Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The more I think of it, the more I want Tina Fey as the American Taskmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

The more I think of it, the more I want Tina Fey as the American Taskmaster.

This is the single best person I have ever heard to be taskmaster in the US.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I was kind of disappointed it wasn’t actually all 5 of them at once for the high five task.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

After episode 1 I was disappointed and thought Ardal would end up being at the bottom or near bottom for every episode because he was who I was most excited to see. But he's really turned it around.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drunken officeparty posted:

I was kind of disappointed it wasn’t actually all 5 of them at once for the high five task.

To be fair that would have resulted in Judi going straight away and the other four standing there until the time ran out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder how many points someone would have gotten if they high fived Alex twice in a row, becoming e.g. the third and the fourth high fiver.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Just the max points for third I'd think, I doubt they'd let it stack

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wonder how many points someone would have gotten if they high fived Alex twice in a row, becoming e.g. the third and the fourth high fiver.

I didn't catch all the details of the task, but couldn't someone just run up and high five him three time for a win?

mclem
Oct 2, 2021
I assumed that no matter what *else* you might score, if you high-fived first or last, you scored nothing, overriding everything else. I thought that it was implied that this was right with the chat about whether or not to allow Bridget - I assumed that the distinction there was that if they did *not* allow Bridget, Ardal would have high fived last within the time, and would have scored zero despite also earning four points.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Friend of mine is helping LAH with this in Chesham, looks fun!

https://twitter.com/stevyncolgan/status/1525121703139065859?s=21&t=QQ5_rmnAKG2rWDQKeUMIWw

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't like when tasks get too long and unnecessarily complicated, because sometimes I miss things when they're cutting between people or my attention has already drifted, and then if there's a million different things to keep track of, I just don't really know what the task was or what to look out for.

I also kinda resent the tasks that have extra bits added that aren't really included in the scoring but are just wacky things to make people look more silly, like they need the help.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I also kinda resent the tasks that have extra bits added that aren't really included in the scoring but are just wacky things to make people look more silly, like they need the help.

No way!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finally got around to watching the first ep of this season. drat, it hits the ground running, huh? Bridget seems… on edge?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm rooting hard for Bridget. Chris is too naturally good, so while I'm not actively rooting against him (cough cough Richard Herring), I do hope someone else comes in front.

Ardal's aggressive derision of the other contestants is bliss.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The World Inferno posted:

Ardal's aggressive derision of the other contestants is bliss.

It's not really aggressive, is it? More like, witty desperation from Ardal who's convinced he's done bad yet still wants to try to win

I love it

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't like when tasks get too long and unnecessarily complicated, because sometimes I miss things when they're cutting between people or my attention has already drifted, and then if there's a million different things to keep track of, I just don't really know what the task was or what to look out for.

Name some tasks that are "unnecessarily complicated"? The segments on the tasks are 10 mins long, if you can't maintain attention that long then I don't really know.

Your second point makes me think this show isn't really for you - maybe check out The Krypton Factor?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Beens posted:

Name some tasks that are "unnecessarily complicated"? The segments on the tasks are 10 mins long, if you can't maintain attention that long then I don't really know.

Your second point makes me think this show isn't really for you - maybe check out The Krypton Factor?

Nah you do get the occasional task that has multiple instant fail requirements, and usually Greg doesn't give a gently caress about it because everyone fails at least one of them.

The "search the house while being loud and carrying a bunch of cuddly toys" in the last episode was an example but I think it worked. Another rule on top of that would've been too much.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MisterZimbu posted:

I don't recall much of Tarbuk "not giving a poo poo" considering she tended to knock it out of the park more often or not. With that said though she definitely came into the task, did the job without getting flustered, came out with 5 points, which doesn't make as much for good comedy TV.

Still, she made Alex sit in a cake. S-tier contestant for that alone.

Tarbuck wasn't always the funniest dialog-wise but the cake is my favorite thing that's ever happened on Taskmaster.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
She also gave us that amazing team task where she got "hops" almost immediately and the other two just ignored her. I wouldn't put her in the top half of contestants, entertainment-wise, but she gave us a few great moments.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Just saw the 4th episode of Suurmestari, in which the contestants were challenged to set the most elegant task involving a pickle, a shoelace and a flower pot. That's a fun one to play along with at home. My gut instinct was to go with a variant of a TM NZ task

Split this pickle in half as evenly as possible.

You must be at least 1.5m from the pickle when you split it.

You may only use the equipment provided.

Most evenly split pickle wins.

You have ten minutes.

Your time starts now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

The show already has a lot of of weird and funny people that will naturally provide a variety of funny responses so they don't need a script in the task itself to feed them jokes.

And aside from the fact that people in the task will often forget big parts of the task that they themselves will read out, when there's big things included in the task that they just kinda shrug off, it undermines when they want to play strict with the rules.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Having 1 or 2 contestants forget or ignore part of the task is a feature not a bug.

I've been having a really hard think on it, and the only task I thought was too much was in Series 10 "Complete the most tasks shown behind these doors". And it wasn't because it was too complicated, it was because the tasks behind the doors weren't very interesting, and the "storyline" of the garage doors linking them wasn't interesting.

That was a straight downgrade from Series 9's "Complete the seven tasks."

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's also kinda important to remember there are gonna be tasks that just don't work for you, it's kinda the nature of the tasks being kind of a grab bag. Personally I find the musical ones really awkward usually because I'm utterly tone deaf and most comedians aren't great at improvising a tune but obviously I'd never suggest they stop doing them since they clearly are a lot of peoples favourites.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

thebardyspoon posted:

It's also kinda important to remember there are gonna be tasks that just don't work for you, it's kinda the nature of the tasks being kind of a grab bag. Personally I find the musical ones really awkward usually because I'm utterly tone deaf and most comedians aren't great at improvising a tune but obviously I'd never suggest they stop doing them since they clearly are a lot of peoples favourites.

I am musical and I've never liked them either. All the way back to the Whose Line on Comedy Central, music games are painful.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
how else would you learn that Rosalind is a loving nightmare?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

oh jay posted:

Having 1 or 2 contestants forget or ignore part of the task is a feature not a bug.

I've been having a really hard think on it, and the only task I thought was too much was in Series 10 "Complete the most tasks shown behind these doors". And it wasn't because it was too complicated, it was because the tasks behind the doors weren't very interesting, and the "storyline" of the garage doors linking them wasn't interesting.

That was a straight downgrade from Series 9's "Complete the seven tasks."

I feel like the best version of that task was in Series 5, with the three simultaneous tasks and the three items to complete them. The problem with the series 10 version is that it's pretty obvious that the setup is "something you do on an earlier task is going to make a later task much harder", but there's not really any way to be smart about it, you just kind of have to get lucky and hope the order you choose to complete things in is ideal. The three task version on the other hand, all the information was available up front and they absolutely could have read all three tasks, planned out the best item to use for each one, and done it pretty easily, but well, the time started as soon as they opened the first envelope.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just want the 'buy a gift for Greg' task to come back. I know they stopped because they didn't want it to become overplayed but they haven't done it in 10 seasons now. :(

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

stev posted:

I just want the 'buy a gift for Greg' task to come back. I know they stopped because they didn't want it to become overplayed but they haven't done it in 10 seasons now. :(

Mix it up a little though: "Buy a gift for Alex that the Taskmaster would find the most 'appropriate'"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sudden Javelin posted:

how else would you learn that Rosalind is a loving nightmare?

Yeah the musical tasks are a mixed bag but they've brought some real gems.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

NZ season 2 David rap got me to laugh harder than anything else on any season of this show has.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

NZ season 2 David rap got me to laugh harder than anything else on any season of this show has.

“Drink more milk, bitch.” Is one of the funniest insults ever.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

“Drink more milk, bitch.” Is one of the funniest insults ever.

And when Urzila throws it back in his face when he gives them the meat trays, just caps the whole thing off.

Other memorable lyrics:

Split you like ba-na-na/Oh no, better call your mama
Gonna gonna drown you...in your own blood/Hold you face down in your own blood now

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How does the nz taskmaster compare to the UK one?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

redreader posted:

First series is all right, but the second series is a top 3 across any TM version.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

redreader posted:

Season 2 of New Zealand is probably the best overall taskmaster season

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
These people speak truth. I laughed harder at s2 of NZ than I have any TZ season. I rewatch the grape task almost monthly I think.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I keep going back to the sunscreen task. :allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pinwiz11 posted:

I keep going back to the sunscreen task. :allears:

The Abraham Lincoln task for me. That entire series is :discourse:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Fun thought, if Series 13 was the same length as Series 2, Bridget banging the pot on the ground would have aired only 7 minutes before she lifted the series trophy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I always see a lot of love for David Correos in TMNZ 2 (and don't get me wrong, he's great) but Guy Montgomery is maybe my favorite contestant from any season of the show. He has at least one line every episode that makes me cackle.