Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am consistently shocked by this even though it seems to be almost as common as not.

HENRY due to lifestyle creep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

krispykremessuck posted:

even Bremerton is getting dumb to the mxpx joke song came true

my friend and his wife *purchased a new home in Bremeloville earlier in the pandemic. A $400,000 starter home.

*20% down payment courtesy of the bank of Mom and Dad

Ferdinand Bardamu has issued a correction as of 19:44 on May 14, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

HENRY due to lifestyle creep

this describes so many loving people ugh

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i say swears online posted:

there are a lot of idiots making 150k and are paycheck to paycheck

i wonder if this is a response to having once been poor and being excited to buy things vs being terrified of ever being poor again. i do the latter because holy poo poo i never want to live off food stamps again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's because $150k doesn't go as far as you'd think when you're paying rent in an area near your $150k job

they're probably spending at least a third of that on rent, probably more if it's not a barebones place in a bad area with a decent commute, which would place them into the "housing burdened" category according to the HUD

like overspending when you get that first real paying job is sure a thing, but let's not pretend that middle class is wildly rich

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 19:54 on May 14, 2022

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's because $150k doesn't go as far as you'd think when you're paying rent in an area near your $150k job

they're probably spending at least a third of that on rent, probably more if it's not a barebones place in a bad area with a decent commute, which would place them into the "housing burdened" category according to the HUD

like overspending when you get that first real paying job is sure a thing, but let's not pretend that middle class is wildly rich

yeah it is dependent on where you live, but if its not in seattle, nyc, la, or the bay area you're probably doing really well if you arent an idiot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol I live in the hottest real estate market in the country and survive on 20k/year, let's not pretend that 2.5x the median family income is financially limiting unless you really, really try

nobody making 150k is skimping on 401k contributions in order to make rent

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lol I live in the hottest real estate market in the country and survive on 20k/year, let's not pretend that 2.5x the median family income is financially limiting unless you really, really try

nobody making 150k is skimping on 401k contributions in order to make rent

There's nothing wrong with living in a tent, but that's about what you can afford in downtown seattle on 20k/year.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There are 400 people in the US who are worth more than $2.9bn. If these people make 5% of their net worth each year that would be 125 million in passive income. This means that the person making 20k is earning 0.00016x their salary and the person making 150k is making 0.0012x their salary.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm not saying every high earner is elon musk wealthy, i'm saying it's easy to avoid lifestyle creep and not doordash every meal. wsj regularly publishes "i make 500k and i barely get by" budget breakdown articles and they're essentially just trolling for engagement

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they’re not wildly rich, they’re not even regular rich. but if you’re making 150k and spending 3k a month on rent that’s a choice you’re making, and you still take home double the median pre tax salary after paying taxes and rent sooooo idgaf about their financial “struggles” which are fake and a joke

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Tossing out 3k a month as some insane luxury rent that is totally optional tells me you don't live and work in a high cost of living city. That'll get you a pretty middling to crummy 2 bed 1 bath in DC or New York. A lot of my former coworkers were commuting 45-60m to get their rents down to 2500/mo.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I make half of 150k and live in the "sketchy" part of my city, because 1) I'm not sheltered 2) it's safe just a little old and worn down 3) not racist unlike the spoiled whites that work at Mayo 4) I grew up alternately between middle class and in public housing. So, I'm used to different people and living with not much.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Salt Fish posted:

Tossing out 3k a month as some insane luxury rent that is totally optional tells me you don't live and work in a high cost of living city. That'll get you a pretty middling to crummy 2 bed 1 bath in DC or New York. A lot of my former coworkers were commuting 45-60m to get their rents down to 2500/mo.

I live in Philadelphia. first of all I never called it a luxury, i called it a choice. second it’s a single salary, why do they need 2 bedrooms? get a 1BR that isn’t so crummy. 3k can get you a decent to good 1br apartment pretty much everywhere

e: you seem really defensive so I’ll drop this with you

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I was also confused by 3000 a month being somehow unreasonable, that's a cheap 2 bedroom in LA. what if you have 2 kids?

I guess people live with SO's who also have jobs and no children. then yeah 150k is a lot of money. I bet if I was the main earner for 4 people in a major city I could spend it all no problem

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Antonymous posted:

I guess people live with SO's who also have jobs and no children. then yeah 150k is a lot of money. I bet if I was the main earner for 4 people in a major city I could spend it all no problem

for sure, but then you’re probably not determined to live in the cooler parts of your city

e: like if you have to live in Manhattan or Haight Ashbury 3k won’t get you poo poo. but you don’t have to live there

indigi has issued a correction as of 21:06 on May 14, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

indigi posted:

I live in Philadelphia. first of all I never called it a luxury, i called it a choice. second it’s a single salary, why do they need 2 bedrooms? get a 1BR that isn’t so crummy. 3k can get you a decent to good 1br apartment pretty much everywhere

Just to be clear you can't think of any reason that someone would need a 2 bedroom apartment?

Try to understand why I'm saying that these posts are more about your specific situation than a group of class traitors.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Nocturtle posted:

Thinking more about it doubt Vancouver is going to remain a destination for exported Chinese wealth, which will have big implications for the housing market. Who is going to move from mainland China to the West at this point, unless they really have to.

vancouver and its outlying areas will remain the primary destination for asian-pacific emigration and investment for the next century

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sleeping on anchorage smh

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

i rented an entire house in Baltimore for $1300 with my ex for 3 years, had no car, and it owned.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

why would you possible want or need more than one room? hell why even have more than oen door in your dwelling, if you are paying "average rent for an average place" youre a rich rear end in a top hat who should stfu!!!!

*is a single man with no kids, no pets, no hobbies, all they need is a large glowing rectangle and a mattress*

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

3k in Philly gets you something right in Center City, which means you're spending more outside of rent because you actually live near things to do.

Source: me living in Philly for the last seven years and never going above 2k for rent, and also being really boring so I don't go out and party every weekend.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

i love the large glowing rectangle

e: C-euro is lying i know for a fact that he is not boring. His hobby is running though which is relatively low cost :)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Justin Tyme posted:

why would you possible want or need more than one room? hell why even have more than oen door in your dwelling, if you are paying "average rent for an average place" youre a rich rear end in a top hat who should stfu!!!!

*is a single man with no kids, no pets, no hobbies, all they need is a large glowing rectangle and a mattress*

1br large living area or 2br can make sense if you wfh and actually need the desk space, but thats about it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anime was right posted:

1br large living area or 2br can make sense if you wfh and actually need the desk space, but thats about it

huh

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I spent 3 years living in a 12x10 apartment that had no kitchen. The building used to be a halfway house that was converted into apartments. It had bedbugs but the rent was $320/month. It wasn't physically large enough for both a bed and a couch so I went with the couch but slept on the floor because after a while my back hurt. If your apartment is larger than that you're going to be first up against the wall.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
my apartment is 2BR, but the rent is 50-100% lower than the nearby "luxury studios".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

my room until I was about ten was the second level of a closet. after that I was on a screen roomed exterior porch in Florida until I went to the academy. before I was born my parents lived in a tiny airstream uh down by the river. my dad remembers living in a farm work house in WV (think like a of mice and men type bunk house) as small child.

it’s fine to have space to live folks.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
if your place is larger than this or if you have more furniture than this, u might be a 1%er

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In may 2010 I kept track and I stole every single calorie that I ate for a month. I applied for food stamps and got denied because I earned too much at 600 dollars a month lmfao

12 years later I make HUGE money and can afford a LUXURY working kitchen in my MANSION of a 2 bedroom apartment. Sometimes I turn on all 4 burners on my stove even though I only need 2.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

in fact it should be a goddamn right to have adequate space to live

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mark immune posted:

if your place is larger than this or if you have more furniture than this, u might be a 1%er

whoa, a mattress?

what's wrong with the floor?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

mark immune posted:

if you don’t throw your night soil out the window in the wee hours you might be a 1%er

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
i have my valet throw my night soil out the window for me

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

only read the last page of this thread but it seems like theres some goons itt having a meltdown about being in the top quintile but not wanting to admit that they are bourge

jefferey probably should have deleted cspam this is embarrassing

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

is there going to be some pittsburgh-philidelphia back and forth or did i miss that? please god tell me i missed it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Springfield Fatts posted:

Ugh my wife and I are middling state employees and we've always been able to live comfortably and debt free while able to save up a 20% deposit for this house (it helps to be childless shut-ins with cheap hobbies) but gently caress me I have never felt poorer in my life than during this process. A nice reality check that we're firmly in the lower part of the middle class.

why are you saving up 20%?!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

i'm not saying every high earner is elon musk wealthy, i'm saying it's easy to avoid lifestyle creep and not doordash every meal. wsj regularly publishes "i make 500k and i barely get by" budget breakdown articles and they're essentially just trolling for engagement

it depends on if you have kids wether 150K feels like infinite money cheat or barely above minimum wage

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

War and Pieces posted:

it depends on if you have kids wether 150K feels like infinite money cheat or barely above minimum wage

that, if thats single income or dual income, student loans, and general location yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Hubbert posted:

vancouver and its outlying areas will remain the primary destination for asian-pacific emigration and investment for the next century

the wayward province of vancouver has always been a part of china