Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Do any of those mods fix the initiative issue I have with Battletech? The rigid initiative order just bothers me so much. In the boardgame it was fun to be a light mech and get in and do some behind damage, then zoom out of there before the heavy/assault turned around and smoked you, but sometimes you didn't get away in time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Neat Machine posted:

My Elden Ring post is that I'd like to play a game that has good build variety / theorycrafting, or just a really solid open-ended RPG.

Caves of Qud is the roguelike for you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The General posted:

Do any of those mods fix the initiative issue I have with Battletech? The rigid initiative order just bothers me so much. In the boardgame it was fun to be a light mech and get in and do some behind damage, then zoom out of there before the heavy/assault turned around and smoked you, but sometimes you didn't get away in time...

Sort of. They all fix that exact problem but they all do it in different ways - light mechs are definitely viable in all 3 cases.

I'm most familiar with BTA3065 which doesn't have major changes to Initiative (it breaks it out into 10 stages instead of 5 and adds a bunch of gear/pilot skills that can raise a mech to a higher stage) but it makes light mechs viable with a rework of the Evasion system (evasion is far stronger, doesn't get removed by being shot at - only by standing still, being made Unsteady by ballistics/melee/missiles, or Sensor Locks), a rework of ECM and visibility (Sensor locks being important, more ECM-related equipment, lots of assistive utility equipment like TAGs to make recon/spotter units strong), and just allowing much more flexible mech customization in general than vanilla so you can specialize your light mechs in things (also it has Clan mechs).

Roguetech also uses 10 initiative levels has initiative being slightly randomized so a specific mech's initiative level is more of where it trends than where it always ends up. It also has enormous changes to visibility and ECM that I don't even begin to understand, and ECM/spotter mechs play an enormous role in it. It has a severe learning curve if you don't already understand all of the tabletop mechanics.

Also they all expand the number of drop slots to 8 instead of 4, and they add vehicles you can bring along in addition to those 8 mechs. My strongest and most memorable team was 4 light mechs spotting for 4 heavy artillery tanks that shot from out of sight and 4 medium/heavy mechs defending the tanks. They also give you far more enemies to kill in missions with your expanded drop capacity :getin:

They even have helicopters and the weird battletech VTOL transformer plane mechs in the mods these days.

e: Here's the official BTA faq covering most of what it changes:
https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 7, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
My biggest problem with battletech, aside from the initiative thing, is that there was no reason to do anything with the factions. The best strategy was just to get in nice with the pirate faction since they would have all the best equipment for sale. If you wanted to "choose a house" it was pointless since all of them were the same with no story changes regardless of which you chose.

The missions were also pretty bland with the enemy layouts being virtually identical in all of them, also pilot development was extremely shallow, and they never became interesting characters. Also Death from Above wasn't nearly as good as it sounded.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Every common complaint about Battletech is addressed in various ways by the 3 big mods. Roguetech features a literal live pseudo-multiplayer galaxy map where doing missions with and allying with factions allows those factions to conquer and take over planets, and everyone's progress toward faction control of the galaxy map is shared, so you are actually fighting to take over territory for your chosen faction. (No actual multiplayer battles of course). They all significantly increase the mech variety including faction-specific mechs, and BTA overhauls all of the shops and faction shops so that each faction has distinct gear for sale that you need to ally with a faction to unlock. They all turn COMSTAR into an actual faction of fascist police dicks that can be fought as an end-game enemy, they all add Clan factions (though you can't ally with the clans). There's not exactly any deep diplomacy and allying with a faction still isn't much more than earning access to their unique shops by doing a bunch of missions for them but :shrug:

e: BTA has a pretty good guide and FAQ covering most of their changes from Vanilla:
https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Beginner%27s_Guide
https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions

You can have a squad of battle armor troopers ride on a mech's back into battle, then leap off and mount an enemy mech and roast them with point-blank flamethrowers :allears:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 7, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

deep dish peat moss posted:

Every common complaint about Battletech is addressed in various ways by the 3 big mods.

My biggest complaint (in my estimation halfway-ish through the campaign, at which point I gave up) was that skills were super necessary. This made pilots were super valuable as compared to mechs. I want to be hosing the red smear out of these cockpits and putting the next dumbfuck in there, not being heavily encouraged to save scum because people started spawning with AC20s and if I don't have someone with Bulwark or whatever, they just absolutely suck. Do the big mods change that? You say non-assaults are viable, which makes me think it might.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Need a new tactics timesink, strategy layer optional but a "nice-to-have"

Played Battletech, JA1+2, XCOM 1/+2/+OG+TFTD/+3 and currently burning out on gears tactics that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

E: Oh, and Wasteland 3. Loved it. Hated wasteland 2 though.

MassiveSky fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 7, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

My biggest complaint (in my estimation halfway-ish through the campaign, at which point I gave up) was that skills were super necessary. This made pilots were super valuable as compared to mechs. I want to be hosing the red smear out of these cockpits and putting the next dumbfuck in there, not being heavily encouraged to save scum because people started spawning with AC20s and if I don't have someone with Bulwark or whatever, they just absolutely suck. Do the big mods change that? You say non-assaults are viable, which makes me think it might.

I didn't play enough of the unmodded game to know what it's like there, but at least in Battletech Advanced (the only one I can speak for with nuance)

• Any pilot can be useful with a single level of Tactics to get Sensor Lock - someone with Sensor Lock in a light mech is always useful, no matter what else they can do
  • There are various equipment types for mechs that will trade weight for increased pilot survivability - your top-end pilots by late-game tend to have full electronic warfare suites, reinforced cockpits, M.A.S.C. to sprint faster and avoid enemy fire, etc.
    (Mech customization is HIGHLY expanded over vanilla - you'll be shoving in XL engines that take up more slots but less weight so you can stuff in more utility and survival goodies, more weapons, etc, plus you can upsize/downsize your engine that way for more flexibility)
  • ECM is no longer just an abstracted 'stealth' mechanic but is a way of making your mech(s) harder to hit, increasing their survivability
  • You end up bringing 12 pilots on each mission (8 mechs, 4 vehicles) so one lost pilot is overall a much smaller part of your fighting force, and you also have more units available to come to the aid of someone who's taking a beating.
  • There's a Pilot Injury system which means pilots can receive injuries other than "Death", so when you "lose" a pilot it's not always permanent death
  • There's a (100% optional during installation) set of developer insert named pilots that join you early on and have unique skills, voices and events attached to them. They're slightly dorky but :shrug: they help fill out your roster of useful pilots right from the start.
  • Because of things like re-worked terrain/height advantage, re-worked ranges, etc. it is more possible to "outplay" the enemy if you play your cards right, minimizing risk (it's also more possible for them to outplay you though!)
  • There are two different difficulty options selected when installing the mod - on one, the contracts on whatever planet you are on will always scale to your approximate power level, so e.g. if you lose half your squad and are suddenly much weaker, the missions will adjust to match by the end of the month. I prefer the OG difficulty settings though because they let you farm salvage on planets weaker than you or take on bigger forces when you're feeling cocky.
  • The Training Sims upgrade for the Argo is much stronger than vanilla and gives pretty decent amounts of exp to reserve pilots, so you're building up a force of reserves without actually using them in missions
  • You also get a complete difficulty customization screen when starting a new save that lets you do things like adjust pilot leveling speeds (you can make the early levels faster and the late levels slower if you want, or make them all faster, whatever)

That being said, pilot skill still goes a long way and leveled up pilots are significantly stronger than rookie pilots in things like accuracy, maneuverability and evasion - if you somehow lost all of your high-end pilots it would be a major blow that would force you back into low-skull missions for a while. BUT all the skills are rebalanced too so you don't 100% need e.g. the 3rd Gunnery skill that let you target specific body parts (That's actually part of Tactics now instead of Gunnery and it makes a lot more sense there, where going for it is a tradeoff between accuracy from Gunnery skill and targeting specific body parts with called shots from Tactics).

MassiveSky posted:

Played Battletech, JA1+2, XCOM 1/+2/+OG+TFTD/+3 and currently burning out on gears tactics that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

The new WH40k Chaos Gate game sounds good, I haven't played it yet but there are overall really positive reactions to it in the Steam thread and it's being compared to "Gears Tactics except they made an actual full game out of it" (I didn't play Gears Tactics either so I don't know what that means)

But I will recommend Battle Brothers, it's definitely one of the best "manage a crew of disposable soldiers through tactical battles" games - it has a bit of a learning curve but it's very fair.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 7, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MassiveSky posted:

Ok, without knowing more specifically what you're looking for, I'm just going to list a bunch of games in that vein that either (a) I played and enjoyed; (b) I played and didn't enjoy that much, but think they're still worth taking a look at; or (c) I haven't played but have heard good things about.

More like New X-COM (relatively small groups of highly differentiated characters): Warhammer 40K Mechanicus, Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, Fae Tactics, Ticket to Earth
More like Old X-COM (relatively large groups of mostly generic characters): Wargroove, Battle for Wesnoth

These are all on PC, but on console there are a lot of classic games in this vein you didn't mention playing, like FF Tactics and the Tactics Ogre, Advance Wars, Super Robot Wars, and Front Mission series.

If you enjoyed WL3 it might also be worth looking at other party-based RPGs with crunchy combat, like the Avernum, Geneforge, and Shadowrun series.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 7, 2022

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Thanks guys, will take a look. Mechanicus looks interesting!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MassiveSky posted:

Thanks guys, will take a look. Mechanicus looks interesting!

That's one of the ones I played and I enjoyed it a lot, although towards the end my party was hilariously overpowered and I just steamrolled the last 20% or so of the game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MassiveSky posted:

Have you played XCOM Chimera Squad? Also, Phoenix Point.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Oh right, that reminds me, since they enjoyed OG X-COM they should definitely checkout Xenonauts, which is very much a spiritual remake of it.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Already plenty of recommendations, but Urtuk wasn't mentioned and that's a shame, it's a really good game.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MassiveSky posted:

Already tons of good recs but I'm going to suggest something completely different. If you haven't played it yet, try Into the Breach. It's more of a game for short sessions of quintessential tactics, so much less complex. Definitely scratching the same itch as other games you mentioned

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I keep reading great things about Troubleshooter though I haven't made the time to try it out myself.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Already tons of good recs but I'm going to suggest something completely different. If you haven't played it yet, try Into the Breach. It's more of a game for short sessions of quintessential tactics, so much less complex. Definitely scratching the same itch as other games you mentioned

Yeah, I have a weird relationship with that game. I pick *my optimal squad* and can't bring myself to try the others because I feel like I'm gimping myself.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Played Chimera Squad. Is phoenix point good?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Phetz posted:

I keep reading great things about Troubleshooter though I haven't made the time to try it out myself.

I don't want to say anything bad about Troubleshooter because the people who like it really like it, but from the 2 hours I tried of it, it's more like a linear, narrative-driven RPG with x-com style combat. The characters are all unique and have their own skill trees. There's an absurd amount of dialog (2 hours was enough time to do like, 3 missions that took ~10 minutes of actual playtime each). It does seem like it has some cool build variety stuff going on where you can respec each of the large cast of unique characters among their multiple unique skill trees and equip a ton of items (none of the items looked particularly interesting in that early stretch of the game though, just stat boosts). There wasn't any strategic layer stuff that I saw in two hours beyond a between-missions shop/menu screen and huge, huge amounts of dialog. The missions weren't randomly generated at least as far as I played, but I think you can maybe replay the story missions with random enemy placement? Or the enemy placement is slightly randomized? Something like that.

e: Also it is incredibly anime. It takes place in a near-future supervillain-filled city, the main protagonist is named Albus Bernstein and his best friend is named Sion Bloodwalker.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 7, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
X-Com with no strategic layer, a fixed squad, and more robust build customization sounds like an improvement. The only way you could win me over harder would be to tell me the combat is more deterministic. :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm afraid not, it had some pretty whack hit chance stuff going on early on. I don't at all mean to imply that it's a bad game because it seems very competent and has inspired a fanbase, it just wasn't for me (mostly because waaaaaay too much dialog that my ADHD-riddled brain can't handle) and is probably a departure from the kind of game MassiveSky posted about

e: I also struggled a lot with its particular brand of translation goofs, it's one of those games that sort of makes up its own vocabulary for everything instead of using conventional genre terminology and a lot of it was fairly unintuitive, it was overwhelming trying to remember what menu options took you to what actual menu screens. The text popups saying effectively "This button takes you to your inventory" would be several paragraphs long and obtusely worded. Not a dealbreaker but it contributed to me refunding :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 7, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MassiveSky posted:

Played Chimera Squad. Is phoenix point good?

Yeah. It's a little janky but has some really great ideas and mechanics. It feels like og xcom through a modern lens. The shooting is great; it isn't percentages, it's actual bullet spread cones and physical cover. You can even manually aim to try and get a better hit on someone behind their cover.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

X-Com with no strategic layer, a fixed squad, and more robust build customization sounds like an improvement. The only way you could win me over harder would be to tell me the combat is more deterministic. :v:

Chimera Squad seems right up your alley

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Troubleshooter is pretty good if you like build customization - there's seven billion skills that you can unlock, mix and match for your dudes. There's also eleven thousand different interlocking mechanics and like a trillion missions, there's really a lot of game. It has nothing in common with XCOM though, it's more of a strategy-jrpg in vein of FFT or Disgaea.

But seconding that it's extremely anime, and it loves to waste your time with its nonsense plot that I couldn't force myself to care about. Also doesn't help that 90% of characters wear masks and have identical models, so it's pretty much impossible to follow.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Weird request: my powerful PC poo poo the bed so I'm on a lovely laptop. I was really into stuff like Snowrunner, Truck Simulator/Train Simulator and was wondering if there's anything like that, maybe 2D or pixel based but neither are requirements, that can run on a lovely laptop. I've been playing OpenTTD but wanna actually drive trucks and/or trains myself.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Kvlt! posted:

Weird request: my powerful PC poo poo the bed so I'm on a lovely laptop. I was really into stuff like Snowrunner, Truck Simulator/Train Simulator and was wondering if there's anything like that, maybe 2D or pixel based but neither are requirements, that can run on a lovely laptop. I've been playing OpenTTD but wanna actually drive trucks and/or trains myself.

GTA 1 & 2

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

These are good games, also free.

https://gta.com.ua/rockstargames-classics-free-download.phtml

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

Got another one of my tricky requests, let's see what ya'll goons can come up with.

Absolute baseline, I am thoroughly, just utterly exhausted with Modern Gaming Junk at the moment. That is to say, I am very, very tired of RPG elements, progression mechanics, unlock systems, collectibles, achievements, etc. Because I get extremely wrapped up in that stuff so basically when 100% completion isn't a totally insane chore (ie, that old Ghost Recon game where one of the achievements is to be ranked #1 in the multiplayer, I'm not dumb enough to chase stuff like that just for its own sake) I get hyper invested in it and now I'm burnt out on all of it after playing too many roguelikes/roguelites in quick succession. ...The problem is that even a lot of low-key indie games have things of that nature. :sweatdrop: Hell, even that new Kirby game has those side challenges that would likely drive me up the wall.

Additional wants:

- PC, ideally nothing super brand spanking new that's gonna tax my machine or is gonna cost $60 up front. I own...entirely too many games already so if you suggest something a little older there's genuinely a 90% chance I already have it. Not that I mind spending :10bux: on some cute indie thing if it comes down to it.

- Doesn't have to be super easy casual in terms of overall difficulty, but should be accessible and easy to get into. Casual-friendly vs. just casual, I guess. Like, ignoring that it has those dreaded unlocks and achievements to worry about, Into the Breach isn't an easy game, but it's quick to get into a run compared to something like XCOM.

- I want something in the middle between mindless and mentally taxing. No simulator games (too repetitive, often mindless and often have some kind of progression system to chip away at) and I'd prefer something that's not a point and click adventure game (I own an endless number of them already and don't really need recommendations).

- In general I'm not big on "make your own fun" games. Sandbox stuff, or even stuff like SimCity is a hard sell even if those can otherwise be relaxing.

- I like exploration but...most exploratory games by their nature involve one or more of the things I'm explicitly trying to avoid.

- Narrative isn't a requirement, but is appreciated.

Kingdoms and Castles is a fun little city/castle builder sort of in the vein of the Anno series, but with more of a focus on balancing your economy with military defense, as you're invaded by vikings/dragons periodically. I wouldn't say it's a make-your-own-fun game because of this. Other than that and the lack of narrative, it hits all of your requests, especially the middle ground between mindless and mentally taxing. It's very much a game that you can go into without any kind of serious pre-planning, but then you realize that one of your little neighborhoods will run more efficiently if you tweak the building placement a little bit. It can feel a little bit to me like a very well-executed idle game (even though it really isn't, but it tickles the same part of my brain). I'd highly recommend it to just about anyone. I like it in the same way I like Dungeon Keeper 2, Majesty, or Anno.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
This is a good thread and I will make another request.

We were briefly discussing these settings and genres in the Management Games thread, but is there anything out there like Dawn of Man in which you are leading or managing a small group of prehistoric humans? Something with a very local focus and not like the cultural/civilization development in Civ games. Sumerians was recommended to me and I like it but I'm looking for something pre-agricultural or perhaps during the transition from hunter-gather/pastoralism to agriculture.

Also, any decent games like Sim Life? Or evolution simulators in general? I've seen a few on Steam but they have mixed reviews at best. I don't mind a fishtank experience, but most of what I see is a mediocre to bad simulation engine wrapped in a horrible UI.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Also, any decent games like Sim Life? Or evolution simulators in general? I've seen a few on Steam but they have mixed reviews at best. I don't mind a fishtank experience, but most of what I see is a mediocre to bad simulation engine wrapped in a horrible UI.

It’s not quite Sim Life, but in terms of “create an environment conducive to life” there’s Tyto Ecology, a neat little game where you develop a biome with plants/herbivores/carnivores/etc and try to get a stable ecological pocket going. Nothing actually evolves though, it’s more about creating a balanced and diverse ecosystem than anything else.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Has any shop-keep game given that feeling of having a relationship with the town and your customers and vice versa as well as Recettear?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

PantsBandit posted:

Has any shop-keep game given that feeling of having a relationship with the town and your customers and vice versa as well as Recettear?

Might want to ask in Management Games https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084

There are plenty of folks there who have played Recettar.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Might want to ask in Management Games https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084

There are plenty of folks there who have played Recettar.

Fair enough, wish someone would take another crack at it! Recettear was an engrossing, unique experience.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess Moonlighter is as similar an experience to Recettear as any game I've seen.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

What games have the best Itano Circus moments?

I've been playing a lot of Sky Force lately and desire a lot more missile spam. Doesn't need to be a vertical shooter necessarily, but I'm not sure how another genre would handle it.

Doesn't matter if its a consumable item like a traditional bomb, on a cooldown or some sort of boss-finishing execution move. I just want lots of missiles.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vadun posted:

I've been playing a lot of Sky Force lately and desire a lot more missile spam. Doesn't need to be a vertical shooter necessarily, but I'm not sure how another genre would handle it.

Doesn't matter if its a consumable item like a traditional bomb, on a cooldown or some sort of boss-finishing execution move. I just want lots of missiles.

Nova Drift is an excellent roguelite Asteroids with a lot of weapon and build variety, and one of the weapons is a very fun swarm missile. Controls take a little getting used to (you aim with your mouse and can only move in the direction you're aiming) but it works in the game's favor, it would be a very different game with a different control scheme.

I don't know if any of the trailers show the swarm missile but it has many weapon types that end up feeling similar even if they're not missiles:
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256746274/movie480.webm?t=1553682807

e: You can see a little bit of missiles at around 10sec in this one

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 16, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vadun posted:

Pretty sure Strike Suit Zero fits the bill.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Vadun posted:

The classic example is Bangai-O but it's a Dreamcast game so not an easy one to find unless you're okay with emulation.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

PantsBandit posted:

I guess moonlighter, as mentioned, is probably the closest. I wasn’t a huuuge fan but it’s definitely hewing close to the formula. My impression is some Atelier games might but be in this vein but I haven’t played them.

I feel like the best bet to get the town vibe is to give up on shop keeping and do stardew 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

PantsBandit posted:

Fair enough, wish someone would take another crack at it! Recettear was an engrossing, unique experience.

Sigh you ran into a discussion of Transport Fever 2 which could go on for awhile so hopefully some folks can help out here as well. I feel bad now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vadun posted:

Warframe has Seeker Volley for its Railjack game mode, but it's a relatively small content island in a massive F2P quasi-MMO.

Risk of Rain 2 has a bunch of items that make you constantly poo poo missiles every time you breathe but they usually fire sequentially, even if very quickly.

Various MechWarrior games, naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

tildes posted:

I guess moonlighter, as mentioned, is probably the closest. I wasn’t a huuuge fan but it’s definitely hewing close to the formula. My impression is some Atelier games might but be in this vein but I haven’t played them.

I feel like the best bet to get the town vibe is to give up on shop keeping and do stardew 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

My biggest issue with moonlighter is the shop felt more like a visual representation of something that could've just been done through a UI. It never really felt like I had much of a connection with it.

As far as Stardew, I did really like the aspect of building up your farm over time. That said the village fell flat for me. I don't really like the aspect of wake up, walk to town, give the character you're trying to bang their favorite flower or whatever, return. It made the villagers feel like puppets you'd pull the string on when you wanted something.

In Recettear the unique characters would come into your shop from time to time when they needed something, and if you didn't have it for them then oh well! And maybe they'd stop to have a chat while they browsed. It made it feel like you were a little social lynch-pin for the town.

Ultimately it's all gamified in different ways, for whatever reason Recettear just disguises it the best.