Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

sigher posted:

At 720p is AA even noticeable?

Yeah, it looks pretty bad without, but I opted for the cheap AA type and it's more than good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Audax posted:

It's not even on and I am so excited

Is this a perspective thing or are your hands as big as frying pans

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah, it looks pretty bad without, but I opted for the cheap AA type and it's more than good enough.

Does it hit a stable 60? I’m kinda waiting for the refresh patch and just run everything at 40.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MarcusSA posted:

Does it hit a stable 60? I’m kinda waiting for the refresh patch and just run everything at 40.

No idea, I'll turn on the counter next time I try it. It definitely ran smooth the whole time I was messing around with it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

sigher posted:

At 720p is AA even noticeable?

Lower resolutions make aliasing more noticeable, though the smaller screen helps with that some. Run a game at 720p on your main screen without AA and tell me how that looks.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Nice self report, baby hands.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

hello mr. president

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I started up Bioshock on my Deck yesterday and noticed something weird...the saves which are supposed to be cloud saves are being saved directly to my PC in the Documents folder.

I...maybe I was the cloud this whole time?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno about the Deck, but Steam game saves on your PC are saved to your PC and then backed up to "The Cloud", I have saves for all my games that I've played since I got this computer in My Documents.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

I started up Bioshock on my Deck yesterday and noticed something weird...the saves which are supposed to be cloud saves are being saved directly to my PC in the Documents folder.

I...maybe I was the cloud this whole time?

They save locally to wherever the game itself usually saves games, but any game that uses steam cloud’s save api reports that location to steam and syncs the files up and down on quit and launch.*

*this is likely a bit of a simplified explanation, but is more or less how it works as I understand it.

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
Yo the 2011 fps Hard Reset Redux plays like a freaking dream on this thing. The touch sensitive joystick to activate gyro is such a smart idea I’m really impressed

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

Not even close, from what I've heard? Lot of day 1 Q3s in the more popular queues.

I got my 512 a week or two ago, and my brother, who ordered the same thing but about 3 hours later is in Q3, for reference.

That dude's got some slightly chubby hands (no offense,) but that's still roughly what it looks like in my (normal, adult male) hands. There definitely is a perspective thing going on there however, because the Deck is way wider in person than it looks in that photo.

Other than that, honestly I don't think the Deck is as huge as people are making it out to be. I mean maybe it's because I had a Game Gear as a kid, and I have a Razer Edge which is obviously bigger, or because I use the Switch with a grip to make it larger and easier to hold, but the Deck is just kinda wide. The height is reasonably proportional and the thickness is less than I was imagining, and it's definitely lighter than it looks. It's basically a handheld built for adult hands whereas the Switch is built for kid hands. The Deck is barely half the size of that original Xbox controller, for cryin' out loud!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Stupid Boxes posted:

The touch sensitive joystick

What’s this mean?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

What’s this mean?

The top of the thumbsticks have a touch sensitive capacitive surface so they know when you have your thumbs on them.
It's mostly used for turning gyro controls on and off, so they're off when you're not touching the right stick, but you can probably assign other functions to it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

PowerBeard posted:

Nice self report, baby hands.

lol

My hands are shamefully skinny and will never be photographed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Atomizer posted:

I got my 512 a week or two ago, and my brother, who ordered the same thing but about 3 hours later is in Q3, for reference.

That dude's got some slightly chubby hands (no offense,) but that's still roughly what it looks like in my (normal, adult male) hands. There definitely is a perspective thing going on there however, because the Deck is way wider in person than it looks in that photo.

Other than that, honestly I don't think the Deck is as huge as people are making it out to be. I mean maybe it's because I had a Game Gear as a kid, and I have a Razer Edge which is obviously bigger, or because I use the Switch with a grip to make it larger and easier to hold, but the Deck is just kinda wide. The height is reasonably proportional and the thickness is less than I was imagining, and it's definitely lighter than it looks. It's basically a handheld built for adult hands whereas the Switch is built for kid hands. The Deck is barely half the size of that original Xbox controller, for cryin' out loud!

Seems like when I look at photos of people playing it, it looks comically huge but really it's just slightly bigger than the switch except they opted for a full sized controls instead of low profile.

They pretty much look the same with the switch split pro controller

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 14, 2022

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Got mine yesterday. I was very surprised by how light it feels. Currently addicted to Vampire Survivors and it's a perfectly comfy game for handheld play. Tested out Sekiro and it performed pretty well.

My only complaint so far is that the L1/R1 buttons don't feel super comfortable to use. I wish they were a little raised or something. I'll get used to it, but it definitely feels awkward right now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

Seems like when I look at photos of people playing it, it looks comically huge but really it's just slightly bigger than the switch except they opted for a full sized controls instead of low profile.

They pretty much look the same with the switch split pro controller

For some bizarre-rear end reason that picture looks like someone photoshopped the bezels off the switch

This is an OG switch minus joyconns with a deck, lining up (ish) "where the image actually starts" and with a bunch of crap under the switch to get the screens about the same vertical distance

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 14, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

The Postman posted:

Got mine yesterday. I was very surprised by how light it feels. Currently addicted to Vampire Survivors and it's a perfectly comfy game for handheld play. Tested out Sekiro and it performed pretty well.

My only complaint so far is that the L1/R1 buttons don't feel super comfortable to use. I wish they were a little raised or something. I'll get used to it, but it definitely feels awkward right now.

Haha yeah same, I really expected it to be heavier. And yeah, L1/R1 and the paddle buttons are the only ergonomics I don't find as satisfying as possible.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

For some bizarre-rear end reason that picture looks like someone photoshopped the bezels off the switch
It's just what the OLED Switch looks like, the bezels are smaller

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Llamadeus posted:

It's just what the OLED Switch looks like, the bezels are smaller

ahh, right, the fact that there was a switch not-pro completely slipped my mind

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Wish the Deck had OLED screen, however the sound on it is unbelievably good for something that should sound like a tin can.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Can I report problems for verified games somewhere? Hitman crashes the OS for me.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

Wish the Deck had OLED screen, however the sound on it is unbelievably good for something that should sound like a tin can.

I really wish it didn't. The Deck's screen is fantastic as is. Every OLED device I've ever had ended up getting burn-in and I actively avoid buying them now.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dramicus posted:

I really wish it didn't. The Deck's screen is fantastic as is. Every OLED device I've ever had ended up getting burn-in and I actively avoid buying them now.

I was afraid of that when I got my iPhone XS Max, but it's going on 4 years now with no burn-in.

But I fix phones, and I do see a lot of Samsungs with bad burn-in. Mostly phones prior to the S10 though, so maybe either the tech improved or the software does something to help prevent it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

v1ld posted:

It moved by 40secs according to this tracker: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/uo4y4r/order_email_megathread_may_12_2022/i8c42fu/

Which shows 16-Jul-2021 17:23:21 as current for US 512s. I'm at 17:29 and change. So it's going to be quite a few weeks if it's moving 1.5 - 2 mins / week.

Meanwhile the Steam Deck Calculator thinks I should have gotten an email last Monday. :shrug:

E: Deckbot is more of a realist than the calculator:
DeckBot

Howdy! It looks like you have a US 512GB reservation. You reserved your deck 29 minutes, 47 seconds after pre-orders opened. There are 6 minutes, 29 seconds worth of pre-orders before yours remaining. You're 78.23% of the way there.

quote:

Hi! It looks like you have a US 512GB reservation. You reserved your deck 10 hours, 46 minutes, 3 seconds after pre-orders opened. There are 10 hours, 22 minutes, 19 seconds worth of pre-orders before yours remaining. You're 3.67% of the way there.

:smith:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

I was afraid of that when I got my iPhone XS Max, but it's going on 4 years now with no burn-in.

But I fix phones, and I do see a lot of Samsungs with bad burn-in. Mostly phones prior to the S10 though, so maybe either the tech improved or the software does something to help prevent it.

Hmm, all my OLED devices were Samsungs. Maybe there's to that.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Atomizer posted:

Hey gently caress you

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Welp, things were too good to be true, already experiencing crashes in a few games and they are actually verified ones. This is bad, because of this happens too much ot ruins the viability of the deck for consumers.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Welp, things were too good to be true, already experiencing crashes in a few games and they are actually verified ones. This is bad, because of this happens too much ot ruins the viability of the deck for consumers.

Which games? Can't say I've had any crashes of verified titles, yet. Not "playable" or "IDK, try it" ones, either.

Did you report any issues to Valve? SteamOS frequently asks you about the state of verified titles on each game's page, and there's also this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/0/3186865924592128220/

Insanite fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 14, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

This might actually be a faulty hardware problem. I was one of the first people to get a deck and I've been gaming on it exclusively since it arrived and haven't had a single game crash yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah as was said this isn't an 'all' Deck problem and a 'your' Deck problem. Mine has been rock solid.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I haven’t had a single crash everything has been really amazing so far.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Insanite posted:

Which games? Can't say I've had any crashes of verified titles, yet. Not "playable" or "IDK, try it" ones, either.

Did you report any issues to Valve? SteamOS frequently asks you about the state of verified titles on each game's page, and there's also this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/0/3186865924592128220/

Arkham Knight threw a Windows Error message and Hitman (1) keeps crashing the OS.
Only 'not normal' thing I can think of is that they are installed to SD.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Arkham Knight threw a Windows Error message and Hitman (1) keeps crashing the OS.
Only 'not normal' thing I can think of is that they are installed to SD.

Maybe it’s the SD card crapping out?

I’d try and install it to the main storage

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Lower resolutions make aliasing more noticeable, though the smaller screen helps with that some. Run a game at 720p on your main screen without AA and tell me how that looks.

The variable half-shading makes many 3D games look like 480p PS2 games and it kinda rules, even though it’s dumb as hell (there’s no real reason to have this on)

It’s because it’s applied dumbly to the entire image rather than actually scanning the game. so it just pixelizes everything lol

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe it’s the SD card crapping out?

I’d try and install it to the main storage

Yeah I guess I'll try and verify that, however if this is something users can experience when using the sd slot, my worries remain the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah I guess I'll try and verify that, however if this is something users can experience when using the sd slot, my worries remain the same.

Yeah that’s kinda the unfortunate nature of SD cards.

The SD market can be kinda a mess especially from Amazon.

Maybe they could have a more thorough SD card checker in the system utilities though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SD cards are a clusterfuck, I've gotten fakes from retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Dramicus posted:

Hmm, all my OLED devices were Samsungs. Maybe there's to that.

my LG tv has no burn in either since 3 years now. I wouldn't worry about that anymore, there are enough cleaning options available. Not that it can't happen, but it's easy avoidable