Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/1525508057572290560

I vote we start calling him Starscream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kdrudy posted:

Coaches told him he was terrible at QB, he asked for a second opinion. They old him okay, you're ugly, too.

classics are classics for a reason

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frank Ragnow has to pick his nickname.

Also, I love Dan Campbell so much. I hope against all hope that he's HC forever.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I've always been ok with the lions losing, at least they kept it fun.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Bold prediction: lions will finish with a better record than the bears. Also surprised it's been since 1993 since the lions won the division.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

The Detroit Lions have never won the NFC North, a four-team division entering its third decade of existence

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Bold prediction: lions will finish with a better record than the bears. Also surprised it's been since 1993 since the lions won the division.

Yeah, I agree. Bears winning 3 tops.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SirPablo posted:

I mean, it's certainly possible. imo how well the Lions will perform really comes down to Jared Goff: If he can play as well as he did in the last third of the season last year, then the Lions could very plausibly secure a break-even or winning record. But if he plays like he did to start the season, Lions are looking at another top 10 pick.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Lions will play with more conviction.

Bears do get Kirk Week 18, so they'll get a last second win.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

SirPablo posted:

Not sure this is that bold a prediction

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should get some broom maker to sponsor some playoffs.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

SirPablo posted:

How are you surprised? Im more surprised that a paper bag wasnt incorporated into the logo somehow. The lions have only won the division 3 times since divisions were created. Sorry to pile on, but do you know who else won the division 3 times? Tampa Bay and they were only here from '77 to '01.

Good luck. Really. Ive never hated the lions in my life.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, it's certainly possible. imo how well the Lions will perform really comes down to Jared Goff: If he can play as well as he did in the last third of the season last year, then the Lions could very plausibly secure a break-even or winning record. But if he plays like he did to start the season, Lions are looking at another top 10 pick.

All I really want out of this season (besides fewer injuries, holy poo poo) is for Goff to just be one guy this season. Be good Goff or be bad Goff, I don't care which. Just make it an easy choice for the Lions one way or another at the end of the season, please.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I doubt the Lions finish with a better record than the Bears, I guess I wouldn't be surprised. But the Bears are still a better team lol.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

But the Bears are still a better team lol.

There's maybe one player from the Bears roster I'd like on my team. There's easily half a dozen on the Lions.

The Bears roster is really dire man.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexo posted:

I doubt the Lions finish with a better record than the Bears, I guess I wouldn't be surprised. But the Bears are still a better team lol.

Not without Andy Dalton.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's maybe one player from the Bears roster I'd like on my team. There's easily half a dozen on the Lions.

The Bears roster is really dire man.

Jaylen Johnson, Roquan, Mooney, Quinn are all definite upgrades over anyone on any other NFC North Team besides Mooney and the Vikings receivers (maybe not JJ over one of the Packers Corners)

I'd take Fields upside over what Goff and Cousins give, but yeah he hasn't shown himself to be better than either yet.

The Bears roster has not gotten appreciably worse from the players who played last year. Mack was hurt and barely played and even when he did play he was largely pedestrian, Allen Robinson was bad(mostly badly used in his defense but yeah)

They probably upgraded their secondary dramatically assuming Gordon and Brisker aren't complete garbage, and even them being garbage would just equal the garbage we had last year. This system at least is a system that isn't going to give up gently caress off huge plays as it's designed to always keep things in front. Rather than the lovely corners loving up and then putting insane stress on the safeties.

Offense is roughly the same as last year, but it probably can't be any particularly worse coached than last year's team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

An offense that isn't all 8 yard hitches will be a revelation

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I think the bears are insanely bad, like top 5 pick bad, and fields is going to play maybe 10 games.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I will die for any offense that contains a slant

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dexo posted:

I will die for any offense that contains a slant

Can I interest you in a drag route on 3rd and 9?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

As long as it's not all 7 yard hitches on third and 9

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Dexo posted:

Hey that's Kirk's finishing move.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Kirk is an expert in taking what the defense gives him. Only problem is when the defense doesn't give him a win.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

Ah, the John Shoop special.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It is pretty hard for me to peg how bad the Bears will be this season. Team is sorely lacking in top end talent, but at the same time, guys like Mack and Robinson weren't exactly huge contributors to last year's team so their departure might not hurt the way you initially think it might. Hard to know how new coaches will affect things or whether any of the rookies will make an impact off the bat.

And the main thing is, there are so many bad teams in the NFL this season, a bunch of whom are on the Bears schedule. I could see it ending up like the one year when the Bulls traded Jimmy Butler and decided to tank, but despite their dogshit roster they only ended up with the 7th-worst record because other teams were even more dire

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Parallelwoody posted:

Kirk is an expert in taking what the defense gives him. Only problem is when the defense doesn't give him a win.

Kirk and the Vikings were very happy for 6 years, then they signed him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

xbilkis posted:

It is pretty hard for me to peg how bad the Bears will be this season. Team is sorely lacking in top end talent, but at the same time, guys like Mack and Robinson weren't exactly huge contributors to last year's team so their departure might not hurt the way you initially think it might. Hard to know how new coaches will affect things or whether any of the rookies will make an impact off the bat.

And the main thing is, there are so many bad teams in the NFL this season, a bunch of whom are on the Bears schedule. I could see it ending up like the one year when the Bulls traded Jimmy Butler and decided to tank, but despite their dogshit roster they only ended up with the 7th-worst record because other teams were even more dire

The coaching is the real wild card. The Bears had at least two more wins in them last year with better coaching. I think they’re still at least a year away from being a playoff contender no matter what though.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Parallelwoody posted:

On the Vikings Subreddit someone asked the difference between Kirk Cousins and Matt Stafford and it hit me that Matt played to win the game and that Kirk played to complete the pass. He has the skill but not the mindset for winning.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think the Bears are going to be loving terrible. Sure you can say Mack, Robinson, Hicks, Daniels etc were bad or unavailable, but they didn’t replace them! Maybe their GM is a genius and the glut of borderline starters they signed pan out but I wouldn’t hold my breath. I would take the Lions roster over the Bears in a heartbeat. Their coaching staff too.

For what guys the Bears do have they will have the primary attention now of the other team. Triple team Mooney and stack the box. Double Quinn and pick on the rookies in the secondary.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Seems a bit premature to take a coaching staff over another considering both coaching staffs haven't proven anything, Detroit seems to have a nice affable coach but uh might wanna wait for them to win more than 3 games to make that affirmation lol.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
It’s more that I think Eberflus is a classic dud pick and of course the Bears are the team that went for him. Staking my prediction early rather than waiting to see!

I do like Fields in the Shanahan system but I think he will he continually hurt. Plus not sure if his flaws will ever be resolved but it will be impossible to tell this year with what he has to work with.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Darth Brooks posted:

On the Vikings Subreddit someone asked the difference between Kirk Cousins and Matt Stafford and it hit me that Matt played to win the game and that Kirk played to complete the pass. He has the skill but not the mindset for winning.

Kirk is exactly who he says he is, he takes what the defense gives him. Which is great to play smart most of the time but defenses will let QBs throw short all day if everything else stays locked down. His issue is shifting into aggressive game winning mode and forcing a defense to react to him, something Stafford has proven he can do. And if your defense is one of the worst in the league you need to be aware of that and be prepared to play less conservatively.

Whether that's all been because of Zimmer or not this season will answer the questions about Kirk's ability to win for better or worse.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

ghosthorse posted:

Kirk is exactly who he says he is, he takes what the defense gives him. Which is great to play smart most of the time but defenses will let QBs throw short all day if everything else stays locked down. His issue is shifting into aggressive game winning mode and forcing a defense to react to him, something Stafford has proven he can do. And if your defense is one of the worst in the league you need to be aware of that and be prepared to play less conservatively.

...does this make sense?

- Charmander = Chad Pennington
- Charmeleon = Kirk Cousins
- Charizard = Aaron Rodgers

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

surf rock posted:

...does this make sense?

- Charmander = Chad Pennington
- Charmeleon = Kirk Cousins
- Charizard = Aaron Rodgers

Squirtle line feels more appropriate, tbh.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Bears are going to be bad, but they're going to be just good enough to rope me into watching them play every week.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I don't think there's any way we can predict if the Bears will be bad or the Lions good. The only thing we know for sure is the Packers will poo poo the bed in the first round of the playoffs.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I don't think there's any way we can predict if the Bears will be bad or the Lions good. The only thing we know for sure is the Packers will poo poo the bed in the first round of the playoffs.

They could always poo poo the bed in a win/in week 18 this year :v:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Bears are going to be bad, but they're going to be just good enough to rope me into watching them play every week.

I love Bears doom posts about them being historically awful as if Bears games aren't played under weird bizarro logic that causes other teams to also forget how to play football.

Elite teams will beat the poo poo outta them. It's the NFL, the rest of the games will probably be pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Bears have only been abject garbage (like top 3 pick tier) like 2-3 times in my lifetime lol

Last year they had an offense that averaged like 18 points a game, and had no secondary and still managed to win 6 games and be "IN THE HUNT" late lol