Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bragging rights. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Why not?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

If we're calling stuff, I wanna call that the season finale is going to be another Kwan episode, except for one final scene at the end with John waking up back at the base.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well they've already released the preview for the season finale, and from the looks it certainly seems like they aren't going to be trying to fit in the fall of reach. Maybe they do a cliffhanger at the end showing a giant fleet coming in or something, but it looks like the focus is on going off to some planet to retrieve the artifact.

I can't see how the covenant can come to pick up makee without blowing up the place as long as they're there, so I imagine she'll escape with the good doctor on her ship. Obviously she would tell them where reach is so I imagine that would setup for a fleet coming in later as an ending cliffhanger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3B56DwmCKk

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

Calling it again

We're not getting the Pillar of Autumn. Kwan is on a planet with a magic portal to the Halo, they're clearly going there.

My biggest bugbear with episode 8 is Halsey cuts off all communication on a military base with 10s of thousands of staff, that's reeling from the complete destruction of one of their planets and about to engage in a dangerous experiment involving a potential infiltrator and nobody notices for 20 minutes of screen time until it affects a named character. That place should have locked down instantly. But then again Makee has been popping her finger sword in and out the whole time she's been on Reach and the UNSC either hasn't noticed it in any of the surveillance footage or just doesn't care, so maybe the entire organisation is really that dumb.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeep posted:

so maybe the entire organisation is really that dumb.
It's the military

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Roman posted:

It's the military

The military that was able to non-contact monitor her vital signs accurately enough to overlay them on those of another person in another room, but failed to notice a 3cm long PCB in her finger?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeep posted:

The military that was able to non-contact monitor her vital signs accurately enough to overlay them on those of another person in another room, but failed to notice a 3cm long PCB in her finger?
yes that one

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well however the season ends, it looks like it'll be another crazy fight at the end.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Why is the internet so mad that John fucks?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Phenotype posted:

they wanted the marvel movie version of halo

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Tony Stark fucks, though, he's famous for it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Hardcore Halo nerds are mad that Master Chief gets laid because they can't

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Yeep posted:

so maybe the entire organisation is really that dumb.

Put blame where it's due. Its dumb writers, dumb lovely writers.

The whole universe they're trying to build basically doesn't exist outside of the scene you're watching with the characters in it.

Halsey could literally squat over MCs helmet in front of the whole UNSC in one scene and fill it with a bigger turd than this show, then after cutting to and from Kwan or something it'll be as if it never happened, with no reference made to it again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phenotype posted:

Who knows, it's funny though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Huh, so Marty has nuked his online presence and vanishee with a farewell note

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is that the soundtrack guy?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Jerusalem posted:

Is that the soundtrack guy?

Yeah! :/

Edit: Twitter and Reddit both indicate he's done something similar in the past and that he can be overly dramatic. Based on a message posted to his own Discord, he's "starting a new chapter," which I hope indicates that he's okay and not about to do something terrible.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 15, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

my cat is norris posted:

Yeah! :/

Edit: Twitter and Reddit both indicate he's done something similar in the past and that he can be overly dramatic. Based on a message posted to his own Discord, he's "starting a new chapter," which I hope indicates that he's okay and not about to do something terrible.

He's just being dramatic and retiring.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Never been the fan of the "taking my toys and going home" approach where you yank all your content when you leave.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SpartanIvy posted:

He's just being dramatic and retiring.

And it's not the first dramabomb stunt that O'Donnell has pulled. His behavior in his whole lawsuit against first Bungie and then Microsoft has been ... immature at best and utterly puerile at worst. It's not Microsoft's fault he didn't read his contract.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well at least they finally offered him enough money so ideally they can score season 2 accordingly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is that what happened? What's going on

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq5tX8k5gDg

found this scene very powerful, this show has certainly been a pleasant surprise! nsfw warning!!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Trash Trick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq5tX8k5gDg

found this scene very powerful, this show has certainly been a pleasant surprise! nsfw warning!!
I don't know why I find this so funny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ :xd:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
God drat it. It got taken down on the Two Best Friends subreddit. Never know what will get taken down on that site.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I think this episode confirms my thought that the Kwan / Chief stories were originally intended to be A and B plots intertwined between the last 3 episodes. Like how Soren went from Madrigal to the pirate job, back to Madrigal in the space of last episode, this one showed us Makee switch allegiances three times, and immediately falls for the chief.

Feels if that was paced over a couple of episodes it'd feel less jarring, though I'm glad they did the change. It was clear Kwan's story was dragging down the season.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Isometric Bacon posted:

I think this episode confirms my thought that the Kwan / Chief stories were originally intended to be A and B plots intertwined between the last 3 episodes. Like how Soren went from Madrigal to the pirate job, back to Madrigal in the space of last episode, this one showed us Makee switch allegiances three times, and immediately falls for the chief.

Feels if that was paced over a couple of episodes it'd feel less jarring, though I'm glad they did the change. It was clear Kwan's story was dragging down the season.

I think this makes an awful lot of sense. You are absolutely right that the odd pacing of events in the last two episodes would make a lot more sense if they were originally swapping between A and B plots to give more of a sense of time passing. I also agree that the change (if made) was the right call, neither of the last two episodes were actually compelling enough that it would be okay if their events were stretched out over two weeks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Best character on the show, hands down.

EDIT: glad everyone agrees.

Nice parallels to John when he cut out his chip and washed it down the sink, too.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 15, 2022

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Master Chef getting laid was a deep cut.

https://twitter.com/3CC0__/status/1525643881156866048?s=20&t=B_TQ8MSC75msyM7rbnIDWA

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah some of those folks on reddit still have that in their wallet.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Missed opportunity for Mjolnir mark VI branded protection

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He should've kept the helmet on while they were banging

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alchenar posted:

I think this makes an awful lot of sense. You are absolutely right that the odd pacing of events in the last two episodes would make a lot more sense if they were originally swapping between A and B plots to give more of a sense of time passing. I also agree that the change (if made) was the right call, neither of the last two episodes were actually compelling enough that it would be okay if their events were stretched out over two weeks.

I know there was a about a one year break in production around about episode 5/6, because of covid, which could explain a lot of things.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know there was a about a one year break in production around about episode 5/6, because of covid, which could explain a lot of things.

Yeah imagine a year of staring at the Kwan scenes in the edit room thinking 'Jesus what even is this?'

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I like the implication that Halsey couldn't handle Keyes' real talk and found that creepo Scottish simp as a rebound. I'm glad Danny Sapani got to do a bit of actual dramatic acting in that scene, short as it was.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cortana realizing her creator is batshit insane and bailing on her was pretty drat good. Everything else with Makee was loving terrible. The UNSC deserves to be glasses if this is how everyone operates.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Yeah can't stay I'm a big fan of the Chief / Makee romance, or the 'chosen one with a destiny' trope.

But at least they didn't make them related. Unless they want to get really weird with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Best character on the show, hands down.

EDIT: glad everyone agrees.