Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Framboise posted:

I always hated that comic. Emrakul has flying, damnit!

Squirrels live in trees so they have reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You can't see it because of the detail level of the last panel, but the person with the squirrels has clearly activated their Alchemist's Refuge to flash in Underworld Breach using and, using Brain Freeze to fuel their graveyard along with a Lion's Eye Diamond for mana, cast Windsail eight times in response to Emrakul's Annihilator trigger to give their sixteen squirrels flying, and then used the rest of the LED mana to have Staff of Domination to activate and untap Ersatz Gnomes fifteen times to make the squirrels into non-colored creatures because they misread "Protection from Colored Spells" to mean "Protection from Colored Cards"

You might hate it, but this is what high level, pro tier Magic plays look like

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Its basically skull eater from ffv

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfVBp85v3Fs

I love 8th Place Dave

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've been playing a Kros, Defence Contractor deck. I think I've underestimated the power of forcing your enemies to kill each other. Evoking a meadowboon when my opponent had eighteen 2/2 zombies on the board was absurd. Using the llanowar reborn and the together forever from the precon was fresh jank that let me get the meadowboon back into my hand.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think it's good to learn that your enemy's resources are also your own in a multiplayer format, as long as you're not the target of their wrath. That's why I like effects like goad but even moreso punishment effects like Comeuppance. After a while they learn that even if you appear to be open that attacking into you can be more costly than directing their forces at someone else.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh hey, a bundle of the Collectors version of the 40k decks are up on Amazon, for $500.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
why the gently caress are anyone preordering poo poo a month before the preorder date?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Spanish Manlove posted:

why the gently caress are anyone preordering poo poo a month before the preorder date?

It doesn't matter. The mere fact that you can means someone will.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Alright, I've pieced together this Kros deck over the past 2 weeks using cards I own.

In the Considering list is the cards I own that aren't in the deck but that could have some use there.
In the Sideboard is cards I don't own that I'm thinking about for the deck.

I was wondering if anyone wants to have a look and suggest any switches or relatively inexpensive cards to include. I'm particularly interested in 1 drop cards that could be of use.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/SLtd9jX970qqPVoqRnWs_Q

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
WotC selling a 100% blinged out Commander deck for an ultra premium like that might actually be a breakpoint for me, but I’ll have to sleep on it before I can articulate why.

But I hate this

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Finally, an easy way to bling out the shittiest mana base imaginable. Here's to hoping it has premium foil alternate frame etched showcase versions of Temple of the False God and Reliquary Tower!!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

Finally, an easy way to bling out the shittiest mana base imaginable. Here's to hoping it has premium foil alternate frame etched showcase versions of Temple of the False God and Reliquary Tower!!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps they could maybe send out my only half foil secret lair commander deck that I ordered all the way back in November before releasing a whole product line with a similar concept?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Excited for my $500 premium foiled deck of fully Pringled too-dark-to-read etched foils

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
At the very least, etched foils haven't had the Pringle problem as far as I've seen?

Some of them just look lovely! Baby steps.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I don't want to downplay how much I think these are dumb, but etched foils haven't been curling as far as I know. The few I have are still doing good even if all the other foils are unplayable.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It starts with cosmetics, but before long it'll be paying more for a version of the deck with pain lands instead of the stock tapped lands.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Aranan posted:

I don't want to downplay how much I think these are dumb, but etched foils haven't been curling as far as I know. The few I have are still doing good even if all the other foils are unplayable.

Yeah but have you seen the SNC EF? They are almost illegibly dark, Prof opened up like 10 boxes on camera and they all looked like muddy poo poo. Cards you can’t play with vs cards you can’t read

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I haven't, actually.

My decision to go for non foils only is continuing to pay off!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Thoughts on Choke in a cEDH Selvala deck? Too slow and too narrow?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

You can't see it because of the detail level of the last panel, but the person with the squirrels has clearly activated their Alchemist's Refuge to flash in Underworld Breach using and, using Brain Freeze to fuel their graveyard along with a Lion's Eye Diamond for mana, cast Windsail eight times in response to Emrakul's Annihilator trigger to give their sixteen squirrels flying, and then used the rest of the LED mana to have Staff of Domination to activate and untap Ersatz Gnomes fifteen times to make the squirrels into non-colored creatures because they misread "Protection from Colored Spells" to mean "Protection from Colored Cards"

You might hate it, but this is what high level, pro tier Magic plays look like

Much easier to have 15 squirrel tokens and a Spinneret Sliver, then just Shields of Velis Vel to turn all your creatures into changelings with +0/+1 so now they're all sliver squirrels with reach.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

th3t00t posted:

Thoughts on Choke in a cEDH Selvala deck? Too slow and too narrow?

It’s a meta call. If you have a really deep blue meta, jam it!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s a meta call. If you have a really deep blue meta, jam it!

Pffft. Blue? Who even plays that color?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/rose0fthorns/status/1525702479442513920?s=21&t=1P4HzENBzFr0CDRmumhN7A

You could pour salt into my open eyes and it would hurt less than reading this

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/rose0fthorns/status/1525702479442513920?s=21&t=1P4HzENBzFr0CDRmumhN7A

You could pour salt into my open eyes and it would hurt less than reading this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Definitely not my cup of tea, but at least they're openly advertising it instead of giving you stink eye and passive aggressive comments during a game.

It does read like a list of cards that someone has lost to, though. Also funny to want to know if Kozilek I'd banned, so you have to look under E for "Emrakul / Eldrazi Titans".

Also lol at the carefully alphabetized huge list with Oko and Stasis tacked on at end.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m just struggling to think of a way to make the store more actively hostile to new OR returning players and coming up empty

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I cannot overstate how much I hate this. I have 20+ decks built in paper, and I don't use proxies. As such, half of my decks are pretty casual. But even my jankiest deck would not be legal in this shop, beyond just removing Sol Ring.

Even worse, can you imagine being a new player walking into this poo poo? A month ago you learned the rules and you just got a precon and some boosters, maybe got 20 singles to upgrade the deck. You toddle your way in here and they tell you that five cards you added to this deck, plus the loving Sol Ring that came in it, are illegal for reasons you can't possibly understand. Way to foster a welcoming environment.

I would build a deck to play by these rules and still go off on turn four every game, just out of spite.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Railing Kill posted:

I would build a deck to play by these rules and still go off on turn four every game, just out of spite.

I would argue that this is the inevitable conclusion to every single modified EDH banlist, and the reason splintering the format into fairer and fairer fractions is pointless. There is no M:tG card pool that is immune to someone pushing it to its mechanical limits, you’re just putting a different value next to how many steps it should take.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m just struggling to think of a way to make the store more actively hostile to new OR returning players and coming up empty

This is correct. Seeing something like this makes me 180 and Hit Da Brix. No conversation. No purchases. Things like this existing are harmful to the format and the players beyond this one store and deserve every ounce of derision and scorn.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
What I hate even more is how many people agree with those rules in the comments.

Nothing would make me leave faster. gently caress that and gently caress hostile attitudes like that.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here's how you deal with the jerk who pushed the format to its mechanical limit:

When they win on turn four, the other three of us say "play for second place?"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Here's how you deal with the jerk who pushed the format to its mechanical limit:

When they win on turn four, the other three of us say "play for second place?"

Don't do this.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Yeah, you can't really punish people to teach them lessons in games. The issue is that they're playing a completely different game. They don't care who wins. So winning first as a way to "show them" doesn't do anything.

It's best to just take it as a very blatant pregame conversation that says decks that want to win aren't welcome.

It's 100% a place I would never sit down to play at, but there are clearly a lot of people who feel otherwise.

This format is so dumb.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I play casually with three friends usually. The only rule we have is no infinite combos unless they're interesting or funny. So putting down two cards and saying "I win" is just boring. Even then sometimes it's fine anyway because it's just a game.

Imagine banning that many cards above the already known banned list. It feels like they need an asthma inhaler and to settle down honestly, not to ban things they don't like.

Sol Ring is the funniest part tho.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The 'me fail english?' quality of the Grammer is the worse offenders to me.

So if two card combos are banned, are you shunned if you trigger a landfall effect?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m very finicky about my two card combos. I got really hot under the collar over a casual game, my friend had been utterly dominating the table with his Prosper list, ripping huge draws and making a million treasure and forcing us to discard our hands… finally we made a concerted effort to crush his resources and take the game back and try to stabilize… and then he just Dualcaster//Twinflamed over top of us. Afterwards we were all kind of sour, even him, and agreed that game felt kind of ruined. It had been a really awesome 90 minutes of back and forth before becoming proper arch enemy… and then two cards that just completely ignore the game and every preceding interaction come down and click into place and we lose, like the entire previous game hadn’t happened at all.

If he had won doing the thing his deck was doing, we’d all have been like “wow awesome, your deck is v strong!” but he won with an A+B combo that is comprised of two cards that have absolutely nothing to do with his deck or it’s themes, he just needed something to fill out his 99th & 100th sleeves. After our post game discussion he agreed that sucked and cut them for new treasure cards.

In dedicated “cEDH” pods IDC what happens because my expectations are set from the jump. Whipping out generic A+B combos in casual games feels like a misrepresentation of what people are expecting when you say “mid power/casual pod”

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Toshimo posted:

Don't do this.

End of the day, he got the game he wanted, and now us three get the game we want. What, does he have some God given right to enter our next game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

If a tutor needs to be both cmc 4+ and have a condition, what the gently caress does that actually leave?