Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

harperdc posted:

It’s specifically the 23/2, 35/2, 50/2 and 16/2.8. They “shine” in as far as being reasonably priced, fairly fast, and with very quick autofocus. I have the 35 and 16 and enjoy shooting with both, should try to pick up the 23 soon.

I also have a second-gen sensor camera (X-T20) so that may help? I know the autofocus on that wasn’t the strong suit there.

The pancake 18 was one of the first lenses released with the X system, so it is similar to the 35/1.4 in that it’s supposed to be good but “interesting,” and unlike the 35, it isn’t to everyone’s taste. Wouldn’t say no if I found one cheap though.

The 23/2 is my favorite lens. I've found that the 35/2 struggles with autofocus in low light, but that was with my X-T1 body. I haven't gotten a lot of opportunities to use it on my X-T4 (simply because the 23 is mounted on my camera 80% of the time).

They're weather-sealed too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Some of my favorite landscape photos have been made, unfortunately, with a heavy rear end 70-200 2.8 lens

I hate it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just keep in mind that lugging that dumbbell is getting you ripped and that supertele landscapes are the best. Everyone always out there trying to get the widest lens they can but the real fun happens when you zoom in.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what the sony situation is, but Nikon and Canon have really nice 70-200 f4 lenses that I think would do everything you'd want in a landscape situation and are way lighter/cheaper than their f2.8 brethren. When I was Nikon f mount I moved from the 2.8 to 4.0 and never regretted it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

The above suggestion of a 30mm is probably a good one, that would be decent for street and fine for portraits to. Probably just be frustrating to use for landscapes though.

Unfortunately the 30mm sigma is out of my price range right now, but I might consider those extensions for the existing lenses

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I’d love to use the Sony 70-200 f4 but it’s not as sharp as the 2.8, and I barely think the 2.8 is good enough (granted I only have the first version, not the new II, but boy howdy that money)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What reasons would anyone buying a camera body choose a DSLR over a mirrorless at this point? Just... price, battery life, and native lens selection (for those who don't want to get a mount adapter), right? The latest Canon DSLR released seems to be the Rebel T8i/850D... back in 2020. I've gotten more people asking me for camera recommendations and it seems like Canon/Nikon are going full-bore on their mirrorless systems already (slight advantage to Nikon for having the Z-mount work for both full-frame and APS-C).

(not me having terminal GAS brainworms and wondering if I should get a DSLR ITYOOL 2022 just for kicks)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have a t7i because that's what I currently have

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

What reasons would anyone buying a camera body choose a DSLR over a mirrorless at this point? Just... price, battery life, and native lens selection (for those who don't want to get a mount adapter), right?

yep, sensor tech and capability is all much better with the mirrorless cameras, and in the case of the Canon R and Nikon Z mounts, there are native adapters for the EF and F mount respectively for all that old glass.

definitely don't buy a new DSLR, and if you really want to go down that path of madness, try and get a good deal on something very capable (eg like a Canon 7D II or 5D or similar).

there's zero point in looking at entry-level or prosumer DLSRs in 2022.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I think last year was the final tipping point where mirrorless eclipsed DSLR is all tasks (well except battery life).
If you are buying second hand though, the deals on dslrs are way better.

I'd like to upgrade but at the moment it's an expensive path, I could get a Z50 and adapt all my dx glass but it's a weaker camera in a lot of ways to my D7500. I could go full frame but then I've got 6 or so lenses I need to replace. Hopefully nikon announce the z70 or whatever and makes my choice easier for me as ideally I'd like to slowly move up to ff and I could do that with a z70, slowly replacing my dx glass with new Z ff glass.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Any recommendations for monitor color calibrators? I was looking at the SpyderX Pro as it's not that expensive and seems pretty popular, however a lot of the reviews say it's pretty bad, but that the Elite model actually can do a good job.

e: I should note that I'm not a professional so I'm not looking to spend too much. The Pro's price was reasonable for me, but I'm not sure I can justify spending over $200. One of my monitors came pre-calibrated w/ a calibration report, and that's "good enough" for me. However, my other monitor didn't and the difference is obvious. Partially want this to just get these 2 monitors matched (or at least close), partially want to calibrate laptop screens (which almost never come pre-calibrated) so I'm more confident with editing on the go, partially want to not have to worry about whether future monitor purchases are pre-calibrated or not (since I can just do my own calibration).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 6, 2022

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Splinter posted:

Any recommendations for monitor color calibrators? I was looking at the SpyderX Pro as it's not that expensive and seems pretty popular, however a lot of the reviews say it's pretty bad, but that the Elite model actually can do a good job.

Get a print or two made, then futz with the brightness/contrast/temperature on your monitor until it looks pretty close to the prints.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an i1 Display Pro I've had for quite a while and been mostly happy with. Looks like it's been replaced by the ColorChecker Display Pro. There was some reason I chose it over everything else, but I don't remember that reason. Something to do with DisplayCal maybe.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It doesn’t use materials that will degrade over time and give you bad calibrations too
The spyder sucks rear end, buy the i1

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

harperdc posted:

yep, sensor tech and capability is all much better with the mirrorless cameras, and in the case of the Canon R and Nikon Z mounts, there are native adapters for the EF and F mount respectively for all that old glass.

definitely don't buy a new DSLR, and if you really want to go down that path of madness, try and get a good deal on something very capable (eg like a Canon 7D II or 5D or similar).

there's zero point in looking at entry-level or prosumer DLSRs in 2022.

I’m not at all an expert on this so sorry if I’m talking out of my rear end, but aren’t most of the Nikon Z sensors just tweaked versions of existing DSLRs? Like the Z50 is the D500 sensor, the Z6 is the D750, etc. I feel like for most uses the photos would be comparable across the Nikon D and Z until the Z gets a little further down the road.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

I’m not at all an expert on this so sorry if I’m talking out of my rear end, but aren’t most of the Nikon Z sensors just tweaked versions of existing DSLRs? Like the Z50 is the D500 sensor, the Z6 is the D750, etc. I feel like for most uses the photos would be comparable across the Nikon D and Z until the Z gets a little further down the road.

The big difference isn’t the usual details like max ISO, which might carry over, but instead the autofocus systems. Even the top of the line DSLRs don’t have the same coverage of the frame with AF as many mirrorless system sensors do. The Z9 has at least 3x as many AF points as the D6 did, and the D6 has a ton of points for a DSLR.

Add to that the “what you see is what you get” viewfinders and the packaging benefits for APS-C sensor bodies, and it all starts to look more attractive.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

They all have new BSI sensors. The only D camera they share a sensor with is the D780.

Honestly sensor tech has gotten so good you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference between dslrs of a few years ago and mirrorless today. The real money is going into the processor powering the camera and the algorithms that do the focusing. Stuff like eye tracking is a complete game changer for a lot of people.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If I recall, all the spyder sensors are the same thing and the different tiers are just for what software package comes with it. Luckily: third party calibration software exists, and can use literally any spyder sensor to its fullest potential!

Also, fuji lens question: if I don’t particularly give a poo poo about weather resistance, is there any reason to get the new 23/1.4 over the old model?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The 23/2 is noticeably smaller, if that matters to you. Sometimes it's nice to have such an unassuming-looking camera.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The new Fuji 23mm f/1.4 seems to have a more silent linear motor and closer focusing distance (19 cm versus 28 cm).

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I ordered an OM-1 start of March, apparently it’s now due “sometime in June”. Bit of a bummer, but what can you do?

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Anyone have any recommendations for a backpack that will fit my D500 and 200-500 f5.6 (preferably attached to each other), 13 inch laptop, and a pair of binoculars? I’m traveling and want something that will work to carry my gear on the plane, and a bag to carry around my laptop at the conference I’m going to. Bonus if it’s available on Amazon since I have a bunch of gift card money there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been using an osprey apogee since last fall, it's not specifically a camera bag but if you buy a camera insert it's pretty good at it. It lugs an R5 and a 150-600 with room for a jacket and an ipad pro so I think that's comparable to what you're looking for.

It's pretty comfortable and can also take a water bladder so it can function as a day pack. The side pockets are good for water bottles but you can also stuff tripod legs into them and secure it with a side strap, works great.

Main downside with it is when fully loaded you're gonna have to unpack stuff to get to the bottom. But that's pretty normal for backpacks.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Hey y'all just wanted to give an update. I ended buying a used Nikon D3500 with the 2 kit lenses (18-55mm VR and 70-300mm) for $400. Only ~800 shutter actuations on it.

I've had it about 4 days and love it so far. I've taken about 500 photos in 2 days just figuring out settings and stuff that work for me. Results have been pretty good too for just getting started.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

xzzy posted:

I've been using an osprey apogee since last fall, it's not specifically a camera bag but if you buy a camera insert it's pretty good at it. It lugs an R5 and a 150-600 with room for a jacket and an ipad pro so I think that's comparable to what you're looking for.

It's pretty comfortable and can also take a water bladder so it can function as a day pack. The side pockets are good for water bottles but you can also stuff tripod legs into them and secure it with a side strap, works great.

Main downside with it is when fully loaded you're gonna have to unpack stuff to get to the bottom. But that's pretty normal for backpacks.

Thanks, looks great. I have an Osprey for backpacking that I love. What insert are you using?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EPICAC posted:

Thanks, looks great. I have an Osprey for backpacking that I love. What insert are you using?

This one, but not sure where I got it from since I haven't ordered from B&H in years. Everything fits nicely, there's enough room in the middle for a little bag of "stuff" like batteries and lens cloths or whatever.

https://www.ruggard.com/product/14669/Ruggard-PIB_1MG-Camera-Insert-for-DSLR-(Gray)

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

EPICAC posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a backpack that will fit my D500 and 200-500 f5.6 (preferably attached to each other), 13 inch laptop, and a pair of binoculars? I’m traveling and want something that will work to carry my gear on the plane, and a bag to carry around my laptop at the conference I’m going to. Bonus if it’s available on Amazon since I have a bunch of gift card money there.

I picked up a Manfrotto Bumblebee 220 about 4 years ago, and my only complaint is that I should have bought the larger 230 one instead. It easily fits two camera bodies, a 70-200mm, a 100-400mm and an external monitor and still has some room leftover for some smaller lenses like a 50mm and a wide angle. I've travelled a lot with it and I've always managed to squeeze it into the overhead compartments, even with a tripod attached. Snuggly fits my 16" laptop.

I think they recently replaced it with the Flex Loader which is a bit squarer, and I'll probably replace my current one with it at the end of the year.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

jesus christ dpreview used to be a good site but now all their reviews are videos with neckbeards, i'm not watching any of that

and why can't sony just put arca swiss plates on their zooms

:mad:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Most dpreviews reviews have an article to read also with technical details.

And the two Canadian guys who they brought on to do the video reviews are great :colbert:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
yeah if anything pictures of jordan in the fetal position on the ground just add to the articles

they still post the extremely dry technical comparison short videos and the written articles, so yeah just check those

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Maybe it’s just me but it also seems like there just isn’t as much cool upcoming digital camera stuff being revealed month-to-month anymore. The span of time from when Sony launched the A7 to about three years ago (hmmm) seemed like heady days for the industry but it’s fallen off now. The capstone to it all was the release of the Canon R5, and rather than the crowning achievement of the mirrorless era it was just something that got too hot and people loved to complain about.

Fuji were supposed to announce a 40MP X-H2 sometime in Q1 2022 but instead we just get something with another 26MP sensor with faster readout for video.

The Z9 looks cool but it doesn’t appear to really exist.

I guess one kind of interesting trend that seems to be developing is the shutterless mirrorless camera, now that readout speeds are high enough that you can begin and end exposures electronically without inducing severe rolling shutter effects in a single frame. That’s cool. I’m still waiting on higher resolution and dynamic range though. Yeah everything is good enough now, but it would be cool if we could get what like 96MP full frame sensors with 12+ stops of DR? I think something like that is where you actually get a real noticeable increase in still image quality.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The fujifilm summit is on the 31st, so any big fuji announcement will be then.

As for why stuff has slowed. There's still a global chip shortage going on. No point releasing stuff you cannot make.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
My old Lumix GF1 is finally giving up the ghost and I'm looking to replace it. I'm not married to micro 4/3 but I like the smaller size of mirrorless and I can only imagine EVFs are much nicer these days than they used to be. I shoot mostly landscapes and architecture and candid portraits. I don't use flash so low light performance is important to me. I don't shoot anything with long lenses. One thing I am interested in is a camera that can wirelessly transfer photos to my iPhone.

I don't really know what the digital camera market is like these days since it's been about 10 years since I bought one. I like to hike, backpack, and travel so I prefer compact and lightweight to large and bulky. It looks like there are some mirrorless full frame cameras available now, are they any good? My budget is less than $2000 USD which would include a new body plus a couple of lenses, usually I use a fast wide angle and medium zoom.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
All the FF cameras now are really good with maybe the exception of the cheap canon FF (the RP I think), but nice glass is really expensive and the glass is still generally way bulkier compared to m43. You'll probably have to actually think about what you're bringing on a hike.

If you don't want to buy new glass and do a lot of landscape and architecture then the olympus em1 iii (smaller) or em1x (built in grip so slightly bulkier but still small) are both m43 cameras under $2k with hand held high res capability. It's 50 mp hand held sensor shift or 80 mp if it's on a tripod, and both modes improve the dr and color data pretty significantly as well.

The GH6 (100 mp I think?) and OM1 have really nice high res modes too but they're both slightly over budget.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The capstone to it all was the release of the Canon R5, and rather than the crowning achievement of the mirrorless era it was just something that got too hot and people loved to complain about.

I wonder if this isn't going to be the next big hurdle to overcome. The R5 overheats because CFExpress type B cards overheat when transferring data at high speeds. Increasing image or video quality will demand even higher data transfer speeds. The obvious solution is built in fans and heatsinks, but... that presents a whole new set of problems.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue is weather sealing and heat dissipation, the two concepts are at opposition. A chunk of aluminum that has contact with ambient air would probably fix it. There's people out there that's have put water cooling on the R5 but that's mostly for internet fame than a necessity.

I've loved every minute with my R5, but to be fair I don't ever do video.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There’s a rumor that the Fujifilm XH-2 will have an optional fan accessory. It turns out that 6k video is processor and bus intensive, who knew?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
Am I the only one who prefers to shoot around 20-26 MP? It’s enough resolution for 99% of what I shoot and the workflow is so much faster. As long as I don’t need to crop a ton a 10-year-old 16 MP Nikon D4 is a great option for daily shooting

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Most people are just looking at pictures on phone screens anyways. I certainly wouldn't have any possible need for more resolution than ~20-26 mp, and I'd bet most people are in the same boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I hear you

Farting around with this a7riv, it’s what I’ve wanted forever. Scanned medium format quality in a FF body (if slightly noisy)

But one of the first things I did was setup one of the dial presets to spit out 24mp jpegs for cat pictures