Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/NikkeiAsia/status/1524985304251260928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/RFERL/status/1525206049715892224

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
in “theory”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1525108550472970240

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/BeijingToBrit/status/1525055430359228416

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

indigi posted:

in “theory”

eh its how the krauts replenished their surface ships during the wars

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If the world has leverage to make China stop doing zero covid they would have said WERE MOVIN THE SUPPLY CHAIN OUT OF CHINA NAW! instead of calling on China to blad blad blad.

If Biden wants low inflation index come Nov he will just have to lower the Trump tariff himself also PRAY China has no outbreak in the next few months. China is not going to do anything for him.

The Western countries also can't force the capitalists to move supply chain because of the nature of capitalism.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/KyinzomDhongdue/status/1524551161852076032

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShubaSKrishnan/status/1524908431840522240

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation

no idea what any of this means lol

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

indigi posted:

no idea what any of this means lol

apparently less debt is more bad.

I think,

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

primo avi material

https://twitter.com/tongbingxue/status/1525001422831398912

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
donkeh…

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

primo avi material

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was thinking Eddie Murphy dragon in Mulan.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I wouldn't want to see Chinese Stonetoss either

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

@_@ Radio Free Europe

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

hosed up the hair 4/10

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the chinese alternative of just operating normally and then locking down for a few weeks twice a year or so is far less damaging to the metrics capitalist economies rely on, but that also requires centralized coordination (bad) and telling people to stop doing stuff (Venezuela communism 100 million iphone) so that is not an option. the actual logic of deciding which one works better was never in play

see, this seems to be the prevailing idea within the thread, but it's actually incorrect. it actually undercuts how successful china was against the virus, pre omicron. other than the opening months of 2020, china totally defeated the virus. life was pretty much totally normal from about march 2020 to december 2021. that's why chinas economy did well. ironically, covid 0 was much better for the economy and people's lives. omicron changed that. xian was the first locked down city since wuhan. followed shortly by shenzhen, shanghai, and now (mostly) beijing.

as some guy above me said, the people suffering most are those working hand to mouth. lots and lots of people are losing their jobs. and it's not working. you guys see that beijing has kept it down to 50 cases a day, and see that as a big success, but it isn't. before, any outbreak would be like, 2, 20, 20, 15, 12, ,7, 2, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0.... per day and the outbreak would be over. totally localized in one district, which made the measures to fight it not really onerous. all of beijing has been stay at home unless you need to go out for essentials for 2 weeks now, with no signs of ending in the foreseeable future. it's really a messed up situation.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation

Mirello posted:

as some guy above me said, the people suffering most are those working hand to mouth. lots and lots of people are losing their jobs. and it's not working. you guys see that beijing has kept it down to 50 cases a day, and see that as a big success, but it isn't. before, any outbreak would be like, 2, 20, 20, 15, 12, ,7, 2, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0.... per day and the outbreak would be over. totally localized in one district, which made the measures to fight it not really onerous. all of beijing has been stay at home unless you need to go out for essentials for 2 weeks now, with no signs of ending in the foreseeable future. it's really a messed up situation.

that doesn’t sound messed up at all, it sounds like people aren’t being sent to work and die or allowed to socialize and inadvertently kill the vulnerable needlessly. I’m sure a bunch of people are suffering economically and that stinks, I’m sure the government could be doing more to float people financially as a result of lockdowns. but that’s inarguably better than ten thousand+ people dying because people are tired of a lockdown that is keeping omicron cases in mid-low double digits

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
a lot of people do go kind of nuts when they're not allowed to interact with others

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it was pointed out ITT that chinese planners seem to figure that even if it's costing you 10% of your economy to do the shanghai-type lockdowns, you're still coming out on top compared to letting covid go endemic

how much must it own to be a chinese planner right now? just sit back and watch the west eat poo poo, knowing you can turn the growth dial all the way down to zero as long as the rest of the world is in an economic depression. heads it is the terminal crisis of capitalism, tails you open brandon and continue to develop the productive forces more effectively

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

that’s some primo assposting that echoes through the ages

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

what the gently caress are you talking about dude, "only going out for essentials." ive been taking two, three hour bike rides around town, running, going for walks because the gyms are closed. there are a ton of people out and about. less traffic, sure, but quit pretending this is a hardcore lockdown, wear a mask and go the gently caress outside same as practically everyone else in this city

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

"the lockdowns aren't working" does sound like bullshit when you consider that they are in fact working

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sorry you had to bury your 60-year-old mother and couldn't hold her hand while she died. we had to make sure some lines on a graph went up instead of down

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/business/status/1525323635111731200

Lmfao

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

holy gently caress just end the stupid war already, this is getting ridiculous

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Another major masterstroke by mudiji. Can't really whine about circumcised people when people are mad about their daily bread.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

R. Guyovich posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about dude, "only going out for essentials." ive been taking two, three hour bike rides around town, running, going for walks because the gyms are closed. there are a ton of people out and about. less traffic, sure, but quit pretending this is a hardcore lockdown, wear a mask and go the gently caress outside same as practically everyone else in this city

Yeah, I have no clue what these people are talking about. I am literally in the tube in Beijing. I'm getting lunch for takeout, which I will eat on the curb.

People are acting like any kind of government policies and restrictions are the same as tossing people in camps or some poo poo.

It does explain why almost half of foreigners will leave by the end of the year tho.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
what kind of lunch is it can you take a picture

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Is it a Sandvich?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
can you PM me a bite of your lunch

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yeah show us the lunch

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
post lunch

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mirello posted:

see, this seems to be the prevailing idea within the thread, but it's actually incorrect

nothing you said supports this in any way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Forceholy posted:

Yeah, I have no clue what these people are talking about. I am literally in the tube in Beijing. I'm getting lunch for takeout, which I will eat on the curb.

People are acting like any kind of government policies and restrictions are the same as tossing people in camps or some poo poo.

It does explain why almost half of foreigners will leave by the end of the year tho.

the thread has spoken. you must post it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post the lunch OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

watch your loving tone with me.

https://m.weibo.cn/2803301701/4768367099511836

beijing govt saying dont leave your home this weekend. restrict your movements. I've also been walking around and getting take out, but pretending that that this is normal or that this isn't a special situation is nuts. were you even around a couple days ago.? a single text rumor sparked massive panic buying at grocery stores all over beijing, with a widespread belief that a hard shanghai lockdown was imminent.

it's insane that I'm in the position of saying this. look at my post history in this thread. I've often been the number 1 defender of covid 0, and I do think that overall china has done by far the best job on covid in the entire world. on the other hand, I'm able to enjoy this time, and you too, because we are lucky enough that our jobs are still doable. there are literally millions of people for whom this is not the case, and they are massively suffering right now. I'm glad that your life hasn't been impacted much. to be honest, mine hasn't either. I love staying home and playing video games and watching movies and eating cheap take out. that doesn't mean that telling everyone to minimize movement, stay home, and cancelling jobs that require in person isn't massively disruptive to people's lives.