Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

Asking you to use an app instead of just using a regular web browser is essentially the company saying "our web site is dogshit and we know it and no we won't fix it".

Half the time the website is perfectly fine, maybe even better than the app! But the app lets them mine more data to sell and gives them more metrics to track so that they can look for numbers going up.

Semi-related: I hate it when websites have a huge SIGN UP NOW button and a little tiny existing user log in off in the corner somewhere. Yes, I already knew that all you cared about is signing up new users and not providing services to existing ones, but you didn't have to rub it in like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Brawnfire posted:

No, they are. Smooth as hell.
In both directions!

the holy poopacy posted:

Semi-related: I hate it when websites have a huge SIGN UP NOW button and a little tiny existing user log in off in the corner somewhere. Yes, I already knew that all you cared about is signing up new users and not providing services to existing ones, but you didn't have to rub it in like that.
Also, sites that have a "Log In" button that goes to the sign up page first

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

InediblePenguin posted:

twenty minutes after we closed for the day i found some customers still leisurely browsing the grocery store and asked them "Can I help you find anything?"

"no," they said. "what time do you close?"

"8:00," i answered. "It's currently 8:20."

we're not allowed to ask people to leave or urge them to bring their final purchases up or anything, so that was the entire interaction, after which they continued to shop all alone while we cleaned up around them until almost 8:45. i can't even imagine doing something like that – i feel a little guilty being in a store ten minutes before they close, and these folks felt absolutely fine about taking their time, wandering around, touching everything (we had to re-face all the shelves after they passed)... they didn't even pretend to apologize or anything... imagine living with such serene self-centered confidence...

Big memories of the restaurant industry here. Jackasses sitting around two hours after closing and the manager won't tell them to loving leave.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InediblePenguin posted:

we're not allowed to ask people to leave or urge them to bring their final purchases up or anything

:wtf:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've never felt so unwelcome in a store! People hovering around, replacing things I'd hosed up, running mops, what kind of atmosphere are they going for?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I wish the people who I have to talk to during the course of a business day would either start flossing or else continue to wear a mask.

FLOSS YOUR loving TEETH. I can SEE your GUM POCKETS. They are like FRENCH CHEESE CAVES.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I wish the people who I have to talk to during the course of a business day would either start flossing or else continue to wear a mask.

FLOSS YOUR loving TEETH. I can SEE your GUM POCKETS. They are like FRENCH CHEESE CAVES.

As both a poo poo teeth-haver and a lover of french cheese I'm hurt :(

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

For a while there were a bunch of memes about dentists making you bleed and telling you to floss and??
you would not be able to relate to these memes if you'd loving floss your teeth, a basic part of hygiene, you absolute grognards??
next they'll be posting about not wiping their rear end

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Working in food and service I don’t like to go to places sooner than a half hour before they close.

But there are some people who would pound on a door and when told that registers are closed and money is being counted that they need to shop, and everyone should reopen so they can get 10 dollars worth of non emergency items

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
WTF. Stores here will absolutely tell you to leave, and when I've accidentally wandered into a restaurant 20 minutes before closing they politely said "Sorry, we're closing in 20 minutes." And this is in an at-will employment hellscape state.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Killingyouguy! posted:

For a while there were a bunch of memes about dentists making you bleed and telling you to floss and??
you would not be able to relate to these memes if you'd loving floss your teeth, a basic part of hygiene, you absolute grognards??
next they'll be posting about not wiping their rear end

I'm not going to bow to this propaganda from Big Tooth.

I haven't even rinsed my mouth since the Bush Years.

Gingivitis is a blessing from God.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When I worked in customer service we opened at 7:30 and employees got there at 7 and probably 20% of the time people were already there and you had to walk past them to open the door and they’d start asking if you could open up early because they really needed to get going.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Memories of the early morning Trader Joes hordes.

Back up off the doors, bitches, I'm still scraping yesterday's stickers off the goddamn floor. You ain't need speculoos butter that bad.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

WTF. Stores here will absolutely tell you to leave, and when I've accidentally wandered into a restaurant 20 minutes before closing they politely said "Sorry, we're closing in 20 minutes." And this is in an at-will employment hellscape state.

In my experience it's mostly a corporate vs. non-corporate thing. The big chain stores/restaurants are mostly afraid to put their foot down because no one there has real authority and they're afraid of getting punished by higher ups. Local businesses are more likely to have the owner or someone tightly connected to them that can tell customers to gently caress off without fear.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Just own your own grocery store so you can set a "gently caress off, we're closed" policy yourself

bing bong

Yeah, it's corporate poo poo. Same as lovely restaurant customers getting comped by managers for obvious lies

Once had a customer send back a plate for having a hair on it -- that customer was the only person in the entire building with curly hair like the hair on the plate lmao

stringless has a new favorite as of 18:17 on May 15, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

the holy poopacy posted:

In my experience it's mostly a corporate vs. non-corporate thing. The big chain stores/restaurants are mostly afraid to put their foot down because no one there has real authority and they're afraid of getting punished by higher ups. Local businesses are more likely to have the owner or someone tightly connected to them that can tell customers to gently caress off without fear.

Probably depends also on the chain. I used to work for a wholesale warehouse (think Costco but not actually Costco). 15-20 mins before close, the closing manager would get on the loud speaker telling customers "We close in x minutes. Please bring your final purchases to the front to check out."

We still got people who completely ignored the warnings and hung around for 10 mins after close, but we at least told them we were closing/closed. I don't know what kind of authority we had to eject people from the store if they refused to leave. Didn't happen in the time I worked there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

GET THE gently caress OUTTA MY BJ'S

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
yeah, we are a new location and corporate higher-ups have been up our collective assholes lately, so we dare not risk making a customer feel unwanted and unloved by implying we might want them to go home after we close at the moment lol

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

GET THE gently caress OUTTA MY BJ'S

Hey I didn't say it was BJ's but yeah, it was BJ's. :v:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'm starting a new job this week which entails going to a non-local office once per week. I asked my new boss what sort of time I should arrive and leave (ie is it 9-5 or is there some leeway for travel time) and he's come back with 'we're totally flexible, so long as the work gets done!'

Like, I'm sure that's true, maybe, but on the other hand that's also kinda useless to me, as there's obviously gonna be expectations and etiquette that apply, and I gotta plan around that. You've already told me it's always gonna be Wednesdays in that office and have now told me that this week it's Tuesday, and I have to make sure that my wife and two kids are able to do what they need to do with the one car we have.

So, a pretty specific peeve... People being 'flexible' when actually just being precise would be much easier.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I know I've bitched about this before but right now it's pissing me off again.

People, if you live in a place with communal laundry machines, for the love of all that's holy remove your poo poo promptly when the cycle is done. Other people need to use these loving machines and it's infuriating looking at your poo poo clogging up the washer for 10+ minutes after it's finished, waiting for your scatterbrained rear end to move it along. Set a timer if you have to! I don't care. Just somehow remove it promptly. It shouldn't be this loving hard!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

I know I've bitched about this before but right now it's pissing me off again.

People, if you live in a place with communal laundry machines, for the love of all that's holy remove your poo poo promptly when the cycle is done. Other people need to use these loving machines and it's infuriating looking at your poo poo clogging up the washer for 10+ minutes after it's finished, waiting for your scatterbrained rear end to move it along. Set a timer if you have to! I don't care. Just somehow remove it promptly. It shouldn't be this loving hard!

Laundry machines should automatically incinerate laundry after 5 minutes of inactivity imo

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Fuckers have had their clothes in there for an hour now and I'm not going to be able to do laundry today!

Small bit of schadenfreude on their part: their clothes are going to be siting in the washing machine all night and they'll be mildewy come morning!

A small consolation on my part. Inconsiderate fucknuggets.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Geeze, I remember that from my first apartment. Some neighbor practically used the machines as closets. I swear I thought sometimes he'd come get something out of a dryer and just leave the rest in there.

Eventually my roommate and I started bringing a trash bag down there when it was laundry time, and if the laundry in a machine when we got there was unattended for ten minutes, we'd bag it up and stack it outside the laundry room door. Eventually the landlord put a sign telling people not to do that on the wall in there, but we kept doing it til we moved out anyway.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm starting a new job this week which entails going to a non-local office once per week. I asked my new boss what sort of time I should arrive and leave (ie is it 9-5 or is there some leeway for travel time) and he's come back with 'we're totally flexible, so long as the work gets done!'

Like, I'm sure that's true, maybe, but on the other hand that's also kinda useless to me, as there's obviously gonna be expectations and etiquette that apply, and I gotta plan around that. You've already told me it's always gonna be Wednesdays in that office and have now told me that this week it's Tuesday, and I have to make sure that my wife and two kids are able to do what they need to do with the one car we have.

So, a pretty specific peeve... People being 'flexible' when actually just being precise would be much easier.

Relatedly, people using "Flexible" to mean "we cannot/will not plan ahead properly".

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Laundry here gets thrown onto the ground if the owner is not there within 5 seconds of it finishing, and that's just fine with me.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

of the two dryers for my little apartment complex, even the better dryer still sucks unless the door to the laundry room is open so there's some air movement through the room's window

and yet the assholes close the door even when I put things in place to make it clear that the door should not be closed while a dryer is operating

"someone might show up and steal our underwear"

loving get your clothing out, then

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One of my favourite shirts is yoinked out of an apartment dryer and I'm not sorry

Thanks for the shirt, mysterious lazy stranger

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I've had communal laundry rooms throughout college and in the apartments since then. By far the biggest issue I had was when I lived in an apartment building that was just two apartments. The family of three in the other apartment did a mind-boggling amount of laundry and were pretty bad about moving it in a timely manner. The worst was throwing a load in the washer on Friday and then leaving for a holiday weekend.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Every fuckin goddam commercial at work breakroom TVs has people dancing. I'm usually wearing big headphones and sometimes a helmet or thick hat too. So no knowledge of what the ad is for. Drugs for seniors? Tourism in Idaho? A new season of HLN's hit series Sex and Murder? gently caress if I know. I can't hear your nonsense, cable. It's all just people dancing. And the dances are lame! Stop that! How do people pay like sixty dollars a month for cable TV?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Gotta keep the dancers employed somehow

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Have I bitched about this already? Because it happened again today. People who have the right of way: just loving drive. You're not doing anyone any loving favors by holding up traffic so you can like, let me through or whatever. Legally, it's your loving turn, and I drive with the expectation that you're going to take your turn; if you with all your good intentions decide not to take your turn but instead give me a jump in the queue, I don't loving know that -- for all I know you could just be looking at your phone and the second I drive out into the intersection you'll drive right into my rear end and it would still be my fault since you have the right of way. Or maybe the sun is glaring off your windshield and I can't see your friendly gesture saying I can go. Just loving go. Just go go go goddammit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That really gets me when I'm a pedestrian. I'm not walking until you're definitely stopped. By slowing down in a quiet residential street you've just wasted both of our time.

New York has the right idea. Just YOLO into the street in packs, eyyyyyyy I'm walkin heah, slap the hood. That I can get behind.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That really gets me when I'm a pedestrian. I'm not walking until you're definitely stopped. By slowing down in a quiet residential street you've just wasted both of our time.

New York has the right idea. Just YOLO into the street in packs, eyyyyyyy I'm walkin heah, slap the hood. That I can get behind.

People are even worse for this if you're pushing a pram or a buggy or whatever. There's a kinda risky junction near my house which isn't that busy, but has quite low visibility so you're never entirely sure when a car is gonna whiz round a bend and take you out. I've learnt to just completely avoid eye contact with any drivers when I'm walking around there, cos there's a risk someone's gonna try to let me through, when I'd rather just wait til there's no cars so I can cross securely. Sometimes I avoid eye contact and they STILL TRY TO DO IT, so I just look up after a few seconds and they're still there awkwardly waving at me.

If they'd just driven past I could have crossed by now anyway!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There's a bike path I ride along regularly, that crosses a particular road that gets extremely intermittent traffic. There'll be a line of a dozen cars followed by absolutely no traffic for several minutes. If there are cars coming when I approach that road, I have to stop a good couple of metres back or, guaranteed, some idiot will hold up that entire line of cars by stopping for me. It would have taken about five seconds for them all to go past, but now everyone's being held up - including me, because I'm not going until they do. Sometimes stopping that far back isn't even enough. They'll still try to stop and wave me through. It is baffling to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate referring to the country you were born from as a "we." I didn't invade Iraq. I didn't storm the Bastille. My wife didn't invade Ukraine. My wife didn't defeat the nazis. We're a we because we chose that. You don't choose your birth. Stop being nationalists and stop self-flagellating.

It's important to know history. It's important to correct ongoing injustice. It's stupid to go "woah is me, someone geographically near here did a bad thing, we are the worst." US americans think they're the worst. Russians think they're the worst. French people think they're the worst. Germans think no, it's us, we're worst. Just shut up, you didn't do the thing, be decent yourself.

Doubly grating when the people saying this poo poo act like they're the very enlightened knowers of reality, unlike all their idiot neighbours.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

credburn posted:

Have I bitched about this already? Because it happened again today. People who have the right of way: just loving drive. You're not doing anyone any loving favors by holding up traffic so you can like, let me through or whatever. Legally, it's your loving turn, and I drive with the expectation that you're going to take your turn; if you with all your good intentions decide not to take your turn but instead give me a jump in the queue, I don't loving know that -- for all I know you could just be looking at your phone and the second I drive out into the intersection you'll drive right into my rear end and it would still be my fault since you have the right of way. Or maybe the sun is glaring off your windshield and I can't see your friendly gesture saying I can go. Just loving go. Just go go go goddammit.

Oh god this so much. The number of people who don't seem to know how an all-way Stop works is just baffling. Go when it's your turn! This is not hard!

I tend to operate on the assumption that everyone around me is going to be an rear end in a top hat. Most of the time it works pretty well because I live in the northeast and people drive pretty aggressively. Occasionally though I'll get someone who doesn't do that and it just throws off my groove. Just loving go man I can work around you!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I think I just found a new peeve. :P

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Woah is me

Bam ba lam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The best is when they stop and start waving at you to cross even though they're in one of two or more lanes of traffic. All "Please pedestrian, please accept my charitable gift of you getting flattened by a speeding car to my immediate right that is not beholden to our little exchange!"