Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It's the thread everyone has been waiting for... The catchall Mahjong thread.

What is mahjong?

Mahjong is a tile-based game that was developed in China during the Qing dynasty and has spread throughout the world since the early 20th century. It is commonly played by four players (with some three-player variations found in South Korea, Japan and Southeast Asia). The game and its regional variants are widely played throughout Eastern and South Eastern Asia. Similar to the Western card game rummy, Mahjong is a game of skill, strategy, and calculation and involves a degree of chance.

The game is played with a set of 144 tiles based on Chinese characters and symbols, although some regional variations may omit some tiles and/or add unique tiles. In most variations, each player begins by receiving 13 tiles. In turn players draw and discard tiles until they complete a legal hand using the 14th drawn tile to form 4 melds (or sets) and a pair (eye). A player can also win with a small class of special hands.

Some Clarification

It sounds simple enough but the game has about a thousand variants ranging from very simple to very complex. In the west Chinese communities regularly play numerous regional variants of Chinese Mahjong, older non-chinese in the US will sometimes play the simplified American "Mahjongg" and most everyone else ends up teaching themselves Riichi (or Japanese Mahjong). Riichi Mahjong is considered the most complex form of Mahjong and has a healthy but very small player pool outside of Japan. Inside Japan it is very popular and there are professional Riichi players.

This thread will be for discussing all forms of Mahjong but probably this op will Primarily focus on Riichi Mahjong.

Riichi Mahjong

Japanese Mahjong uses 136 tiles, has many unique rules, and has a complex and initially very confusing scoring system. Also compared most other forms of Mahjong, playing defensively in Riichi is rewarded more. Those are the main macro differences between Japanese Mahjong and other Mahjong styles. Typing out all the nuances and rules here would take up a lot of time and space and I would do a poor job so I'm going to provide some links and resources for getting started. Below is Gandhitron's post for basic basic play in order to complete a Mahjong mission in Yakuza 0.

GANDHITRON posted:

There are three suites—circles, bamboo, and Chinese characters. Each suit has tiles 1-9, and there are four copies of each.

There's also "honor" tiles: four winds (East, South, West, and North) and three dragons (white, green, red), all with four copies each.

(Every round has a "prevailing wind" and every player has a "seat wind" assigned to them that occasionally changes. So if your seat wind is west and the prevailing wind is north, keep an eye out for west and north wind tiles while discarding south and east tiles. The whole table shares the prevailing wind, so in this example everyone else is also keeping an eye out for the north wind tiles.)

To win a hand, you need a pair of any tile as well as four sets of three. A set of three can be a sequence of numbers in the same suite (like 2-3-4 bamboo) or a triplet of any of the suites or honor tiles (2-2-2 of characters, or three of the same dragon or wind). You also need a "yaku," which is basically something special about your hand that gives it a greater point value. The yaku requirement for a winning hand is what makes riichi / Japanese mahjong a little more complicated from the original Chinese version.

The game will give you the option of stealing other players' discarded tiles to complete a sequence (chi) or a triplet (pon), but stealing kind of fucks you over. This is because when you steal a tile, you "open" your hand to reveal what the stolen tile completes, and having an open hand disqualifies you from some of the more common ways of winning, most notably riichi, which I'll explain later.

(This concept of open and concealed hands and how yaku apply to all concealed hands but only some open hands is the thing most people have trouble with starting out. The only time you should feel comfortable stealing when you're a beginner is when you have a triplet of any dragon, or a triplet of your seat wind or the prevailing wind. There are a couple other conditions where stealing is fine, but I don't remember them right now. But if you start with two or three of an honor tile, go nuts.)

Declaring "riichi" is the most common way to win with a closed hand. Basically, you bet a couple thousand points or something that you're one tile away from winning, you lock in thirteen of your fourteen tiles, and continuously discard the fourth while hoping to steal the winning tile from another player ("ron") or draw it yourself for extra points ("tsumo").

(When opponents declare riichi, a good player will observe their opponent's discards to try to discern what they need to win, because if someone steals one of your tiles to win, you have to pay them the points.)

I think the last thing that can gently caress you over is if you are one tile away from winning, you cannot steal that winning tile if you discarded a copy of it earlier in the game. This is called "furiten," and it's something to watch out for when declaring riichi.

If you want an easy time, try discarding 1. winds that are not your seat / prevailing wind 2. all honor tiles you don't already have at least two of and then 3. ones and nines of bamboo/circle/character ("terminals," meaning they are the terminals of the 1-2-3 and 7-8-9 sequences).

Gandhitron's writeup is very basic and while it won't have you consistently winning against humans it can get you going enough to mess around on some cpu games to experiment and learn from your mistakes.

Getting started

Read page 46 to 104 of this book before you really start dipping into the game (seriously, just do it). This section covers the very basics of hand construction that will save you a lot of time, questions and frustrations. It's basically a section covering the backbone of the game.
https://dainachiba.github.io/RiichiBooks/index.html

After looking that over try and play around against the cpu in one of these free Riichi games

Noten Riichi Mahjong (app for android)
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html (online flash Mahjong)

After messing around with declaring riichi with a closed hand and Yakuhai with an open hand (normal hand but with a triplet of dragons, prevailing wind or your wind) consult this Yaku list and start trying to construct other scoring hands/combine your scoring. This list has a visual aid and yaku grouped by how much they score, attempting lower scoring yaku will obviously be easier. I strongly recommend learning Tanyao as your third winning condition as it is very common and simple.
http://arcturus.su/wiki/List_of_yaku

Once you've messed around in one of those games for a bit and you're comfortable with basic hand construction, declaring riichi, and creating basic open hands that score it's time to step up to the big leagues and join the scary world of Tenhou.

Tenhou

Tenhou is the site for online Riichi play. It has something like 500,000 active users and attracts all types of players from scrubs to pros. You are ranked as you play and higher tier rooms will become available to you the higher up you rank.

quote:

It has become a common understanding among players in Japan that your rank and rating on Tenhou are one of the most reliable indicators of your mahjong skill levels.
Rank is pretty easy to gain and hard to lose at the beginning of your career so don't stress on it.

Tenhou handles the game very well, looks slick, offers nice stat tracking, and has a great replay feature where you can rewatch your games play by play. That being said Tenhou it is also a one man project and is very very barebones. There are no avatars, flashy graphics, customizable tilesets, voicepackages or anything like that.

To get started playing on Tenhou install this chrome Tenhou English extension first! It will translate everything happening in the webclient and replaces the base tileset with a gaijin friendly tileset that has arabic numerals for base tiles, and translations for winds and dragon tiles.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tenhou-english-ui/cbomnmkpjmleifejmnjhfnfnpiileiin

Then just click this link to access the web client
http://tenhou.net/3/

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Reserved post

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Sidenote- I only started learning riichi mahjong because trying to track down information on how to play, or where to play, one of the 1,000 forms of chinese mahjong and it's near impossible. I used to play a form of Chinese Mahjong many years ago and I picked up Riichi to re-familiarize myself with mahjong so I can begin playing some of the Chinese versions in person again. Anyways feel free to discuss all forms of mahjong and info on Chinese/other rule sets is cool to post here as well.

Also I will probably abandon this thread after I get bored with Tenhou but right now it's pretty fun. The message you get when they promote you is inspiring

(6th Kyuu now for the record!)

Also I'm finally getting a little more experience and actually doing ok in some rounds.

Nothing crazy but it feels good.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 18, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've always been curious why it's spelled with 2 Gs. Apparently, the Mandarin name mah jiang is a reverse transliteration of a madeup name:

quote:

In the very earliest known writings about the game (the 1890s), the game was referred to by various names, among them chung fa, que ma que or ma que (in Cantonese: mah cheuk ). The game was not called "mahjong" by the Chinese who played it, and that name was not used until the early 1900s.

When Joseph Park Babcock undertook to introduce the game to the USA in 1920, he decided that it would be beneficial to give the game a name that he could trademark. (He was a pretty sharp cookie.) For reasons known only to himself, he decided "mahjong" would sound better (more Chinese-sounding, I guess) than mah que, and he decided to write it as "Mah-Jongg," with the hyphen and the two G's. So that's why today the game isn't called "Mah Que" - blame it on Babcock.
http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq/mjfaq11.html

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It used to be 麻雀 but Mandarin speakers use 麻將 these days.

Anyway I downloaded the Noten app and screwed around a little (it really eats battery for some reason). I'm getting a bit of a feel for winning rounds but the scoring is still a complete mystery to me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I prefer 麻婆, personally :v:

I got really hooked on this game thanks to Yakuza. I’m still terrible at it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I wish there was a iPhone riichi app like that flash game. All of them are either bloated with worthless features or are terribly optimized.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

I wish there was a iPhone riichi app like that flash game. All of them are either bloated with worthless features or are terribly optimized.

Mahjong Demon is a really good single player Mahjong app. It runs fast and it’s easy to customize it to whatever Riichi ruleset you prefer.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

P-Mack posted:

It used to be 麻雀 but Mandarin speakers use 麻將 these days.

Anyway I downloaded the Noten app and screwed around a little (it really eats battery for some reason). I'm getting a bit of a feel for winning rounds but the scoring is still a complete mystery to me.

That's weird, it doesnt seem to effect my phone much. But for the scoring think of it a bit like poker, the more complex your hand the better it is. So for instance winning with a riichi and nothing else special about your hand is like winning a poker pot with an ace high or pair instead of say, a straight or fullhouse (obviously in poker it doesn't matter so long as you win but I'm trying to draw a lovely analogy).

Dora is a simple concept that provides an extra han in scoring. It's worth getting down when you're starting. If you look at the deadwall each round (end of the wall where tiles don't get drawn from) there will be one tile face up. If you have the tile after that tile in your winning hand, it's considered "dora" and is 1 han. So for instance, if a bamboo 5 is showing, having a sequence in your hand with a bamboo 6 will score. If a 9 value tile is facing up then it means the 1 tile of that suit is a dora, so a 9 circle tile showing means that a 1 circle will count towards dora. So if you have a dora qualifying tile it's worth thinking about holding onto it even if it isn't readily suited to scoring a run or triplet. The dora sequence of winds and dragons is a bit more annoying to remember so I'll skip that.

Speaking of, one of my bad habits at the moment is chasing points from Akadora. I hold onto certain Akadora tiles too long, longer than normal dora scoring tiles. The cool color and versatility of having a 5 is tempting, even if it's getting late and it's not part of meld.

Akadora are the red color 5 tiles. Each suit has one red 5 tile out of the four total tiles. So there will be 3 akadora in the whole set. Akadora adds another han to your score like dora. In that big Chinitsu hand I posted above i had an akadora in my kan call. The extra han gave me six total bringing me up to Hanneman.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 18, 2018

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the real power is being able to combine fan, even a simple hand like riichi tsumo pinfu tanyao dora is worth a mangan.

the dora order of dragons is W G R, I remember it with the mnemonic "wiggler".

the dora order of winds is E S W N, I don't have a good mnemonic for it yet.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

the real power is being able to combine fan, even a simple hand like riichi tsumo pinfu tanyao dora is worth a mangan.

Username thread title combo

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Eh, swan.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also if there is any interest I'm thinking about setting up a mini discord and getting some people together to play private tenhou games. We could have a set night or time, you only need three people. Tenhou doesn't have in game chat even in privates so discord would make the most sense.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm really struggling at keeping my offense in check and playing more defensively. I love open hands. That being said some presumably japanese dude named "dontrump" was crushing my room yesterday so I used at as practice at playing safe and got 2nd. Seeing someone get roned for 15k+ is terrible lol, I always feel for them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any good clients + AI for non-riichi variants?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Used to play a bunch of private Tenhou a few years ago. There's nothing quite like the feeling when three players have called riichi and you're the only one who has to make choices. :shepicide:

Staying closed unless you have a very good reason to open is definitely the way to go. Though I like chasing quick garbage 1ks when that gets me in the lead or I'm dealer.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Staying closed unless you have a very good reason to open is definitely the way to go. Though I like chasing quick garbage 1ks when that gets me in the lead or I'm dealer.

If I have I viable yakuhai or tanyao off the bat I find it kind of easy to get a dora or akadora on top of it which scores ok. But yea I'm probably opening up too much.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All the chinese stuff seems to be behind the great firewall and built with only chinese users in mind. I found an explanation for Sichuan mahjong and a Sichuan app as well but it was a tencent app and I'm pretty sure there's like chinese malware bundled with that stuff (?) so I passed.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

EaSt WiNd?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Order of cardinal directions clockwise.

What's hosed up though is that the seating order clockwise is reversed, E N W S. Just mahjong things.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God dammit you've got me playing Mahjongg (really badly) again.

On the one hand I wish this was more prevalent in the U.S. because it's a great game and I'd watch the poo poo out of the World Series of Mahjong (assuming I understood it better than I do). But on the other hand, if there's a game out there that could turn me into a degenerate gambler it'd probably be this one.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I was in tenpai like 4 times in one set and didn't win one round. gently caress.

Anyways. I'm thinking about private tenhou games via discord. I was thinking on having a set time. Sunday evening est sound good for anyone interested?

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 22, 2018

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Here's the link to the discord

https://discord.gg/YhzQ63

Hopefully three of you will join me tomorrow evening and will play some tenhou. I'm trash so don't worry about how much you know.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Here's the link to the discord

https://discord.gg/YhzQ63

Hopefully three of you will join me tomorrow evening and will play some tenhou. I'm trash so don't worry about how much you know.

It said invite expired :shrug:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

P-Mack posted:

It said invite expired :shrug:

I dont really know how discord works, I'll try to make a permanent link

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Here we go. Old one expired in a day apparently

https://discord.gg/gm5YpxD

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hell yeah, sign me up. I'm back on Tenhou nowadays but it's gotten markedly harder to compete - I assume that there's slightly less players and the ones who are sticking around are flat-out better at the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Seltzer posted:

I was in tenpai like 4 times in one set and didn't win one round. gently caress.

Anyways. I'm thinking about private tenhou games via discord. I was thinking on having a set time. Sunday evening est sound good for anyone interested?

I had like four perfect pinfu waits go to draws and then I won two straight furiten riichi declarations. Mahjong.

dragons are colors in alphabetical order starting with green, winds is clockwise on a compass face

Stelas posted:

Hell yeah, sign me up. I'm back on Tenhou nowadays but it's gotten markedly harder to compete - I assume that there's slightly less players and the ones who are sticking around are flat-out better at the game.

there's a lot more english-language strategy literature these days, so if you're playing in western prime hours, the western players are much less likely to be really bad at the game.

by the way, for the OP, this is almost an essential link: Why won't the computer let me declare mahjong? http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq/yaku/yaku.htm

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 30, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Four Winds is ancient (though still supported for modern OS compatibility) but has like literally every variant on it and an impossible amount of rule customization. I think the only thing it doesn't support out of box is American/NMJL style, probably because the contents of the NMJL cards is copyrighted.

https://www.4windsmj.com/

it also supports rarely-seen features like allowing you to make bad declarations and getting penalized (if you need to practice stuff like complex waits for real-life play).

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 30, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Four Winds is ancient (though still supported for modern OS compatibility) but has like literally every variant on it and an impossible amount of rule customization. I think the only thing it doesn't support out of box is American/NMJL style, probably because the contents of the NMJL cards is copyrighted.

https://www.4windsmj.com/

it also supports rarely-seen features like allowing you to make bad declarations and getting penalized (if you need to practice stuff like complex waits for real-life play).

Thanks! I'm both a huge baby who doesn't want to deal with learning yaku and I live in a neighborhood that is predominantly Jewish and Chinese, so I have no real interest in learning the Japanese version when it's probably not what anyone around me plays.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
proper/modern chinese mahjong has even more hands to learn than riichi, honestly the yaku list isn't that hard once you realize that a lot of them are upgraded versions or "opposite" versions of other yaku

like IIRC "proper" chinese is: must have 8 points from a combination of like a hundred hand types, while riichi is just "one yaku" where riichi and closed tsumo with any valid hand structure always count if you have nothing else

i think the simplest form of mahjong that people actually play is "old hong kong mahjong" (chinese classical is also simple but nobody actually plays it)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 30, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

proper/modern chinese mahjong has even more hands to learn than riichi, honestly the yaku list isn't that hard once you realize that a lot of them are upgraded versions or "opposite" versions of other yaku

like IIRC "proper" chinese is: must have 8 points from a combination of like a hundred hand types, while riichi is just "one yaku" where riichi and closed tsumo always count if you have nothing else

i think the simplest form of mahjong that people actually play is "old hong kong mahjong" (chinese classical is also simple but nobody actually plays it)

well this complicates matters but i still appreciate having a wide array of options, in any case

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
american mahjong is also complex and primarily exists to give Jewish grandmothers an extremely complicated ruleset to argue with each other about

also it's the one where you literally have to buy a card every year to get the valid hands

e) really, the hardest part of Japanese/riichi to learn is the weird-rear end scoring system, and even that's OK to just fudge if you only plan to play online or on the computer.

also, furiten is kind of a pain to learn, though you get the hang of it after a week of play or so. there are other weird rule exceptions but a lot of these apply to like 0.01% of game situations.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 30, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is probably my favorite cheat sheet for yaku btw, I particularly like the dots to show which ones are the most common. My only real problem is the non-standard english terms for them , eg "three-color chi" instead of "mixed triple chow" but the Japanese terms should be learned anyway.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Vjevtlm-y2d2MxTmxWOEhWaU0/view

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Off topic but what's that completely insane mah jong anime called?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Off topic but what's that completely insane mah jong anime called?

Akagi is the one where people are constantly staking their lives and getting blood transfusions and there's a match that's been going on for like 20 years of real time.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
akagi finally ended a few months ago

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I got hooked on the game thanks to my inlaws. My wife and I go back to NYC every year for the Holidays. We stay at the in-law's house and I end up playing - I look at the money I lose as "rent."

To practice I use "HK Mahjong." It's a phone app. This is the closest I've found to the version my wife's parents play. The AI is decent, but not amazing. It's a good practice tool for learning the basics.

The big difference I notice is that the game artificially stops when there's a tile you could pick up - in real life, they just keep playing and if you missed it, too bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
playing in real life is a completely different game almost, you have to be very careful about stuff like waits on flush hands because it's really, really easy to get into furiten, or even calling empty riichi on those without realizing it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Akagi is the one where people are constantly staking their lives and getting blood transfusions and there's a match that's been going on for like 20 years of real time.

And Saki is the one where everyone has a Mahjong-related superpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tamba posted:

And Saki is the one where everyone has a Mahjong-related superpower.

And Koizumi is the one where world leaders cheat their asses off while conducting politics via mahjong.