Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cartoons123 posted:

If you’re looking specifically towards animation you’re not gonna find much, this is pretty much her first main animated role.

Outside of that, she co-stars in a Hulu show with Kat Dennings that looks like it’s still going

https://youtu.be/RQqfiIwstp8

Huh, in that case she did an especially good job for her first voice acting role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It's worth pointing out that Brenda Song's husband has some very troubling associations with Donald Trump Macaulay Culkin lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nameless Pete posted:

It's worth pointing out that Brenda Song's husband has some very troubling associations with Donald Trump Macaulay Culkin lol

They should release an anniversary edition of Home Alone 2 that deepfakes adult Macaulay Culkin into the hotel lobby scene in the place of Donald Trump. It would be hilarious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject I kind of hope they bring back the Season 1 credits style for the finale (you could even use the images shown within as a little epilogue if you wanted)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://twitter.com/DisneyBeat101/status/1523807661334040577

Huh, I never would have considered the powers to be a reference to the Powerpuff Girls of all things.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh joy, Andrias is still alive (though we’ll see how things go)

Based on the final shot I hope Sasha and Marcy get to be important as well and it’s not just Anne alone who ultimately saves the day in the end (I realize Anne’s the main character but Marcy‘s spent most of the season as a meat puppet for a psychotic AI, give her at least one moment to shine damnit)

But based on another scene before it I would also accept a little Spranne against the world one more time.

Looks good overall though. I’m really going to miss this series and if they ultimately decide to continue things in some other form later on (comics, shorts, some kind of spinoff show, etc) then cool, but if not then hopefully it’ll get a good sendoff at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 10, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I didn't realize how much i'd missed hearing Marcy's Theme. :unsmith:

Nameless Pete posted:

Anne as BOTW Link was really good, but Sasha as Queen Edelgard was just perfect.

My favorite part about it is that you can read it as a deliberate reference even in-universe if you want, since the Core is drawing from Marcy's memories and we've literally seen her with a Legally Distincttm Switch.

Sidenote: I can't believe this is what it took to get me from "Sure, I guess hypothetically I'd ship it" to "Actually yeah, I think I have queer headcanons now". (Edelgard is super gay. That's it, that's the context.)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought they were trying for a Magic Knight Rayearth reference.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

I didn't realize how much i'd missed hearing Marcy's Theme. :unsmith:

My favorite part about it is that you can read it as a deliberate reference even in-universe if you want, since the Core is drawing from Marcy's memories and we've literally seen her with a Legally Distincttm Switch.

Sidenote: I can't believe this is what it took to get me from "Sure, I guess hypothetically I'd ship it" to "Actually yeah, I think I have queer headcanons now". (Edelgard is super gay. That's it, that's the context.)

I guess that’s the good thing about the show not going into the girls’ sexuality much (if at all), you’re free to pretty much believe whetever you want

On another note I forget, was it ever explained what those weird ghost creatures in the castle basement were supposed to be?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Sasha is Edelgard because she's your bossy high school BFF who discovers that she's actually really good at being a literal tyrant.

Anne is BOTW Link because she will eat anything.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Larryb posted:

On another note I forget, was it ever explained what those weird ghost creatures in the castle basement were supposed to be?

I thought that they were taken from another dimension that Amphibia invaded.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

Sasha is Edelgard because she's your bossy high school BFF who discovers that she's actually really good at being a literal tyrant.

Anne is BOTW Link because she will eat anything.

Was Marcy’s dream world design also based on someone in particular or was it just those two?

Also I forget, were Percy and Braddock part of the toad side of the resistance? If not, it might be nice if Sasha were to track them down and make up with them before she goes home

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 10, 2022

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm glad to hear there's one more episode; I thought this was it, and it was a weird Sopranos-y way to leave off.

And now I want to dub the Sopranos theme over the intro credits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Madurai posted:

I'm glad to hear there's one more episode; I thought this was it, and it was a weird Sopranos-y way to leave off.

And now I want to dub the Sopranos theme over the intro credits.

Rocks Moon falls, everyone dies

Back during Leif’s initial vision I originally thought it was a big asteroid or something but nope, seems we’re going out Majora’s Mask style (complete with Anne potentially getting her own Fierce Deity mode)

To elaborate, near the end of the promo we see Anne glowing like a rainbow, hear Sasha telling her to come back alive, and there’s another scene where Sprig says he needs to get to Anne.

This seems to indicate to me that the group’s initial assault will probably fail and as a last ditch effort they decide to channel the power of all three gems into Anne

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 10, 2022

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I think it's the other way around.

Either way I'll be disappointed if we don't get Super Saiyan Rosé Sasha and Legendary Super Saiyan Marcy by the end of this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Senerio posted:

I think it's the other way around.

Either way I'll be disappointed if we don't get Super Saiyan Rosé Sasha and Legendary Super Saiyan Marcy by the end of this

Same honestly, if Andrias is getting a redemption of some kind then at the very least I want to see three superpowered teenagers tearing the Core apart bit by bit (plus Marcy’s been through enough thanks to these people, she deserves to get some payback)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A neat thing someone caught. When andreas drops from the castle in the episode before the hour long one to join the fray on Amphibia's front lines, as he's getting back up you hear a lot of creaking metal sounds. All In reveals that this is because he is 90% machine now, his joints were just a bit stunned from the fall.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

A neat thing someone caught. When andreas drops from the castle in the episode before the hour long one to join the fray on Amphibia's front lines, as he's getting back up you hear a lot of creaking metal sounds. All In reveals that this is because he is 90% machine now, his joints were just a bit stunned from the fall.

Technically there was a hint way back in True Colors as well (during his fight with Anne he generates a shield to protect himself at one point)

Not entirely sure how long Andrias had been a cyborg for but it was likely soon after his father joined the Core and he took the throne (he spent his whole life trying to win his father’s approval and serve the Core, in a sense you could kind of see it as a more extreme version of what Anne and Sasha’s relationship was originally)

In that sense Darcy wasn’t Anne’s main enemy but rather Sasha’s, making it appropriate that each girl faced off against essentially the darkest version of the person they used to be (and in Marcy’s case her greatest enemy was arguably herself)

Speaking of, a nice little detail towards the end of the final battle was Anne moving slightly to the side when she destroyed the robot (she could have easily killed Andrias right then and there if she wanted to but didn’t because despite everything Anne is still Anne).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 11, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I noticed on rewatch that Sasha’s eyes went red during the huge worm fight for Barrel’s hammer. I tried looking up if there was a list of these after setting Anne’s eyes go blue in the first episode, but came up dry. Is there any example of Marcy’s eyes going green? The next episode is the third temple, where she will get drained, so there isn’t a whole lot of time for that to happen.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

IUG posted:

I noticed on rewatch that Sasha’s eyes went red during the huge worm fight for Barrel’s hammer. I tried looking up if there was a list of these after setting Anne’s eyes go blue in the first episode, but came up dry. Is there any example of Marcy’s eyes going green? The next episode is the third temple, where she will get drained, so there isn’t a whole lot of time for that to happen.

In Marcy at the Gates, just before she jumps into the Barbariant Queen's mouth, her eyes flash briefly green.

Also, Anne's eyes flash blue again in Handy Anne during the fight with the vegetable Voltron.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also a nice detail in retrospect is that every time one of the girls’ eyes flash they’re subconsciously tapping into the power of one of the gems during that particular situation (Anne demonstrating Heart by putting her life on the line to protect someone, Sasha putting on a display of raw Strength for the sake of accomplishing a personal goal, and Marcy using her Wit(s) to overcome a bad situation)

Speaking of, as someone else mentioned we’d better get Super Saiyan Rosé Sasha and Legendary Super Saiyan Marcy before the series is done (even if it’s just for the final fight). The Olm prophecy seemed to indicate as such at least but we’ll see

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 11, 2022

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also a nice detail in retrospect is that every time one of the girls’ eyes flash they’re subconsciously tapping into the power of one of the gems during that particular situation (Anne demonstrating Heart by putting her life on the line to protect someone, Sasha putting on a display of raw Strength for the sake of accomplishing a personal goal, and Marcy using her Wit(s) to overcome a bad situation)

Speaking of, as someone else mentioned we’d better get Super Saiyan Rosé Sasha and Legendary Super Saiyan Marcy before the series is done (even if it’s just for the final fight). The Olm prophecy seemed to indicate as such at least but we’ll see

I can't imagine we'd get Sasha delivering the line "Do we get anime powers, too?" and not have it pay off.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Madurai posted:

I can't imagine we'd get Sasha delivering the line "Do we get anime powers, too?" and not have it pay off.

My only worry in that regard is a scene from the recent promo where Anne appears to be glowing with the colors of all 3 gems (and a line in the same trailer from Sasha telling her to come back alive).

But I’m holding out hope we’ll get the trio together for the final battle as the show’s been hinting at (since she arrived in Newtopia Marcy has been manipulated, stabbed, and had her brain hijacked by a malevolent AI. If anyone deserves revenge here it’s her)

Hell, Anne and Sasha had all the fun last week so let Marcy tear the Core apart herself

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 11, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Also, Anne's eyes flash blue again in Handy Anne during the fight with the vegetable Voltron.

Ahem, it's clearly a vegetable Getter Robo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9h5AnLFPI

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Amphibia is filled with anime/video game references (hell, even the basic plot is essentially inspired by Magic Knight Rayearth)

Speaking of, I’ve never actually seen the latter series to be honest. Is it any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 11, 2022

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

MKR is genuinely great. Master class in the whole transported to another world genre.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nerdietalk posted:

MKR is genuinely great. Master class in the whole transported to another world genre.

Would it be better to start with the manga or the anime in that case (or are both equally good)?

Also is the 3 part OVA worth checking out as well or is it basically just an abridged retelling of the series?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 11, 2022

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Both are good, but kinda go in different directions based on weird early changes in the anime. I probably prefer the manga but neither experience is bad.

Never touched the OVA myself so I can't comment on it much.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Larryb posted:

Was Marcy’s dream world design also based on someone in particular or was it just those two?

Legolas, from Lord of the Rings (or the character who was an obvious Legolas knockoff that we saw in Marcy's favorite movie)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

Legolas, from Lord of the Rings (or the character who was an obvious Legolas knockoff that we saw in Marcy's favorite movie)

Makes sense, and going back to Sasha and Marcy likely getting Calamity powers in the finale I wonder if we could somehow get Sprig in on the action as well (there is a scene in the promo where he says he needs to get to Anne)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really think that the show could've done with another season even though it's managing okay. I didn't really like most of the Earth stuff, but maybe if it had a little more time it could've had more of an arc for itself. Maybe that essay stuff could've been brought in earlier. And then there'd be more time to see Wartwood developing a resistance, maybe get some farming stuff. Maybe lay the ground for some of the other little arcs of this episode.

But also I don't really care much for the season 3 opening/credits themes. They're okay, but not great.

Oh hey, and in the Amphibia Earth crypto is up. No wonder it was due for a robot invasion.

Nerd.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It does feel like this season could have at least used a few more episodes as while the last few have been decent some aspects of them also feel a bit rushed to me (as mentioned, you could have introduced a lot of All In’s plot points much earlier in the show)

For example, maybe you could have had an episode between Turning Point and Commander Anne where Sasha has to get used to life in Wartwood and see her interact with the townsfolk a bit more (also it’s still a little weird that aside from the Christmas episode implying her parents were separated we don’t really hear much about her family at all).

For one thing I could see her and Miss Croaker getting along considering the latter’s past (I figure Sadie told Sasha some stories about her former occupation, the two bonded over their shared love of violence, and that’s how she wound up as a high ranking member of the resistance)

Also they should have made a new opening after Anne and the Plantars got back to Amphibia (maybe a slightly darker take on it like Gravity Falls did for its last few episodes)

I’m still enjoying it overall though and hope we get a decent sendoff this week

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 12, 2022

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Larryb posted:

Would it be better to start with the manga or the anime in that case (or are both equally good)?

Also is the 3 part OVA worth checking out as well or is it basically just an abridged retelling of the series?

The MKR OVA has the same basic premise but the story and the characters end up being wildly different from the anime and the manga, and it also kind of sucks, so I'd at least avoid it until after you've seen the anime/read the manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Sasha recovered surprisingly quickly from being slashed across both the leg and the back

Also has Matt said anything yet about what his post-Amphibia plans are? I know there’s the Marcy’s Journal book coming out in November that retells some of Season 2 from her perspective at least

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Did they ever do the 'This is how the music box actually sounds' ending credits before?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, Sasha recovered surprisingly quickly from being slashed across both the leg and the back

Also has Matt said anything yet about what his post-Amphibia plans are? I know there’s the Marcy’s Journal book coming out in November that retells some of Season 2 from her perspective at least

Grimes seems pretty chipper too, considering.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Madurai posted:

Grimes seems pretty chipper too, considering.

Maybe Polly will build him a cool robot arm or something (and/or he’ll just retire and live in Wartwood).

He is apparently a skilled harp player after all so maybe he’ll start a music career when this is all over.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 13, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another promo for the Amphibia finale, this one seems to basically confirm that Calamity Sasha & Marcy is indeed going to happen:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=llr3DDEGLGM

There’s also a line in this that says the power comes with a price so I’ll be interested to see how that goes down (though considering the last episode is called “The Hardest Thing” I have a few guesses at least)

One thing I am curious about is Marcy, the whole reason she ran away is because her dad got a new job out of state and considering it’s been over 5 months since she left that would logically mean:

A: Her parents eventually assumed she was dead and already moved away during that time

B: Her dad had to turn down the job offer and find something else

But then again if she doesn’t move then that undermines both the lesson Marcy needs to learn from this and Anne’s whole speech last week about change. We’ll see I guess

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 14, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

who put this anime on amphibia is supposed to be airing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those watching the finale right now, do Sasha and Marcy wind up getting powers as well or is it Anne that does most of the work?