Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RBX posted:

Recently my Pixel 5 XL has started randomly losing mobile data in places it didn't before. I also had it repaired recently but I don't know if there's a correlation. Anybody else having that problem?

Actually yeah my Pixel 4a has started doing this. Enough for me to notice and actually mention it to my wife.

I'm on Spectrum Mobile (Verizon) and in the past week or two it's been dropping tons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm on Verizon too. The asurion affiliate won't even look at it because they can't replicate it which is mighty coincidental.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm on Mint Mobile and my Pixel 5 has had a more intermittent signal than usual (most of my neighborhood is in a cell phone black hole).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Omg why?! Extra inventory? I don't get it. It's like they want it to fail.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

Omg why?! Extra inventory? I don't get it. It's like they want it to fail.

Hey, when you design a watch in 2018 and wait 4 years to release it, things happen.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I've got an S21 and I've had a problem with gmail not updating for one of the two accounts I use. One of them is current in terms of the most recent emails I've received being available, but the other, which is the main one I use, has the newest email being from February. I've deleted the cache, which is how the other address actually became current, but it didn't get the main account up to date for whatever reason. Any suggestions as to how to fix this? The phone is running Android 12/ One UI 4.1.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Detective Thompson posted:

I've got an S21 and I've had a problem with gmail not updating for one of the two accounts I use. One of them is current in terms of the most recent emails I've received being available, but the other, which is the main one I use, has the newest email being from February. I've deleted the cache, which is how the other address actually became current, but it didn't get the main account up to date for whatever reason. Any suggestions as to how to fix this? The phone is running Android 12/ One UI 4.1.

Serious answer: install Outlook or another 3rd party client.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shot in the dark, have you signed into the one you aren't getting emails for recently? I few times for one reason or another I had gotten logged out of one account, and found out after that that's why I wasn't getting those emails.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Shot in the dark, have you signed into the one you aren't getting emails for recently? I few times for one reason or another I had gotten logged out of one account, and found out after that that's why I wasn't getting those emails.

I haven't singed in/out of that account on my phone recently. It seems like it's signed in, as in it shows me the inbox, but maybe I need to sign in/out. I'll give it a shot.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

check the battery optimization settings for the app maybe? Dunno, gmail does this on my OnePlus 5T too sometimes and I've never really figured it out but am guessing it has something to do with background battery saving shenanigans.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
so the 6a has 60Hz screen, no wireless charging, AND the same old 12mp camera sensor used in all the older pixels? And that for $150 less than the Pixel6? At least they got rid of the headphone jack but it's still a bad deal imho

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So what are your actually buying for $450 then? An A53 which also doesn't have wireless charging? You gain a 120hz display but downgrade to an Exynos 1280. Some random Moto with a 6xx series snapdragon and zero update support? There isn't a hell of a lot else out there for that price.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is kind of an aside, but I bought a couple Qi wireless adapters and they seem to work okay. I put one on an ancient LG Volt 2 that I use as an alarm clock and it seems to work fine, if not fast. They look similar to this:

Since the phone has a case it just sits between the back of the phone and the case. It gets kind of warm but doesn't seem much different from how hot my Pixel 6 gets sitting on a wireless charger.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BabyFur Denny posted:

so the 6a has 60Hz screen, no wireless charging, AND the same old 12mp camera sensor used in all the older pixels? And that for $150 less than the Pixel6? At least they got rid of the headphone jack but it's still a bad deal imho

So you're saying if you can afford to buy the premium phone then the budget version probably isn't the phone to get?

Gosh how insightful

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Clearly the best Android phone is an iPhone 7

https://projectsandcastle.org/status

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bull3964 posted:

So what are your actually buying for $450 then? An A53 which also doesn't have wireless charging? You gain a 120hz display but downgrade to an Exynos 1280. Some random Moto with a 6xx series snapdragon and zero update support? There isn't a hell of a lot else out there for that price.

An iPhone SE with an A15 costs $429 :v:

No wireless charging and 60hz there too, but at least you get a current cpu that will last five years

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Latest Android 13 beta supposedly improves the fingerprint scanner performance on the 6.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

Latest Android 13 beta supposedly improves the fingerprint scanner performance on the 6.
That's what is said about every single update, at this point it's just people imagining things

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

BabyFur Denny posted:

That's what is said about every single update, at this point it's just people imagining things

I couldn't agree more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

An iPhone SE with an A15 costs $429 :v:

No wireless charging and 60hz there too, but at least you get a current cpu that will last five years

And a low res lcd screen and a camera that doesn't even have a night mode.

And half the storage.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bull3964 posted:

So what are your actually buying for $450 then?

You can get an S22 for $300 from Fi and more than enough left over to pay for the two months of service. e: guess they changed it to 4 months recently, but the point still stands.

BabyFur Denny posted:

At least they got rid of the headphone jack

That's bait dot gif

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 15, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

eXXon posted:

You can get an S22 for $300 from Fi and more than enough left over to pay for the two months of service. e: guess they changed it to 4 months recently, but the point still stands.

You are evaluating MSRP of an unreleased phone to an active and evolving deal of something that's already out and requires bundling service.

It'll probably be best to make a value judgement on what deals are actually running when the thing comes out. Every carrier is going to have it, so there's almost certainly going to be service bundled deals right out of the gate.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bull3964 posted:

You are evaluating MSRP of an unreleased phone to an active and evolving deal of something that's already out and requires bundling service.

It'll probably be best to make a value judgement on what deals are actually running when the thing comes out. Every carrier is going to have it, so there's almost certainly going to be service bundled deals right out of the gate.

That's fair, but as a rando looking to buy a phone in the US ~soon, waiting for possible preorder deals on the 6a doesn't seem terribly compelling. Also it still strikes me as odd that Google has their own carrier discounting Samsung phones but they almost never give service bundle discounts on the Pixel 6 line (the 5a has been discounted for a while but it also goes on sale elsewhere/on the Google store occasionally). I suppose it makes sense if Fi is its own fiefdom making inscrutable decisions like other parts of Google.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not all that strange. Samsung tosses GOBS of money at the carriers to finance those deals. It's not really Google offering them, it's Samsung.

Like, if you buy a Samsung S level device at anything more than 70% of MSRP, you really hosed up.

If you are buying right now, buy whatever makes sense for your current situation. The lower MSRP devices have their place too though because there are people that are on carriers like Mint or lower featured carrier tiers that don't get as deep device discounts. Like my parents are on T-Mobile's 55+ essentials plan which means they don't really get any of the device upgrade discounts. 6a would be a good replacement for my dad's Nokia 6.1 when it dies just like my mom got a 4a5g in 2020 when her Moto G5 kicked the bucket.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I needed a phone and bought an S22, still waiting for it to arrive. I was thinking about buying a Pixel 6 because I hate how many redundant apps and bloatware Samsung puts in their phones and I don't want to root it (if you even can root an S22), but I was poking around the internet and saw how to remove apps with Command Prompt and something called ADB. Anyway, as long as I follow the "safe to remove" lists, I should be good right? It doesn't void warranty or end updates or anything?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

stratdax posted:

I needed a phone and bought an S22, still waiting for it to arrive. I was thinking about buying a Pixel 6 because I hate how many redundant apps and bloatware Samsung puts in their phones and I don't want to root it (if you even can root an S22), but I was poking around the internet and saw how to remove apps with Command Prompt and something called ADB. Anyway, as long as I follow the "safe to remove" lists, I should be good right? It doesn't void warranty or end updates or anything?

If it doesn't trip Knox you should be good.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'd hadn't heard of knox so I added that to some googles and found a couple random posts on the xdaforums that say it's good, so, thanks!
I've been using a work-issued S20 FE that's completely gutted and controlled by the IT department, and my last personal phone was an LG G6 that stopped working like 4 years ago, so I'm sure this is going to be quite a new user experience for me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
No matter how many times I set the bubble settings to "NOTHING CAN BUBBLE."

poo poo always bubbles. wtf.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
A friend of mine is looking for a new android phone. The 6a would be good for him but he wants ANT+ and as far as I can tell Google will never support ANT+ again. Would the Samsung A53 be the 6a equivalent? And does anyone know if it supports ANT+?
He's looking in the $500 range.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

deong posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a new android phone. The 6a would be good for him but he wants ANT+ and as far as I can tell Google will never support ANT+ again. Would the Samsung A53 be the 6a equivalent? And does anyone know if it supports ANT+?
He's looking in the $500 range.

I mean here's a supported device list for ANT+ but it certainly does not seem like it has much of a future: https://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/60/~/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
ANT is super useful for fitness sensors and Bluetooth is not a replacement/equivalent, I really hope it stays around.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Has anyone here ever connected an Android phone to a plain old HDMI monitor? I'm basically looking for a way to temporarily turn a monitor into a TV on the cheap without setting up a new Chromecast or anything like that. I have a Pixel 5a. (And my wife has an Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet and a Pixel 3.)

This Anker USB-C to HDMI adapter looks like it might be what I need. Everything I'm reading seems to check out. Just wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with it.

I actually already have this Anker USB-C hub (or something like it) for working from home, which I figured might provide this functionality, but it doesn't seem to. It does connect my work keyboard to the phone, but the monitors don't seem to accept it. So unless I'm missing something, I need to buy something else for what I'm trying to do.

(I'm aware that the adapter is not that much cheaper than a Chromecast, but I do want to avoid making the whole thing go through Wi-Fi, and also having a second Chromecast in the house might make things confusing when people want to cast stuff.)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Pixels don't support straight video out via USB-C, you can either cast to a Chromecast or there are specific docks that support another form of projection according to a quick search (using some DisplayLink app??). I think the Fire tablet has the same limitation, no USB-C alt mode.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So P6 camera questions.

Is there a way to turn the flash to "auto" instead of just on or off?

During my job, I periodically need to take pictures of nameplates on equipment sometimes very closely, in awkward locations.

Trying to find a macro mode on my P6 I was stumped...I couldn't find is. So I did some searching and it looks like it doesn't have one....?

I never even considered it not having one as I don't think I've had a phone in the last 4+ years that didn't. It's something I use periodically. Not sure I would have bought it now knowing it didn't have one.

Sometimes I find I can cheat by pulling the phone further away and zooming, but often I'm stuck up against a physical obstruction and can't do it.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Sir Lemming posted:

(I'm aware that the adapter is not that much cheaper than a Chromecast, but I do want to avoid making the whole thing go through Wi-Fi, and also having a second Chromecast in the house might make things confusing when people want to cast stuff.)
Counter point: Having a second Chromecast is cheap and there's already often smart TVs/video game systems on the list throwing people off. Having "Office" vs "Living room" isn't going to add too much extra I think. Plus you don't have to worry about random notifications/audio ruining the viewing with Chromecast.

Still interested if you get it working.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

People have less than a dozen cast targets in their houses? What?

Mine has to scroll when you're trying to cast audio.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, same. Right at the moment I count an even dozen, but I think some devices are powered off right now.

I have 54 devices connected to wifi at the moment.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The unlocked Samsung A53 is $350 on Amazon right now. That's $100 off the list price. Wonder if they're trying to steal some potential 6a customers.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

Has anyone here ever connected an Android phone to a plain old HDMI monitor? I'm basically looking for a way to temporarily turn a monitor into a TV on the cheap without setting up a new Chromecast or anything like that. I have a Pixel 5a. (And my wife has an Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet and a Pixel 3.)

This Anker USB-C to HDMI adapter looks like it might be what I need. Everything I'm reading seems to check out. Just wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with it.

I actually already have this Anker USB-C hub (or something like it) for working from home, which I figured might provide this functionality, but it doesn't seem to. It does connect my work keyboard to the phone, but the monitors don't seem to accept it. So unless I'm missing something, I need to buy something else for what I'm trying to do.

I used that adapter with my old Galaxy Note 9 hooked up to a projector for backyard movie nights and it pretty much worked flawlessly. Worked even better when I decided to use Dex and a Bluetooth mouse. That said, I eventually still ended up replacing it with one of the newer Chromecasts anyways. It was nice to find a use for my old phone and all, but for such a cheap price the Chromecast is just gonna do everything better, especially now that you don't need to control them from a phone anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks for warding me off that path, after reading some of these Google support pages more closely it does sound like Pixels don't actually support this functionality without a very specific kind of adapter and an app (DisplayLink) that does some weird encoding which doesn't really sound like the direct wired hookup I was hoping for. If it's going to depend on an app and be laggy I might as well just Chromecast. My whole goal was to avoid a "screen mirroring" type of thing.

Fortunately I finally found an HDMI adapter that should work with my laptop (it uses "micro" HDMI which I didn't even know was a thing) so I think I'm just going to do that. It's less powerful than my phone at this point, but it should still get the job done.