Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

kdrudy posted:

I've never heard of the gate post thing and I had lived in the middle in nowhere in the country for a long time, is it a Texas thing?

As a Texan this is the first I'm hearing of it. But I'm a city boy, so maybe that'll be why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

kdrudy posted:

I've never heard of the gate post thing and I had lived in the middle in nowhere in the country for a long time, is it a Texas thing?

I like the idea of a symbol everyone's supposed to know means "you get shot to death" but doesn't explicitly say so. Strikes me as a "post hoc" defense for killing someone :v:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

kdrudy posted:

Yeah I found that confusing. I guess it’s a southern thing? that that Google says you typically do on a tree or fence post where your property meets another to let hunters and hikers know that you don’t want trespassers. So of course it would be popular to do to your front gate in Texas.

However, entering a gate and walking to the front door to speak to the property owner isn’t considered trespassing pretty much anywhere.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

As a Texan this is the first I'm hearing of it. But I'm a city boy, so maybe that'll be why.

I had to look it up, apparently they added it to the law back in the 90s to mean the same thing as posted trespassing signs, so you can shoot someone without the hassle of having to replace said signs due to wear and tear.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

therobit posted:

Yeah I found that confusing. I guess it’s a southern thing? that that Google says you typically do on a tree or fence post where your property meets another to let hunters and hikers know that you don’t want trespassers. So of course it would be popular to do to your front gate in Texas.

However, entering a gate and walking to the front door to speak to the property owner isn’t considered trespassing pretty much anywhere.

Entering a locked gate to speak to the property owner is different legally.

Shooting trespassers at will is still a terrible attitude that's more prevalent in the south for obvious reasons.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I'm general the OP is in the right but the purple post thing is stupid as gently caress. What if someone is colorblind? Just buy a no trespassing sign you rear end in a top hat, you already have evidence that not everyone knows what that means.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That entire thing is stdh.txt and there's nowhere in the US where you can shoot people for walking up your driveway.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

therobit posted:

Eh, a black suit is about the third or fourth suit a man should own. First you want a dark charcoal grey suit, then Navy, as both will be far more versatile. After that black and/or brown.

That said you can rent a suit if you need to or get a cheap black suit for a special occasion if you are not a suit buyer. I guess if you really never ever have occasion to wear a suit because you never go to weddings or funerals because you have no friends or family then go with black because at least they can bury you in it.

What classist trash is this? If you have no reason to own a suit you must have no friends or family?

I've never been to a wedding or funeral or event of any kind that required anything more fancy than dress pants and a nice shirt. I went to a funeral on Friday where I was one of the only people not wearing jeans.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

It isn't betraying your sense of self and style to put some black slacks on. Good lord.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

therobit posted:

Eh, a black suit is about the third or fourth suit a man should own. First you want a dark charcoal grey suit, then Navy, as both will be far more versatile. After that black and/or brown.

That said you can rent a suit if you need to or get a cheap black suit for a special occasion if you are not a suit buyer. I guess if you really never ever have occasion to wear a suit because you never go to weddings or funerals because you have no friends or family then go with black because at least they can bury you in it.

Ya I don’t think I’ll buy any suits actually bc nobody wears them anymore bc they suck

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Posting this one mostly because there's some really interesting and insightful commenters besides the ones arguing over IQ and its significance.

I lashed out at my gifted sister and told her she had always been the favorite child

quote:

(Throwaway because this post is going to be long and extremely personal. Sorry if this is all over the place, this is 24 years of pent up feelings finally coming out)

For context I (F24) am autistic. I was diagnosed when I was 6 but my parents didn't tell me until I was 13 or so and it was only when specifically asked why I was always in the special ed classes. My sister F(26) was a "gifted child". From what I know her 1st-grade teacher suggested my parents get her tested, they found out that as a kid she apparently had a 124 IQ.

My parents were extremely happy about the news and went on to move her to a gifted kids' school once 2nd grade rolled around. They also let her take piano classes, had a brief stint as a "professional chess player", and would always take us to the science museum for summer vacations.

Meanwhile, I had always struggled in school. I'll admit I was a brat because at the time I had no idea what social cues were and the loud noises of a classroom would overstimulate me.I would cry a LOT due to the stress of the classroom. My parents got me tested in the 1st grade after the disaster that was a kindergarten and they found out I was autistic. apparently, they also had my iq tested (for some reason?) and they found out my Iq was 112. After that I got put into the special ed program along with some headphones to wear in class. (I eventually stopped wearing the headphones halfway through 5th grade)

Even though I wasn't fully aware of what was going on I always knew my sister was the "smart one". at family dinner it always felt like whenever I brought up a topic I would be quickly dismissed so my parents and sister could engage in conversation. It always felt like they were talking around me rather than to me.

It didn't help either that my parents loved bragging about my sister's accomplishments and IQ. Yet whenever it came to me, it was always them making "jokes" about how much I struggled with math and how much of a "handful" I was. Eventually, I took my mom aside and asked her to stop making those jokes after she embarrassed me at thanksgiving by telling my grandma how I was failing foundations of math (aka "easy math"). She got defensive and said that "there's truth in every joke" and that I was just looking for a reason to be mad at her.

I continued to struggle in school, in fact I later learned some of my teachers told my parents that it was very unlikely I'd get a job or get into college when I was older. One that really hosed me up was learning my 3rd grade teacher said that I wouldn't get a job with my mental capacity. I loved her as a teacher and she had always been sweet to me so hearing this was shocking. I just always found most classrooms overwhelming and math in particular very confusing. At one point in fourth grade I would be crying every single day. partly because I was getting bullied and had no friends, but also because I could tell how frustrated everyone was with me. My elementary school years ended with me eating lunch in the guidance counselor's office to avoid my bullies and with my only friend being (I kid you not) the school bus driver.

Meanwhile my sister was winning piano competitions, going out for a victory ice cream with my dad every time she did so. She also was doing a robotics program at school that I was always particularly envious of. It always seemed like despite the fact she was only two years older than me she had professionals and teachers talking to her like she was an adult all the time. She won a "speech writing" competition for the class and read her speech at her elementary school graduation. I admit I've been envious of her accomplishments for a long while. However, whenever I broached the subject with my parents they'd just tell me "sometimes people are just wired different". Or "maybe if you work hard you'll be like her".

My sister herself was actually pretty nice to me, even if it felt like we were more "roomates that happened to have the same parents" than family. We didn't see each other that much but she was still generally nice to me and i don't think she ever really disliked me. We had a few squabbles about petty sister stuff but other than that we were cordial.

This poo poo continued until middle school, were things took a turn for the better. I finally began "masking" and on my first day I made three new actual friends. My grades were still god awful but from middle to highschool I was never without a friend group of some sort. When I reached highschool I honestly got to the point where I stopped caring about trying to keep my grades up and only cared about passing with enough credits to graduate and seeing my friends.

This was also the time I made my first "real accomplishment". I was cast as the female lead in a play Sophmore year and was so excited. Working on the play was probably when I was at my happiest in my teen years. I made so many new friends, it felt like people actually liked me, and at every practice I was complimented for my performance and ability to remember lines quicker than everyone else . I had never been praised by so many people like that and I loved it.

However the night we finally did our play I was looking forward to the compliments my parents would give me. since this was definitely something they would praise my sister for doing. However, the car ride home was just my parents complaining about the food at the play venue taking an hour to be served. Not a word about my actual performance. I think that was when I realized that my accomplishments weren't ever going to matter to them.

Eventually me and my sister graduated high school (we both went to the same highschool and middle school). I actually got accepted into a college my high school guidance counselor said I wouldn't and she got accepted into a STEM college. Though the main reason I got accepted into my dream college was because of my art ability. This is a big passion of mine because it was one of the only things I could do when my parents refused to let me take up any other sports of hobbies outside of school clubs or special ed sports. my parent's response when I wanted to do something like say, take piano classes was always "you only want to do it because your sister is doing it" or "you'll get bored of it in a week".

after my sister moved out to head to college my parent's regularly kept in contact with her but the two of us didn't talk much. the two years without my sister in the housea was strange. Imagine your parent's being more like your roommates instead of your parents. we barely talked other than when necessary but on the bright side it was peaceful and I could pretty much go out and hang with my friend groups whenever I wanted and they would do nothing.

Eventually, I moved into the college dorms and pretty much all contact ceased with my parents. I didn't really mind though, since I had made a sort of "found family" with my friends and we'd just crash at each other's places during breaks. (another reason I didn't keep in contact was because I was a lesbian and while my parents weren't bible humpers they weren't fond of gay people in general)

I ended up graduating and landed a decent job nearby my friends. I'm living a pretty good life right now, however my sister contacted me over Facebook a while ago to "catch up". I'll admit I was hesitant, but I ended up responding back and made light conversation over cat memes. after a month or so she offered to me up with me over Starbucks and I hesitantly agreed.

We had a pretty good time at Starbucks catching up with each other. However I ended up asking why she suddenly reached out and her entire mood changed. she went into a long rant about how after a year at the STEM school she dropped out to take online courses while also working from home. She said she had recently gotten diagnosed with depression and that she only now realized as an adult how much she "missed out on" as a kid.

I asked what she meant by that and she said she was jealous that I "had the perfect life", and that she was never able to make friends as easily as me due to her "giftedness". She said that she envied me for being able to "enjoy my childhood" and that she has next to no social skills now due to "gifted kid burnout syndrome".

I'll admit this is where I hosed up. I got annoyed and asked her if she would rather be called dumb rather than gifted, and that if so I would gladly take her place any day. She said that being gifted hadn't helped her and I reminded her that our parents constantly doted on her and rewarded her for her accomplishments. She went sort of quiet and I said that if she was trying to make me feel sorry for her because she was born smarter than me then I wasn't.

She got mad and asked if I hated her because she was labeled "gifted" and I said I was mad because she doesn't realize how lucky she had it. I struggled so hard to learn how to socialize AND I wasn't smart, I don't see how someone who is not only neurotypical but also gifted couldn't do the same. I can't feel bad for someone who is privileged enough to be born inherently "better" than me and then complain about being privileged.

We kept arguing and once things got heated we just decided to change the topic and we went our separate ways.

I only realized after the fact how harsh I was. We text every other day basically sending each other pictures and memes about our pets but there is this tension every time we text. I don't know if I should bring it up again and apologize or just let it fizzle out. I'm scared that if I bring it up it'll just lead to another argument.

should I bring it up to her? and if so how do I go about it?

TL;DR Parents favored my sister due to her 124 IQ during childhood. I learned how to cope by making friends outside of my family. After reuniting with my sister she said she envied me for my "perfect life" and I lashed out at her. I don't know what to do now.

EDIT: WOW... I didn't expect this to blow up so much. it's a little embarrassing (mainly since I wrote all of this while going through insane menstrual cramps lol) but I do appreciate all the kindness and support. Seeing the opinions of people in similar situations and people who are "the gifted children" in their own families is really eye-opening.

I'm going to start planning my apology to my sister. After sitting on it for a while, I realize I don't want my hang-ups to determine whether or not I am able to get along with her. I messaged her asking when she would be free to go dog-walking together. She hasn't responded yet but hopefully, she accepts :) I feel like it'd be easier for me to apologize in person than over text.

I have been seeing a therapist for the last year or so, but it has mainly been for sexual trauma that doesn't involve anyone from my family. however, I could try bringing this up to her when we meet up next week.

Thanks again to everyone for the kindness, and for the tough love some of you gave me as well.

Comments:

quote:

I would apologize to her for lashing out.

Then I would explain as you did in this post. Maybe even let her read your post. I'll bet she would find it a real eye-opener.

It's probably hard for you to hear - the way you viewed and felt about your own growing up is surprisingly different from how your sister saw and felt about those same things.

You saw your parents spending time with and nurturing her over what they valued - her IQ and her potential - while you feel they ignored you over a perceived lack of those things.

Still, despite all that attention, she didn't feel nurtured. All she felt was the pressure to perform, and she was envious you got let off the hook to discover yourself.

Part of having a good relationship is being able to talk and open up. By lashing out and arguing and not accepting her own view, she's probably got her guard up.

But it's obvious this is a big a problem for her just as it is for you. And it's a real opportunity to share something that you both have in common in a surprising way.

I'm sorry your parents are cretins. But I hope the best for you and your sister.

quote:

Yes, this.

Op, for every "positive" you perceived, she likely perceived it as a negative.

You saw your parents endless attention? She felt constantly under a microscope.

You saw them bragging about her accomplishments? She felt a constant pressure to always improve and never screw up, even if she was privately frightened she had hit the limit of her ability.

You saw opportunity in the hobbies she was allowed to do? She saw pressure and yet another thing she was supposed to be perfect at or your parents would take away from her the only attribute she had of value; that she was "smart".

And you can flip it too; all the stuff you hated,she probably wanted. You saw neglect she saw the freedom to make choices without interference.

You saw lack of opportunities, she saw the space and time to make friends, hang out, goof off, and work out what she enjoyed doing, not just what she was good at, regardless of whether or not she hated it.

You saw abandonment from your parents, she saw the opportunity to build your own found family, who like you for you, as opposed to being stuck with parents who she's pretty sure, only like her because it gives them something new to boast about, and if she ever screwed up or stopped giving them that ego fuel, they'd kick her to the curb too.

Your parents hosed both of you up, and while each of you may have been standing on the other side wanting what each other had, the truth is, you both needed a middle ground you were denied. Try to understand that her childhood mistreatment might be a very different shape to yours, but it doesn't make it any less unhealthy or damaging. She needs to realise that too, but maybe between the pair of you, you can help find that middle ground and start to heal.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That entire thing is stdh.txt and there's nowhere in the US where you can shoot people for walking up your driveway.

The purple posts thing does seem to be real and whilst the homeowner would get jailed for shooting someone walking up their drive the person the shot is still dead. The purple posts giving, at least, the implication that you will be shot. The dummy locked gate is just another layer of trying to justify it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've heard it both ways, does "dummy locked" mean a latch anyone can undo in seconds just to keep it closed, or a fake lock that people might not even notice when they push the gate open?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I've heard it both ways, does "dummy locked" mean a latch anyone can undo in seconds just to keep it closed, or a fake lock that people might not even notice when they push the gate open?

It means a real chain + a real padlock, but the padlock isn't actually locked, it just looks like it is. Ideally, nobody should be able to tell that it's a dummy lock without actually trying the lock.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kdrudy posted:

There are purple paint laws in multiple states. Cheaper to paint your fenceposts purple than to put up No Trespassing signs every 50 feet. And yeah, I'd never heard of it either, until I read that Reddit posting.

e: The list: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

besides the fact that it's definitely used as an excuse by sociopaths to shoot people, it's also needlessly ableist. lmao if you're colorblind

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Posting this one mostly because there's some really interesting and insightful commenters besides the ones arguing over IQ and its significance.

I lashed out at my gifted sister and told her she had always been the favorite child

Comments:

Those are indeed some shockingly good comments

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

run on sentience posted:

What classist trash is this? If you have no reason to own a suit you must have no friends or family?

I've never been to a wedding or funeral or event of any kind that required anything more fancy than dress pants and a nice shirt. I went to a funeral on Friday where I was one of the only people not wearing jeans.

If you are old enough to be out of college the appropriate dress for a man to wear to such occasions is a suit. HTH.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are purple paint laws in multiple states. Cheaper to paint your fenceposts purple than to put up No Trespassing signs every 50 feet. And yeah, I'd never heard of it either, until I read that Reddit posting.

e: The list: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.

Looking at that list, yeah, it's definitely a lovely excuse to shoot minorities, so gently caress HOA, but gently caress that homeowner and his dad with purple fenceposts.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

therobit posted:

If you are old enough to be out of college the appropriate dress for a man to wear to such occasions is a suit. HTH.

Men can wear dresses too. Hth

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

therobit posted:

At least when it comes to weddings, this depends on the couple. The first wedding I went to as an adult was black tie and I dressed appropriately; I assumed all weddings were like this and went to my second wedding in black tie attire, only to be reminded that the people getting married were rafting guides getting married by the river - I was the only guy in the audience that wasn’t wearing a casual button-down and khaki shorts. At least I had the excuse of being the DJ/MC.

Lesson learned, always ask about dress code

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
He refused to use soap. Yes, this includes hand soap. He believed that water and scrubbing was enough to keep yourself clean and it was important not to strip your body of its natural oils. I must admit, he did have really nice hair and skin but he always smelled bad and I could not get over the fact that he didn’t even use soap after using the bathroom. I have no clue what he does if his hands get sticky or really dirty, I didn’t stick around long enough to find out. Thankfully we never got physical or made it official, but we “talked” and went on dates for a month and I still get the ick when I think about him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

run on sentience posted:

Do you think poor people just all dress like slobs and somehow could never dream of dressing up nice for an event? Many of them will still wear nice formal clothes for things like church, parties, work events, etc. because being able to dress well both makes a good impression and lets a lot of people take pride in themselves.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

therobit posted:

I'm guessing suits are another thing being killed by millennials, we've discovered the wild secret that the only reason people wear them is because people think they should wear them.

Every wedding and funeral I've been to that has had lots of people in suits has been poo poo and painfully white, meanwhile the ones where everyone has shown up just however tend to be way more honest

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

PSA: If you have time and resources to spare to spend 10 bucks on posting jokes then if you show up to your dads funeral or siblings wedding in basketball shorts and and an armpit stained anime t-shirt and get kicked out instead of at least demonstrating some level of giving a poo poo but spending a few hours and dollars at a thrift store to look like you kinda tried you are probably an rear end in a top hat

I have a hard time believing that mom wouldn't have footed the bill for a nice dress for her daughter that always dresses like a slob, for her other daughter's wedding

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

kdrudy posted:

It's a "fantasize about murdering people with dark skin and getting away with it because the victim didn't know the secret code I just made up" thing.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kalel posted:

besides the fact that it's definitely used as an excuse by sociopaths to shoot people, it's also needlessly ableist. lmao if you're colorblind

I was just thinking this. Now I've got "getting shot" to add to "trying to enter a toilet cubicle that's already occupied" as the perks of protanopia.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You can cross state lines and kill two people to "defend other people's property" in the US. Surely you can shoot people who walked onto your property after unlocking a gate.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
The line between "actually legal" and "guy pointing gun at me thinks is legal" is not necessarily one that i want to assume will keep me from getting shot.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Looking at that list, yeah, it's definitely a lovely excuse to shoot minorities, so gently caress HOA, but gently caress that homeowner and his dad with purple fenceposts.
He and other commenters have such obvious glee at "whoo, I get to shoot people on sight." Including somebody that said red fenceposts explicitly meant "shoot on sight".

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

pentyne posted:

Do you think poor people just all dress like slobs and somehow could never dream of dressing up nice for an event? Many of them will still wear nice formal clothes for things like church, parties, work events, etc. because being able to dress well both makes a good impression and lets a lot of people take pride in themselves.

Formal event clothes often doesn't have to be a suit and not wearing a suit does not mean dressing like a slob. Clean, sharp, in good repair, appropriate to the event and in your own style that matches your demeanor is something poor/rich people alike take pride in and does not need to be a suit for most things in life. Some people dig going the whole nine yards once in awhile like at the Melbourne Cup or whatever, you do you.

A suit is more and more a niche bit of kit that can just as easily leave you looking a bit overdone if everyone else targeted a bit more colorful/less formal/etc. Especially as different cultures don't have suits at all further eroding the absolute need to wear one to fit in.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my neighbor to mind her business about my sons

quote:

I (23f ) am a single mother of twin boys (3M). We recently moved in with my mother after leaving our crappy apartment in nyc.

My mother lives in a neighborhood that’s mostly elderly and families with older children.

Yesterday it was hot out and my boys were throwing water balloons at each other and me . Well my neighbor (47F) came over and asked to keep the noise down and take my kids inside as it was early . It was 2pm in the afternoon

I paid no mine and went inside to grab some water for my sons . I hear yelling and rush back out to see my neighbor with my sons toys and yelling at them .

I lost it and told her to mind her own business . When she says this

“ of course people like you have to ruin the neighborhood “

I’m black and my sons are mixed ( their father is white )

I told her to get off my mother’s property before I call the cops

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Getting some cognitive dissonance from the thread. We're supposed to be mature grown ups who respect people's wishes but also I should be allowed to wear my wheelies and megadeth crop top to formal events.

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
I truly can't believe people are defending slobbo sister, its literally not about her, its not her wedding. Put in effort or don't come

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He and other commenters have such obvious glee at "whoo, I get to shoot people on sight." Including somebody that said red fenceposts explicitly meant "shoot on sight".

How do these people get their mail, a P.O. box in town? Are mail carriers allowed to trespass?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Metaline posted:

How do these people get their mail, a P.O. box in town? Are mail carriers allowed to trespass?

Rural route mailboxes are often across the road or on the road next to your house, not on your house. Packages are often left there as well.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
(Looking around at all the people in stupid suits and dresses at mee-maw's funeral) Haha, man, can you believe how white this is? Who do these people all think they are, the prime minister? Oh thank you, yes, these are my formal JNCOs

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA for telling my friend I didn’t think the clothes she was packing were appropriate for her trip to meet my in-laws/her boyfriend’s family?

quote:

Before anybody in my husband’s family gets married, they ask the grandparents for their approval/permission. If they say no, the marriage usually doesn’t happen. The only time a no still led to a marriage was when my husband’s parents married.

Fitting into my husband’s family was extremely difficult in the beginning, and the only reason I got a yes is because I was already pregnant by the time my husband introduced me to everyone.

My friend is dating my husband’s cousin and has been for longer than I’ve been with my husband. This trip was the first time she was meeting the family officially, though. I was with her while she was packing and I noticed she was packing revealing outfits and nothing more toned down. I tried to hint to her to pack some of her more conservative outfits and her nicer outfits too because I know how some of my in-laws can be and I know how much is riding on this trip for her. She wasn’t getting my hints and eventually when she asked me what I thought of a dress she was packing I told her I didn’t think the clothes she was packing were appropriate and that it wasn’t going to win their approval (which is what she wants).

She got angry at me for trying to dictate what she could wear and told me that since they said yes to me after I showed up already knocked up, they would definitely say yes to her. She ended up kicking me out and things were extremely awkward between us during the flight there since she was still angry at me.

We’re currently in the middle of the trip which has been a disaster but was I TA for saying the clothes weren’t appropriate?

I hate this whole family.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my friend I didn’t think the clothes she was packing were appropriate for her trip to meet my in-laws/her boyfriend’s family?

I hate this whole family.

I just want to make some popcorn and hear all about how it's a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

My (16M) mom has been worrying me

Oh no I think this is the first time I haha same'd a post in this thread