Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I mean the first DnD movie was made by a legit crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Mazes and Monsters is a far-out game.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
How the gently caress do I remember that the director of the first Dungeons and Dragons movie is Courtney Solomon?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Arivia posted:

So the locations and people are all universally in and around Neverwinter/the Sword Coast North EXCEPT for a bunch of Red Wizards/Thay stuff. So something with Red Wizards way across Faerun again. Yawn.

Some of the questions I got were "How acceptable would it be for a druid to turn into an Owlbear" and "Should a shapeshifter be able to change forms unlimited times" and I'm just thinking gently caress YES

Lammasu posted:

In the open question "what would make you most excited in a new D&D movie?" I replied "The return/resurrection of Snails, oh and maybe Profion too. Jeremy Irons RULED in that role"

Possible red herrings, or possible characters in the new movie based on various questions I got several of:

A druid shapeshifter (see above)
A wild magic sorceror who also can speak to/raise the dead
A cleric not tied to a single god
A berserker raging barbarian, possibly of the Uthgardt Elk tribe.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

St0rmD posted:

Some of the questions I got were "How acceptable would it be for a druid to turn into an Owlbear" and "Should a shapeshifter be able to change forms unlimited times" and I'm just thinking gently caress YES

In the open question "what would make you most excited in a new D&D movie?" I replied "The return/resurrection of Snails, oh and maybe Profion too. Jeremy Irons RULED in that role"

Possible red herrings, or possible characters in the new movie based on various questions I got several of:

A druid shapeshifter (see above)
A wild magic sorceror who also can speak to/raise the dead
A cleric not tied to a single god
A berserker raging barbarian, possibly of the Uthgardt Elk tribe.

The one good thing you can say about The Dungeons and Dragons movie was that Irons was having a great time.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Lammasu posted:

How the gently caress do I remember that the director of the first Dungeons and Dragons movie is Courtney Solomon?

What's the deal with Courtney Solomon? I am morbidly curious.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I remember reading somewhere that someone thought they should kill off one of the main characters halfway through, then replace them with a brand new character played by the same actor, and I also want this.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

I remember reading somewhere that someone thought they should kill off one of the main characters halfway through, then replace them with a brand new character played by the same actor, and I also want this.

The other characters accept them into their group with no questions. Simply looking him over once and commenting "You look like a trustworthy fellow, join us!"

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
The fundamental problem with a dnd movie is that dnd is a framework for telling collaborative stories, not a story. In order to reflect this,a movie must show both layers, the player table side and the in game side. Any dnd movie should be about dnd - an action adventure movie in forgotten realms/dark sun/whatever is not a dungeons and dragons movie.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LordThorn posted:

The fundamental problem with a dnd movie is that dnd is a framework for telling collaborative stories, not a story. In order to reflect this,a movie must show both layers, the player table side and the in game side. Any dnd movie should be about dnd - an action adventure movie in forgotten realms/dark sun/whatever is not a dungeons and dragons movie.

They would get a lot more mileage out of a D&D movie by hiring critical role to make a movie about them. Just show what's happening in-game instead of having them describe it. Rather than yet another half baked lord of the rings we get an actual d&d movie about people playing d&d.

It would also be much better advertising for the game.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The Gamers already exists :confused: :v:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Rutibex posted:

They would get a lot more mileage out of a D&D movie by hiring critical role to make a movie about them. Just show what's happening in-game instead of having them describe it. Rather than yet another half baked lord of the rings we get an actual d&d movie about people playing d&d.

It would also be much better advertising for the game.

They already did that with the CR series

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think the best possible D&D film would be to think of it like any other film about an activity, it’s never actually about the activity. Like, imagine a football film (either kind) where the film is set entirely on the pitch during the game and exclusively about kicks and tackles. That would be a loving awful film, wouldn’t it? Football films are usually about relationships or individuals, and how football changed them or they changed football.

So by the same token, if I were making a D&D movie I think I’d be going for something a little bit like the Lego Movie in style, cutting back and forth between scenes set in the game world and ones set in the real world, but it would be primarily about the players, not their characters, and the narrative of the game world would be like, a metaphor for what was going on in the players minds in the real world. Maybe have it be about the challenges of staying in touch with your oldest friends as you grow up, move away, have kids. Have a setup where one player dies, and then they meet his old PC in the game, and at first it’s the DM playing the character, but then after a cut between the game and the table, now it’s the old player’s actor in the game world and it feels bittersweet to “see” them again. Maybe you introduce D&D to the kids, and the last shot of the movie is like the kids of the main character getting round the table or something. Like The Gamers, I guess, but serious.

Buuuuuut, this film isn’t going to be like that (unless they’ve done a loving incredible bait and switch job), so mostly I just hope they don’t feel the need to do a sarcastic quip every four sentences like it’s a marvel film.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Reveilled posted:

I think the best possible D&D film would be to think of it like any other film about an activity, it’s never actually about the activity. Like, imagine a football film (either kind) where the film is set entirely on the pitch during the game and exclusively about kicks and tackles. That would be a loving awful film, wouldn’t it? Football films are usually about relationships or individuals, and how football changed them or they changed football.

So by the same token, if I were making a D&D movie I think I’d be going for something a little bit like the Lego Movie in style, cutting back and forth between scenes set in the game world and ones set in the real world, but it would be primarily about the players, not their characters, and the narrative of the game world would be like, a metaphor for what was going on in the players minds in the real world. Maybe have it be about the challenges of staying in touch with your oldest friends as you grow up, move away, have kids. Have a setup where one player dies, and then they meet his old PC in the game, and at first it’s the DM playing the character, but then after a cut between the game and the table, now it’s the old player’s actor in the game world and it feels bittersweet to “see” them again. Maybe you introduce D&D to the kids, and the last shot of the movie is like the kids of the main character getting round the table or something. Like The Gamers, I guess, but serious.

Buuuuuut, this film isn’t going to be like that (unless they’ve done a loving incredible bait and switch job), so mostly I just hope they don’t feel the need to do a sarcastic quip every four sentences like it’s a marvel film.
:twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzApFuM2s24

Moldless Bread
Jul 10, 2019
Yeah, going by the survey it sounds like a fantasy movie set in the Forgotten Realms - and that could be fun, if done right, but calling it "The DnD Movie" feels annoyingly misleading.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Lammasu posted:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Honestly, when I think of what I'd want out of a D&D movie, I picture something like Labyrinth (or Jumanji, maybe; someone else said that). Character(s) from our world turn(s) to fantasy escapism, facing challenges that mirror their own real-world issues, returning having grown and learned something about themselves. Labyrinth's fairy tale approach is a better fit for the kind of shenanigans D&D inspires as well, and is fertile ground for creatives to get weird and wonderful with their creature and set designs, including monstrous stand-ins for more abstract problems, and villains who can really ham it up.

Relatedly, I bought the Labyrinth RPG recently. Haven't finished flipping through it, but it's pretty sweet.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

My mind immediately went to telling some sort of similar allegory and setup to the lego movie. A little fantasy, but it's just a story told through someone else with the contentions between how people used to play it, brining up gatekeeping and old tired and contentious tropes embodied as the big bad in turmoil of how those who are younger and how they play it and really how in the end they just want to enjoy the original spirit of the game and not want to lock it and freeze it away by way of nostalgia.

Or we can have Jeremey Irons eating the scenery, but literally via magic. I'll probably not end up watching either.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 15, 2022

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"It's not about Leveling up, it's about Growing up"

There's your tagline, Hollywood. I expect my check is in the mail

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Maybe it's just me but anything that features the "sucked into the game" trope is an instant skip from me, as far as I've seen that's been done well exactly once, the original Jumanji and every time before or since it's just been bad. "Normie in another world" like Labyrinth or Narnia or "people imagining themselves in another world" like The Lego Movie is fine, but there's just something about "what if the game was reeeeeeeeaaaaaallll?" that I just hate. If that had been the premise of the D&D film nothing in the world could entice me to see it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Reveilled posted:

Maybe it's just me but anything that features the "sucked into the game" trope is an instant skip from me, as far as I've seen that's been done well exactly once, the original Jumanji and every time before or since it's just been bad. "Normie in another world" like Labyrinth or Narnia or "people imagining themselves in another world" like The Lego Movie is fine, but there's just something about "what if the game was reeeeeeeeaaaaaallll?" that I just hate. If that had been the premise of the D&D film nothing in the world could entice me to see it.

At the same time while I personally hate it I get the appeal and would definitely understand if a D&D movie where this happens.

But to me a more natural thing would be to break it up like The Princess Bride or Lego movie and just have it cut to the folks playing the game to argue over a rule or whatever now and then or even show some brief bits into their individual lives so you get the best of both planes ( :haw: ).

With a good script think of how much personality you can get out of both the players and their characters with how each player describes their stuff and how they joke or argue with each of their actions add to the characters' adventure. It'd be cool to have something that plays off of that throughout the movie to strengthen both stories.

Moldless Bread posted:

Yeah, going by the survey it sounds like a fantasy movie set in the Forgotten Realms - and that could be fun, if done right, but calling it "The DnD Movie" feels annoyingly misleading.

Even with all the cosmic and now multiverse stuff Marvel has been doing since Thor 1 WOTC will never be brave enough to allow a $$$ budget Spelljammer flick with like a Eloy or Hawkwind soundtrack or something set in Sigil or whatever. I feel biased with this but D&D was never like straight high fantasy in a single ye olden tymes kingdom to me and it would be cool to see the breadth of stuff D&D has on the big screen. If they don't either do something like that or have it involve people actually playing instead of getting sucked into it then you're right it wouldn't really be a "D&D" movie to me either.

At least no matter what they do it will still be better than the animated Dragonlance flick or, poo poo, Wrath of the Dragon God and The Book of Vile Darkness. I always forget the live action D&D movie had two follow up flicks until D&D movie talk happens.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They could always remake Dragon Strike.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I know that there's a raging liveplay podcast scene and I know that (eg) sports movies are popular but I can't imagine that most people would want to watch a movie that's fundamentally about people playing a tabletop game. I sure as hell don't.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[in the Marvel world, Thanos gets his hands on the last Infinity Stone. cut back the the real world.]

the protagonist, a 12-year old boy: [turns page of comic book.] oh poo poo! Thanos got his hands on the last Infinity Stone!

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Reveilled posted:

I'd quite enjoy a reversal of this trope, where the characters accidentally escape the game, or at least a character (maybe a cleric or warlock) is somehow manifesting in our world and actually interacting with their player (kind of like how Emmet fell out of the Lego world and met Finn), where the character has to help the player deal with something crazy happening in their real life, or maybe even gets a chance to "play" the player for some climactic moment.

Or maybe a movie where clearly there's a game going on, but the lines between what is really happening, and what's simply going on in the game are extremely blurred, like that 1984 movie Cloak and Dagger that nobody ever talks about, but was awesome.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

St0rmD posted:

I'd quite enjoy a reversal of this trope, where the characters accidentally escape the game, or at least a character (maybe a cleric or warlock) is somehow manifesting in our world and actually interacting with their player (kind of like how Emmet fell out of the Lego world and met Finn), where the character has to help the player deal with something crazy happening in their real life, or maybe even gets a chance to "play" the player for some climactic moment.

This describes over 70% of fantasy movies from the 80s and 90s, where some magic barbarian weirdos hang around the "real world"

Hercules in New York, Beastmaster 2, Masters of the Universe, Suburban Commando sorta, it was in vogue to save money on cheap fantasy movies by not bothering to have lots of sets or location shooting and just film the hero hanging around the producer's house marvelling at tvs and poo poo.

It would actually be kind of a nostalgia genre throwback to have "DnD characters travel to the real world, interact with their players, and get up to hijinks like breaking into a mall after hours like it's a dungeon"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

[in the Marvel world, Thanos gets his hands on the last Infinity Stone. cut back the the real world.]

the protagonist, a 12-year old boy: [turns page of comic book.] oh poo poo! Thanos got his hands on the last Infinity Stone!

The Never-ending Story was awesome. Make that the D&D movie template

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Asterite34 posted:

It would actually be kind of a nostalgia genre throwback to have "DnD characters travel to the real world, interact with their players, and get up to hijinks like breaking into a mall after hours like it's a dungeon"

That's just Bill and Ted. Which is perfect.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god, D&D characters travel to the real world is perfect. It would be like the HeMan movie

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

LordThorn posted:

What's especially ironic is that I feel like the time when a Forgotten Realms movie would have been really successful was back when the original D&D movie was released as that was when the tie-in novels and video games were at the height of popularity. Nowadays I feel like the majority of the D&D fandom isn't really as attached to Forgotten Realms as WOTC seems to think? Obviously there's still a fandom for the setting who are as dedicated as they've always been, but anecdotally it seems like most of the player base is more invested in D&D as a game or creative tool than they are with the lore of the current default setting. And that's kind of weird because Hasbro seems to really want to push FR as a brand identity that people are going to be excited about on its own.

I could understand that strategy if this were still the early '00s when the Driz'zt novels were still topping the bestseller charts and the Bioware RPGs were at the front of everyone's minds, but in the 2020s it feels like the people who would get really excited for appearances by the Red Wizards of Thay or going to Revel's End are vastly outnumbered by fans who came in via Critical Role and aren't really clear on what a Driz'zt is...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KingKalamari posted:

And that's kind of weird because Hasbro seems to really want to push FR as a brand identity that people are going to be excited about on its own.

They kind of have to, otherwise what do they have? Wizards of the coast doesn't own the concept of role-playing, and they aren't even the only version of D&D in town. There are dozens of games out there nearly identical to D&D just waiting to eat their lunch. They have to lean hard into brand identity

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

St0rmD posted:

Or maybe a movie where clearly there's a game going on, but the lines between what is really happening, and what's simply going on in the game are extremely blurred, like that 1984 movie Cloak and Dagger that nobody ever talks about, but was awesome.

I think about this movie constantly, even though I haven't seen it in decades.

Rutibex posted:

The Never-ending Story was awesome. Make that the D&D movie template

it was so good, but I don't think it would be as magical to see a group of people doing the same thing.

plus the sequels sucked, iirc.

I just realized that the movie you guys want to see is Stranger Things. it has everything: live play, actual stakes, powers, dimensions, Demogorgon

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

KingKalamari posted:

I still don't understand why they haven't just done the Jumanji angle and made a movie where some regular kids/young adults get sucked into D&D world and become adventurers. Y'know, like in the D&D cartoon only without the mode of transport being a theme park ride...Seriously, why was the inciting incident for that cartoon some kids going on a theme park ride? That's just terrible brand synergy in general. Couldn't they have, like, found an enchanted players handbook in an attic somewhere, or stolen an accursed D20 from a mysterious shop? Something that actually tied into the actual roleplaying game the show was supposed to be based on/marketing?
My favorite part of the 2000 d&d movies is how nothing in that movie feel like d&d at all. The monster doesn't feel d&d like (i mean the beholder is there but distracted by a thrown rock, wtf). Bruce Pain as a sorcerer/wizard/??? with blue lips punching an always unarmed rogue to death, sooooooo d&d. The wizard girl barely ever casting a d&d spell and not being brainy.
I get the feeling they went the "oh what the fans want the official faerun settings and the characters from that setting" and i wonder if they understand that The legend of vox machina doesn't use their license and still fell 300% more like a d&d adventure.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bad Seafood posted:

They could always remake Dragon Strike.

QUEST WITH ME!

We showed this video to some friends a few days ago I forgot how amazing it is. The best part will always be when they're walking across that "narrow" beam and Malibu just breaks character and starts laughing/walking off to the side normally just before it cuts to the next scene :3:

Asterite34 posted:

This describes over 70% of fantasy movies from the 80s and 90s, where some magic barbarian weirdos hang around the "real world"

Hercules in New York, Beastmaster 2, Masters of the Universe, Suburban Commando sorta, it was in vogue to save money on cheap fantasy movies by not bothering to have lots of sets or location shooting and just film the hero hanging around the producer's house marvelling at tvs and poo poo.

Rutibex posted:

Oh god, D&D characters travel to the real world is perfect. It would be like the HeMan movie

Yeah new conclusions after seeing these posts, whoever's producing the D&D movie please just give Keita Amemiya or Steven Kostanski a Monster Manual and $250 million.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Just make a good movie lol.

Like people worrying too much about the mechanics or "systems" of how to execute it when anything can be executed well and work.

Just find a vision and execute it well.

A D&D Isekai movie could work, a gritty fantasy movie could work etc etc.

I have doubts about them executing it well, but like the Critical Role cartoon was *mostly* well executed character story and that's a decent template for the DND movie to follow only about Waterdeep or Neverwinter or whatever.

I don't give a poo poo about the lore in the FG just make a good and engaging story and maybe cast a fireball or magic missile or something.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dexo posted:

also

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Dexo posted:

“Draw the rest of the owlbear”

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Fishbus posted:

“Draw the rest of the owlbear”

"what the gently caress is an owlbear?"

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just realized that the movie you guys want to see is Stranger Things. it has everything: live play, actual stakes, powers, dimensions, Demogorgon

gently caress Stranger Things, for making an entire generation of nerds think that Demogorgon is a thing with only one head.

Toplowtech posted:

Bruce Pain as a sorcerer/wizard/??? with blue lips punching
Bruce Payne was obviously a fighter in that movie, and all of the marketing and press around that movie at the time was also pretty clear about that.

I think one of the problems with D&D as an IP vehicle for making movies is that other than Drizzt/pals, and maybe the Heroes of the Lance, there aren't really any well-known heroes to write a story around. On the other hand, there's plenty of recognizable and iconic villains to call up, so they really need to latch onto that and lean on it hard. None of the previous D&D movies were connected in any way to recognizeable adventures or novels from the game's history, and I think that was a mistake. Looks like maybe we'll get Szass Tam this time, which is kind of cool, but if we're going to have a straight "adventure movie in the Forgotten Realms" I'd really love to see the tale of some unknown adventurers caught up in circumstances and forced to oppose Tiamat or Lolth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Empty Sandwich posted:

Yeah, I mean, it was a hit for a reason. For lots of reasons.