Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

idk I don't see that as a petty slam, just an unfunny joke

I don't think anyone would bat an eye at that if it wasn't written by Slott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
True but also gently caress Dan Slott

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dawgstar posted:

Is UK different from Spider-Punk?

Spider Punk was the original rejected design for Spider UK, but they loved it enough, they made him into his own character.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yeah man gently caress Dan Slott, such a talentless rear end in a top hat

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Seeing this was written by Slott, yeah, this really does come across as seriously petty. Or he thought he was being clever with that name-drop but doing it in that manner is just insulting.

And knowing nothing about these enemies, it kinda reads like Slott made some invincible army going around ripping people's prosthetics off of them?v We see what Gauntlet's arm looks like underneath the tech, so it seems like everyone wearing those needs it for good reason. I dunno, it just seems like Slott's idea this time is just gross as hell.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I think this is the 4th ancient unbeatable empire from beyond time event that Marvel's done in the past few years, after the Makers, the Ivory Kings and Knull. I'm not really counting the Cotati, mostly because I didn't read Empyre.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Sir this is the Empyre Appreciation Station how dare you just come in here and post that

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gauntlet's arm looks like that because it was literally stuck on him and it got ripped off it's not a prosthetic

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nilbop posted:

I think this is the 4th ancient unbeatable empire from beyond time event that Marvel's done in the past few years, after the Makers, the Ivory Kings and Knull. I'm not really counting the Cotati, mostly because I didn't read Empyre.

You know, thinking about it, Marvel's space civilizations could really use a few years off. Between all the invasions and wars and Annihilation Waves and whatnot, they desperately need some time to rebuild.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are there people that don’t think professor X is a jerk

YOU ARE THE JERK CHARLES, NOT THEM

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

YOU ARE THE JERK CHARLES, NOT THEM

Ororo please, use your inside voice.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wanderer posted:

You know, thinking about it, Marvel's space civilizations could really use a few years off. Between all the invasions and wars and Annihilation Waves and whatnot, they desperately need some time to rebuild.

It turns out that Earth is actually the safest place to be thanks to all the superheroes!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/the_infamous_gs/status/1525476141934465024?s=21&t=485zn-aYPDklX_DO1YvgvA

“Why doesn’t Ghost Rider just use the Penance Stare on Galactus?” is a question I never thought to ask

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

God I never get tired of that scene.

"Do you dare face the agony of those you have... slain?"

"Feel the torment of a billion billion... extinguished souls. Experience the pain... of eternal guilt."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It pisses me off no Marvel media has ever made Johnny Sorm as cool as he is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38VBv0ZenZU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Skwirl posted:

It pisses me off no Marvel media has ever made Johnny Sorm as cool as he is here.

It is true, this level of coolness was never adapted in other marvel properties.

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I beg to differ:

(From Daredevil #261)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also I saw the one shot that started this and is weird in that while it has some big names, only Slott has any real connection to spider man

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nilbop posted:

Yeah that does smack of pettiness. Actually to go a little further, anytime I see characters I associate with funny, lighthearted runs in a thoroughly mid so-serious story, particularly as victims or stooges, it instantly repels me from like, not just the comic, but *comics.*

I'm sure it happens in movies and stuff too, but I'm struggling to think of any examples right now.

Honestly, Slott's take on the Great Lakes Avengers always felt kind of mean-spirited to me - it had some fun jokes, but it always felt like it was more mocking the characters than laughing with them. So it doesn't really surprise me that he'd bring them back just to show them as incompetent losers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I also want to point out that almost every single character he's ever written has been written better since, or shortly before in the case of most of the FF

Edit: gently caress, between Marvel 2 in 1 and FF vs X-Men, I'm now pissed Zdarsky wasn't given the F4 reboot. I'm also annoyed Bendis didn't stick around to do more with Infamous Iron-Man Doom, but he was offered Superman, and whatever your opinion on that is, I can't blame someone as big a nerd as him for taking that job.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 15, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think it's also kind of hilarious that when Spider-Verse came out people produced that panel with Squirrel Girl talking about comics being places to escape to, not from. By one Dan Slott, IIRC.

Also it feels weird that Slott would even include Doreen there when she's living in NY, unless as mentioned he's salty over USG.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

It was kind of the death knell for that book. When people saw Paul Tobin was writing it they were expected light-hearted adventure like his Marvel Adventures Spider-Man books, but instead Anya's dad dies and she spends the entire first three issues dealing with that nd it's just impossible to get any momentum going that way.

DC did the exact same thing with the Blue Beetle. Everybody loved this new Blue Beetle who had a big extended family that supported him. New Blue Beetle series, issue one, they all die.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
At the risk of...I dunno, defending a notoriously mediocre writer or whatever, I feel like we're maaaybe sorta perhaps starting to project some notions onto Slott that we reeeaally can't be sure of :sweatdrop: Like, there are some vague-rear end impressions here being taken as ironclad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think he will survive people thinking he doesn’t like a character.

It will be hard sure, but he will manage without your sword

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He searches for his own name on Twitter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i feel like I'm missing some context here, did slott write squirrel girl at some point?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Slott did, he's the one who originated the bit where Squirrel Girl has beaten up every top level villain at some point or another when he was writing Great Lakes Avengers minis in the early aughts. Grasshopper (the guy getting his robot pants removed there) was also a GLA character, because this crossover is based on a bunch of things Dan Slott was writing over a decade ago. I'm reading that panel as basically a bad guy roughing up Spider-Man and then saying like "not so spectacular now, are we? I'd heard you were amazing"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Grasshopper is also a legacy character who tends to not survive his first appearance

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you know, technically this completely forgettable alien guy who stole grasshopper's pants is now the new grasshopper.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

Johnny Storm is singing a torch song about how he can't talk to girls and when he does, it makes him "flame on". the world is ready for a bisexual Human Torch.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Karma Tornado posted:

Slott did, he's the one who originated the bit where Squirrel Girl has beaten up every top level villain at some point or another when he was writing Great Lakes Avengers minis in the early aughts. Grasshopper (the guy getting his robot pants removed there) was also a GLA character, because this crossover is based on a bunch of things Dan Slott was writing over a decade ago. I'm reading that panel as basically a bad guy roughing up Spider-Man and then saying like "not so spectacular now, are we? I'd heard you were amazing"

The problem then is that Squirrel Girl's whole thing was showing up and somehow beating the toughest badguys because she has "lame" powers, but attempting to worf her like that is really just well now either the writer no longer getting the joke or they're being pissy that she's popular. It doesn't make the tough villains somehow look impressive and you'd think someone who was a long time writer would understand that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Slott ladies and gentlemen.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't deny that it's a sloppy attempt at playing up a villain and it doesn't work but I think the level of maliciousness people are getting out of it comes off as this thread's weird obsession with projecting every lovely thing they can think of onto Dan Slott

The guy is a dick, yes, but there's a level of perceived slight on behalf of another comics writer here that reads as folks just looking for things to get mad about. Like I said if anyone else had written that bit we'd all just roll our eyes and move on. Instead it has to be some kind of shot fired off the port bow at Ryan North?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

I don't deny that it's a sloppy attempt at playing up a villain and it doesn't work but I think the level of maliciousness people are getting out of it comes off as this thread's weird obsession with projecting every lovely thing they can think of onto Dan Slott

The guy is a dick, yes, but there's a level of perceived slight on behalf of another comics writer here that reads as folks just looking for things to get mad about. Like I said if anyone else had written that bit we'd all just roll our eyes and move on. Instead it has to be some kind of shot fired off the port bow at Ryan North?

It could be Slott just trying to be clever or throw in a gag.

But the way it comes across is as it's petty, especially since she isn't with the GLA anymore.

Like the only reason to throw that in is to nudge and wink at the audience, and it feels more like it's mean-spirited.

And Dan Slott has a history of using his comics to have characters voice things he doesn't like. Like when he was writing She-Hulk and retconned her sleeping with Juggernaut.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 15, 2022

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

After Slott's treatment of Franklin Richards, I don't think there's any depth of pettiness unfair to accuse him of reaching.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked in the Secret Wars: Siege mini there’s a word ballon of random chatter from the wall saying “Squirrel Girl is dead!” Then a few pages later you get another balloon “We were mistaken! Squirrel Girl is alive and well!” or whatever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think it's also kind of hilarious that when Spider-Verse came out people produced that panel with Squirrel Girl talking about comics being places to escape to, not from. By one Dan Slott, IIRC.

Also it feels weird that Slott would even include Doreen there when she's living in NY, unless as mentioned he's salty over USG.

Its one of the only good things he's ever done so it makes sense people would post it

BrianWilly posted:

At the risk of...I dunno, defending a notoriously mediocre writer or whatever, I feel like we're maaaybe sorta perhaps starting to project some notions onto Slott that we reeeaally can't be sure of :sweatdrop: Like, there are some vague-rear end impressions here being taken as ironclad.

Nah gently caress him

Potsticker posted:

The problem then is that Squirrel Girl's whole thing was showing up and somehow beating the toughest badguys because she has "lame" powers, but attempting to worf her like that is really just well now either the writer no longer getting the joke or they're being pissy that she's popular. It doesn't make the tough villains somehow look impressive and you'd think someone who was a long time writer would understand that.

Of course part of the joke is that Squirrel Girl's powers aren't even particularly lame, sure the whole "talks to squirrels" thing is the sort of Silver Age type power that mostly doesn't show up anymore except to make fun of but it's still a pretty useful power, and the rest of her power set is basically a blend of Spider-Man's and Wolverine's, people just tend to forget that because she's usually a nonviolent hero and usually manages to resolve issues without beating people up

Blockhouse posted:

Again gently caress him and anything he does

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah I don't like the guy's work that much either (especially FF) but there are a lot of people jumping to claim an unfunny joke as some sort of shade against Ryan North and/or the concept of people besides him writing a character he arguably kind of brought back to the limelight

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 15, 2022

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

given that this whole thing reads like he's had it in the can since like 2006 there's a nonzero chance Slott actually started the Squirrel Girl is unbeatable running gag in the first place entirely to have it pay off with an otherwise nondescript space villain beating her and then saying like "and here I'd heard this INSIGNIFICANT EARTH WHELP had actually DEFEATED the MAD TITAN" with an editor's note that said "it's true, the Watcher said so!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Karma Tornado posted:

given that this whole thing reads like he's had it in the can since like 2006 there's a nonzero chance Slott actually started the Squirrel Girl is unbeatable running gag in the first place entirely to have it pay off with an otherwise nondescript space villain beating her and then saying like "and here I'd heard this INSIGNIFICANT EARTH WHELP had actually DEFEATED the MAD TITAN" with an editor's note that said "it's true, the Watcher said so!!"

If anything that makes it worse