Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

poo poo if I could be in a comfortable cube and never have to worry about impression management again, that doesn't sound so bad

gently caress yeah, gimmie that iso-cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait. I've seen this. I stand here, right here, and I'm supposed to say something. I say, "Everything that has a beginning has an end, Allison." Wait, what did I just say?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jadis is omniscient as hell and has no idea what she's doing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

When the Furious Dumbass and the All-Knowing Dumbass team up only good things can happen.

LlamaTrauma
Jan 12, 2005

Well here I am
Drunk in Heaven
Kinda seems redundant
The double-reading of "It's what I do" that confuses Allison is a fun little trick. It helps frame her _sloth_: she's not doing anything because she doesn't necessarily want to, but because she thinks she isn't _supposed to_. Trapped by circumstance, etc.

This opens up all kinds of conspiracy theories like Metatron showing her a vision of the future 10000 years ago where she's sidelined via popsicle, _so that she thinks she needs to be in the popsicle_, thus taking her off the board. I like that one; super devious and plays against her unique weakness. It also sets up Allison to show Jadis she can "break the chains of fate" "choose your own destiny" "spit in the face of the relentless, crushing wheel of time" etc by _doing something that Jadis didn't see_, since breaking the timeline is obviously something a King would do.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Omniscience in this setting seems to mean knowing truly everything, including what you will do. There would be no ambiguity about what she’s supposed to do, there is just what she does, because she already knows she does it, because she is all knowing. If that sounds absolutely soul crushing it’s probably why she doesn’t do much.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

LlamaTrauma posted:

The double-reading of "It's what I do" that confuses Allison is a fun little trick. It helps frame her _sloth_: she's not doing anything because she doesn't necessarily want to, but because she thinks she isn't _supposed to_. Trapped by circumstance, etc.

This opens up all kinds of conspiracy theories like Metatron showing her a vision of the future 10000 years ago where she's sidelined via popsicle, _so that she thinks she needs to be in the popsicle_, thus taking her off the board. I like that one; super devious and plays against her unique weakness. It also sets up Allison to show Jadis she can "break the chains of fate" "choose your own destiny" "spit in the face of the relentless, crushing wheel of time" etc by _doing something that Jadis didn't see_, since breaking the timeline is obviously something a King would do.

Allison's struggle must be a terrible fire, growing as she passes it to others. Fire melts ice.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The omniscient is nervous because she's talking to someone who, while obviously weakened, still has the power to change the universe

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
yeah the flipside of the curse of omniscience is that losing it would be akin to being cast into a pit of unknowing, losing all your 5 of your senses while still needing to navigate the world. the fear of that could make someone suffer through all the pains of prescience in fear of losing it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm not sure Jadis has true omniscience.

She saved Allison because "it's what I do". Maybe she just knows what happens, but not why it happens. She has a complete walkthrough for the timeline, but it's a very sparse 'go west, do X, go east, do Y' instead of a descriptive text.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Being immortal and knowing everything about everything, but realizing you kind of suck at some things (like social interaction) with no capacity for further growth sounds like it'd be a petty cursed existence. I still think she's overselling her knowledge to some extent and doesn't actually have perfect awareness and more.

And she doesn't know where Dave is because he punched a hole in the bottom of the multiverse and fell out. Even if she still has true omniscience it wouldn't tell her poo poo about what's happening outside of reality.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Guys I think Jadis might not actually be as omniscient as she claims

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like that Alison still has it together enough to assume that Jadis wants something from her, just like all the other kings.

EDIT: Uh, I haven't been following the thread much but...has the alt text been noticed yet?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 13, 2022

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
You can tell that Abaddon has spent a lot of time in and out of hospitals lately because Jadis really talks a lot like a doctor trying to affect a good bedside manner. “It’s got plants!”

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Maybe this was just a really elaborate excuse to not go to a party that got out of hand.

“Yeah guys I can’t make it. I, uh… I saw the true shape of the Wheel and now I’m cursed with perfect knowledge of all things OKAY BYE.”

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

nimby posted:

I'm not sure Jadis has true omniscience.

She saved Allison because "it's what I do". Maybe she just knows what happens, but not why it happens. She has a complete walkthrough for the timeline, but it's a very sparse 'go west, do X, go east, do Y' instead of a descriptive text.

I think she might be able to "see" everything that happens but not, you know, hear/know what's being said or thought every step of the way

A complete picture but very limited context

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Thundarr posted:

Being immortal and knowing everything about everything, but realizing you kind of suck at some things (like social interaction) with no capacity for further growth sounds like it'd be a petty cursed existence. I still think she's overselling her knowledge to some extent and doesn't actually have perfect awareness and more.

And she doesn't know where Dave is because he punched a hole in the bottom of the multiverse and fell out. Even if she still has true omniscience it wouldn't tell her poo poo about what's happening outside of reality.

Yeah it kinda feels more like "she read the script" than "she knows all things at all times"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sloth as choice paralysis and omniscience as the ability to see all of Koss's resets but the inability to process the information is a pretty good take TBH.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if she is truly all-knowing, then the form in front of allison is nothing but a poorly-crafted raiment. it appears unsure and confused because this is how its wearer knows mortals to be

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A big flaming stink posted:

if she is truly all-knowing, then the form in front of allison is nothing but a poorly-crafted raiment. it appears unsure and confused because this is how its wearer knows mortals to be

"Do I look empathetic right now? Yes, which I already knew.

Nailing it"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
bit like tralfamadorians, just because you know everything that is going to happen doesn't mean you have to be rude about it. you know, there's good stuff coming too, trees, ice cream, things of that nature. you don't have to focus on the negatives all the time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

Sloth as choice paralysis and omniscience as the ability to see all of Koss's resets but the inability to process the information is a pretty good take TBH.

or some say, kossm

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think its Discworld that has an omniscient character where she has to ask questions she already knows the answer to because she saw herself asking them and "i get a terrible headache if you dont tell me"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

Angua woke up. It was almost noon, she was in her own bed at Mrs Cake's, and someone was knocking at the door.

'Mmm?' she said.

'Oi don't know. Shall I ask him to go away?' said a voice from around keyhole level.

Angua thought quickly. The other residents had warned her about this. She waited for her cue.

'Oh, thanks, love. Oi was forgetting,' said the voice.

You had to pick your time, with Mrs Cake. It was difficult, living in a house run by someone whose mind was only nominally attached to the present. Mrs Cake was a psychic.

'You've got your precognition switched on again, Mrs Cake,' said Angua, swinging her legs out of bed and rummaging quickly through the pile of clothes on the chair.

'Where'd we got to?' said Mrs Cake, still on the other side of the door.

'You just said, “I don't know, shall I ask him to go away?” Mrs Cake,' said Angua. Clothes! That was always the trouble! At least a male werewolf only had to worry about a pair of shorts and pretend he'd been on a brisk run.

'Right.' Mrs Cake coughed. ' “There's a young man downstairs asking for you”,' she said.

' “Who is it?”,' said Angua.

There was a moment's silence.

'Yes, oi think that's all sorted out,' said Mrs Cake. 'Sorry, dear. Oi get terrible headaches if'n people don't fill in the right bits.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

paranoid randroid posted:

i think its Discworld that has an omniscient character where she has to ask questions she already knows the answer to because she saw herself asking them and "i get a terrible headache if you dont tell me"

Yeah Mrs Cake! Though she sometimes is able to turn off her precognition if she wants to.

I think perhaps Jadis might work on Dune prescience levels though. The more it's used the more you lock in an outcome that you've seen, nothing you can do prevents it because everything you do to avoid it becomes a step in the chain that causes it. The only way to be sure your future isn't predetermined is to not look at it... and also to not have someone else look at it. Or at one point, have a lot of people kind of look at it at once.
Dune kind of stops being interested in this eventually but it does put forward the argument that trying to change the future eventually either messes with your resolve or you become an absolute tyrant.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Jadis actually has excellent social skills, but she saw herself making awkward faces and hemming and hawing through this whole conversation, so that's just how it is.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Jadis actually has excellent social skills, but she saw herself making awkward faces and hemming and hawing through this whole conversation, so that's just how it is.

jadis is making these faces cause she can't stand to see herself on panel

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shoehead posted:

Yeah Mrs Cake! Though she sometimes is able to turn off her precognition if she wants to.

It's not that it's on constantly, more that she'll turn it on to see the future for some reason or other and then just absent-mindedly forget to turn it off after. And now she's three steps ahead of the next conversation she has with someone.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this is apropos of nothing but i was rereading the last couple chapters and realized the first thing White Chain does upon manifesting a mortal body is take a deep breath because its the first breath shes taken ever, in millennia

angels aint got lungs, theyre made of controlled nuclear explosions

theres no real point to this, i just think its loving cool

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

paranoid randroid posted:

this is apropos of nothing but i was rereading the last couple chapters and realized the first thing White Chain does upon manifesting a mortal body is take a deep breath because its the first breath shes taken ever, in millennia

angels aint got lungs, theyre made of controlled nuclear explosions

theres no real point to this, i just think its loving cool

its also because she was just doing ki rata kind of which is martial arts breathing bullshit right, so she had to sort of kind of maybe. or it parallels dave or whatever

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

You know how your recorded voice sounds weird to you because you're not hearing it conducted through your skull? Imagine that but it's your entire existence and it never goes away and also you've stopped dying

I'd pull faces too

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Phy posted:

You know how your recorded voice sounds weird to you because you're not hearing it conducted through your skull? Imagine that but it's your entire existence and it never goes away and also you've stopped dying

I'd pull faces too

I do this already in teleconferences where I can see my face

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Phy posted:

I'd pull faces too

Welp, now I know what's waiting for me in Hell.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I'd pull faces too

Wow now I can't stop thinking of this thank u

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also the room is full of mirrors that reflect how you look in photographs, instead of how you're used to seeing yourself in them.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also you have perfect recollection of every time you did something embarrassing in public and perfect knowledge of the thoughts of everyone who witnessed them

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
jadis all like: "brb guys sealing myself in the Cringe Cube for the rest of the kalpa"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Jadis' Omniscience means she Sees all of our Hot Takes in this thread.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Jadis's arc is Jadis saying "I'm cringe" and Allison saying "You are cringe, but by accepting that, you are free."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

girl dick energy posted:

Also the room is full of mirrors that reflect how you look in photographs, instead of how you're used to seeing yourself in them.

gently caress THAT.