Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erg posted:

don't the trust reworks mean this game is on the way to being 99.9% single player

Not quite.

You can finish MSQ dungeons in ShB/EW/ARR and soon HW and SB but not trials or alliance raids. I've found that for people who have Dungeon Stress, trials and alliance raids are usually worse because there's more room to screw up. It's still a huge step forward but with one notably exception in EW you still need to find a group, and they mentioned the EW exception was so taxing you shouldn't expect to see it anytime soon.

Trials in particular are probably one of the worst because if you wipe there it's a much bigger waste of time than a dungeon. That is why people get so salty over Titania or EWT1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

you'll note i did not say 100% but yeah fair point on raids being scary as a concept

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Yeah, they're taking some lessons from FFXI about keeping people subbing long after the population falls too low to reliably do group content for any given chunk of an enormous selection of content

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't they they explicitly ruled out giving more trials the level 89 treatment, but it sounded like if they did it, it would be quite a bit further down the road. Definitely something that would benefit latecomers much more than anyone playing the game right now that might appeal to.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Thanks to the people who gave me WAR advice last week. I cracked Silver 2 this evening.

My mistake was focusing on doing damage as a WAR and not setting up my teammates to do damage. Once I learned to isolate targets with Pull and pop my LB when the Dragoon's about to jump, things clicked. When I lost, I wasn't frustrated because I knew what I did wrong and worked on it the next game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Erg posted:

don't the trust reworks mean this game is on the way to being 99.9% single player

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/ffxiv-trust-system-realm-reborn-heavensward-stormblood-msq/

e: they noted 8 man duties and above can't get that treatment so :shrug:

yeah, and it's pretty cool

and I don't mind doing some dungeons with other people sometimes, this is still way better than warcraft

but there's not a session where I'm healing that goes by that I'm not thinking of when I pushed white mage to 90 so I could do my role quests

(and this was mostly accomplished by roulette, which in turn meant that 90% of the instances I got would be level 50 or below)

until the time I was level 84 and got queued into the 83 trial, expecting yet another ifrit or something

it was a shitshow, because the number of instances I'd ever been in where I had skills higher than level fifty, I could probably count on both hands. I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, much less able to do it while doing those mechanics

idk. i know the response to this is "learn how your poo poo works," but I barely have time to play the game as is, let alone to sit through a bunch of youtube tutorials and go off somewhere and practice poo poo

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Yeah, I just play WAR in my one daily casual match because it's the one I can wrap my head around. What I've learned playing:

1. Your HP is not your HP. Your HP is your one shot protection and your MP is your HP. When you're out of mana, retreat and chug.
2. As WAR, your combo hits just tickle and annoy. Your burst tool: Primal Rend into a group and dump a cloud of burst damage/debuffs with Orogeny -> Bloodwhetting -> Cyclone, then be real hard to kill for a while.
3. Your other tool, dragging people out of position and making them think you're a threat. Yank people running for a health pickup. Yank people into stage hazards. In overtime, advance on the enemy spawn point and Heavy anyone scrambling for the crystal. If they stay to fight, Guard and laugh and die and win.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

hexwren posted:

until the time I was level 84 and got queued into the 83 trial, expecting yet another ifrit or something

it was a shitshow, because the number of instances I'd ever been in where I had skills higher than level fifty, I could probably count on both hands. I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, much less able to do it while doing those mechanics

idk. i know the response to this is "learn how your poo poo works," but I barely have time to play the game as is, let alone to sit through a bunch of youtube tutorials and go off somewhere and practice poo poo

My response to this is actually, "that's why I usually avoid trial roulette." It's not so bad on DPS, but whether healers know their high-level toolkit or not has a comparatively larger impact in trial runs (plus people tend to get pissier in the tricky trials compared to elsewhere).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just don't believe that a hyper casual player is going to be bullied and kicked out of EXDR and Normal Raids because of this

There was no votekick or anything because of this, but during last night's EXDR run, I watched a healer go completely on tilt about a RDM dying on the second boss of the 8.1 MSQ dungeon. Maybe they died twice? (We wiped once, did it again, cleared, lost maybe five minutes of our lives, who cares.) Extremely intense arguments about whether the RDM failed a certain mechanic twice or four times, with "salty" and "delusional" getting thrown around. It's EXDR! It's for farming tomes! People are already looking for excuses to scream at others for content that's readily completable even with subpar execution. Why give them more reasons?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
that argument also works the other way, though - if people are already doing that for the extremely mild problems of someone dying once in a dungeon, then it's not like adding a parser is going to make things worse. maybe the parser isn't the problem

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I hope all the people that you've witnessed being jerkwads were reported a lot. I recently did a leveling roulette with a tank that didn't know how to use their AOE. But it was a geniune don't know, not an I don't care don't know, so even though it took me an exhaustingly long amount of time I walked them through the buttons they should be pressing, we did single pulls all the way through, I did my best to spell out boss mechanics, and I was the healer. The other DPSes were two black mages, so I had my work cut out for me keeping everyone alive as much as possible. I do think that this community is good, because you hear maybe stories in equal measure about toxic people and heartwarming scenarios, instead of an overwhelming amount of the former.

I don't really care about parsing. I'd look at it only to see where I can improve. But I'm doing well enough to consistently get through the hard fights I feel like doing, so I probably don't need to push myself so hard sometimes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Anyone in WoW posting dps meters unprompted with random people is far more of an rear end in a top hat and a problem than someone who just wanted to try dungeons out.

And a personal check of damage should only exist in content where that matters, extremes and savages. It should be completely separate from any content the majority of people participate in where damage does not actually matter anyway.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 16, 2022

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

hexwren posted:

but there's not a session where I'm healing that goes by that I'm not thinking of when I pushed white mage to 90 so I could do my role quests

(and this was mostly accomplished by roulette, which in turn meant that 90% of the instances I got would be level 50 or below)

You can pretty easily level to 60 using Command Missions with your squadron, and from 71-90 using trusts. You only need to do content with other people from 60-71, and catbooks and frontlines roulette can get you through that, albeit slowly.

This is how I leveled my tank to 90 for role quests, because I get bad ‘tanxiety’ about actually tanking for other people. It’s slower, yeah, but it’s pretty much stress free.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
don't really get the idea taht parsing should only be used in extreme situatiosn where ti is of utmost importance. like it's a nuclear bomb we have to make decisions around so we don't irradiate the planet. It's just a way to gauge your dps. I keep a parser up at all times so that I can track how I'm doing both relative to myself and other players, especially in alliance raids where otherwise you're just going to be mashing your face against the same fights hundreds of times with no differentiating factor - but I'll do it in dungeons, too - to see what circumstances cause me to lose dps vs others, and to track when I make a mistake how big of a mistake it actually is w/r/t my output. I've never once commented on any rando's parse. If people can't handle that kind of tool without becoming jerks about it just discipline the people - the tool is not the issue here.

I get that everyone's terrified of becoming WoW but it seems obvious that it is the moderation style of the company rather than the addons that make the environment over there so uniquely toxic.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Grayshift posted:

2. As WAR, your combo hits just tickle and annoy. Your burst tool: Primal Rend into a group and dump a cloud of burst damage/debuffs with Orogeny -> Bloodwhetting -> Cyclone, then be real hard to kill for a while.

You wanna pop BW before you go in 'cause you can engage with Onslaught instead and get a second big heal from Primal Rend along with Chaotic Cyclone

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Alxprit posted:

The other DPSes were two black mages, so I had my work cut out for me keeping everyone alive as much as possible.

This is slander

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Tried out PvP for the first time the other day, in order to get the giant kanabo for DRK. I have no idea what the hell is going on or what I'm doing but I'm still having fun. I just follow my team around to the caps and blow casters up with Eventide :black101:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 16, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I didn't play latter day wow, but my understanding was they basically got rid of all the humans doing moderation and replaced them with automated tools and heuristics, like you get automatically banned if X people report you or whatever regardless of the merits, they find some pattern in the logs to match against some type of bot to mass ban them, etc.

This game has done literally the exact opposite, it's all just humans manually handling reports and automation is either not possible or not desired or both.

I guess where I'm going with this is yeah, the moderation strategies are so different that the outcomes are likely to be totally different, for basically any issue

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 16, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No Mods No Masters posted:

I didn't play latter day wow, but my understanding was they basically got rid of all the humans doing moderation and replaced them with automated tools and heuristics, like you get automatically banned if X people report you or whatever regardless of the merits, they find some pattern in the logs to match against some type of bot to mass ban them, etc.

This game has done literally the exact opposite, it's all just humans manually handling reports and automation is either not possible or not desired or both.

I guess where I'm going with this is yeah, the moderation strategies are so different that the outcomes are likely to be totally different, for basically any issue

WoW doesn’t have automatic tools banning people, it just uses them to file reports into check with human or don’t bother. Except for chest detection moderation which can be automated (because it’s generally pretty easy to know when someone is literally cheating).

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Khizan posted:

You can pretty easily level to 60 using Command Missions with your squadron, and from 71-90 using trusts. You only need to do content with other people from 60-71, and catbooks and frontlines roulette can get you through that, albeit slowly.

This is how I leveled my tank to 90 for role quests, because I get bad ‘tanxiety’ about actually tanking for other people. It’s slower, yeah, but it’s pretty much stress free.

Tribes are also nice post 50!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Of course the day I’m home sick is the 6 hour server maintenance day. I was hoping I’d at least push through a 2.x patch or two while stuck on the couch.

I did 2/3 crystal towers for the first time yesterday though and they’re good fun! I read a brief summary of their bosses in advance, but most of their mechanics seem intuitive enough, especially if you just keep an eye on your own squad and run where they do.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
While it's true that GMs will come down hard on people being dicks for whatever reason, I have to imagine that SE would rather construct their game to avoid giving people reasons to be dicks in the first place. A lot of other decisions FFXIV makes seem to be based around this principle, and even if after years of good-for-an-online-video-game community vibe suddenly tossing in limited DPS meters wouldn't turn everything into WoW, it'd still be a new way for people to be lovely. And lovely in the sort of way that makes the new and inexperienced and mediocre at video games go "I'm quitting your stupid toxic game." Because the money of people that suck at the game spends just as well as the sweaty parsefiends.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

a cartoon duck posted:

if parsing was legal people wouldn't have to set ludicrously high min ilvl requirements to make sure people can pass enrage checks

Oh gosh.

No, that's not how it would work. Having a good parse would just be another requirement added on top of "Min ilvl", "must have achi" , and so on.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Itzena posted:

Oh gosh.

No, that's not how it would work. Having a good parse would just be another requirement added on top of "Min ilvl", "must have achi" , and so on.

Yeah, this is one of the stated reasons they don't want to add parsing, not wanting people to demand parses before letting them into party finders.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Itzena posted:

Oh gosh.

I occasionally see savage Barse groups in PF that require you already have a 95+ parse on fflogs or the like.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i think its good to surface obvious ways for people to know how well they are doing and how they are doing better, because high end content is designed around everyone doing that. early in a savage tier, one subpar dps who is otherwise doing mechanics can absolutely hard-wall the group from clearing, and the info to know that and improve should be in the game

they probably should do it in a way that prevents like "show parse for inv" stuff b/c thats lame. but its not like we can't already notice when people are total deadweight in savage or ultimate pf groups and kick/blacklist, i've done that plenty. life is short and you gotta treat kicking/bl-ing like blocking people on twitter: do it at first impulse b/c who cares

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And they do tell you that. If you're hitting enrage you need to do more DPS.

If you're talking about individually...then we get into, again, poo poo like immediately kicking the lowest DPS person after every wipe. And sure, it doesnt' really matter! But if you keep getting kicked, I think it's just as likely that you just eventually give up instead of going on a training montage to get better.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

I occasionally see savage Barse groups in PF that require you already have a 95+ parse on fflogs or the like.

I'd say groups that explicitly want to push parses have a different goal than just standard clear or farm groups

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
To break up the Parse talk a bit, for anyone that forgot it existed, the third chapter of Eorzea Academy is out. It's more Anime High School Shenanigans, but if that's what you're into, it's still a good time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Interview with YoshiP about FFXI, which has the occasional tidbit about XIV as well.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

This week I joined an Ultima Unreal party that required ilevel 590 which is very funny because Ultima Unreal syncs to ilevel 565. It doesn't matter if you're wearing full 600 or your level 89 AF set!

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I would like to say that it does matter if you're wearing 600 vs your level 89 AF set. The level 89 AF set is i560. You're losing out on 5 ilevels of mainstat and substats, but you also get the materia bonuses for the 560. There may be a situation where the materia bonuses outweigh the loss in mainstat. I haven't looked into it.

Now there is no difference between moonward vs asphodelos in unreal.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
ilvl acts as a proxy for ability because when content is relevant the people who are clearing raids will generally have a higher ilvl. At this point 590 can be reached through upgraded crafted gear but at least the person is clued in enough to know how to do that.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

hexwren posted:

yeah, and it's pretty cool

and I don't mind doing some dungeons with other people sometimes, this is still way better than warcraft

I'm levelling NIN 80-90 solely by daily Frontlines roulette and switching to AST once inside. I refuse to expend brainpower learning how to play it properly at high level.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

590, at this point, is "has put in some effort into gearing that job", because you can just straight up buy cheap 580's on the AH within minutes of hitting 90.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I really wish I had a parser this weekend doing ex3. We hit enrage twice and I was dpsing as hard as I could, I really want to see what was going wrong. Oh well

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They could easily move the Machinist starter quests to Limsa Lominsa if they wanted to.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
And by easily you mean rewrite the entire story and assign it to new NPCs and locations?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hazardousmouse posted:

I really wish I had a parser this weekend doing ex3. We hit enrage twice and I was dpsing as hard as I could, I really want to see what was going wrong. Oh well

Did people die? Cause if people died that's #1 on the list of things to fix first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

hazardousmouse posted:

And by easily you mean rewrite the entire story and assign it to new NPCs and locations?

The first two missions take place in La Noscea. That's where the marksmanship trainer pirate is. It's not like Dark Knight where you're doing stuff in Ishgard right away.