Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Or just put the belts wherever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh dear, I've gone crosseyed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Oh god, my eyes! That is a crime against OCD humanity.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Locator posted:

It's cool seeing how new people set stuff up like this, but I have one hopefully constructive comment: I may be blind, but I don't see any way for the top two reactors to even get fuel cells. They may be offline simply because they can't get fuel, or have spent fuel removed. The picture is too low res to zoom in further to try to see.

Also, just an opinion thing, while I admire the people who rig up circuit stuff to control the flow of fuel into nuclear setups, once you get Kovarex up and running it becomes pretty much impossible to run out of fuel ever, so I never even bother with circuits and my nuclear plants just run full speed at all times with no circuits.

My electricity usage was around 40MW. 2 reactors produce 160 and 4 like 480MW.

I actually made the setup so it has room for 4 reactors, but I run only two. According to cheat sheet 2x1 setup requires only 8 heat exchangers and 14 turbines, but I made 12/24 so I can expand the capacity when I need more reactors.

So the nuclear plant is only 50% ready. But a factory made like 10 reactors when I left only one slot free in a chest..

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 11, 2022

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mario posted:

Yes!! Yes!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mario posted:

This is beautiful and is how the game should be played.

Give it to a geology student and have them do relative dating on each belt.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
No gaps in bus belts, filter splitters as far as the eye can see.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

uPen posted:

No gaps in bus belts, filter splitters as far as the eye can see.

SHAME

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
It is just the terminus of a "bus" which lasted just long enough to research logistic requesters in Sea Block. It still feeds the mall, but some mall materials are now shipped in from a boring city block rail grid as those facilities come online.

I've learned these tips to help create the spaghetti:
  1. Build one belt per resource. Add another later if you run out of capacity. These belts don't have to be next to each other.
  2. Counterflow belts are good for resource loops or sending science back to the head of the bus.
  3. If two resources are commonly used together, don't worry about putting them with each other on the bus.
  4. Use the most basic tech belts possible, so that you end up with more underground sections to cross other belts.
  5. If you need to cross a large bundle of existing belts, don't give up and use a longer underground. Instead, cut a section out of those existing belts with undergrounds on each of them.
  6. Always try to lay belts by just running along dragging the belt -- let the game pop in undergrounds to hop over other belts.
  7. If you can't see a way to get a belt through, just jog it to the side a bit (or a lot) and keep going.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Mario posted:

It's beautiful... spaghetti for life!

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Mario posted:

:sickos:

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
I am also a believer in our one true savior, the underground belt.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TonySnow posted:

this is horrifying, well done

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Got cocoons going at a decent enough rate since I can't actually automate everything because chips are still locked. Started blood products going to eventually get chips going, and while i'm working on that crops will start accelerating production.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TonySnow posted:

There is artistry in chaos and I kinda want to hang this on my wall.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Since I've discovered Factorissimo I can't play Factorio any other way anymore. The level of abstraction it brings makes everything click in my brain.

Take my splitter production for example:

Iron and copper plates go in, red splitters come out. Simple abstraction. What does that look like on the inside?

More abstractions. One factory each for the yellow belts, gears, copper cables, green chips and yellow splitters, and then one that assembles the final product, the red splitters, and sends it out of the factory.

Inside say, the yellow belt factory?

No more abstractions, just two ingredients weaved into 8 assemblers.

What if we go further up? The level above the red splitter factory:

This is my "belt things" factory. That factory is contained in my "general logistics" factory:

And so on.

I've tried going back to non-Factorissimo Factorio and I kind of hated it. Once the complexity goes above X in vanilla Factorio my attention can no longer deal with it and my interest wanes. This completely takes care of that problem and now I can rack up hundreds of hours of Factorio without breaking a sweat. Which is kind of a problem of its own.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

TonySnow posted:

Magnificent!!

Zedlic posted:

Since I've discovered Factorissimo I can't play Factorio any other way anymore. The level of abstraction it brings makes everything click in my brain.

Take my splitter production for example:

Iron and copper plates go in, red splitters come out. Simple abstraction. What does that look like on the inside?

More abstractions. One factory each for the yellow belts, gears, copper cables, green chips and yellow splitters, and then one that assembles the final product, the red splitters, and sends it out of the factory.

Inside say, the yellow belt factory?

No more abstractions, just two ingredients weaved into 8 assemblers.

What if we go further up? The level above the red splitter factory:

This is my "belt things" factory. That factory is contained in my "general logistics" factory:

And so on.

I've tried going back to non-Factorissimo Factorio and I kind of hated it. Once the complexity goes above X in vanilla Factorio my attention can no longer deal with it and my interest wanes. This completely takes care of that problem and now I can rack up hundreds of hours of Factorio without breaking a sweat. Which is kind of a problem of its own.

This is really cool! I wonder if this is reifying abstractions that other players use. When I build a factory, I break it down into units to handle each step, and each unit has a set input (a belt of iron) and an output (some number of gears, for example). Then I move onto the next unit, and the gear unit becomes a black box -- I don't think of it as anything but "iron in, gears out" and I don't think about how it works because I already finished that unit. Factorissimo gives you those boxes in the game itself, instead of as a purely mental abstraction. Really cuts down on the visual noise, and I bet it's easier to come back to an old factory.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The last time I tried Factorissimo my biggest complaint was you couldn't easily copy/paste sub-factories with their internals, you had to go inside to paste the contents, which was okay until you wanted to paste a nested sub-factory. Is there any way to do that more easily yet?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TonySnow posted:

Yesssss that's the stuff

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

power crystals posted:

The last time I tried Factorissimo my biggest complaint was you couldn't easily copy/paste sub-factories with their internals, you had to go inside to paste the contents, which was okay until you wanted to paste a nested sub-factory. Is there any way to do that more easily yet?

Not really. I just keep blueprints of the common subfactories, like "one belt into assemblers" or "three belts into assemblers" and paste accordingly when I need them. Then I have a blueprint of the higher level factory, with belts feeding into other factories. And so on. It becomes a bit of manual labor for sure when replicating multi level factories but easily worth it for me.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Solumin posted:

Magnificent!!

This is really cool! I wonder if this is reifying abstractions that other players use.

Definitely. You always need to abstract things to get a handle on any kind of base complexity, and this takes away any mental processing spent on maintaining those abstractions. Makes them visual instead, which feels like a breath of fresh air for my brain.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Firebatgyro posted:

Got cocoons going at a decent enough rate since I can't actually automate everything because chips are still locked. Started blood products going to eventually get chips going, and while i'm working on that crops will start accelerating production.

Get auogs and make them poop for Urea it's much more renewable than killing things for blood until you can actually breed cottonguts (unless you make like 25 cottungut studs in the lab but that's... not ideal)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m on a long-distance train ride right now, and I was struck by just how long most trains are in real life. A dozen cars is short, and I’ve seen trains go by with thirty cars or more. Has anybody ever used really long trains in Factorio, or seen anyone else use them? It’s not very practical, but there’s something extremely cool to me about the idea of seeing a coal train 20 cars long.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

There's one popular map someone made where their base material trains were like 120 cars long. It has a really clever multiple-stop system for these mega trains https://youtu.be/zRYQcVb_5W0

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It's hard to load/unload such a long train just by sheer material requirements. Even if you put only one blue belt per wagon, to load a 32-wagon ore train you'd need 2,880 electric miners (before productivity bonus) to keep those belts filled. So you went to mining prod 100 on your map, and you have large enough ore patches to fit 288 miners, then it starts to get practical to have trains of that size, but there's other impracticalities that start to stack up on top of that. Where do the trains wait to unload? Do your main lines have enough space between signals/intersections to fit the trains of that size? If you have multiple unloading stations near each other, those will also need to be spaced far enough apart to prevent deadlocks. Maybe if you really cranked up the ore generation settings to be very far apart but very large (and probably dense) you'd be able to get use out of them. Practically the largest I'd ever go with trains is 8 cargo wagons.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Are there any mods that an an economic aspect to the game? Like work orders for X amount of electric engines within 30 minutes type of thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Long trains aren’t for materials.

https://youtu.be/lLwUq2XD9Cw

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Long trains aren’t for materials.

https://youtu.be/lLwUq2XD9Cw

I'm more a fan of the perimeter defense splatter train.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

nrook posted:

I’m on a long-distance train ride right now, and I was struck by just how long most trains are in real life. A dozen cars is short, and I’ve seen trains go by with thirty cars or more. Has anybody ever used really long trains in Factorio, or seen anyone else use them? It’s not very practical, but there’s something extremely cool to me about the idea of seeing a coal train 20 cars long.

Well this one eventually gets to long trains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgQwzom0Xo

It gets there by going through some interesting steps first.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Xerol posted:

It's hard to load/unload such a long train just by sheer material requirements. Even if you put only one blue belt per wagon, to load a 32-wagon ore train you'd need 2,880 electric miners (before productivity bonus) to keep those belts filled. So you went to mining prod 100 on your map, and you have large enough ore patches to fit 288 miners, then it starts to get practical to have trains of that size, but there's other impracticalities that start to stack up on top of that. Where do the trains wait to unload? Do your main lines have enough space between signals/intersections to fit the trains of that size? If you have multiple unloading stations near each other, those will also need to be spaced far enough apart to prevent deadlocks. Maybe if you really cranked up the ore generation settings to be very far apart but very large (and probably dense) you'd be able to get use out of them. Practically the largest I'd ever go with trains is 8 cargo wagons.

Thats only if you need 32 belts of ore.

Think of instead doing 32 yellow half belts of ore, and you just get one mega train arriving at your base every few minutes. Its a wonderful look, and makes rail crossings so much safer as you have gaps between big slow trains instead of hyperfast 1-4's.

If you wanted to be perfectly efficient it's not the strategy for you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The problem is you still need an enormous unloading station with inserters for every cargo wagon for an enormous train, which isn't really how big trains work in the real world. In particular, bulk stuff will usually have continuous loading and unloading systems.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

You can space stations apart (but you need a long straight runway ahead of where you want to unload) and have the train stop every, say, 4 cars apart, but setting the station conditions correctly can be a pain. You'd still want to have two of those trains to cover the gap while one is reloading, which still means you need a place to store that train if they happen to both come back to the station at the same time (or use station train limits, I suppose). As a small proof of concept, which isn't actually proof since I just built it in the middle of nowhere and this train doesn't do anything:

Extend to the number of unloading belts, cargo wagons, and locomotives as you want. One other downside in this particular case is that the station takes up one slot where an inserter could be unloading a wagon:

Which can probably be fixed by just putting a locomotive there instead of a cargo wagon, so you've got everything mixed together. Unfortunately you have to place the stations an even number of cars apart. So something like this 2-8-2-8... design could work:

But not a 1-4-1-4... train. I guess if your train isn't making very long trips, you'd get slightly better acceleration out of a 2-4-2-4... but if your train isn't making long trips there's probably not a reason for a big train in the first place.

And no, you can't really place the subsequent stops around a curve; since a train isn't the same size on a curve as on a straight rail, alignment errors add up and you end up with a wagon hanging halfway between two tiles and it just becomes a mess. I mean, unless that's what you're going for.

On the other end of the spectrum is a tiny train that does a lot. I had started working on a base where a 1-1 car would make a ridiculous number of stops, each stop doing one production step, with the end result being 1000 of each science pack. This involved a lot of fiddling around with circuit networks setting filter inserter conditions at each stop, to ensure the train only took on exactly as many items as were needed for the next step, and the train had over 60 stops on the list before I even got to rocket parts. I think it would have eventually deadlocked due to partial fluid barrels - after a few cycles, either not enough would get unloaded or a manufacturing step would not have enough fluid to complete. The plan was to get one circuit working and then duplicate the train by as many stops as there were, so you had a continuous loop of trains picking up ores -> smelting -> manufacturing -> dropping packs off at the lab. Hard mode would be no solar power, so the train would also have to pick up fuel and water for steam engines (or I guess nuclear power, as Hard Mode Level 2).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Since we're posting our spaghetti bases now (click for huge image):

(not pictured: Aluminum production somewhere to the east, but it's boring and I did not want to make the screenshot even larger)

I went back to this Nullius save that I abandoned after unlocking purple schience because I have a plan on how to salvage this now:
I added the Transport Drones mod and managed to limp through the purple research until I could actually unlock it.
Next I'll automate all the relevant items (roads, the cars and the different depot types)*.

With that, I'll make a new base where I basically plan to use the Transport drones as a bus for all items:
One big road in the middle with production columns on each side, where each column uses only a single recipe and all the inputs/outputs are handled by the drones. With a bit of circuit logic for priorities, this should be able to handle the byproduct madness of Nullius...I hope :ohdear:

* that's scary as well, I need all the purple science ingredients + most of the items on the existing bus just for a single transport drone. Just look at that ingredient list :smithicide:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 14, 2022

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Ah, another gentle soul of good taste. I stuck it through the base mod to get to logistics bots, now I've just finished setting up a bot mall and next have to deal with the raw material scaling I need to do. Here's my shamefully sparse 40 lane bus, you can see bots are the last assemblers on the left. That's 2 lanes for gravel, running out then back in. :v:

Edit: This is my build for medium assemblers, it's 15 different inputs from the bus and still takes 13 subproducts.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 15, 2022

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
PyBlock is so masochistic that it somehow wraps around to being funny. I finally unlocked automation after 8 hours.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

PyBlock is so masochistic that it somehow wraps around to being funny. I finally unlocked automation after 8 hours.

I swear that if someone made a mod where the only change from vanilla was that all burner/electric miners were locked behind Space science, someone, somewhere, would take a crack at it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Breetai posted:

I swear that if someone made a mod where the only change from vanilla was that all burner/electric miners were locked behind Space science, someone, somewhere, would take a crack at it.

Not only was that basically done already, someone figured out the absolute minimum amount of time it would take, assuming perfect play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZY96I842YA

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

KillHour posted:

Not only was that basically done already, someone figured out the absolute minimum amount of time it would take, assuming perfect play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZY96I842YA

That was actually way shorter than I expected

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So Nullius got an update this weekend and it did something I haven't seen in another mod before: Checkpoints

It inserts blockers into the techtree that you need to clear before you can research the next tech in a line.

What usually happens is: You automate a new tech tier. Then you go off to redesign your smelting or build a huge rail network or whatever while researching all the available techs. And now you have 30 new techs unlocked and haven't actually used any of them, possibly even completely skipping things because you already researched an upgrade without using the basic version first.
With this, you need to actually use a tech before you can progress further in that part of the tech tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Today's insanity is trying to find/make an 8-lane bus tap that's throughput-unlimited like the 4-lane one that seems to be everywhere (on the left):

My original idea (right) was to just use an 8-to-9 splitter but that is just fugly (plus I seriously doubt the first 8-to-9 splitter I found on factorioprints is throughput-unlimited anyway). Next thought: use two of the 4-lane taps and just merge them with an extra splitter:

Which seems to be doing the job, but I tried to do some throughput tests and have no idea what I'm actually measuring.

Final results, top is what got split and bottom is what continued "down" the bus.

I don't think this is actually measuring anything useful since I wasn't saturating the input belts, but the tap was jamming up after the bus belts got somewhat going.