Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

what the gently caress is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

indigi posted:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

turns out those machines in the entryways of walmarts are much, much older than people think

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

indigi posted:

baal houn'dog

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

That's clearly a keyring, not earring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So were the Carthaginians known for their sunglasses craftsmanship or is this another edition of symbolism/ceremonial purposes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

phoenician lil homies

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah it's interesting he was definitely a Type of Guy in the ancient mediterranean

http://dlib.nyu.edu/ancientworld/books/ifa_egypt000401/6

https://egyptcentre.abasetcollections.com/Objects/Details/2414?SavedSelections=$Page-1

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oooh so they were doing the Commissioned art style where the eye is black and the pupil is white and I guess the little pearl inlays or whatever they used for the pupils are missing now?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Grevling posted:

Building itso it'd still be good to go in case it sunk and was recovered 700 years later was probably not something they would have bothered with. They had business sense even back then.

Typical capitalist short sightedness.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Weka posted:

Typical capitalist short sightedness.

If you don't plan to stay in business for over a millennia, why would you even bother.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watching a documentary about this loony genius russian scientist who argues among other things that savage native humans were too stupid to realize they were hunting the mammoths to extinction and abruptly realized that despite this being presented as a wacky moonbat theory the predominant theory for how the american megafauna died has always been because savage native humans were too stupid to realize they were hunting them to extinction

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/05/05/ancient-roman-bust-texas-goodwill-35/9664462002/

goodwill sells roman statue for 34.99

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

indigi posted:

Don't be cruel.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
cathago delenda yes baby

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

yeah it's interesting he was definitely a Type of Guy in the ancient mediterranean

It's been several days and I still can't decide between "eye paint" and "cups with holes in them that function as sunglasses"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
"evil eye" charm

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Some Guy TT posted:

watching a documentary about this loony genius russian scientist who argues among other things that savage native humans were too stupid to realize they were hunting the mammoths to extinction and abruptly realized that despite this being presented as a wacky moonbat theory the predominant theory for how the american megafauna died has always been because savage native humans were too stupid to realize they were hunting them to extinction

yeah the pleistoscene overkill hypothesis is a pretty controversial idea but it's also still pretty popular. On the one side is the idea that humans hunted the mammoth to extinction, the other side says that the actual important factor was climate change that impacted the habitats of mammoth (and other animals), with human hunting being a secondary pressure.

Honestly I do think it's possible that humans hunted american megafauna to death. People love to hunt species to death. We do it a lot, all the time.

There's a decent amount of discussion of this in the book 1491

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 20:52 on May 7, 2022

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

I mean we are currently hunting the biosphere in general to extinction so

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah but we realize it, unlike those savage caveppl

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/tongbingxue/status/1525001422831398912

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

D...donkeh??

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

now available in avatar form

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i remember reading about the dutch making weird looking ships to avoid paying the sound toll to denmark, but i can't find anything about it. long story short, passing thru the sound you payed based on the width of the ship, measured at the middle, so the dutch made an hour-glass shaped boat. am i misremembering this?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nosfereefer posted:

i remember reading about the dutch making weird looking ships to avoid paying the sound toll to denmark, but i can't find anything about it. long story short, passing thru the sound you payed based on the width of the ship, measured at the middle, so the dutch made an hour-glass shaped boat. am i misremembering this?

Wikipedia says pear-shaped Dutch "Fluyt" ships could carry more cargo because they weren't designed to be converted to warships, and the tax evasion bit is a myth, but Wikipedia says a lot of things

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Barely related to that but apparently one way the Danes prevented traders trying to cheat their way out of paying toll was if they suspected a ship was holding more cargo than it claimed, they reserved the right to buy the whole cargo. Presumably paying just for what the ship claimed to be carrying.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a pretty fun deterrant

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

now im picturing a oceans 11 style caper where a group of scoundrels plot to sail a ship tru the sound that is apparently carrying more cargo than they claim but is actually just filled with worthless garbage

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

That has to have happened. I really hope there's records of it.

Reading into it a little smuggling was rampant, as I guess you'd expect. Officials didn't have enough manpower to stop it, they had low pay and little respect so they weren't hard to win over. You could easily have someone bring your goods overland and pick them up again once you were through the sound, have goods brought on board at night or have some local fishermen help you. Lots of ways to cheat the king of Denmark if you put your mind to it.

Grevling has issued a correction as of 11:41 on May 16, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grevling posted:

Lots of ways to cheat the king of Denmark if you put your mind to it.

thank god

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

babypolis posted:

now im picturing a oceans 11 style caper where a group of scoundrels plot to sail a ship tru the sound that is apparently carrying more cargo than they claim but is actually just filled with worthless garbage

You're stuck in the 21st century way of thinking, where you have to pay to get rid of things. The Danes would just sail to a deep area and dump the trash overboard

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Lol

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Speleothing posted:

You're stuck in the 21st century way of thinking, where you have to pay to get rid of things. The Danes would just sail to a deep area and dump the trash overboard

better yet just bribe their way out, if the port authority is threatening to buy out the entire cargo just sell the surplus cargo to the inspector instead. easy

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Speleothing posted:

what in the 16th century or so would even be disposed of like that? we're talking about an era poo poo n piss were overall pretty valuable and ruined clothes were the main source of paper, so i feel like "just take a bunch of stuff from land and dump it in a random place in the ocean" is a pretty 20th/21st century demand

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The “Oldest Gold Of Mankind” was found in the Varna Necropolis, on The Bulgarian Black Sea Coast.

The Varna Necropolis (also known as Varna Cemetery) is a large burial site in the western industrial zone of Varna. It is internationally considered to be one of the key archaeological sites in world prehistory.

It was at this site that the oldest worked gold treasure in the world was discovered, dating from 4,600 BC to 4,200 BC.

A total of 294 graves dating between 4569-4340 BC have been discovered at Varna Necropolis so far, including three thousand gold artifacts.

While there were many elite burials uncovered, there was one in particular that stood out among the rest – grave 43. Here, archaeologists uncovered the remains of a high-status male who appears to have been a ruler/leader of some kind.

More gold was found within this burial than in the entire rest of the world in that period.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1527315817586900993

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reading frantz fanon and pumping my fist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

The “Oldest Gold Of Mankind” was found in the Varna Necropolis, on The Bulgarian Black Sea Coast.

The Varna Necropolis (also known as Varna Cemetery) is a large burial site in the western industrial zone of Varna. It is internationally considered to be one of the key archaeological sites in world prehistory.

It was at this site that the oldest worked gold treasure in the world was discovered, dating from 4,600 BC to 4,200 BC.

A total of 294 graves dating between 4569-4340 BC have been discovered at Varna Necropolis so far, including three thousand gold artifacts.

While there were many elite burials uncovered, there was one in particular that stood out among the rest – grave 43. Here, archaeologists uncovered the remains of a high-status male who appears to have been a ruler/leader of some kind.

More gold was found within this burial than in the entire rest of the world in that period.
That picture misses out the best part, the golden penis sheath.