Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My pants of choice were the Arc'teryx Perimeter but they're discontinued. Now I run a lot of stuff from Beyond Clothing as their hiking pants are relatively similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks for the recommendations everybody, will check all of those out. Have a job interview tomorrow so the costco pants are going to put in some work, whenever I finally get a new job I'll invest in some of the options you all mentioned.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Duvel posted:

Bonus most have a leg side pocket on the right side for a phone.

But phones go in the left pocket? :confused:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yeah, technical clothing is probably going to be the way to go, with the pros being all the things you want and the cons being low durability and high cost. ExOfficio has been mentioned already, and I have some RailRiders pants and long sleeve shirts that I've used extensively in hot weather in tick-infested woods

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

But phones go in the left pocket? :confused:

Not mine, but then again, I'm left-handed, so keys in right pocket, phone and card holder in right pocket.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Got the job I interviewed for so time to buy some pants! The Duluth ones in particular look awesome since I might be able to use them for more than just going into the office.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Inspector 34 posted:

Got the job I interviewed for so time to buy some pants! The Duluth ones in particular look awesome since I might be able to use them for more than just going into the office.

Congrats! Nth-ing the Duluth recommendation, they can seem pricey but they are good quality and versatile.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I actually bought some last night, will report back once they arrive!

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Any recommendations for a small black and white printer that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? Probably won’t be used a whole lot but my mom can’t let go of the idea of printing stuff occasionally.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

tumblr hype man posted:

Any recommendations for a small black and white printer that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? Probably won’t be used a whole lot but my mom can’t let go of the idea of printing stuff occasionally.

I have developed a seething passionate hatred for inkjet printers, so I switched to a monochrome Brother laser printer years ago and have never regretted it. For only occasional use, inkjet printers would always have dried-out cartridges when I actually needed them. Laser printer cartridges are more expensive but last waaaay longer and I've never had one dry out on me.

I really like having scanning but if you don't need that then a single-function model like the Brother HL-L2350DW will still give you duplex and wireless printing for around $160.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 23:32 on May 4, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yah, get a Brother laser with the least amount of features you need. I have a wireless one that'll automatically print from my phone, which is cool.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I also have a Brother printer on Wi-Fi and even my wife and kids are able to print on it from their phones or computer without me having to help. Very recommend

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I saved a monochrome brother laser printer from work's ewaste pile like 4 years ago and it has still been working fine for me, it's still using the toner cartridge that was in it when I salvaged it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

This is the way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I have had a brother printer for 4 years and bought a bootleg toner cartridge two-pack for like 12 bucks and still haven't used the second one from the pack lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I endlessly love my Brother HLL2395DW that I bought for $150 and just does all the stuff

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The best part is, if it says to replace either the drum or toner, but you're not seeing any image issues, are still happy with the print quality, or just don't care, you can easily reset either one.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Posting to remind myself to pick up one of those the next time my HP shits the bed (hopefully soon). Literally the most infuriating product I've ever bought.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Seriously we switched to a Brother after years of dealing with an annoying HP printer and it’s sooo worth it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Got my Duluth Firehose pants today, they're pretty nice and very comfortable! Been a long time since I regularly wore something other than jeans.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any recommendations on some under the cabinet lights? I had a few of these here but they stopped holding a charge only after one year. I've only charged them 3 times during its lifetime. So it's a bit frustrating.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Anyone have any recommendations for unbreakable coasters? My husband has managed to break three stone ones in six months. I have some rubber ones with geometric patterns on them, but I don't but I got them so long ago, I'm not sure if I could get more.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Maigius posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for unbreakable coasters? My husband has managed to break three stone ones in six months. I have some rubber ones with geometric patterns on them, but I don't but I got them so long ago, I'm not sure if I could get more.

The gently caress is he doing with your coasters? You should be able to get silicone coasters at any Walmart or Target or on Amazon.
I have something similar to these and they do the job:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SANWOOD-...47?athbdg=L1700

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Wooden or leather coasters are also a non-brittle option, although you probably want to consider what kind of glasses you're using them for. Those that will produce a lot of condensation won't be great on leather, for example, but hot drinks would be fine.

And get your husband to stop throwing the coaters, drat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Talk to me about waterproof backpacks. I have a tiny Mission Workshop one that's great but now I'm going to an office again and need something of a more standard size.

Hopefully something under $100.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I need some recommendations for collared shirts.

Short sleeve, button up or pull over. Something not plain.

Work asked us to stop wearing t-shirts which I get but my whole wardrobe from a previous job was dress shirts and I don't want to go back to that.

Usually I'd just hit GAP or something but curious if there's better options out there. Ship to Canada preferably.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

m.hache posted:

I need some recommendations for collared shirts.

Short sleeve, button up or pull over. Something not plain.

Work asked us to stop wearing t-shirts which I get but my whole wardrobe from a previous job was dress shirts and I don't want to go back to that.

Usually I'd just hit GAP or something but curious if there's better options out there. Ship to Canada preferably.

I'm a big fan of the uniqlo linen button downs. Cheap when they go on sale (often), easy to maintain, breath really well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Bonobos' Riviera shirts are very good, but it's definitely something I buy when they go on sale.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

I'm a big fan of the uniqlo linen button downs. Cheap when they go on sale (often), easy to maintain, breath really well.
It’s been a while since I pulled out my Uniqlo linens but linen shirts are a pain in the rear end. They look good except when they get all wrinkly, and they wrinkle extremely easily.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I put this off for way too long. I went to install my old air conditioner since it's getting to be 80-90 lately and when I went to clean it out before turning it on, found it was absolutely full of black mold. glad I didn't plug it in before checking!

I decided enough is enough, I want the best available, and unless I'm missing some other top shelf air conditioner, the Midea U-shaped air conditioner is one of the best on the market, right? we ship a shitload of them at UPS so it's definitely one of the most popular ones, at least.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I put this off for way too long. I went to install my old air conditioner since it's getting to be 80-90 lately and when I went to clean it out before turning it on, found it was absolutely full of black mold. glad I didn't plug it in before checking!

I decided enough is enough, I want the best available, and unless I'm missing some other top shelf air conditioner, the Midea U-shaped air conditioner is one of the best on the market, right? we ship a shitload of them at UPS so it's definitely one of the most popular ones, at least.

Seems so.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-air-conditioner/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Headed to the beach with the wife and baby next week. Any going recommendations on what all to bring? I haven’t been in a decade or so.

Got some folding chairs, a waterproof picnic blanket deal with stakes that ought to hopefully stay in place, and a kite or two. Still need to sort out a umbrella or other shade generator. Any suggestions?

E - Also some place that sells cheap Hawaiian shirts that I can wear with a tank top undershirt like a real piece is poo poo would be appreciated.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sunscreen and a nice Hawaiian shirt is all you need.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Warbird posted:

Headed to the beach with the wife and baby next week. Any going recommendations on what all to bring? I haven’t been in a decade or so.

Got some folding chairs, a waterproof picnic blanket deal with stakes that ought to hopefully stay in place, and a kite or two. Still need to sort out a umbrella or other shade generator. Any suggestions?

E - Also some place that sells cheap Hawaiian shirts that I can wear with a tank top undershirt like a real piece is poo poo would be appreciated.

ONIVA - a Picnic Time Brand Manta Portable Pop-up Sun/Wind Shelter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079YQQM7S/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_59FQSW3AP6W6RT8GFASR

We've been using something like this since our kid was 2. It just pops open, and you just have to stake it down/ sand bag it. It's small enough that I can bike with it.

The fold up is quick... once you get the hang of it. If you do get it, practice the fold up a few times before you go to the beach. We still forget at a step or two at the start of the season and it ends up being a bit of a chore to find the video to follow along.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

That's good for just the babe, but all my friends have been getting these Neso Shades. They're spandex and fold down pretty small because the counterweights are just bags you fill with sand when you get there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s pretty slick. I’ll have to look into it a bit more if going back become a thing. I haven’t personally been to the coast in nearly a decade (and don’t honestly enjoy it) but if the kid takes to it I could be down with one of those more elaborate deals.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Depending on where you’re going you might see if there’s a place you can rent a beach umbrella. The commercial-grade ones are substantially nicer and renting a day or two might be quite cheap

Ex: the rental place we use on vacation is $40/week for a nice umbrella

Warbird
May 23, 2012

35 $/day courtesy of the city of Myrtle Beach.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Doing a weekend getaway with a two-month old baby, and his usual bassinet is too big for us to bring along. Anyone have any sort of travel-friendly sleep setup for a baby that young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

For two months? Honestly the ol’ open dresser drawer method might be valid. Though that may not be considered safe these days. Check Wirecutter to see if they have a recommended model.