Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I played two games last night and every single opponent was calling every single time they were able. At one point the three of them got into a pon chain and I couldn't draw a tile for an eternity. I of course got ron'd by each of them for 1000 points at a time. Insanely frustrating. I hate the bronze table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Not drawing is hard but making a rule that I can't unless I have a near certain yaku has helped. My last game I riichi'd twice, once for enough points to outlast the surging Adept 3 who made a late run for the win. Got my promotion with that 1st place! :toot:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Is there an easy way to see the final scoreboard for each hand without playing through it in the log? I'm wondering what this Ippatsu thing was

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

You get ippatsu if you get a win on the first turn around after declaring riichi

defensive play is never bad after someone has riichi'd but the threat of ippatsu means that on that first go around after they declare you want to make doubly sure you dont play into a ron

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Ippatsu translates roughly to "one-shot." If you ron (or tsumo, I think) before your next discard after declaring riichi, you get more points.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

also good to note that any tile calls immediately end the ippatsu period

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks all. Most be why with that and all the doras I scored so high

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I just watched all of the animes in a row. I have achieved nyaa overdose

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I went from a 50000 point lead to second place last night

I put 100 hours into Elden Ring and I never got half as furious as I do at the loving baby's table in mahjong

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Heath posted:

I went from a 50000 point lead to second place last night

I put 100 hours into Elden Ring and I never got half as furious as I do at the loving baby's table in mahjong

:same:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Past two games I surged out to an early lead only to see it dwindle to second place after not drawing anything in the rest of the game. Its some game alright.

So I have a quarter million bronze coins already. Just what the heck am I supposed to do with them?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nothin

Or buy the blue gifts to raise your characters friendship or burn for dust to roll for a very low chance of new characters

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Save them until you get close to maxing out a character's bond level, then buy the spheres you're missing to unlock their alternate outfit

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

I just watched all of the animes in a row. I have achieved nyaa overdose

haha last game one of my friends mentioned the anime. I watched the first episode, it seems pretty cute

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

silvergoose posted:

Nothin

Or buy the blue gifts to raise your characters friendship or burn for dust to roll for a very low chance of new characters

I'm going to use Ichihime forever in the hopes her screeching loud shouts tilts opponent that is playing with volume on. I also like her enthusiasm :kimchi:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

haha last game one of my friends mentioned the anime. I watched the first episode, it seems pretty cute

It is, and its bonkers and apparently plays with anime tropes too? IDK, I don't watch a great many animes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How do you even spend the copper?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Heath posted:

How do you even spend the copper?

there's a section in the shop that you can use it in

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Man, snakebit right now

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The first season of Shiniki League played its first 3 games a few hours ago. It's a league where four M League pro players (Ooi Takaharu, Matsumoto Yoshihiro, Suzuki Taro and Murakami Jun) drafted teams of VTubers and play a schedule of 30 hanchans over 10 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N7cLF8C8Pg

This being Mahjong, of course two of the pros who played today finished last and one finished first.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Feel bad, I had to bail on a game. It was going excruciatingly slowly and I needed to make a food pick up. Everyone had to agonize over each discard. Well, everyone other than the player that disconnected in the first hand otherwise I'd feel worse.

e. lol I still placed second (it was the second to final hand that I had to leave)

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 10, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Tbh just set it to auto discard and see where you end up. You may not even lose!

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

A fun round. (Maybe not for the person to my left.)

Always remember. No matter how badly you play, there's always the option of holding a round hostage until you win.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nice! Seeing how you can link back to replays is cool.

I just finished off my morning round with one of the stronger hands I've scrounged so far. Got my first cat in sunglasses icons on my progress chart too :cool:

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Just gonna leave some of my favorite clips from the recent M League semi-finals and finals here...

Ooi agonizing over a discard, desperately trying to keep his dealership after Tojyo riichi'd with 4 visible dora.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k4DZoMTtXk

Tojyo with a 12,000 hit on Date, who mistakenly thinks 5s is safe after Tojyo discards two 4s from hand and Hori discards an 8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9bXi5enwIA

Uotani gets into tenpai for yakuman, Four Little Winds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrBPFN-hVs

Kondo gets a Baiman on a furiten tsumo in the last game of the finals to (temporarily) put his team in the lead for the championship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1McaugxRyg

Okada, Kondo and Hinata all get into tenpai at South 4 with chance for first, pain ensues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXpmoRDJiE

Hinata overhauls a 30k deficit by getting a direct hit on a shocked Asakura, followed by a 18,000 tsumo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYmOglGTmGQ

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Those are some pretty spectacular agony faces

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

In trying to get better at Mahjong, I have gotten worse.

In the past few months, I have gone from about to rank into Expert to about to fall back to Adept 1. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I definitely need to learn to defend better. I'm always walking into decent hits.

Also I shouldn't be diddling around on my phone between my discards, but, ya know.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Go RV! posted:

I definitely need to learn to defend better.

Also I shouldn't be diddling around on my phone between my discards

Those two are very much related. You need to pay attention to what the others are doing* to defend

*or not doing...if someone declares riichi and you can't see a single dora in the discards you should be very scared instead of trying to push that 2000 point hand

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the two most helpful things to learn for discard reading are visible dora, and spotting when someone is going for/likely tenpai for flush

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Morning game was blessed, could do no wrong, won all but one hand, two Mangan and another Baiman. This too will regress back to the mean but hopefully not before I promote to Adept (I am just 8 points away :ohdear: )

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 11, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Got my promotion scroll tonight! :toot:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Got my promotion scroll tonight! :toot:

Does it make sense to move to silver room asap or keep going at bronze for a bit? Coppers are not a limiting factor at all

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I was recommended all the way last year when I started playing to just move up to Silver Room, and I'll pass that recommendation on to you. You'll have somewhat better opponents to push you to improve your skill. If you're interested in South-round games (which allow for a little more consistent play), it's much easier to queue up for those. And you can start earning items that will let you engage with the gacha system if that's something that interests you. (You get free items as you play, items can be converted into stardust, stardust can be converted into summon scrolls.) And as far as ranking goes, points are biased towards ranking you up to Adept 3, even with average play. Ranking from there out of the Adept level will require you to be better than the room as a whole, of course, but that will come with experience, time, and patience.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MrBlarney posted:

I was recommended all the way last year when I started playing to just move up to Silver Room, and I'll pass that recommendation on to you. You'll have somewhat better opponents to push you to improve your skill. If you're interested in South-round games (which allow for a little more consistent play), it's much easier to queue up for those. And you can start earning items that will let you engage with the gacha system if that's something that interests you. (You get free items as you play, items can be converted into stardust, stardust can be converted into summon scrolls.) And as far as ranking goes, points are biased towards ranking you up to Adept 3, even with average play. Ranking from there out of the Adept level will require you to be better than the room as a whole, of course, but that will come with experience, time, and patience.

Thank you for this. Finally making adept makes worrying about ranking less and I can continue to focus on improving play. Nothing more satisfying than pulling out a last minute big hand to jump into first for the round.

I assume south rounds play east then south, so a longer game? Somehow one of my more recent matches in east game rotated into a south round as well, which was weird but ok.

At what point will my stats even out to be interpretable with any meaning? Only 46 games played so far so no statistical power yet for sure.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you go into overtime rounds if no player has over 30,000 points at the end of the game (this is because technically your starting score is 30k with a 5k ante). there is a niche desperation tactic when you're in last place to force overtime if you can't directly overtake anybody else in points

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
anybody want to play friendly match

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Bilirubin posted:

I assume south rounds play east then south, so a longer game? Somehow one of my more recent matches in east game rotated into a south round as well, which was weird but ok.

At what point will my stats even out to be interpretable with any meaning? Only 46 games played so far so no statistical power yet for sure.
Correct. Personally I find south games to be less of a scramble for points and more fun overall. Lots more opportunities for strategic thinking. You can take your time and wait for a good hand to come along instead of being forced to settle for cheap hands and risk dealing in with calls.

I think 100 games is the usual benchmark?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

sometimes you run cold, sometimes hot. So far am liking silver room much better though!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Big Mackson posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ouch! so close!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath