Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Its weird how I've never watched, nor felt the desire to, Star Trek Picard yet feel like I've watched the entire series 3 times after hearing this persons take along with Joe's and RLM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I was one of the few people here who loved the first season but even I was disappointed by the second. Too many subplots and ideas jostling for space, including all the retconned stuff about Picard’s childhood that felt super weird to suddenly add to the character after we’ve followed him for years with no mention of it.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

This is a long rear end thread so I'm sure he's already been mentioned before, but I've recently been binge-watching Josh Strife Hayes' Worst MMO Ever? series. I do enjoy how he isn't completely negative on what he's reviewing and actually points out all the good design choices as well as what he personally would have done better, even if I don't always agree. Honestly there are a couple games he looks at that almost make me want to try it out for myself (Vindictus, Warframe) if I wasn't already rotating between FFXIV and Guild Wars 2.

Here's his latest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZshgYbtUmM

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I heard people are saying Strange New Worlds is pretty good? I personally don't mind Discovery so maybe my taste is skewed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

grittyreboot posted:

I heard people are saying Strange New Worlds is pretty good? I personally don't mind Discovery so maybe my taste is skewed.

Its fine. The writing is a bit hokey, but it gets what tone a Star Trek show should have much better than any of the other new Trek shows. Star Trek shows usually have a bad first season anyways, so I could see it turning into something really good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Genthil posted:

This is a long rear end thread so I'm sure he's already been mentioned before, but I've recently been binge-watching Josh Strife Hayes' Worst MMO Ever? series. I do enjoy how he isn't completely negative on what he's reviewing and actually points out all the good design choices as well as what he personally would have done better, even if I don't always agree. Honestly there are a couple games he looks at that almost make me want to try it out for myself (Vindictus, Warframe) if I wasn't already rotating between FFXIV and Guild Wars 2.

Here's his latest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZshgYbtUmM

I don't believe he's been mentioned here before. Haven't been binge-watching it, but I do have a few of the Worst MMO episodes queued up.

He has a second channel, Josh Strife Plays, where he talks about non-MMO games. I watched his videos on Rayman 1 and Harry Potter PS1, and they were both good videos. I've got another one queued up for Baldur's Gate.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 14, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sydin posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong the whole Youtube copyright stuff is awful bullshit and it sucks Joe or any other creator has to put up with it, but the reality is that's just how Youtube is now and if you're going to use it as a platform to review copyrighted media you gotta adapt to it. His refusal to change basically any aspect of his production on a show that's old enough to drive is not doing him any favors.

I'm honestly curious how the youtube striking works because on one hand you'd see video essays get taken down for some short clips, and then those shows that do movie analysis stuff (most notably New Rockstar which can literally churn out mcu / dceu content in 24 hours that aren't pure clickbait content) go so far as to use clips from pirated camrips and nothing happens to them. I'm assuming the editors for the latter have figured out the youtube algorithm to a t?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linkara sub-tweeting this thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Linkara19/status/1523317819001417733

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm honestly curious how the youtube striking works because on one hand you'd see video essays get taken down for some short clips, and then those shows that do movie analysis stuff (most notably New Rockstar which can literally churn out mcu / dceu content in 24 hours that aren't pure clickbait content) go so far as to use clips from pirated camrips and nothing happens to them. I'm assuming the editors for the latter have figured out the youtube algorithm to a t?

If they use footage from camrips, it could be that the low quality doesn't set off Content ID.

I know a lot of people will do things like mirroring footage, shrinking the footage into a window with borders, and other techniques to throw the Content ID bots off from flagging a video. I think it's also why sometimes the audio will be pitched up/down or sped up or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bakeneko posted:

I was one of the few people here who loved the first season but even I was disappointed by the second. Too many subplots and ideas jostling for space, including all the retconned stuff about Picard’s childhood that felt super weird to suddenly add to the character after we’ve followed him for years with no mention of it.

I feel much the same. I liked Season 1 even though it wasn't particularly good, but Season 2 was just godawful to the point where I legitimately wondered if it was some sort of tax write off scheme. It was the most un-Star Trek show I've ever seen, and Picard was already a very un-Trek show in its scope, setting, and philosophical outlook. It looked like they'd fixed that in the first two episodes of Season 2, but then it just immediately crashed and burned once they went back in time and left behind all the actual Star Trek things again.

The phrase "bait and switch" has become played out in modern entertainment discourse because of idiots lacking in media literacy abusing it, but those first two episodes of Season 2 really were some strong bait and switch poo poo by giving people a taste of what they were asking for all this time with the trappings of a proper modern Star Trek show in every sense of the word... and then violently ripping it away to do a modern times plot for the rest of the season because it was cheaper. What a shitshow.

grittyreboot posted:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its fine. The writing is a bit hokey, but it gets what tone a Star Trek show should have much better than any of the other new Trek shows. Star Trek shows usually have a bad first season anyways, so I could see it turning into something really good.

Yeah, after two episodes Strange New Worlds is in fact pretty good. Same with Lower Decks and Prodigy, the two animated shows, each of those is really good and well produced and good Star Trek too. So far it's only Discovery and Picard that blow rear end.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only thing i know about Star Trek Picard 2 is that there's an important character that the writers gave the name Tallinn for some baffling reason

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Empire and Jedi broke the brains of Gen X, the Prequels broke the brains of Millennials, and the Sequels broke the brains of Gen Z. Star Wars movies been crackin' brains like chicken eggs in an incubator, since 1977 baby! :cool:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Star Wars discourse has managed to make me irrationally angry to the point where I have to actively distance myself from the movies and just idk look up battlereports of the star wars legion miniatures game. Side note it does look fun from the videos the 40k in 40 minutes people.

I would have learned more of Star Trek Armada since people liked that game but heard rumors that the new rules were worse somehow.

Will defend lego star wars games those are sincerely good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

Empire and Jedi broke the brains of Gen X, the Prequels broke the brains of Millennials, and the Sequels broke the brains of Gen Z. Star Wars movies been crackin' brains like chicken eggs in an incubator, since 1977 baby! :cool:

Nah it’s more like

The prequels and sequels broke the brains of gen x and older millennials

And everyone else either likes them or doesn’t care enough to be insane about it like the drat olds do

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JelloApocalypse graces us with This Is Basically Genshin Impact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83gLgmynvLM

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I have a very hard time imagining the sequels will ever become loved like the prequels eventually became. They have no plan and they have no charm. The first movie is a new hope but less explicable and with a SUPER death star, then the next two movies are fighting with each other.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

I have a very hard time imagining the sequels will ever become loved like the prequels eventually became. They have no plan and they have no charm. The first movie is a new hope but less explicable and with a SUPER death star, then the next two movies are fighting with each other.

yea the prequels, for all their many flaws, have at least an underlying element of earnestness and charm in them. You could tell that Lucas was at least very genuine about wanting to make a "Darth Vader origin trilogy". With the sequels what even IS the cohesive vision? Is it the Rey Palpatine trillogy? No because all 9 movies are 'The Skywalker Saga' so is it really secretly a Kylo Ren saga with Rey as the framing device? No, because we barely get to see Kylo do anything but be knockoff Vader with a touch of weird incel "WHY ARE YOU WITH THOSE JERK REBELS WHEN I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS YOU???" tone. Is it Luke? No, he's in one movie of the three and while I'm a defender of Last Jedi his actions don't really have any lasting impact on the third movie thanks to the dueling directors and all.

I mean, not even getting into the absolute wall of technical elements wrong in them and poo poo like 'boy you guys really did Finn dirty, you're that opposed to having a black dude in Star Wars be anything but a jive talkin sidekick huh????' those movies don't even seem to know what they're doing.

Suddenly, Palaptine is back.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
(I know the answer is it's the story of Rey taking up the 'Skywalker legacy' but that's so loving meaningless and tacked on at the end I refuse to acknowledge that as a genuine cohesive vision and not just JJ panicking at the last minute)

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Archer666 posted:

Its weird how I've never watched, nor felt the desire to, Star Trek Picard yet feel like I've watched the entire series 3 times after hearing this persons take along with Joe's and RLM.

Yeah, i like Discovery (despite the edginess of Season 1 and that loving plot twist in 3) and i love Lower Decks, but i will probably give Picard a pass. It's possible that i am wrong but the impression i get from reviews i get its like "What if the 24 creators teamed up with Zack Snyder to write a Star trek show"

I will probably enjoy Strange New worlds though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I just dropped season 2 of Picard at like episode 3, just kind of forgot to watch it and the episodes kept piling up until the show finished, haven't bothered picking it back up. It didn't seem too bad then, I guess it got really bad after that?

Haven't bothered with season 4 of Discovery after the bullshit of it getting pulled from Netflix days before season 4 was about to begin and just said "you can watch it when Paramount+ launches in your region, eventually".
The fan backlash from that got them to put it on some lovely not-on-demand steaming service I had never heard of called Pluto.tv, you could only watch it on Fridays at 9pm with ads or some poo poo, like lovely old TV. Didn't even bother trying to watch it.

Paramount+ is finally launching in a week or two in the UK now. They put the first episode of Strange New Worlds up on YouTube for free, but region blocked it of course, fired up my VPN and watched that and I enjoyed it.
I'll probably give Paramount+ a go for a month or two and watch SNW and Prodigy (which was never put on anything over here). Maybe catch up with Disco.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

yea the prequels, for all their many flaws, have at least an underlying element of earnestness and charm in them. You could tell that Lucas was at least very genuine about wanting to make a "Darth Vader origin trilogy". With the sequels what even IS the cohesive vision? Is it the Rey Palpatine trillogy? No because all 9 movies are 'The Skywalker Saga' so is it really secretly a Kylo Ren saga with Rey as the framing device? No, because we barely get to see Kylo do anything but be knockoff Vader with a touch of weird incel "WHY ARE YOU WITH THOSE JERK REBELS WHEN I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS YOU???" tone. Is it Luke? No, he's in one movie of the three and while I'm a defender of Last Jedi his actions don't really have any lasting impact on the third movie thanks to the dueling directors and all.

I mean, not even getting into the absolute wall of technical elements wrong in them and poo poo like 'boy you guys really did Finn dirty, you're that opposed to having a black dude in Star Wars be anything but a jive talkin sidekick huh????' those movies don't even seem to know what they're doing.

Suddenly, Palaptine is back.

It should be mindblowing that Disney spent a shitton of money to buy the rights to Star Wars, only to have 0 vision or direction for the movies and just have the entire franchise flounder around producing a half-baked trilogy and 2 middling side-stories before retiring it to series only. But of course they bought the Star Wars license to get their hands on the merch rights since that poo poo still prints money to this day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archer666 posted:

It should be mindblowing that Disney spent a shitton of money to buy the rights to Star Wars, only to have 0 vision or direction for the movies and just have the entire franchise flounder around producing a half-baked trilogy and 2 middling side-stories before retiring it to series only. But of course they bought the Star Wars license to get their hands on the merch rights since that poo poo still prints money to this day.

While the outrage miners who continually poo poo on Kathleen Kennedy no doubt have enjoyed a lot of things that are directly due to her (but they wouldn't mention it) and mostly poo poo on her 'because woman' she doesn't seem have a plan for Star Wars the way Feige does for the MCU.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

JelloApocalypse graces us with This Is Basically Genshin Impact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83gLgmynvLM

Sad that it's the last This is Basically video.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Incidentally, Feige is producing the next Star Wars movie, to be written by the person who did the Loki series. Since it's a different crew, I wonder of they'll handle it better.
I think what hurts the odds of a reevaluation of the sequels more than anything is that there's hardly anything unique in them. It's all repurposed stuff from the old movies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought purely for merchandising reasons there would have been a lot more new stuff in the sequels but nope.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Spermando posted:

I think what hurts the odds of a reevaluation of the sequels more than anything is that there's hardly anything unique in them. It's all repurposed stuff from the old movies.

The one scene that sticks out from the whole trilogy for me is the silent hyperspace ramming. It sucks that the best scene of the movie also breaks or should revolutionize combat in all of Star Wars.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao that you care at all about that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The one scene that sticks out from the whole trilogy for me is the silent hyperspace ramming. It sucks that the best scene of the movie also breaks or should revolutionize combat in all of Star Wars.

It really doesn't; Ramships (Albeit the non-hyperspace kind) have been a thing in the Legends EU and they're expensive and a waste of a large ship. They can be a spectacular kill if they hit, but you're still burning a ship of near-equal size to the target that can be used for a far more useful things in the long run. Congratulations; You destroyed an expensive capital ship capable of supporting hundreds of subcraft and acting as a mobile logistics base able to cover entire sectors of space to kill a single other ship.

Now what do you do for the rest of the war down a capital ship?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If we’re worried about what’s realistic for spaceships in Star Wars, how did those ones in the last movie just sit underground for decades and then take off into space? And how did they all already have crews? Were they buried with the spaceships?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Honestly the sequels just gave me this depressive uneasy vibe from the very beginning and I cannot explain why.
The small details one likes to nitpick arent the cause, its just an overall vibe.
Though this works both ways, since it also made me miss the parts that (on looking back) I actually did like.

edit: I still love the Elijah wood tweet below tho.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 14, 2022

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really doesn't; Ramships (Albeit the non-hyperspace kind) have been a thing in the Legends EU and they're expensive and a waste of a large ship. They can be a spectacular kill if they hit, but you're still burning a ship of near-equal size to the target that can be used for a far more useful things in the long run. Congratulations; You destroyed an expensive capital ship capable of supporting hundreds of subcraft and acting as a mobile logistics base able to cover entire sectors of space to kill a single other ship.

Now what do you do for the rest of the war down a capital ship?

Interesting! I haven't read Legends since I was a kid in the mid-90s. My thought was that now that the tactic of using speed to ram things in space has been established, why not just strap engines, hyperspace or not, to a couple hundred astroids and send them. No need to waste capital ships.

This really doesn't "bother" me though, it's only that at the time the movie came out I had recently read a couple of sci-fi series including The Expanse where the destructive power of inertia and mass are front and center. Star Wars has always been WW2 in space.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

If we’re worried about what’s realistic for spaceships in Star Wars, how did those ones in the last movie just sit underground for decades and then take off into space? And how did they all already have crews? Were they buried with the spaceships?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nine-gear crow posted:

The sequels kind of annoyed everyone, but they didn't "break" anyone's brains. It's not like it would have even been hard to win everyone over with them. People were excited pre-Episode 7, and when it came out everyone kind of nodded and said it was "alright" because we weren't completely past the "sequels remaking the first movie" thing.

It really should have been a matter of having all 3 directors and whatever script doctors they had sit in a room together for a week or two ahead of the movies to just make a coherent three-party story. But for some reason they decided that "directorial vision" was more important, then the Star Wars execs saw what Book of Henry was like and decided they didn't like Trevorrow's vision anyway oopsie.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Turns out that tweet is 1000% correct

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alacron posted:

Turns out that tweet is 1000% correct

It’s a large mess people can’t help but pick though. Like that genre of podcasts and videos about engineering disasters, but there’s magic space samurai.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've completely run out of excitement for Star Wars and feel like anything I consume from the property at this point is out of some kind of weird nostalgia-driven obligation. Even Mando which initially rekindled an actual joy in me ended up devolving into a bloated mess that's more concerned with setting up spin-off shows than actually telling its own interesting and cohesive narrative.

Like I've reached a space where I know 100% that I'm gonna watch the Obi-Wan show but I'm not even remotely looking forward to or excited about it. I don't know why Star Wars and Star Wars alone does this to me but I feel like I'm slowly shrinking into a simulacrum of the RLM guys continuing to watch Picard even though they've long since decided they loving loath it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

The sequels kind of annoyed everyone, but they didn't "break" anyone's brains.

Last Jedi didn't?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Last Jedi didn't?

Rise of Skywalker certainly did. If only as a mentally-taxing and irredeemably-vapid piece of cinema.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Last Jedi broke the collective brain of society for a bit if only because it was the movie that ended up being fully subsumed in the culture war for god knows what reason. I knew people IRL who were legit offended when I told them I didn't like it - not solely because they did like it - but because they took disliking TLJ as some kind of dog whistle for being a conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sydin posted:

I've completely run out of excitement for Star Wars and feel like anything I consume from the property at this point is out of some kind of weird nostalgia-driven obligation. Even Mando which initially rekindled an actual joy in me ended up devolving into a bloated mess that's more concerned with setting up spin-off shows than actually telling its own interesting and cohesive narrative.

Like I've reached a space where I know 100% that I'm gonna watch the Obi-Wan show but I'm not even remotely looking forward to or excited about it. I don't know why Star Wars and Star Wars alone does this to me but I feel like I'm slowly shrinking into a simulacrum of the RLM guys continuing to watch Picard even though they've long since decided they loving loath it.
Mandalorian's success is what is going to kill it. The fact that Disney didn't have Baby Yoda merchandise right away shows they didn't have high hopes it would be successful, so they weren't as likely to interfere. Now that its highly popular, they are going to run that poo poo into the ground. Ghost Yoda is probably going to show up next season.

-edit

Sydin posted:

Last Jedi broke the collective brain of society for a bit if only because it was the movie that ended up being fully subsumed in the culture war for god knows what reason. I knew people IRL who were legit offended when I told them I didn't like it - not solely because they did like it - but because they took disliking TLJ as some kind of dog whistle for being a conservative.

I don't think Disney was doing it in this scenario, but I think its a result of the recent marketing trend of trying to paint not liking a movie as being racist/sexist. Now not liking a piece of media can be a moral failure.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 14, 2022