Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Anybody remember the days when you would just buy a game instead of buying into one?

yeah i totally do. you bought the game in a neat box, took it home, played it. talked about it, played it, talked about it, and so forth.
it was a simple, beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

if the ships had rainbow chemtrails i'd play the poo poo out of stare citizer :catdrugs:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Yeah...about that...

You can steal an equipped mining gadget from someone in a station lmao

Posted 6 days ago by a stealthy citizen.

https://v.redd.it/snv293ebmxx81/DASH_1080.mp4

Huh!

Not sure how I feel about that :lol:

I mean on one hand it would be cool in like a sort of fun co op game where you had to share equipment to get through obstacles and stuff.

On the other hand though it's an mmo game where anything you have could be removed from you without you knowing at any time, by any player. And it's not like they are doing a sort of Bethesda "steal stuff" where they fail, they're just using the UI on the object because it's always there for anybody to play with.

It's stuff like this that helps you know why the game has abysmal performance too. It's not only the bad graphics management, but it's also the code of the game.

I always want to just blame the 8M poly 8K PBR toothbrushes, but the core of the game is also atrocious. :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Is this the new

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

We would never hold back info, Look at all the examples of poo poo we have delayed or cancelled forever !

I bet if you really dug deep there are many many more examples of them holding back on releasing info in lieu of 'the next big sale'

I'm still astounded these people still consider themselves professionals in any way shape or form

Let's think about this another way, what if VW started posting on one of their official company accounts "HEY everyone, remember that time we lied about our vehicles emissions? YEAH we thought you had forgotten but here is a list of all the news articles, just in case you forgot. NOW GO BUY A VW"

I'm just simply lolling over this, Zyloh thinks posting about all the times they cancelled features, delayed them , or just plain made up poo poo about the road-map is GOOD news?

Depends on what you refer to as withholding info.

Like, if you mean they say one thing and never talk about it again, you can go check out all the awesome Kickstarter goals that were sold and never talked about again.

You can then move on to the 10 for the Chairman episodes where they do more of the same excite Chris lying to your face in a YouTube video.

If it's criticism, you can refer to the numerous threads that get routinely shut down on their official forums, and how they removed themselves from the normal internet to create the spectrum or whatever, to help further obfuscate people getting knowledge.

From there you can talk about how things get moved to concern as well, where they die because nobody is going to talk to them.

The only info you get is an overload of media so that you can't actually piece the reality together.

Even after 10 years, I'm not sure anybody can knowledgeably answer:

"So what can you do in star citizen?"

And nobody can even knowledgeably answer basic stuff like:

"So when I die how do I get back in the game where I was and what will happen to me?"

And heck, if you want to have some real fun:

"So what is LTI going to do for me?"

You can take these simple questions to any hardcore star citizen place full of hard core fans who know star citizen like the back of their hand and know how to avoid all the bugs and you'll still get a different answer from almost everyone who responds to you.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Yeah...about that...

You can steal an equipped mining gadget from someone in a station lmao

Posted 6 days ago by a stealthy citizen.

https://v.redd.it/snv293ebmxx81/DASH_1080.mp4

Wow, they're still having this issue? I guess they fixed the "Steal grenades and stimpacks off of people" in a case by case basis.

Edit: Whoops quoted the wrong post

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Just for comparison, here is a river from Horizon Forbidden West, a console game developed for consoles.

And here's one from Assassin's Creed: Valhalla.

Sorry, Crobbers. You got lapped a few times.

Post one from crysis.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

So I'm a weird person. When I worked at the grocery store they had this candy that came with Friendship is Magic figurines and every time I got a duplicate I gave it to a coworker, "Here, have a Rarity". Henceforth, I'm interested in weird things and from the very beginning I've just been taken back by how crazy Star Citizen is. After 10 plus years they have the ability to procedurally generate rivers, something games have been able to do for years, and they end up only creating one river. They still have ships that are in concept phase and they are working on bedsheets. And a lot of the backers don't see any of this as unusual.

For the backers, the alternative is realizing that everything we have been saying, or a lot of it, is true. The thread has a lot of people who work in software, have weighed in on insights and reality, and none of it is in alignment with how cig operates.

Even as a business their tactics defy what companies do because they ultimately aren't building products that they need to stay solvent from. They are just eternally collecting donations from people while putting in the bare minimum effort into making the product.

Bad management, poor development practices, lies, very scam-like behavior, constant bait and switch tactics, making promises they have no intention at all to uphold many more issues ... all in the name of, not making a video game, but rather ensuring that the money faucet doesn't turn off.

And probably the penultimate realization that would kill backer confidence: Chris Roberts not only doesn't play his own game, he also doesn't care about it. The only one he may kind of give a drat about is sq404. Star citizen isn't even on his give-a-gently caress radar as anything more than a dollar-sign icon blip.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I found star citizen. Here it is:

$

$

$

$
$

$

$

$

$
$

$

marumaru
May 20, 2013

which one of you envious fudsters stole CIG's revolutionary groundbreaking technology to write this article? https://www.raywenderlich.com/6817-dynamic-mesh-painting-in-unreal-engine-4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Star Citizen won't have a fishing minigame because the fishing in Star Citizen will be an AAAA game in it's self!

Honestly this is a great example of the "what is star citizen?" Question.

CIG barfs out a spline auto material to make a single river on a whole planet, technology that has literally a million YouTube tutorials on how to make any kind of this thing to your hearts content, and suddenly star citizen adopts literal years of gameplay.

Heck, if I were Chris I'd be hard pressed not to do the same thing and keep sponging people; except I have a moral compass and I'd feel bad lying to people constantly. After 10 years of it I'd probably have developed a complex of some sort. So it's really a good thing that CIGs original upper echelon is made from people who cant tell the truth no matter what.

If you need an example, go ask Sandi Gardner who's not married to Chris Roberts and is a marine biologist who got through school playing doom 24/7 while being an expert marketer.

Ask Ben how he determined that sq404 was just like wing commander when he played through the whole thing 7 years ago and the game was weeks, not months, away.

Go ask whoever put up the "answer the call" website with like a date of 2017 on it, or the countless YouTube videos where they say the game is going to be released in some year.

The backers deserve what they get these days. :shrug:

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

lol

And a modded river for Crysis from 2011

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hull stripping first look.

That's some AAAA effects!

https://v.redd.it/m1s55tz3n6z81/DASH_1080.mp4

So... this is called render targets.

Here's like a 20 minute tutorial on building it so it works in VR and you can paint with colors.

https://youtu.be/DBWzGgJEi1Y

Cig is doing this except it's layers and alpha.

This, in itself, is totally doable.

Where this becomes problematic is in an MMO game. Now suddenly you're transmitting texture maps to every player who looks at your ship.

This kind of technology isn't new, it's not amazing, but in CIGs case for what they are tying to do, I feel like it's incredibly silly to try to pull off. Ships already have enough problems. Now with player ships you also have whole textures of these damage states that need to be transmitted.

This is just another group, like the "River tech" team, doing silly tutorials to shoehorn more useless extended features into the game instead of fix any of the myriad of problems it already has, or some manager or stakeholder asking them "sure you can do this, there's a million tutorials for it; but should we do it in our game and is it going to play nicely with everything else??"

Whatever makes you happy though. I'm sure SCs net code is solid and has room to spare to send this kind of data to everyone. :sureboat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

marumaru posted:

which one of you envious fudsters stole CIG's revolutionary groundbreaking technology to write this article? https://www.raywenderlich.com/6817-dynamic-mesh-painting-in-unreal-engine-4

I always felt one of the creepiest games that I don't think ever got finished either that did this to hideous effect was Overgrowth.

https://youtu.be/1VEUKvWQ82A

They modeled the characters to bleed, and the blood would draw lines down them, and spurt, and the characters would death wiggle around until they died and the blood would stop gushing.

This game is a game of horrors that features some really unsettling visuals that just make you squeamish. It's one of those games where using non-humans was a good idea because otherwise you're doing kills like last of us 2 and that's just going a few steps too far and you want to distance from people being killed like that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Titanic posted:

I always felt one of the creepiest games that I don't think ever got finished either that did this to hideous effect was Overgrowth.

https://youtu.be/1VEUKvWQ82A

They modeled the characters to bleed, and the blood would draw lines down them, and spurt, and the characters would death wiggle around until they died and the blood would stop gushing.

This game is a game of horrors that features some really unsettling visuals that just make you squeamish. It's one of those games where using non-humans was a good idea because otherwise you're doing kills like last of us 2 and that's just going a few steps too far and you want to distance from people being killed like that.

Yeah, their bleeding stuff really should've become commonplace in games by now. It's a shame.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

marumaru posted:

Yeah, their bleeding stuff really should've become commonplace in games by now. It's a shame.

I'm kind of glad it didn't.

I feel like there is this line between shooting some dude and they fly off into a rag doll or something, even with an explosion of blood, versus shooting some dude in the neck and they clutch at it and blood shoots out of the wound and they fall over rolling around until they stop in a pool of blood and their clothes are full of blood that leaked out and they are dead.

I feel like that goes to this next level of watching something die in a fashion that I would be super uncomfortable with.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Fidelitous paramedic NPC hover around the dying man, tilting their T posing bodies and trying to stem the bleeding. But it is too late. His quanta children will grow up without a father. You sink back into the shadows, another job done, another day in the verse.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Have y'all played soldier of fortune 2?

Just tremendously violent, with really uncomfortable dismemberment mechanics.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Yeah, hitting someone in the belly with a knife was memorably gross.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/JoyfulSecretCricket-mobile.mp4

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Jobs in first person require a targeting reticle at which to aim your action. Salvage requires heat. Stop whining about 'beams' while ignoring all the other impressive details. posted:

Seriously...

I saw amazingly impressive hull deformation and stripping with heat, then after it's melted it got sucked into the ship. I come to Spectrum to discuss and it's all "beams" complaining while completely ignoring the amazing hull stripping. You guys are too much. CIG is finally giving us Salvage, a HUGE thank you for this BTW, and yet we have people trying to derail it because... it's easier to parrot a sentiment that likely isn't even their own.

Please devs, just keep it up, refine this design and yes you are on point because heating metal to melt it does indeed make sense. I cannot wait to try it. For everyone else who can't see past 'beams', melt your ship and leave salvage to the rest of us.

As for the title, even if CIG gave you a giant scissor to cut hulls with it would still require a targeting & aiming based design, so get over it.

I missed the "amazingly impressive hull deformation", maybe I need new glasses...or I haven't inhaled enough copium. :shrug:

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
I haven't looked at this thread for a couple months and then I see articles making fun of Squadron 42 for trying to implement bed sheet deformation. Pretty sure I remember reading about that in this thread a while ago, from those loving terrible squadron monthly updates. Surprised they jumped on that one, what about all the other groundbreaking, never done before stuff like bed shutter tech, cutlery tech and formal and informal rail leaning!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Nyanscam

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

L. Ron Hoover posted:

I haven't looked at this thread for a couple months and then I see articles making fun of Squadron 42 for trying to implement bed sheet deformation. Pretty sure I remember reading about that in this thread a while ago, from those loving terrible squadron monthly updates. Surprised they jumped on that one, what about all the other groundbreaking, never done before stuff like bed shutter tech, cutlery tech and formal and informal rail leaning!

My favorite thing is they make a way to procedurally make rivers, 10 years and 450 million later, and then only make one for the game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That mining rig theft video is great because it confirms that every object that you have access to is being fully rendered and physics'd in the game world and this is possibly the worst way of implementing an inventory/equip system anyone has ever tried.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
overgrowth is ok, but the last of us is some liveleak nonsense. its the video game equivalent of that kid trying to show everyone snuff videos at lunch

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Looks like Star Atlas is doing great.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sandweed posted:

Looks like Star Atlas is doing great.

Could we look at an extended time window showing precisely when Lethality started tweeting about it?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I don't want to risk sanity damage from looking at his feed.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sandweed posted:

I don't want to risk sanity damage
                             /

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Sandweed posted:

I don't want to risk sanity damage

If you're in this thread then it's already too late.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

And the damage triples every post.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Maxwell Lord posted:

That mining rig theft video is great because it confirms that every object that you have access to is being fully rendered and physics'd in the game world and this is possibly the worst way of implementing an inventory/equip system anyone has ever tried.

Citizens tell tales of them intersecting with the pilot’s seat and exploding

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Pixelate posted:

Citizens tell tales of them intersecting with the pilot’s seat and exploding

That explains it. I noticed that the regular cleaner who always swept my hallway had been missing. First I assumed that he might have gotten an undercover mercenary gig, but then it turned out he just sat down while having a broom in his inventory.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Posted in r/starcitizen. Seriously.

https://youtu.be/c6FiOL3lmps

Rive(r)ting gameplay!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Rive(r)ting gameplay!

I think what gets me about this video is that I can't seem to figure out the effect of roll on the little speeder thing. Sometimes the player takes very sharp turns at speed and there's no roll at all, sometimes they barely turn left or right and they're at like 90 degrees of roll. It almost seems like roll is a totally aesthetic addition that's separate from the control model.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
That clipping through the trees, it is something else

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Rive(r)ting gameplay!

15 secs in and a ship is bugged and jumping around.

I skimmed the rest and saw basically zero stuff happening.

Perfect video to show what SC is all about!

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

That clipping through the trees, it is something else

That's pretty normal, I made tonk music videos one year ago where the Nova Tank either got stuck on small rocks or passed through huge ones as if they didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.random
May 7, 2007

Show me a game where that sort of thing DOESN’T happen and I’ll show you a lack of ambition