Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

the only thing Sinfest has provided so far this go-round is "we garkin'"

feels like a good avi

A wee garkin is Scots for a pickle according to that teen that wrote half the Scots wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Federal Election 2022: Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s $300k ‘baby boomer’ downsize plan (news.com.au). Kirribilli House is the second official residence of the PM in Sydney. The two Morrisons are from his claim that if he gets re-elected he will change into a kinder softer PM rather than be a bulldozer.

Downes:

Herbert:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Knight:

Broelman:

Former Australian cricketer Andrew Symonds killed in car crash (ABC).

Brown:

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Dr. VooDoo posted:

He can’t say it because he already signed off on buying it so his only way out of the deal without breaking it and being on the hook for a poo poo ton of money is by making increasingly insane Tweets hoping Twitter will call it off. But the Twitter shareholders know they will never have some as rich and dumb as Elon Musk again to overpay per share for the already massively overvalued garbage website again so they’re not gonna back off :laffo:
It's also pretty funny how he can't go too off the rails because if he posted something utterly career-ending like "boy I sure do hate those n*****s" or some poo poo his Tesla/SpaceX stock and therefore net worth would completely tank. So he's approaching it by posting poo poo designed to piss off Twitter specifically rather than the general public.

Edit: if I understand correctly, billionaires generally operate by taking on debt by using their shares as collateral, then getting a better ROI than whatever the interest rate is, so he can't afford to be hated.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 16, 2022

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I didn't see it in the OP, but can I post Eli Valley in here? He is a political cartoonist with a unique style, but he doesn't get a lot of syndication and I didn't want to post without checking first.

(Also he tends to get graphic with some comics, and I will black-bar any overly offending parts if needed.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's been posted plenty of times before, go ahead :justpost:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Islamic Shock posted:

It's also pretty funny how he can't go too off the rails because if he posted something utterly career-ending like "boy I sure do hate those n*****s" or some poo poo his Tesla/SpaceX stock and therefore net worth would completely tank. So he's approaching it by posting poo poo designed to piss off Twitter specifically rather than the general public.

Edit: if I understand correctly, billionaires generally operate by taking on debt by using their shares as collateral, then getting a better ROI than whatever the interest rate is, so he can't afford to be hated.

He can do whatever he wants, who's gonna stop him? He's the 2nd richest man in the world, he could blow up an orphanage on live TV and the response from the systems involved that are nominally charged with preventing this hypothetical would be to ensure it doesn't hurt anybody's bottom line because anything that can be leveraged against him can be leveraged against any of them. People would be mad about him online for like a week and then the world would forget about it because nobody's gonna actually look into it or go hard against him except the loony lefties and their podcast press.

But yes people like him aren't very liquid on paper which they will happily tell you, and yet they never seem to be short on money whenever they want another solid gold yacht.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The 2021 Kellies will be posted shortly. While you wait, here's something I wound up excluding that's worth a watch: a Q&A panel of several cartoonists, including Lalo Alcaraz and the late Don Asmussen, on responding to the Trump presidency in their medium.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

J.A.B.C. posted:

I didn't see it in the OP, but can I post Eli Valley in here? He is a political cartoonist with a unique style, but he doesn't get a lot of syndication and I didn't want to post without checking first.

(Also he tends to get graphic with some comics, and I will black-bar any overly offending parts if needed.)

I'm not aware of any rule against Valley, it's just Day by Day as far as I remember. If I'm wrong here I shall eat the time in catjail in your stead

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Alrighty!

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1525974731651878912?s=20&t=XJlahtUxRgSXtWPjt68J1Q

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That's probably the most restrained and tasteful Valley drawing I've ever seen.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's probably the most restrained and tasteful Valley drawing I've ever seen.

This was my first thought as well. My second thought was that adding censor bars to it would actually make it seem way more obscene than it actually is and would therefore be very funny

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean, yeah? That hole should really be covered up.

And what about Carmen? She seems to not be on her phone, and therefore by the strip's logic aware of her surroundings, and yet she didn't say anything to her supposed friend? What a piece of poo poo.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Epic High Five posted:

He can do whatever he wants, who's gonna stop him? He's the 2nd richest man in the world, he could blow up an orphanage on live TV and the response from the systems involved that are nominally charged with preventing this hypothetical would be to ensure it doesn't hurt anybody's bottom line because anything that can be leveraged against him can be leveraged against any of them. People would be mad about him online for like a week and then the world would forget about it because nobody's gonna actually look into it or go hard against him except the loony lefties and their podcast press.

But yes people like him aren't very liquid on paper which they will happily tell you, and yet they never seem to be short on money whenever they want another solid gold yacht.
You might be right in that it wouldn't affect him much materially (dude probably has more than enough squirreled away in Panama), but being that rich gives people the "number must go up" kind of brain-worms and I think number going down by 50% for a week would give him four simultaneous heart attacks. Yes the media would be working overtime to let everyone know those orphans were certainly no angels, but in the age of the Internet there's only so much damage control they can do.

Edit for relevance:
I'm curious if this very obvious line of attack (which Biden just handed to them) is going to convince anyone who hasn't already decided they hated Biden for having a D after his name.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 16, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You might be right in that it wouldn't affect him much materially (dude probably has more than enough squirreled away in Panama), but being that rich gives people the "number must go up" kind of brain-worms and I think number going down by 50% for a week would give him four simultaneous heart attacks. Yes the media would be working overtime to let everyone know those orphans were certainly no angels, but in the age of the Internet there's only so much damage control they can do.

I'm not disagreeing with you here in general, but imho Musk is in the tier of the Pillowguy when it comes to brainworms, where predicting anything is a fraught endeavor indeed because you're having to try to both predict what the rich guy brainworms do while also factoring in what all the other brainworms they have will do

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you here in general, but imho Musk is in the tier of the Pillowguy when it comes to brainworms, where predicting anything is a fraught endeavor indeed because you're having to try to both predict what the rich guy brainworms do while also factoring in what all the other brainworms they have will do
Fair enough. People who aren't born into billionaire status are a lot less easy to predict than, say, the Waltons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thank you all for your patience, the 2021 Kellies prizes have now been announced! Be prepared for absolutely no surprises with who won worst overall!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
...Black face cricket scandal?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Michael Ramirez

Onerous regulations against selling contaminated baby food.

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm curious if this very obvious line of attack (which Biden just handed to them) is going to convince anyone who hasn't already decided they hated Biden for having a D after his name.
Their big meme is that Joe has a crisis every week because they have to paint him not as a bad president, but the Worst Ever because conservatives deal in melodrama, so the disinformation thing is likely to be forgot about in another month unless Biden or the admin keep bringing it up.

It’s already fading behind the baby formula news, which is Bad Thing Actually Happening That They’re Gonna Blame on Biden which is already going into the dark place of “let babies have tainted food” which is only going to appeal to hardcore deregulation fetishists.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Also tariffs and trade restrictions aren't even related to this what the hell are you talking about Ramirez

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Also tariffs and trade restrictions aren't even related to this what the hell are you talking about Ramirez

The US imports very little infant formula; I know that a big factor is we've got really stringent manufacturing and labeling requirements compared to other countries, which is usually the main reason given for a lack of other imports.

There's supposedly a pretty high tariff on infant formula; it's part of the Cato Institute et al talking points on the subject, but mostly glossed over by other right wing sources since such a tariff is presumably intended to incentivize domestic development. I've not had the time to dig into how any formula tariff is structured (ingredients vs product itself, for instance) or what its actual effects are.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

lmao

Donald Trump, a man so famously accountable and responsible that he did a putsch and still refuses to acknowledge that he lost the election, sure makes ol’ Joe look like the hypocrite.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HootTheOwl posted:

...Black face cricket scandal?

Andrew Symonds was of African-Caribbean background, he wore white zinc on his lips while on the field to stop sunburn

Famously got no support from Cricket Australia when he was called a monkey by Indian crowds / an Indian player

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yes. The leak. And not the ruling!!! Not the actual court opinion! Just the leak.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yee

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: To the Action Mobile!

Ted Rall posted:

I have been saying for years that if anything could get liberals out into the street, and get their anger on, it would be the overturning of Roe v. Wade by the US Supreme Court. Now that’s going to happen. Yet the Democrats and liberals aren’t doing anything but complaining on social media.

First Dog on the Moon: Scott Morrison is sorry he was too good at his job, he is going to be a Changed Man

edit: the logo on Scott Morrison's front is the one designed for his own PM department's Women's Network.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 16, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"I never thought they'd eat me!" said triceratops who voted for the T-Rexes Eating Herbivores Party. AGC

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: To the Action Mobile!

Kellies Nomination: uh. what? :psyduck: Most Incomprehensible I guess I have a very tough time breaking through this one

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Just drawing lovely pictures with snarky words and posting them on the internet won't enact social change," I declare via the medium of...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Taking a brave stand against the “activism” of posting snarky words on social media by- dangit

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
To be more fair than Rall deserves, his job is snarky comics online. The job of politicians is to actually do something about it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Why are they always so eager to describe things as 'onerous' but never, instead, 'onanist.'

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Kikas posted:

Kellies Nomination: uh. what? :psyduck: Most Incomprehensible I guess I have a very tough time breaking through this one

Rall is mad that everyone else isn't out in the streets rioting and burning cop cars.

He himself, as a creator of art and agitprop, is too important to risk his talents and life on the streets.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Conservatives freaking out about the formula shortage and somehow blaming it on Biden is such bullshit. There’s a shortage because Capitalism decided baby formula wasn’t very profitable so only three companies in the entire country produce it. That’s the invisible hand of the free market! It’s what you wanted!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s also because a corporation thought it could cit corners on safety measures, because Capitalism only cares about making a number ever-larger.

They are now pivoting to claim that no formula from the factory in question was contaminated, but uh….they still are following regulations and have the bacteria in the loving factory. Even if they aren’t lying to score sick political dunks, would they be comfortable eating at a place with rats and roaches running through the kitchen if the food hasn’t shown contamination yet?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Good to see Rall ignoring actual protests against the decision, protests that the entire rest of the right-wing have been dramatically clutching their pearls over, just like he ignored other protests to make one of his lovely non-points in an earlier comic about Ukraine just a few weeks ago.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I keep telling the right-wing that they can have Rall for free, to do with as they please.
You'd think even a small a free victory would be enough for them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: Scott Morrison is sorry he was too good at his job, he is going to be a Changed Man

edit: the logo on Scott Morrison's front is the one designed for his own PM department's Women's Network.

lol How does this get through all the people it has to before going public without one person going "Uhhh..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings: the harp and the lyre – Boris Johnson is due to travel to Belfast on Monday amid the escalating crisis over the Northern Ireland protocol"

Telegraph:

Ukraine favourites and Russia banned, Eurovision 2022 gets political again

Independent:

Eurovision: Sam Ryder speaks out after ‘destroying stigma’ as UK finishes in second place

Times:

Eurovision 2022 won by Ukraine’s Kalush Orchestra (Moldova was my fave.)

Evening Standard:

Super blood Moon: First lunar eclipse of 2022 seen around the world