Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Salt Fish posted:

Sometimes I turn on all 4 burners on my stove even though I only need 2.

how wasteful

if the stove is electric this could have been used for crypto mining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's actually really funny every time some goon forgets that some people have kids.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol must suck to be canadian

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

It's actually really funny every time some goon forgets that some people have kids.

This and also hobbies that aren’t computer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

30.5 Days posted:

daycare was $2k/month for our first child at a middle of the road converted house place and we were able to delay starting until 6 months old (newborns are ofc even more expensive)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the wayward province of vancouver "british" columbia has always been a part of china

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"lower" and "upper" middle class are fake ideas fyi

:hmmyes:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Salt Fish posted:

There are 400 people in the US who are worth more than $2.9bn. If these people make 5% of their net worth each year that would be 125 million in passive income. This means that the person making 20k is earning 0.00016x their salary and the person making 150k is making 0.0012x their salary.

Those fuckers making 150k. They are the real problem! Not me, I am morally pure because society has deemed to pay me 20k/yr and I don't hate my employer, I say "thank you for your service."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i say swears online posted:

i'm not saying every high earner is elon musk wealthy, i'm saying it's easy to avoid lifestyle creep and not doordash every meal. wsj regularly publishes "i make 500k and i barely get by" budget breakdown articles and they're essentially just trolling for engagement

Those are click-bait aritcles taht have nothing to do with real people or real economic circumstances.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WaryWarren posted:

I make half of 150k and live in the "sketchy" part of my city, because 1) I'm not sheltered 2) it's safe just a little old and worn down 3) not racist unlike the spoiled whites that work at Mayo 4) I grew up alternately between middle class and in public housing. So, I'm used to different people and living with not much.

You are so virtuous and I'm glad you made sure to tell us you weren't racist.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

billionaires like elon musk might as well be aliens for a pleb

it's unsurprising that a college grad making 60 grand at some dead-end office job might feel more resentment towards computer touchers making 400 grand because they're likely to actually share the same social circle if they went to college together or have similar hobbies

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mark immune posted:

if your place is larger than this or if you have more furniture than this, u might be a 1%er

Wat the gently caress? TWO LAPTOPS? Geez, straight to the guillotine with you. I bet you are a gentrifying rear end in a top hat, even having a camera to take a picture of your palatial living arrangement.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You are so virtuous and I'm glad you made sure to tell us you weren't racist.

better than being a racist in the chicago thread, cock.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WaryWarren posted:

better than being a racist in the chicago thread, cock.

Calling out racist assumptions wrt housing and gentrification isn't being racist, sweetie :angel:

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

There’s nothing wrong with making $150k, but for many ppl it’s roughly the income level where you start being able to convert surplus cash into passive income. I actually have less of a problem with the $150k guy who’s goin nuts and spending all their money and having fun vs the guy trying to leverage it into landlording or real estate speculation.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol I live in the hottest real estate market in the country and survive on 20k/year, let's not pretend that 2.5x the median family income is financially limiting unless you really, really try

nobody making 150k is skimping on 401k contributions in order to make rent

How many people do you live with? Most rental markets in major cities are 1br at $1500 bare minimum, which is $18,000 a year. That's not going to work on $20k

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
For some good housing news, Minneapolis actually had rents drop in the city. It looks like the Minneapolis 2040 plan is actually working. They removed single family home zoning and parking minimums. It's a bold move.

Any other cities or towns trying to make things livable?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TheSlutPit posted:

There’s nothing wrong with making $150k, but for many ppl it’s roughly the income level where you start being able to convert surplus cash into passive income. I actually have less of a problem with the $150k guy who’s goin nuts and spending all their money and having fun vs the guy trying to leverage it into landlording or real estate speculation.

This is a good take. Passive income is an insidious ideal that is pushed at all income levels without any analysis or reflection on how a society could exist with everyone being a landlord.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TheSlutPit posted:

that's not hustle mindset

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

How many people do you live with? Most rental markets in major cities are 1br at $1500 bare minimum, which is $18,000 a year. That's not going to work on $20k

i rent a single room, yeah

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Do you think all parents make 150k? Lmao at all the people pretending that this salary doesn't means you are pretty well off even if it does not make them bourgeois.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

TheSlutPit posted:

both are dumber than the guy who just hoards it hall in the paranoid fear of a medical emergency

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Junkozeyne posted:

Do you think all parents make 150k? Lmao at all the people pretending that this salary doesn't means you are pretty well off even if it does not make them bourgeois.

If you're a family earning over 100k, you are well off. That puts you in the top 15% of family incomes for millennials. I went from broke (<16k) to IT money (>100k), and it is a world of a difference. Complaints that it doesn't go far really remind me more of rich people talking about spending huge amounts of money and complaining about barely having anything left over to feed their family.

But housing costs are definitely bullshit though. More cities need to follow Minneapolis and outlaw single family zoning and minimum parking requirements. AirBnBs and owning multiple single family homes as rental properties should be illegal too. I doubt owning rental properties will go away, but some cities have pushed back against AirBnB. There are still a ton of illegal AirBnBs in those cities, but it does cut down on it significantly.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Junkozeyne posted:

it’s amazing how defensive computer touchers get when you say “someone whose family makes 150k bemoaning their situation as comparable to a family who lives in the same city making 60k is laughable”

e: and to be tediously clear 150k-makers are my class allies and are being wrongfully exploited by their capitalist employers, but they should know when to stop qqing about bullshit

indigi has issued a correction as of 17:59 on May 15, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
People keep posting, and I quote, "the integer 150 is the same as the integer 20. These are the same number". I just disagree with that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

If you're a family earning over 100k, you are well off. That puts you in the top 15% of family incomes for millennials. I went from broke (<16k) to IT money (>100k), and it is a world of a difference. Complaints that it doesn't go far really remind me more of rich people talking about spending huge amounts of money and complaining about barely having anything left over to feed their family.

But housing costs are definitely bullshit though. More cities need to follow Minneapolis and outlaw single family zoning and minimum parking requirements. AirBnBs and owning multiple single family homes as rental properties should be illegal too. I doubt owning rental properties will go away, but some cities have pushed back against AirBnB. There are still a ton of illegal AirBnBs in those cities, but it does cut down on it significantly.

I'm in Minneapolis, and yeah I think it helped a bit, but new developments still tend to be incredibly expensive

there is a big development underway in south st. paul, bordering the mississippi river. pretty desirable area - almost all of the more expensive housing is south of 94. there had a few apartments in the rental building for lower income, but for the most part it's a few homes that are all 1m+, townhomes start at 680K, and condos start at 600K

https://www.stpaul.gov/departments/planning-and-economic-development/planning/ford-sitehighland-bridge/ford-site-zoning-4 - has some details, notice the percent for low income and the timeline (lol)

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 18:24 on May 15, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

lol I live in the hottest real estate market in the country and survive on 20k/year

"Hottest real estate market" does not mean "high cost of living"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

"Hottest real estate market" does not mean "high cost of living"

isn't kalispell a tourist town and the most expensive place in the state?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

yes

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

The most expensive place in MT is an oxymoron.

I live in the most expensive trailer park!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

The most expensive place in MT is an oxymoron.

I live in the most expensive trailer park!
:ok:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
computer touchers love talking about trailer parks, for some reason

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

indigi posted:

computer touchers love talking about trailer parks, for some reason

Who's a computer toucher?

What is your point? Let me repeat myself for those who have reading comprehension difficulties. Housing prices are not the same as cost of living.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Who's a computer toucher?

What is your point? Let me repeat myself for those who have reading comprehension difficulties. Housing prices are not the same as cost of living.

?????

????

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Do not suffer fools

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

euphronius posted:

?????

????

this totally class-agnostic measure of “cost of living” says it’s cheap(er than average, slightly) to live there so it must be true

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'll bet marx didn't even own a computer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you bouhht your house in 1976 and have 8,000 a month of passive income I’m sure it’s fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's the best dollar-menu item still left? per-calorie it's probably jack in the box's two tacos