Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
HW isn't as good as I remember it. The parts where they're desperately trying to reverse course from late 2.x patches are such a disappointment. It definitely would have played better with people on release who might have forgotten the specifics like Ysayle shouting "fly, my pretties, take your revenge!". Now she's sorry and tearful and it wasn't supposed to be like that, honest. Or course we'll let her go, she only murdered a few dozen caravaneers with her own hands/magics.

The landscape trash are all angry sponges as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

RME posted:

Does /target "Spiny Plume" work?
Are you tanking and trying to get it to tether to you instead of a dps?

/target is apparently only able to target players as i found out while trying to do this. but as suggested, simple tweaks has an option to make it also target npcs so i got that going today and it seems to work. and yeah exactly, just trying to get it on me as soon as possible to avoid aoe mishaps. last night i was trying to get it by waiting for the enemy list to populate and then provoking it but that takes a second and was causing some issues.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Basically this. It's always people who don't want to put effort in or try to improve but are terrified of other people seeing this even tho if they only ever do ADR and Normal raids no one will ever care.

The irony is of course that if you're doing things horrifically fundamentally wrong, people are infact making fun of you in their discords and stuff cuz 90% of your rotation is piercing talon or w/e. Nothing would change since making fun of you in game would still be reportable.

Just assuming everyone not playing to perfection is lazy is exactly why they will never add or allow meters. Its just another tool for toxic players to exclude and berate others.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sassassin posted:

HW isn't as good as I remember it. .

In other words the game is even better than previously imagined.

Since, you know, they've established that by the time the .X patches come out they have the story of the expansion planned so there wasn't any "backsliding" you just can't read.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, as hard-hitting as the Bloody Banquet was, they were already planning (and probably even actively finishing) the scenes reversing it well before it even released.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"I wonder why this rebel leader is being welcomed back into the fold in a story about breaking the cycle of vengeance. Must just be bad writing."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dr Pepper posted:

In other words the game is even better than previously imagined.

Since, you know, they've established that by the time the .X patches come out they have the story of the expansion planned so there wasn't any "backsliding" you just can't read.

If they intended it this way all along that's just bad writing. Hastily resolving/reversing decisions because they changed their minds is giving them the benefit of the doubt.

They are awfully fond of the character death fakeout poo poo later on though, so maybe you're right and it was all planned in advance to be so disappointing.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Awesome! posted:

/target is apparently only able to target players as i found out while trying to do this. but as suggested, simple tweaks has an option to make it also target npcs so i got that going today and it seems to work. and yeah exactly, just trying to get it on me as soon as possible to avoid aoe mishaps. last night i was trying to get it by waiting for the enemy list to populate and then provoking it but that takes a second and was causing some issues.

This doesn’t seem like a simple tweak at all

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hey, so one question to people in the know, is there a plugin that tells you your duty when roulette pops? Cause I've realized Alliance Roulette tends to have people withdrawing more often than usual and it's the roulette known for people only wanting the Crystal Tower raids.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People drop out of ADR more frequently because you need 24 people for it and at least one of them generally goes AFK or changes their mind. That's all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Just assuming everyone not playing to perfection is lazy is exactly why they will never add or allow meters. Its just another tool for toxic players to exclude and berate others.

Who said anything about perfection? Being toxic is still against the rules so the only difference would be someone who's bad would see that they are bad and maybe have to confront that fact in some fashion. No one will be able to force someone to get better and literally no one will be kicked from satasha for not doing gold parse level 15 dps or anything.

The benefits of console players being able to track their dps without the aide of someone on pc would be a good thing, as well as possibly having some players see that they're doing something wrong with their rotation and possibly seek to fix it, where they'd not know otherwise since they don't use mods.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Hey, so one question to people in the know, is there a plugin that tells you your duty when roulette pops? Cause I've realized Alliance Roulette tends to have people withdrawing more often than usual and it's the roulette known for people only wanting the Crystal Tower raids.

There was one, I believe it broke in ShB

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Countblanc posted:

There was one, I believe it broke in ShB

Oh, okay, yeah, thanks. I guess I was just paranoid now.

Arist posted:

People drop out of ADR more frequently because you need 24 people for it and at least one of them generally goes AFK or changes their mind. That's all.

True, it's just that sometimes someone withdraws for like, 3-5 times in a row and very quick so I got suspicious. And also I'm frustrated because I got Mhach/Dun Scaith for my book but I also want the roulette EXP but of course it's always Crystal Tower. And putting a higher iLvl lock won't fix that because people will just refuse to unlock the other raids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like if someone can get to Savage tier 4 you can at bare minimum assuming they can do enough DPS and the problem is likely more dying to loving mechanics instead of being an ice mage and no amount of DPS tracker is going to fix that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

This used to be a thing, but they removed the information from the message your client gets, so there's no way for addons to display it anymore.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Not sure it's that clear cut. Someone with lower than target dps can get to tier 4 if the rest of the dps is better than average. Then you get 4 dps, or all 8 why not, that are below target. Even staying alive that group might not be able to hit the clear time.

Still don't think we need a sanctioned or in game meter.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like if someone can get to Savage tier 4 you can at bare minimum assuming they can do enough DPS and the problem is likely more dying to loving mechanics instead of being an ice mage and no amount of DPS tracker is going to fix that.

Honestly not that simple, the first three fights have very lenient checks in general so it would definitely be possible to get carried and then suddenly hit a wall at the door boss. It’s a bit weirder when you consider how deep in the tier we are because higher gear levels have made the carrying part even easier but that would also be true for the door boss too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it would be nice to have an opt-in damage meter that only showed you your own performance and only even ran in high-end duties. Ideally with something similar to fflogs percentiles so you can tell whether you did good or bad instead of just getting a raw number

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly I'm just not sure how people can say this games moderation is so amazing and then turn around and say that this would ruin the game and turn everyone into an evil wow player who kicks small children from leveling roulette or whatever.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

it would be nice to have an opt-in damage meter that only showed you your own performance and only even ran in high-end duties. Ideally with something similar to fflogs percentiles so you can tell whether you did good or bad instead of just getting a raw number

If it only shows for you, why? I'd like to get my readings in low-end stuff so that instead of inflicting my incompetence on 7 to 23 other people, I have an idea of what I'm doing going in AND get to practice my rotations with lightweight mechanics firing off.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly I'm just not sure how people can say this games moderation is so amazing and then turn around and say that this would ruin the game and turn everyone into an evil wow player who kicks small children from leveling roulette or whatever.

I'm not sure why I couldn't right-click-report the person in my alliance raid who was throwing a tantrum about being asked to throw out a res as a Red Mage, and managed to troll everyone into arguing about whether you deserve to be resed if you die to a mechanic, but lol.

The community generally feels more welcoming, but I think that's more a function of there not being a General/Trade chat for people in Limsa to talk about how Hitler was Actually Right to everyone in the zone than it is for any active form of moderation. People will absolutely be toxic shitheads of given the motive, means, and opportunity.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

poo poo if you follow the right people on Twitter there's constant toxic poo poo every day.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

E: wrong thread, I'm a moron

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Those people already exist but have to stay silent because the stuff is out of game. Making it in game gives them more justification to bully people. I've seen a fair number of those types in party finder stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Those people already exist but have to stay silent because the stuff is out of game. Making it in game gives them more justification to bully people. I've seen a fair number of those types in party finder stuff.

Why would DPS being visible make them change the rules to say you can now harass and belittle people over it? People already (rightfully) will kick people who are dead weight in EX or savage PFs so whats the problem here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why would DPS being visible make them change the rules to say you can now harass and belittle people over it? People already (rightfully) will kick people who are dead weight in EX or savage PFs so whats the problem here?

"Why does making something more visible cause people to be more visibly lovely about it" is the kind of question I'm sure you know the answer to. Like this entire conversation would be meaningless if all people wanted was to track their own personal DPS because they can do that already as long as they don't talk about it or stream it. It is about other people and if you give people more excuses to bully others they will.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just don't believe that a hyper casual player is going to be bullied and kicked out of EXDR and Normal Raids because of this, especially if the anti harassment rules which people praise as being enforced all the time are upheld.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Warmachine posted:

The community generally feels more welcoming, but I think that's more a function of there not being a General/Trade chat for people in Limsa to talk about how Hitler was Actually Right to everyone in the zone than it is for any active form of moderation. People will absolutely be toxic shitheads of given the motive, means, and opportunity.

I don't think this is true, because anyone can click Shout and be lovely to everyone in the zone. I once saw a dude being massively transphobic in the middle of the Gold Saucer, arguing in shout chat with everyone around. I filed a report, and the GM got back to me saying they got a ton of reports about the guy and it was being taken care of.

People have the ability to be as blatantly lovely as they please, as loud as they want, in any public area of the game. The means and opportunity are there. It's just that they're disincentivized to because the system works and there'll be consequences for it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Harassment can be a difficult thing to enforce. Using a prohibited addon is easy. If you harass someone because of things your illegal addons told you, the hammer can come down very quickly without much argument.

It's the same reason US customs forms ask "are you planning to commit a terrorist attack". They're not expecting to catch people with it, but if they catch them later "lying on customs form" paperwork can be a whole lot easier depending on the desired result.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If hitting enrages in high end content is such consistently an issue for you this late into a raid tier when you've had time to gear up...like 4 classes on tomes alone outside of upgrade mats I'm not sure the occasional unskilled pick up player in PF is your issue.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't have super strong opinions on having a damage meter in game, but I do think that the number of people who just need to be told that they are bad and then they will try harder to improve is very, very small. The vast majority of players that aren't even pressing their buttons just don't care to do better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't have super strong opinions on having a damage meter in game, but I do think that the number of people who just need to be told that they are bad and then they will try harder to improve is very, very small. The vast majority of players that aren't even pressing their buttons just don't care to do better.

This is true, but what's the downside then? People (especially console players) get the functionality ACT brings in game and the people who don't care about improving still don't have to improve.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It might be nice to have just a simple, self-only red/yellow/green indicator to show if you're outputting the expected average amount of damage for your job.

They're probably not going to implement that and certainly nothing more than that so I don't think it's even worth discussing. You should assume any raid with randos in it is going to have at least one person parsing themselves and you, and you should be okay with that as long as they aren't talking about it, because there's nothing you can do about it. If you're really curious how you're doing, I guess you'll just have to check for yourself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is true, but what's the downside then? People (especially console players) get the functionality ACT brings in game and the people who don't care about improving still don't have to improve.

It's a much nicer game when you don't have people yelling at you for not mastering your rotation in levelling dungeons. I don't want to go back to the WoW days of petty sniping about which rando has the biggest numbers.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

stev posted:

It's a much nicer game when you don't have people yelling at you for not mastering your rotation in levelling dungeons. I don't want to go back to the WoW days of petty sniping about which rando has the biggest numbers.

But this won't happen. This is entirely made up in your head. It happens in WoW because WoW has cultivated over 15 years of a culture with next to zero moderation. XIV actively punishes people who are reported for even minor things as long as they break the rules. Being harassed and bullied for your rotation would not be common because it would be bannable. as it already is now

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FFXIV's devs have already shared their opinions on the matter and scolding people for basically repeating those opinions in response to others wanting public damage reports does not change that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I already silently yell at people in my head when I see them casting the wrong spells, nothing would change.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Maybe instead of an in-game parser they should add better in-game tools to do you rotation. Like, there's "read your tooltips", but maybe a mini-quest once you get a job to max that you have to do for high-end content that makes you review the basics of your job and such.

That and making completing SSS obligatory to enter that content, but it would need a bit of tweaking and can't think of anything beyond "you have to press a GCD every X time or you lose".

In short, just let people train themselves without having to go check an external guide.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe instead of an in-game parser they should add better in-game tools to do you rotation. Like, there's "read your tooltips", but maybe a mini-quest once you get a job to max that you have to do for high-end content that makes you review the basics of your job and such.

That and making completing SSS obligatory to enter that content, but it would need a bit of tweaking and can't think of anything beyond "you have to press a GCD every X time or you lose".

In short, just let people train themselves without having to go check an external guide.

in the WoD expansion of WoW you had to pass at least Silver (basically having a pulse) Training Grounds to be able to queue up for Heroic dungeons and such, it was a great idea but they had to remove it since the vast majority of the playerbase apparently could not manage this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

they've talked about how they kind of like that idea but the problem is that rotations can change on a whim from patch to patch as part of balancing, and it's a lot of extra work to maintain it through that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah this would help. It's not so bad when you're levelling and learn skills one by one - but jumping into a class that starts at 30/50/60/70 with a full rotation to learn in one go can definitely be overwhelming.

Hell if the job quests involved actually learning the new skills you unlock and what they're for that would be a huge help. I've seen that happen a handful of times but not many.