Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Everyone Zillow your childhood home
Mine: $289,500 for a 4 bedroom ranch in a town mostly known for meth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

actionjackson posted:

I'm in Minneapolis, and yeah I think it helped a bit, but new developments still tend to be incredibly expensive

there is a big development underway in south st. paul, bordering the mississippi river. pretty desirable area - almost all of the more expensive housing is south of 94. there had a few apartments in the rental building for lower income, but for the most part it's a few homes that are all 1m+, townhomes start at 680K, and condos start at 600K

https://www.stpaul.gov/departments/planning-and-economic-development/planning/ford-sitehighland-bridge/ford-site-zoning-4 - has some details, notice the percent for low income and the timeline (lol)

We need so soviet style worker owned housing.

The only incentive to make "affordable housing" is LIHTC (low income housing tax credits). Of course only the minimum is ever done to qualify for the tax credit. Something like 20% of units with 50% median income for the area. This does not come no close to providing enough affordable housing.

Actually, since developing apartments is 90% finance, it's not that different from people buying a single family home with only 10% down payment. I've heard a bit of housing cooperatives, but not so much in the US. It would be pretty cool if Americans had any sense of solidarity to finance apartments together instead of single family homes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

oh this was kinda fun. the deck, deck cover and kitchen tiling were still all there when my dad and i did them in the mid to late 90s. also it's appreciated 600% lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

My dad painted this the year before the divorce

Lmao what.

Also my mom still lives there but she can't really afford maintenance right now... I keep telling her to move.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/alissacaliente/status/1525554255154892800?s=20&t=GzNC52mVT9U_Gr4PZv20Yw

https://twitter.com/alissacaliente/status/1525556122937065474?s=20&t=GzNC52mVT9U_Gr4PZv20Yw

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

just sold for 3 mill

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

just sold for 3 pill

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Salt Fish posted:

Tossing out 3k a month as some insane luxury rent that is totally optional tells me you don't live and work in a high cost of living city. That'll get you a pretty middling to crummy 2 bed 1 bath in DC or New York. A lot of my former coworkers were commuting 45-60m to get their rents down to 2500/mo.

You can pay less than $1k a month in DC if you're willing to live in SE on the other side of the river. 1 bed, 1 bath, kitchen (tiny but livable), and a living room. You hear gunshots every other week, they're not directed at you.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

$589,000, it cost 110 in 94', so $257,073.67 or over double in actual price after inflation

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
$200,000. It last sold for $150k in 2014, so not that bad. I guess nobody wants to live in East Bumfuck Kansas.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Whoa. They tore out the gardens and the old oak tree in the back yard is dead. 200k, when we moved out of it ~35 years ago my parents sold it for 60k.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if i had my inflation adjusted salary in '94, i would literally have been able to buy my childhood home in three years, while paying for all current expenses during those three years, in cash.

lmfao.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
gently caress baby boomers

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Incroyable

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/JazzyDaddyDolla/status/1525489890649063424

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This guy gets it. But why is this in the housing thread?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

it goes on the market June 1st. please don’t crash until then

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

755 👀

Jesus Christ

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
my childhood home only increased 2.75x in value but that’s probably because there was a meth epidemic followed by a heroin epidemic in that neighborhood that claimed the lives of 15~20% of the people I went to elementary school with

also they put lovely vinyl siding over the beautiful red brick. it’s so loving ugly now

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's because $150k doesn't go as far as you'd think when you're paying rent in an area near your $150k job

Old post but I make slightly less than that and after taxes, retirement, health insurance etc it gives me about 78,000 a year net. Rent and other housing costs is another $20K at least after that. Fortunately I don't have a car payment or any other debt. I've got it better than most and it's gonna be awfully hard to save enough for a solid down payment in the age of relatively high interest rates when a decent house in a decent neighborhood is like $750K.

Amusingly I sold my house that I'd bought in 2014 (for $240,000) at the end of 2019 because I didn't think I'd move back to the state, then moved back in 2021 and was promptly priced out of everything. My options are basically to spend 50% of my take home pay on a mortgage and hope nothing big breaks, get married to someone who makes money, or just keep renting when it's certainly going up.

I live in the South too.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hmm, lemme look at some of them:

1. Beautiful downtown house that grandparents bought my parents for 40k in the 80s before the divorce in a nice place in Idaho : 900k

2. Massive house in the middle of bum-gently caress nowhere wyoming that mom bought for 30k in the 90s post divorce? 216k now

3. lovely broken house that dad bought post divorce for 180k and couldn't afford and then lost in the housing crash (selling for 400k)? 1.2m+ lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a game with no winners

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

heated game moment posted:

after taxes, retirement, health insurance

It's stuff like this that makes jumps in income seem less than it really is. Your take home doesn't jump because you start folding in things that were a luxury in your twenties and early thirties as a matter of course.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Claremont, California...$922k.......................

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I thought I grew up in a pretty nice house but my parents were only able to get $365K in 2019, Zillow says it worth about $500k, now.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Bought for $80,000 in 1992
Sold for $350,000 in 2004
Current Zillow estimate: $695,600

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i think i win, my mom's house is "worth" only 198k, she paid 89 for it 25 years ago

edit: win to say that my prole credentials are not revoked unlike everyone else itt

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

tbf that $270k come up from 1992-2004 was more than my entire family made in actual wages over the same time period combined.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

sold to my mom in 84 for 57k, she sold in 2018 for 359k it’s now estimated by Zillow to be 460k. inflation adjusted, it was a 150k house.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lol this is some weak rear end poo poo. My neighbour bought his place in 1980 for 30k and was quoted at 1.7 mil in feb this year. my landlord is in basically the same boat, he bought a year earlier at 23k.

you could put quite a nice three story walkup on this block with a communal garden space, but this place is 100% going to some developer that's going to cram 6 townhouses on it and pave every inch of exposed earth

Buck Turgidson has issued a correction as of 03:00 on May 16, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

4 br 2.5 ba, 2300 SF, built 1985, parents sold it for 253k in 2004, current zestimate is 392k

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I was thinking today about "starter homes" and how bullshit that concept is lol

ah yes I will buy a house when I'm young (too late!) that is solely a stepping stone to a series of bigger and more expensive homes

when I eventually buy a house at 40-something I will stay there forever, bitch

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

starter home was what you got immediately after you got married before you had a lot of kids and “needed more space “

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Sold for 93k in 1997, because the folks couldn't afford it anymore and we had to move into an apartment. Currently 1.1 million. No improvements, as far as I can tell from the listing. Same shade of paint and all. What the gently caress is your problem, northern Colorado? Why you gotta do my parents like that?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Haven't talked to my parents in a decade and it turns out they sold my childhood home in 2018 for 360. It's now zillowstemated at 540. lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

30.5 Days posted:

Haven't talked to my parents in a decade and it turns out they sold my childhood home in 2018 for 360. It's now zillowstemated at 540. lol

zillowestimate is pretty bullshit most of the time, it wouldn't surprise me if "real" price was closer to 450 in which case isn't unreasonable given how much housing exploded from just 2018 to 2022. but in any case, my parents bought their "tract starter house" in 1987 for 100k and it's now 700k (knockoff wine country ca). lol @ starter housing, what an insane idea

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I was thinking today about "starter homes" and how bullshit that concept is lol

ah yes I will buy a house when I'm young (too late!) that is solely a stepping stone to a series of bigger and more expensive homes

when I eventually buy a house at 40-something I will stay there forever, bitch

:hmmyes:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Xaris posted:

zillowestimate is pretty bullshit most of the time, it wouldn't surprise me if "real" price was closer to 450 in which case isn't unreasonable given how much housing exploded from just 2018 to 2022. but in any case, my parents bought their "tract starter house" in 1987 for 100k and it's now 700k (knockoff wine country ca). lol @ starter housing, what an insane idea

yeah, while this is a cute game, the current zestimate for my home is $125,000 above what we paid for it in 2020. unlikely!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
built and sold to my parents in 1976: $44k
sold in 1993: $150k
zestimate: $425k

every other house on my childhood street is $500-700k. prices didn't even take a dip in 2008-2009. that's naperville for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
My childhood home price rose modestly since the 90s because of white flight. From a suburb. Turns out white people don't like it when their home is rezoned into the poor school.

Xaris posted:

Yeah Zillow estimate sucks. There amazing algorithm ran their home flipping subsidiary straight into the ground last year. They lost $420 million in 3 months.

edit: "lost half a $420 million" to "$420 million"

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 16:31 on May 16, 2022