Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Adding my name to the long list of people who find the current plummeting state of buttcoin and other cryptocurrency-related bullshit to be completely hilarious. I will never not laugh at seeing arrogant, condescending techbros making GBS threads their pants as they see their life savings evaporate due to their butts of choice becoming worthless overnight, and then still continuing to throw good money after bad in the hopes that their butts will somehow bounce back. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

nightwisher posted:

Luna is up 133x from it's absolute low yesterday and lmao of course now everyone is trying to dogpile into it, this never stops being funny. Plenty of people lamenting not loading up on Luna yesterday too.

What's 133 x 0

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

specifically it's 133 x 0.0000011 I believe, so it's up to a whopping hundredth of a cent?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Heath posted:

What's 133 x 0

The idea is that they could have swing traded into an easy money multiplier then bailed at the peak of this obvious pump. That's the only reason this thing is still alive, people think they can get easy money.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1525193165543809024

yeah, if only you knew that Terra-Luna was a ponzi scheme beforehand. good thing you're invested in all of those other non-ponzi "ecosystems" such as.... uh............. which ones are those, again?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

nightwisher posted:

Luna is up 133x from it's absolute low yesterday and lmao of course now everyone is trying to dogpile into it, this never stops being funny. Plenty of people lamenting not loading up on Luna yesterday too.

So that's like... a tenth of a penny or something?

Edit: Oh... too generous I see

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

specifically it's 133 x 0.0000011 I believe, so it's up to a whopping hundredth of a cent?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Never thought I'd be pleased with anything Ryanair did, but that's a zinger

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also happened

https://twitter.com/fxhedgers/status/1525305495036211203?s=21&t=4FGf_8gTnbm8lOTnUwKrpQ

Weird how that works

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

yeah, if only you knew that Terra-Luna was a ponzi scheme beforehand. good thing you're invested in all of those other non-ponzi "ecosystems" such as.... uh............. which ones are those, again?

they could invest in some ecosystem that's sort of like a group of people with a common goal who provide useful goods and services to other people

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Back in the day, 10-12 years ago, I pointed and laughed at the bitcoin antfarm and kept up with all the details. (I was there when Bruce's phone vibrated off the arm of the chair.) But I haven't followed the story for many years; I've only looked in now and then at the last page or two of this thread. So I do know how blockchains work and what NFTs are (lol) and why this entire thing is a house of cards built upon nothing, but I haven't the slightest idea who/what Terra or Luna or anything else is, or what exactly happened to cause this big crash that's somehow all over the real-world news.

So, a challenge, for anyone who cares to take it up: please summarize for me what the gently caress has happened here. Difficulty level: do it in one sentence.

Go.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
peg my coin daddy elon!!!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Back in the day, 10-12 years ago, I pointed and laughed at the bitcoin antfarm and kept up with all the details. (I was there when Bruce's phone vibrated off the arm of the chair.) But I haven't followed the story for many years; I've only looked in now and then at the last page or two of this thread. So I do know how blockchains work and what NFTs are (lol) and why this entire thing is a house of cards built upon nothing, but I haven't the slightest idea who/what Terra or Luna or anything else is, or what exactly happened to cause this big crash that's somehow all over the real-world news.

So, a challenge, for anyone who cares to take it up: please summarize for me what the gently caress has happened here. Difficulty level: do it in one sentence.

Go.

Terra claimed to be a decentralized, algorithmic stablecoin that would revolutionize the space, and turned out to be a ponzi scheme with more money going out than coming in - leading to a hilarious death spiral that was essentially mathematically guaranteed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/un9kyl/how_the_lunaterra_scheme_worked/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cryptocurrencies went boom in a way that has attracted hundreds of billions of dollars in investment, a ton of different coins sprung up out of nowhere, and now the entire market is in decline with some coins failing spectacularly because there's nothing backing them and there's no reason for them to exist

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Powered Descent posted:

Go.

:retrogames:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Read the last 10 pages, all was explained already. Go.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Money: *just gets up and leaves*

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Just did a quick google search for "btc" to see what the non-forums world is saying and the first 3 youtube results are fake as gently caress Musk streams doing Eve Online type double your isk [coin] scams. Perfect.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Booyah- posted:

yep they ran this ad during the middle of the crash

https://twitter.com/Nationals/status/1524072849337733120

can't make this stuff up

This is just so perfect.

"why yes, I do in fact have questions..."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Powered Descent posted:

Go.

Line go down.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

JohnCompany posted:

Line go down.

In fact Powered Decent accurately captures the trajectory of the line.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Found in a reddit thread asking "How could we have possibly known this would happen?"

You see, the blame lies with all of the people who warned me for not being eloquent enough to convince me, and because way too many people warned me.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Go.

Greedy people trying to sell speculative funny-money to greedier people, and both committing financial suicide together.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Go.

number go down

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Found in a reddit thread asking "How could we have possibly known this would happen?"

You see, the blame lies with all of the people who warned me for not being eloquent enough to convince me, and because way too many people warned me.

Lmao this is beautiful. Just the dumbest opinion written like it was sage wisdom

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The Something Awful Forums › Main › General Bullshit › Bitcoin: Valid criticism and warnings, backed up by facts and analysis, are a dime a dozen.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Go.

Buttcoin.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

musical chairs but with real or fake money

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 14, 2022

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lmao this is beautiful. Just the dumbest opinion written like it was sage wisdom

They're so close to figuring it out. Never has so much effort gone into remaining stupid.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Lol people have been saying crypto is a scam for over a decade and they have been proven right hundreds (thousands??) of times

It is interesting though that there doesn't seem to be ANY of the "store of value/currency of the future" fuckwits left though.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Even if Crypto experiences a total crash, it doesn't remove the delusion and despair of all the people invested in this poo poo. Where will they go? They'll latch onto the next stupid get-rich-scheme, or idk maybe there'll be a new era of communes and cults.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its possible that sending money through BTC wallets internationally is a lot cheaper than sending wires, doesnt require bank accounts, and is somewhat secure.

however its getting the money from BTC into spendable currency that really hasnt worked at all

if i have BTC accumulated in my small boi 2 GPU Nicehash account it first has go to Coinbase or another sketchy exchange and then to Paypal, and then to my Canadian bank account. a cut taken at every level and takes about a day.

if you are sending big money for legitimate reasons there is no reason not to just go through your bank and pay the $50.

if its small money a number of other services make it really easy but its sorta expensive per dollar transferred.

seems like a solution to a problem that doesnt exist?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If it does all crash how are people supposed to buy drugs online any more?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Skarsnik posted:

If it does all crash how are people supposed to buy drugs online any more?

That’s the beauty of it. The drug markets just cash out, they don’t care if a single bitcoin is worth one dollar or a million

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
this is good for bitcoin really. once wall street gets spooked and runs away we can get back to the fundamentals.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mimesweeper posted:

this is good for bitcoin really. once wall street gets spooked and runs away we can get back to the fundamentals.

Fundamentals of fraud

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Noob Saibot posted:

Fundamentals of fraud

Captains of Industry!
Always just one bull rush away from being best mates with Elon

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
r/CryptoCurrency is in an absolute frenzy right now, everyone FOMOing into Luna because it's flipping the gently caress out and everyone's getting dreams of 1000x returns, and literally right as I'm typing this it's dumping back down hard in a matter of seconds. I'm sure a bunch of cashed-up whales made an obscene profit off of a horde of the absolute dumbest people.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Powered Descent posted:

Back in the day, 10-12 years ago, I pointed and laughed at the bitcoin antfarm and kept up with all the details. (I was there when Bruce's phone vibrated off the arm of the chair)

<Galadriel Voice> I was there in the beginning when Bruce Wagner, pedophile and convicted fraudster, was shilling bitcoins…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I 'member