Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

OG Star Trek was intentionally made to appeal to WWII navy folks in language used and structure of the bridge.

edit and explicitly in the sense of gene Roddenberry saying on film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bar Ran Dun posted:

OG Star Trek was intentionally made to appeal to WWII navy folks in language used and structure of the bridge.

the last thing i would do in the ST commie luxury gayest universe is join starfleet

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Didn’t Truman rise to prominence by cracking down on the MIC genuinely endangering the war effort in WW2? I remember he went after Curtis for the Helldiver being garbage and producing the P-40 long after it was obsolete.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Didn’t Truman rise to prominence by cracking down on the MIC genuinely endangering the war effort in WW2? I remember he went after Curtis for the Helldiver being garbage and producing the P-40 long after it was obsolete.

The Second World War was also the last time the US was genuinely under pressure and couldn’t just let the MIC do what they wanted. Also, yeah, early during the war the US military was a complete mess.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

this one rots in seawater too. you might be confusing the new independence-class, which rots, and the new freedom-class, which rots, with the new zumwalt-class

which also rots

maybe you were thinking of the new ford-class

who only has problems with its elevators, electronics, piping, and mechanical systems rotting. the hull seems to be doing ok

SHOULD'VE GONE WITH RELIABLE STEAM. WE LOVE OUR STEAM DON'T WE FOLKS? :yooge:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

is this one of those times hes right though?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i can only guess but steam probably is 100% fine but oops the f35 has terrible launches with it or something and we can't have that. railgun plane launchers at any cost please.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Steam has a better selection of games but Epic has a lot of freebies

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The magnetic catapults break a lot but also the arresting gear breaks a lot and also the elevators break and because of this the newest US carrier is currently unable to handle F35s and will only run with F/A-18s and older planes when it launches later this year.

This parade of problems probably makes it the most effective carrier, the ones with F35s are just expensive maintenance hangars.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 03:00 on May 13, 2022

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Pryor on Fire posted:

The magnetic catapults break a lot but also the arresting gear breaks a lot and also the elevators break and because of this the newest US carrier is currently unable to handle F35s and will only run with F/A-18s and older planes when it launches later this year.

This parade of problems probably makes it the most effective carrier, the ones with F35s are just expensive maintenance hangars.

Don't worry the latest Chinese carrier also has electro magnetic catapults! I'm sure theirs break just as often.

In a war situation the carriers can just park next to each other and stare angrily whole their planes fail to take off.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Don't worry the latest Chinese carrier also has electro magnetic catapults! I'm sure theirs break just as often.

In a war situation the carriers can just park next to each other and stare angrily whole their planes fail to take off.

You could probably move the fighters enough to point the weapons at the other carrier and shoot them. Basically just turn the F35 into a fixed turret on the deck.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Sure yeah I mean Constitution class ship Enterprise. But later it was more "space" themed with like Galaxy and Nebula.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Southpaugh posted:

is this one of those times hes right though?

yeah i think sometimes his brain was kinda working right but the bit that controls his speech is mush for sure

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

hmm. should our giant floating $10B anti-ship missile clay pigeon not launch planes like this or not launch planes like this

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is the broken carrier also the one with the high death count? Just a matter of time until a F-35 catches fire or a LCS is cut in half.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:46 on May 13, 2022

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

skooma512 posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43069/metallurgist-admits-to-falsifying-navy-submarine-steel-strength-test-results-for-36-years

Lol they can’t even guarantee they’re getting what they paid for even when it’s high grade steel in an environment where it absolutely has to work as advertised. The US sub force is probably the most elite in the world, and they were short changing them the whole time. No punishment and they can’t even change vendors because they’re the one of the few who make it.

Most other countries would treat this like sabotage and treason but :capitalism:

oh hey, i'm a plank owner of one the boats in the article

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Is the broken carrier also the one with the high death count? Just a matter of time until a F-35 catches fire or a LCS is cut in half.

yes it has a high body count because its in dock for repair and is in an uninhabitable/unsanitary state during repairs while sailors are still compelled to live on it

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

No the broken carrier is the newest one that is supposed to launch this year. The one in maintenance for years longer than planned is also broken, but not as much.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

No the broken carrier is the newest one that is supposed to launch this year. The one in maintenance for years longer than planned is also broken, but not as much.

Yeah, the Ford was commissioned 5 years ago, and it is suppose to be combat operational this year but I wonder if they just aren’t going to slap a “good enough” sticker on it and generally keep it out of harms away. The George Washington is where the sailors are killing themselves because of living conditions.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ardennes posted:

The George Washington is where the sailors are killing themselves because of living conditions.

:patriot:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

skooma512 posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43069/metallurgist-admits-to-falsifying-navy-submarine-steel-strength-test-results-for-36-years

Lol they can’t even guarantee they’re getting what they paid for even when it’s high grade steel in an environment where it absolutely has to work as advertised. The US sub force is probably the most elite in the world, and they were short changing them the whole time. No punishment and they can’t even change vendors because they’re the one of the few who make it.

Most other countries would treat this like sabotage and treason but :capitalism:

Do you really think that other countries MIC isn't full of grifters and weasels? Have you looked Russian performance in Ukraine?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fish of hemp posted:

Do you really think that other countries MIC isn't full of grifters and weasels? Have you looked Russian performance in Ukraine?

When a Chinese shipyard screwed up their carrier they executed the guy, so, you know

Other countries have State Arsenals which means there’s no grift by virtue of bureaucrats and civil servants running the show for Good Boy Points instead of profit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fish of hemp posted:

at least the bad russian gear was sitting around for 50 years and not brand new

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Real hurthling! posted:

at least the bad russian gear was sitting around for 50 years and not brand new

brand new t90s didn't fair any better than the old t72s against saint javelin and comrade bayraktar

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chairface posted:

saint javelin and comrade bayraktar

:jerkbag:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

skooma512 posted:

in this lady's defense, i really can't figure out a reason why the steel for a submarine needs to be tested at -100 degrees, i think you'd have bigger problems to worry about like "the entire loving planet has iced over" or "help my submarine has beached itself in antarctica".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redneck nazgul posted:

in this lady's defense, i really can't figure out a reason why the steel for a submarine needs to be tested at -100 degrees, i think you'd have bigger problems to worry about like "the entire loving planet has iced over" or "help my submarine has beached itself in antarctica".

I hope the people testing the H-bombs feel the same way. ww3 happens and all the ICBMs just crash into each other or explode on the launch pad like Don't Look Up

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 17:02 on May 14, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I hope the people testing the H-bombs feel the same way. ww3 happens and all the ICBMs just crash into each other or explode on the launch pad like Don't Look Up

tom clancy theorized that all russia's silos were underwater from disrepair, so it would be fine to nuke them without retaliation

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

redneck nazgul posted:

brittleness in cold is historically a reason for steel failure leading to cracking and catastrophic failure in vessel hulls. the term for it is ductile to brittle transition temperature

it’s that margin excessive?...probably but subs are going encounter the highest pressures and will be in some of the coldest water at depth.

they may also have increased it for cyclical temperature stresses and to account for the lifespan of the vessel.

it’s also strongly possible they didn’t account for what was actually obtainable for strengths of materials.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

chairface posted:

brand new t90s didn't fair any better than the old t72s against saint javelin and comrade bayraktar

http://www.reddit.com

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

tom clancy theorized that all russia's silos were underwater from disrepair, so it would be fine to nuke them without retaliation

Lol Russia isn't the one bumming rides to the international space station

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

When a Chinese shipyard screwed up their carrier they executed the guy, so, you know

Other countries have State Arsenals which means there’s no grift by virtue of bureaucrats and civil servants running the show for Good Boy Points instead of profit.

There's absolutely grift, but there's usually more consequences when it gets exposed.

I think the most recent scandal from the Russian side is that they overpaid for their radios? Some general is taking the fall for it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
yea while grift exists everywhere, the main difference is that in most countries grifting too much gets you punished but in the us grifting too hard means that the government will reward you with even more money to fix the problem you yourself created

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Lostconfused posted:

There's absolutely grift, but there's usually more consequences when it gets exposed.

I think the most recent scandal from the Russian side is that they overpaid for their radios? Some general is taking the fall for it.
Grift happens everywhere with everything. The difference is that our MIC is grift-first. Everything else is a rounding error in the accounting they don't do.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea while grift exists everywhere, the main difference is that in most countries grifting too much gets you punished but in the us grifting too hard means that the government will reward you with even more money to fix the problem you yourself created

How fast we have forgotten Fat Leaonard and his thai seal team.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dont subs need to go under the ice caps? probably cold there

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Real hurthling! posted:

it's water dude, it doesn't get much below 0°C/32°F

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

probably not that cold, actually. seawater reaches its maximum density at about 0°C, so in polar waters the water is actually at its coldest at the surface and the deeper you go the closer it gets to zero

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just thinking back to Cold War US sub accidents and I’m going to firmly side with “steel quality matters”. USS Scorpion might have been structural failure, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Just thinking back to Cold War US sub accidents and I’m going to firmly side with “steel quality matters”. USS Scorpion might have been structural failure, right?

it’s unknown on that one.

but yes it matters and it’s a finicky thing. as you use higher strength steels that allows you to use thinner plates, things get less tough and more brittle and cracking becomes more of a concern. so the navy’s quest to meet performance criteria can be self defeating as it bumps up against the properties of materials.

this is the root of the major issues with the littoral combat ships . but those were conceived 30 years ago even if they are newish now. so does the navy still have this conceptual flaw in what it wants... yes probably