Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Codependent Poster posted:

Black Widow's team.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's nice she's getting her own distinctive visual identity again.

Man, I just remembered that the first thing they did when they gave her the Spider-Girl name and her own series, IIRC, was kill off her dad. If I had a nickel for every time a Spider-Girl's dad got killed off, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't much but it's weird it happened twice.

They gave her spider-powers too. Which inexplicably stuck around after Spider-Island.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Yvonmukluk posted:

I am angry. Angry about Dan Slott.

My biggest accomplishment of the week was being first comment on a Slott tweet and telling him his metaphor was tortured. He ended up deleting it

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
is silk gonna get a new costume

because she could really use a new costume, too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OnimaruXLR posted:

If Slott has control of her it will be a web bikini.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I Wonder if they are ever going to bring up the fact they fixed Spider girls life after the first one destroyed it.

That’s literally the only spider verse thing I care about

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

If Slott has control of her it will be a web bikini.

Oh, good, a return to Cindy and Peter's uncontrollable pheromones for each other.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh gently caress offffffff.

Who was asking for this?

Even if Brand Synergy demanded it, why would you give it to the guy who did it twice before and hosed it up both times?

It's going to be the loving Inheritors, again, and more loving Deep Lore, again. Plus we get a return to 'classic Spider-Man character in their outfit only read and blue with webs on' with Spider-Kraven. Wasn't that his concept for Spider-Gwen, too? Plus 'Spider-Laird seems set up for lazy jokes, some of which Slott's already made in interviews.

Also, apparently Dan's doing a story in Amazing Fantasy #1000, (which is a thing I guess) that's meant to be a look at Peter/MJ's relationship in the future? gently caress off with that poo poo, give it to Houser or Conway or DeFalco, who all actually did something interesting with it. poo poo, let Spencer write it, since that's pretty clearly what he was aiming for with his run and his Peter/MJ stuff was the strongest parts of his run. :colbert:

I am angry. Angry about Dan Slott.

Wait I hadn’t heard this Peter MJ stuff.

Now I’m mad

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, good, a return to Cindy and Peter's uncontrollable pheromones for each other.

Thankfully given he's not writing the main book anymore he'll be reigned in (hopefully).

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait I hadn’t heard this Peter MJ stuff.

Now I’m mad
Yeah, that's the story he's writing in AF#1000.

Seems kind of weird he killed off MC2 Peter in Spider-Verse (and got super defensive about it online) if he was such a huge fan of that idea. The fact he had his own 'Peter & MJ get married & have a daughter' miniseries coming down the pipe had absolutely nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Thankfully given he's not writing the main book anymore he'll be reigned in (hopefully).

Seems kind of weird he killed off MC2 Peter in Spider-Verse (and got super defensive about it online) if he was such a huge fan of that idea. The fact he had his own 'Peter & MJ get married & have a daughter' miniseries coming down the pipe had absolutely nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

Continuity cop is gonna cop

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i don't think spider-verse is something really built for an annual event like marvel seems to think it is, and i only read last year's because vulpes was writing it. let slott poo poo out whatever, as long as he doesn't do something really stupid like kill Gwen, Cindy or Annie May who cares

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

tbh i don't think spider-verse is something really built for an annual event like marvel seems to think it is, and i only read last year's because vulpes was writing it. let slott poo poo out whatever, as long as he doesn't do something really stupid like kill Gwen, Cindy or Annie May who cares

I mean, it was clearly intended to coincide with Across the Spider-verse. So probably a followup series for the following year.

Although honestly given Slott's infamous delays it'd make more sense to also delay the comic a year.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

site posted:

I'm not too worried. The last event was called loving Spidergeddon and they literally killed only two characters, UK and Noir. And Spidey Noir was brought back to life in his own universe a few months later.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Tortuga posted:

I'm not too worried. The last event was called loving Spidergeddon and they literally killed only two characters, UK and Noir. And Spidey Noir was brought back to life in his own universe a few months later.

Is UK different from Spider-Punk?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean it is called end of spider verse so they could pull an end of Ultimate universe thing and kill everything except a few pet characters that are ported to the 616.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Is UK different from Spider-Punk?

Spider UK is what if Captain Britain but also spider.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I was gonna make a joke about how he also was useless but they all kind of where until plot demanded they be effective

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

But Silk's costume is good though?

If we just start giving characters new costumes because their good ones are old you end up with Miles Morales' recent costume which ew.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Yvonmukluk posted:

On the other hand, Renew Your Vows ruled. At the very least you have to admit it was better than whatever the gently caress JJ Abrams and son did with "married Spidey with kid"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well yeah but that series immediately fridges MJ which is….not great. So it’s not hard to be better than that

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
While we're in Dan Slott chat, has anyone else seen the preview for next week's issue of FF?

Really petty-seeming Squirrel Girl slam out of nowhere in there, which is doubly weird since it's Slott.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Wanderer posted:

Dan Slott . . . Really petty

No that seems correct

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
someone having a comic book character say something is not always a personal endorsement of the writer's views

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

In comics it 100% is.

I can’t think of an example where that isn’t true

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that's Dan Slott thinking he's being clever but coming across like a brat. Like mad that someone wrote Squirrel Girl better than him.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

In comics it 100% is.

I can’t think of an example where that isn’t true

Chris Claremont didn't really think professor Xavier was a jerk, did he?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cloks posted:

Chris Claremont didn't really think professor Xavier was a jerk, did he?

Are there people that don’t think professor X is a jerk

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
okay so like that bit in gwenpool where the entire joke of the two-parter with deadpool is that gwen actually doesn't like deadpool that much means that chris hastings also dislikes deadpool because why would a comic writer ever give a character a personality trait or opinion that they do not also share

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Is your character trait being tedious.
This isn’t my personal opinion by the way

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

On the other hand, Renew Your Vows ruled. At the very least you have to admit it was better than whatever the gently caress JJ Abrams and son did with "married Spidey with kid"

I mean, I'll grant you Slott's RYV was better than the Abrams' take (and didn't pretend to be in-continuity), like most of his ideas re: Spider-Man, most of the actually good bits were done by other people (namely Conway & Houser in the ongoing).

I mean, it honestly felt like aside from the Spider-Family existing that nothing from the miniseries carried over. I mean, anyone remember the Regent in anything? He was referred to in backstory stuff as why MJ had powers, but that was it in the ongoing. You'd think 8 years of that guy running the world and imprisoning/killing all the superheroes would have been mentioned more, but it never came up!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

While we're in Dan Slott chat, has anyone else seen the preview for next week's issue of FF?

Really petty-seeming Squirrel Girl slam out of nowhere in there, which is doubly weird since it's Slott.

What the gently caress did Slott say about Squirrel Girl?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wanderer posted:

Got a link?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah that's Dan Slott thinking he's being clever but coming across like a brat. Like mad that someone wrote Squirrel Girl better than him.

Same but also for Franklin Richards

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, I'll grant you Slott's RYV was better than the Abrams' take (and didn't pretend to be in-continuity), like most of his ideas re: Spider-Man, most of the actually good bits were done by other people (namely Conway & Houser in the ongoing).

I mean, it honestly felt like aside from the Spider-Family existing that nothing from the miniseries carried over. I mean, anyone remember the Regent in anything? He was referred to in backstory stuff as why MJ had powers, but that was it in the ongoing. You'd think 8 years of that guy running the world and imprisoning/killing all the superheroes would have been mentioned more, but it never came up!

Imo, you can write off any disconnect between the two as a result of the mini being a Secret Wars tie-in and the ongoing being not that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

It probably never came up because Regent contained the one big plot hole from the comic's jump from being a Secret Wars tie-in to its own universe. In the tie-in, Regent was amassing powers in an attempt to take on Doom and become God. But in the ongoing, RYV isn't on Battleworld and Doom was never God. So not mentioning him that much is probably a workaround to keep nerds from dwelling on the contradiction too much.

e: also because Regent's supposed to have killed a lot of heroes in the process of stealing powers and Peter's identity is outed at the end of the mini and the ongoing basically revives everyone and puts Peter's secret back in a few other small sorta-retcons that Conway hopes no one notices (because for the most part they don't matter)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 14, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Got a link?

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/05/13/marvel-preview-fantastic-four-43/

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Oh that's not cool.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

idk I don't see that as a petty slam, just an unfunny joke

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

god, I know that Slott's been talking about 'the reckoning war' for like fifteen years but I really wasn't prepared to open up that preview and see Gauntlet and Southpaw and Grasshopper in a book that isn't, like, The Initiative. 'the tactigon' is a phrase my eyes have not taken in since the Bush administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah that does smack of pettiness. Actually to go a little further, anytime I see characters I associate with funny, lighthearted runs in a thoroughly mid so-serious story, particularly as victims or stooges, it instantly repels me from like, not just the comic, but *comics.*

I'm sure it happens in movies and stuff too, but I'm struggling to think of any examples right now.