Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zereth posted:

.... iga style is dead center on the metroidvania axis. One end of the axis is Metroid, the other is "Castlevania, Like Castlevania 1 or 3 or 4." The term was coined to refer to the first of the Iga Style ones, Symphony of the Night.
Whether "Metroid" and "Vania" are the ends of the spectrum, different axes on a graph, or two circles in a Venn diagram, saying "Iga-style Metroidvania" still communicates what type of game is being presented, because you then know it's a game like SotN, AoS, etc. This is just pedantry.

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: Granted despite playing a lot of metroidvanias and being familiar with every video game ever released, I have not even heard of any of the games in this post except for Aquaria and Deedlit:
I've heard of Timespinner, Deedlit, Environmental Station Alpha, and Momodora. I've beaten Deedlit and seen gameplay for Timespinner and Momodora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/lazerwalker/status/1332781958619942914

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the two ends of the metroidvania spectrum are metrod prime and castlevania judgement (the wii-exclusive fighting game)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

pentyne posted:

You could do a TEDtalk on No Man's Sky as one of the greatest examples of social media and overpromise/underdeliver ever and how 6 years later a lot of people still only think "well they said multiplayer at launch and they lied" while they've gone and made one of the best games in that style with free content updates at a level of 2-3 entire games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
They aren't metroidvanias anymore we call them search-action games now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no we don’t

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Aren't they just a subcategory of those rougelife I hear so much about?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Exploration platformers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

games

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Apropos of nothing, but I watched The Northman the other day and was reminded of AssCreed Valhalla's ludicrous "the vikings were just hard-working immigrants" shtick and lol.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

TeaJay posted:

In a way it reminds me of Elden Ring, where most of the encounters are immediately better with a friend. In fact it almost feels like they were balanced to be played with two people, at least some of them.

I got to the 4th area of Salt and Sacrifice and I've run up against two bosses that I'm scratching my head how you're supposed to solo. I'm going to try to finish the game but as I get farther I still think Sanctuary is a better and more cohesive game while Sacrifice they tried to experiment with too much at once and it doesn't click for me but others seem to like it (especially the co-op focus)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mordja posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I watched The Northman the other day and was reminded of AssCreed Valhalla's ludicrous "the vikings were just hard-working immigrants" shtick and lol.

The first 30 minutes of that movie, my face was basically :stare:

So good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Vikings were a multicultural team of numerous faiths and beliefs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Popular cultures hardon for the Vikings is extremely tedious and I really, really want them to get cancelled already

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

Popular cultures hardon for the Vikings is extremely tedious and I really, really want them to get cancelled already

Vikings vs Zombies

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mordja posted:

the vikings were peace-loving feminists. now lets introduce you to the raiding system

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ymgve posted:

the vikings were peace-loving feminists. now lets introduce you to the raiding system

Fact: the DKP raid loot system was invented by the vikings.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

CharlestheHammer posted:

This and the Irish

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

stromboni posted:

They aren't metroidvanias anymore we call them search-action games now

backtrack-em-ups

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

backtrack-em-ups

It's this

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

dr.acula posted:

This and the Irish

Careful now.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

The Vikings were a multicultural team of numerous faiths and beliefs

I don't totally understand this. Is it like "this setting that we're taking miles away from its context didn't upset the Asian lady in marketing so you can't be offended either"? Or is it more to do with the geographic diversity of its offices (in predominantly White Christian countries)?

dr.acula posted:

This and the Irish

Are there many games set in Ireland? All that comes to mind are grand strategy games that include Ireland but don't focus on it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

BrianRx posted:

Are there many games set in Ireland? All that comes to mind are grand strategy games that include Ireland but don't focus on it.

The only one I can think of is an old PS2 gaelic football game (I'm not going to explain that one, just google it. You may want to look up "hurling" too) which had the local teams and stadiums. It was not only very niche but also pretty bad.

Regarding fantasy stuff, it doesn't help that Irish mythology is a complete mess of oral tradition without any real go-to written source. The Lady Gregory books are probably as close as it gets I think. And then, the material needs some degree of adaptation since it's about vain people who routinely dismiss people for looking ugly, very convoluted family stories, the Ulster champion only beats the Connacht one because he's a cheat with an item hax, and one of the most well-known heroic tales is about stealing a cow.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BrianRx posted:

Clive Barker's Undying?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BrianRx posted:

I don't totally understand this.

all the Asscreeds start with it

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I always assumed it was something like "We have <insert religion> people on our team so any negative depiction of said religion is okay", or least that general idea.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BrianRx posted:

I don't totally understand this. Is it like "this setting that we're taking miles away from its context didn't upset the Asian lady in marketing so you can't be offended either"? Or is it more to do with the geographic diversity of its offices (in predominantly White Christian countries)?

The first game was set during the third crusade around Jerusalem. You can see why they might want to get ahead of that before you even start the game. I guess it’s just sort of a tradition now, a dumb tradition.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I always assumed it was something like "We have <insert religion> people on our team so any negative depiction of said religion is okay", or least that general idea.

Yeah, I imagine it started because Assassin's Creed 1 was set during the crusades, so they didn't want people thinking it was explicitly pro-christian (being a game from a French company, after all). Since then it just became a standard thing, kind of pre-empting criticism over bias of any kind, even when the game is set in like the Caribbean or Norway or whatever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
We want everyone to know, despite depicting a fist-bumping Mozart in our game, we make no claims that Mozart ever fist-bumped.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait weren’t the Euros the villians of 1?

So if people got mad at you you hosed up in a way a disclaimer ain’t gonna fix

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh, the ultimate villain was the current master of the Assassins, who takes the Apple and throws a bunch of holograms at you for a cool boss fight. It's been a while, but I think the Europeans and the Muslims were secretly working together? There were secret Templars on both sides anyway.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

There were templars on both sides

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Also the whole plot of AC1 is that all religions are fake, which would definitely offend some people

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I got another Rogue Legacy 2 question. I'm asking instead of just googling it to try and avoid any spoilers, since I have been enjoying figuring things out failing upward like a huge scrub.

I swear that sometimes my gold percentage jumps up during the course of play. Like, I'll start with some percent, and then when I'm in the second area, I'll see that I'm at some higher percent? Or at least, I think that is my experience. I don't recall there being any mechanic to change your gold bonus during the game, unless there is some relic that does it. I have experienced this multiple times, so I don't think I'm picking a relic each time and forgetting I did.

Is there some sort of method to increase gold gain automatically during play? If there are spoilers, answer this consider that I have only just beaten the second boss. (Minor spoilers of classes and traits)Both times just cheesing Hero Complex with Knight/Barbarian, no strategy whatsoever, like a pro.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BrianRx posted:

Folklore was! Also one of the Broken Sword games I think?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

kirbysuperstar posted:

Folklore was! Also one of the Broken Sword games I think?

Also Nancy Drew: The Haunting of Castle Malloy! That's the one where you get a jetpack.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Magnetic North posted:

I got another Rogue Legacy 2 question. I'm asking instead of just googling it to try and avoid any spoilers, since I have been enjoying figuring things out failing upward like a huge scrub.

I swear that sometimes my gold percentage jumps up during the course of play. Like, I'll start with some percent, and then when I'm in the second area, I'll see that I'm at some higher percent? Or at least, I think that is my experience. I don't recall there being any mechanic to change your gold bonus during the game, unless there is some relic that does it. I have experienced this multiple times, so I don't think I'm picking a relic each time and forgetting I did.

Is there some sort of method to increase gold gain automatically during play? If there are spoilers, answer this consider that I have only just beaten the second boss. (Minor spoilers of classes and traits)Both times just cheesing Hero Complex with Knight/Barbarian, no strategy whatsoever, like a pro.

I beat the game and never saw any mechanic like that.

However there are some base upgrades, runes, etc that increase gold gain. Those will increase your gold percentage displayed ingame but not the one on the choose-a-successor screen. So if you have a base upgrade for 10% more gold gain, your descendant in the character select might show as +30% but then as soon as you pick them and get in game the UI will say +40%.

So you can see the number go up instantly from picking a character to the point where you're controlling them and jumping around the home base, but from the time you enter the castle to when you die it should never change.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Magnetic North posted:

The second zone has an additive 20% gold bonus. I have absolutely no idea why it exists since it doesn't scale but the first sign after the entrance room tells you about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BrianRx posted:

Clive Barker's Undying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kagrenac posted:

The second zone has an additive 20% gold bonus. I have absolutely no idea why it exists since it doesn't scale but the first sign after the entrance room tells you about it.

Yeah it's weird. Maybe just to compensate for the fact that it's more of a platforming area laid out a little differently than the others and less dense with enemies and chests? Because every subsequent area has a "gold bonus" in the sense that enemies and chests drop a lot more poo poo but that's the only zone where your multiplier actually gets a boost.