Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The bike part pipeline is utterly hosed and entirely tilted towards new bikes right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Xaris posted:

i rode my bike for the first time in like 3 years up to a campus event because i knew it was also grad weekend and were a zillion suv-trucks. drat i really need to work on cleaning up and tuning. derailleurs no longer went past 1-2 and would stick requiring super heavy presses, and my rubber handebars were disintegrating rubbing plastic-rubber poo poo all over, and the back brake barely gripped enough to stop going downhill.+ i guess bike parts are still hosed up? what is a good brand for brakes/deraileurs that's still somehow affordable and in stock?

Drop it off at a local bike shop for a tune up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You don't really have an option here, there's Shimano / SRAM / Campagnolo and then there's whatever the boxed bike people are selling

You are honestly 100% better off buying a new bike than you are trying to make an old one serviceable at this point with regards to parts

https://99spokes.com/bikes/giant/2020/contend-ar-1

was like moving to an entirely different world.
i should probably go that route, this was a cheapo 2015 $390 trek fx7.2 so it was alreayd kinda skimpy on the parts, and also the seat kinda sucks. at this point since i pretty much have to replace almost every part, a new one may be better. i'll see if i can find one locally

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

i should probably go that route, this was a cheapo 2015 $390 trek fx7.2 so it was alreayd kinda skimpy on the parts. i'll see if i can find one locally

If you can't find anything new locally, Craigslist is pretty good with bikes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You probably literally just need to try to remove rust from the chain or clean the derailleur or something.

Also you can probably still get the $15 derailleurs that would be on that bike easily, not that you probably actually need to replace the derailleur.

mystes has issued a correction as of 03:28 on May 14, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

You probably literally just need to clean the derailleur or try to remove rust from the chain or something.

The rubber disintegrating on the grips probably won't be fixed with a simple chain scrub, but I may not understand bike maintenance.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The rubber disintegrating on the grips probably won't be fixed with a simple chain scrub, but I may not understand bike maintenance.
Yeah you might also need to buy handlebar grips for $5-$10

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Xaris posted:

i rode my bike for the first time in like 3 years up to a campus event because i knew it was also grad weekend and were a zillion suv-trucks. drat i really need to work on cleaning up and tuning. derailleurs no longer went past 1-2 and would stick requiring super heavy presses, and my rubber handebars were disintegrating rubbing plastic-rubber poo poo all over, and the back brake barely gripped enough to stop going downhill.+ i guess bike parts are still hosed up? what is a good brand for brakes/deraileurs that's still somehow affordable and in stock?

Unless the derailleurs are actually damaged, all that can be fixed with a tune up. Except the grips disintegrating, you're gonna need new ones.

At worst you need new cables, brake pads, and a chain, the rest is adjustments, cleaning, and lube.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Grips are like 10 bucks cheap, just bring it to a shop and have them tune up the shifters and stuff for like 50 bucks and have a decent working bike

mystes
May 31, 2006

I still regularly ride a bike from 1997 that hasn't even really been stored in great conditions or anything so lol at the idea of just tossing out a bike from 2015 just because it's not shifting well.

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Yeah you might also need to buy handlebar grips for $5-$10

Any bike that's been stored for so long that the handlebar grips are decaying has more problems than just the grips.

Also hybrid bikes suck

Apr 7, 2003

Also hybrid bikes suck

I'm also probably just an insane gotta-go-fast rear end in a top hat and my opinion on bikes for casuals can probably be ignored. Riding my old hybrid after getting a decent road bike is like pulling teeth.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mystes posted:

You probably literally just need to try to remove rust from the chain or clean the derailleur or something.
i did try wd40 and then added chain lube after, but tbh all the parts were already fairly low-quality junk when it was brand new, as trek was skimping at that point. but the shifters are also all cracked and stiff and the cables need to be entirely redone as well. at this point i need to replace a) shifters, b) seat, c) handlebar grips, d) brakes, e) redo both brake and gear line, and f) tires are mostly bald and not holding air super well. about the only thing good is the frame but it's not a light-weight frame, just a standard hybrid one that's about 50 ls. a shop is prob gunna run at least $350 in total? idk i'd like something lighter

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:37 on May 14, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

i did try wd40 and then added chain lube after, but tbh all the parts were already fairly low-quality junk when it was brand new, as trek was skimping at that point. but the shifters are also all cracked and stiff and the cables need to be entirely redone as well. at this point i need to replace a) shifters, b) seat, c) handlebar grips, d) brakes, e) redo both brake and gear lines. about the only thing good is the frame but it's not a light-weight frame, just a standard hybrid one that's about 50 ls. a shop is prob gunna run at least $350 in total? idk i'd like something lighter

Just go get yourself a nice modern bike and donate the frame to a bike rebuild org and ignore these guys.

Troll craigslist if you're worried about sustainability, everyone who was horned up about riding in the past two years and is back at applebees is selling their poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also hybrid bikes suck
Seriously don't bother coming to this thread if you're going to be like "road bikes are the only bikes worth using."

We get that you're a typical american who only understand bikes as a toy that you like to ride fast recreationally as an outlet for your midlife crisis so maybe go to the bike racing thread.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The great thing about people getting rid of a bike because it's not shifting well or the grips are falling apart is that i can buy it at the thrift store for $15 and spend $50 on chain, cables and grips and a little time cleaning it up and have a bike that works like new

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Seriously don't bother coming to this thread if you're going to be like "road bikes are the only bikes worth using."

We get that you're a typical american who only understand bikes as a toy that you like to ride fast recreationally as an outlet for your midlife crisis so maybe go to the bike racing thread.

Yeah, I covered that poo poo in my succeeding post

Anyone riding a Trek isn't concerned with that, the people who actually need bikes are riding Walmart Schwinns.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anyone riding a Trek isn't concerned with that, the people who actually need bikes are riding Walmart Schwinns.
Oh now we've moved on to "only poor people ride bikes for transportation"

Apr 7, 2003

I understand that you're doing a whole lot to own me in this thread but it isn't working, quit being an rear end in a top hat and just post normally.

e: what a loving world where we both posted this dumb poo poo simultaneously

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tori watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aESqrP3hfi8

Apr 7, 2003

Sure.

Apr 7, 2003

I watched enough of it to get what you're trying to say. It's a meaningless argument in a modern American landscape where you're going to get run over whether your bike is a 18 lb roadie bike or a 40 lb commuter brick.

I will die regardless of what I ride on a long enough timeline if I try to commute to work on a bike. The problem is American laws wrt cars, not who rides what.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Xaris posted:

i did try wd40 and then added chain lube after, but tbh all the parts were already fairly low-quality junk when it was brand new, as trek was skimping at that point. but the shifters are also all cracked and stiff and the cables need to be entirely redone as well. at this point i need to replace a) shifters, b) seat, c) handlebar grips, d) brakes, e) redo both brake and gear line, and f) tires are mostly bald and not holding air super well. about the only thing good is the frame but it's not a light-weight frame, just a standard hybrid one that's about 50 ls. a shop is prob gunna run at least $350 in total? idk i'd like something lighter

Small quibble, but if you actually want to lubricate your bike, use actual oil/grease and not WD40. You can used WD40 for the initial cleaning/blasting, but then put real lubricant on.

In other news I read this:
https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a32257789/vehicular-cycling-advocate-john-forester-dies-at-90/
John Forester was right about his opposition to Bike Lanes, AT THE TIME, however it was because he was kind of an idiot, and didn't have the imagination to consider a separate/dedicated bike infrastructure in addition to a revisioned Urban landscape where you didn't have to bike 10+ miles to go to the grocery store.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dog Case posted:

The great thing about people getting rid of a bike because it's not shifting well or the grips are falling apart is that i can buy it at the thrift store for $15 and spend $50 on chain, cables and grips and a little time cleaning it up and have a bike that works like new

How many bikes do you actually need though?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Small quibble, but if you actually want to lubricate your bike, use actual oil/grease and not WD40. You can used WD40 for the initial cleaning/blasting, but then put real lubricant on.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a32257789/vehicular-cycling-advocate-john-forester-dies-at-90/
John Forester was right about his opposition to Bike Lanes, AT THE TIME, however it was because he was kind of an idiot, and didn't have the imagination to consider a separate/dedicated bike infrastructure in addition to a revisioned Urban landscape where you didn't have to bike 10+ miles to go to the grocery store.
He was absolutely not right at the time and he prevented bike infrastructure from being built when it might have still been possible with his misinformation and fake engineering book, and by convincing recreational cycling groups to literally fight against bike infrastructure as representatives of bike users. He was also a lovely macho cyclist who felt that people who couldn't bike at 20+mph shouldn't ride bikes

He also failed to realize that by intentionally making biking suck for everyone except recreational cyclists he would also make it suck and be immensely dangerous for recreational cyclists, which is why now even most recreational cyclists realize that he Forester sucked.

mystes has issued a correction as of 04:18 on May 14, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

one four cylinder Honda sport bike one twin cylinder cruiser one 1x gravel bike one road bike one hard tail 29er

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

He was absolutely not right at the time and he prevented bike infrastructure from being built when it might have still been possible with his misinformation and fake engineering book. He was also a lovely macho cyclist who felt that people who couldn't bike at 20+mph shouldn't ride bikes.

California wasn't trying to build bike-infrastructure though. That was the problem. They were trying to make laws that limited where bikes could go, not build dedicated infrastructure for bikes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

He really was full of poo poo regardless of what year it was.

I hate to be a "here - watch this three hour youtube video" guy, but since Not Just Bikes was already mentioned, here's an episode of donoteat's podcast where he breaks down exactly how wrong he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm29fd-s7tQ

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's like the liberal equivalent of mandating that abortion clinics needed 96" doorways for "safety" and if you can't have 96" doorways then obviously we need to ban you from performing abortions. For California, they were trying to relegate bikes only to dedicated bike lanes or sidewalks, and if there weren't dedicated bikelanes or sidewalks, then obviously you can't ride a bike on that road. And wouldn't you know it? Most non-neighborhood roads have no sidewalks or dedicated bikelanes, so there is no choice but to ban you from biking on them.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Weembles posted:

He really was full of poo poo regardless of what year it was.

I hate to be a "here - watch this three hour youtube video" guy, but since Not Just Bikes was already mentioned, here's an episode of donoteat's podcast where he breaks down exactly how wrong he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm29fd-s7tQ

I'm not against being proved wrong, but surely there is a relevant timestamp in that 2hour and 41minutes rambling podcast that maybe mentions john forester that you could link me to?

Apr 7, 2003

I'm ready to order DoorDash

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'm not against being proved wrong, but surely there is a relevant timestamp in that 2hour and 41minutes rambling podcast that maybe mentions john forester that you could link me to?

If I could do that, it probably wouldn't be a three hour long podcast.

But, the gist of it is that Forrester could imagine things like separated bike lanes - but he was actively opposed to them and worked very hard to get them removed. He believed that riding in traffic with cars was the safest way to cycle and that anyone who can't ride at the speed of traffic among the cars should not be allowed to ride a bike.

He wrote a very poorly researched and reasoned (but very popular) book supporting his ideas which was pretty much directly responsible for why the US has no good cycling infrastructure.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Weembles posted:

But, the gist of it is that Forrester could imagine things like separated bike lanes - but he was actively opposed to them and worked very hard to get them removed. He believed that riding in traffic with cars was the safest way to cycle and that anyone who can't ride at the speed of traffic among the cars should not be allowed to ride a bike.

He wrote a very poorly researched and reasoned (but very popular) book supporting his ideas which was pretty much directly responsible for why the US has no good cycling infrastructure.

you saved them from listening to that slog of a pod

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

you saved them from listening to that slog of a pod

Every podcast is a slog to someone.

mystes
May 31, 2006

California wasn't trying to build bike-infrastructure though. That was the problem. They were trying to make laws that limited where bikes could go, not build dedicated infrastructure for bikes.
Well then laws requiring cyclists to use bike paths when available wouldn't have done very much

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

Well then laws requiring cyclists to use bike paths when available wouldn't have done very much

I suspect in the 70's the "when available" part was probably not in the law, and of course the police who would be enforcing that law wouldn't really be too interested in that caveat. Much like the 96" door ways for abortion clinics didn't have the "when available" caveat on it.

Weembles posted:

Oh yea that aspect of Forrester's "bike philosophy" was absolutely poo poo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

quote:

Then Palo Alto, to make cycling safe, prohibited cyclists from riding on Middlefield Road — they required you to ride on the sidewalk instead. If there’s any doubt, I will show you one of the signs that they posted. Because I stole some of them. Well, I didn’t really steal them — Palo Alto took them down but didn’t seem to know where they’d put them all up. So one night me and a friend went out with a car and a step ladder and took down the remaining signs. I thought I’d make tea trays out of them, but I never did.

PF: So they actually posted signage and created their own municipal code saying that cyclists were no longer allowed to ride this road?

JF: That’s correct. On several roads. And I thought, oh hell. In 1937, British cyclists had faced the same thing and fought it down. We’ll do the same in California.

So I continued to ride as I always did, on Middlefield Road, and finally a cop comes up alongside me and says, “You’re not supposed to be doing that.” I kept on riding until he pulled me over.

And so I said, “How come?” And he said something about the Palo Alto local ordinance, a municipal ordinance. So I got him to cite me; I had a citation to look up and work it over. Afterwards, when I looked it up, it actually said that on a road with a bike lane, you had to ride entirely within the bike lane, including making a left turn from the curb lane.

Being against those kinds of laws seems extremely reasonable to me.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Xaris posted:

Replacing the durable parts on your cheap hybrid is the worst option. Either fixing them or getting a new bike are both better. Since you don't have the mechanical skills to do a simple tune up, you're gonna wind up spending a bunch of money to get someone else to install the parts, or end up with a perpetually broken project bike. None of that is worth doing for a low end hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I suspect in the 70's the "when available" part was probably not in the law, and of course the police who would be enforcing that law wouldn't really be too interested in that caveat. Much like the 96" door ways for abortion clinics didn't have the "when available" caveat on it.
Literally he explains the exact type of law he is opposed to in Effective Cycling:

quote:

wherever a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a roadway, bicycle riders shall use such path and shall not use the roadway.

Now, I don't think those laws are good, but it's important in terms of the context of what he was trying to do that he was opposed to laws that would make cyclists use bike paths when available, because the reason he wrote Effective Cycling was because some places in california were actually installing bike paths in the 1970s and a couple of those were trying to pass this kind of law (if they didn't have bike paths these laws would have been pointless).

The way John Forester fought the laws was to go convince municipalities in california that were actually installing bike paths that they would be liable for any injuries that occurred in them so they needed to stop making bike paths ASAP, so he was not just defending cyclists rights, he was actually sabotaging attempts to build bike infrastructure.

mystes has issued a correction as of 05:43 on May 14, 2022