Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They do explain how dancer works which is nice, but other than that yeah they just kind of throw you in the deep end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If nothing else they should make the tutorials class-focused instead of role focused.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Martman posted:

In most content there's not really any meaningful strategic options, it's just, do mechanics correctly and hit the enemies using your proper rotation etc. I'm presenting a situation where I thought the ninja was going the entirely wrong direction but was actually doing something right, how would that happen in normal PvE content? Or, in other words, in a pve fight why would I think someone is doing poorly when they're actually not? I guess to be more clear, if I see that someone did a bunch of damage at the end of a 24-man for instance, all I get from that is that I realize they know how to do their rotation etc., whereas the pvp score can help me to realize that big picture stuff like "just stay on the crystal" is wrong.
The ability of healers to parse well depends heavily on not having to spend GCDs healing and rezzing people who stand in the fire. A red mage who is chain rezzing idiots is going to parse badly. There are a lot of fights where random people get gaoled and lose an unknowable amount of uptime to their friends breaking them free or have to deal with some mechanic instead of DPSing (e.g. frogs on Amon in CT, the gorilla in A5). If you're running a standard strat on p2s then melee might get 100% or hosed on boss uptime during Kampeos Harma depending on RNG, or the tank/dps who is forced to run move away from the party during the second Predatory Avarice.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

If nothing else they should make the tutorials class-focused instead of role focused.

they should not also train you to tank wrong, as a joke

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

cheetah7071 posted:

they've talked about how they kind of like that idea but the problem is that rotations can change on a whim from patch to patch as part of balancing, and it's a lot of extra work to maintain it through that

Yeah, that's the big hurdle. Even a quest once an expansion and making it super modular would still be a lot of escalating work with every new job added. I do think they should put more emphasis on ALWAYS BE CASTING somewhere, since I'm pretty sure that would improve overall DPS for all causal players.

stev posted:

Yeah this would help. It's not so bad when you're levelling and learn skills one by one - but jumping into a class that starts at 30/50/60/70 with a full rotation to learn in one go can definitely be overwhelming.

Hell if the job quests involved actually learning the new skills you unlock and what they're for that would be a huge help. I've seen that happen a handful of times but not many.

Some job quests do that a little, every new job since ShB has its first quest giving you a roundown of the kit. But your second point has the same problem that they may change a kit for reasons so they can't always have you use X skill. It's already a problem when they have to retcon quests because the skills you used to have have been lost to time (like AST).

ImpAtom posted:

The big thing is people new to MMO need to understand the roles first. And the Hall of the Novice is already iffy enough (whith things such as a tank that refuses to grab aggro if you aren't constantly healing and dissuading you from using AOE).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like if someone can get to Savage tier 4 you can at bare minimum assuming they can do enough DPS and the problem is likely more dying to loving mechanics instead of being an ice mage and no amount of DPS tracker is going to fix that.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If hitting enrages in high end content is such consistently an issue for you this late into a raid tier when you've had time to gear up...like 4 classes on tomes alone outside of upgrade mats I'm not sure the occasional unskilled pick up player in PF is your issue.

yall realize that thanks to the magic of :siren:illegal third party tools:siren: we can actually *gasp* see what everyone is doing over the entire fight?

but no i guess actually i'm the problem and not the red mage who presses acceleration once over ten minutes

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly I'm just not sure how people can say this games moderation is so amazing and then turn around and say that this would ruin the game and turn everyone into an evil wow player who kicks small children from leveling roulette or whatever.

knowledge is power and power corrupts therefor knowledge corrupts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oneiros posted:

yall realize that thanks to the magic of :siren:illegal third party tools:siren: we can actually *gasp* see what everyone is doing over the entire fight?

but no i guess actually i'm the problem and not the red mage who presses acceleration once over ten minutes

If you are not clearing content because the RDM isn't pressing acceleration then it isn't just the RDM who is the issue. This is basically a great example of why this stuff is lovely. No DPS check is tight enough that will cause a wipe unless a bunch of other stuff is going wrong too, but it's easier to blame the RDM who didn't press acceleration than to acknowledge everyone needs to shape up.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

But this won't happen. This is entirely made up in your head. It happens in WoW because WoW has cultivated over 15 years of a culture with next to zero moderation. XIV actively punishes people who are reported for even minor things as long as they break the rules. Being harassed and bullied for your rotation would not be common because it would be bannable. as it already is now

They (being SE) don't want to deal with all the added reporting. Let's say some dudes run a dungeon and at the end of it, one player says to another hey your damage was low, try doing x y and z and dips. That other player might feel bad and report the other player just trying to be helpful and even though this interaction was pretty mundane, a GM still has to look at it, which takes time out of their day handling other poo poo, which means SE has to hire more support which touches their bottom line. Also all the dunning kreugers out there who don't want to find out they're garbage. Essentially, the current status quo is all upside for SE while adding meters is only upside for the console players who wish they add access to a damage meter.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like if someone can get to Savage tier 4 you can at bare minimum assuming they can do enough DPS and the problem is likely more dying to loving mechanics instead of being an ice mage and no amount of DPS tracker is going to fix that.

earlier in the tier i ran into a surprisingly large amount of parties that couldn't make it past the p4s door boss enrage even with zero deaths. this doesn't really happen anymore since people have appreciably better gear at this point, but there was definitely a period where being bad at dps meant you were preventing the group from making progress

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Oneiros posted:

you don't NEED third party tools to figure out who is doing the least amount of dps. Stone Sea Sky is a thing that exists in game for this purpose. it would take extra work, yes, and maybe some guessing and working with the person(s) to help fix their rotation or their opener, but it can all be done without damage meters.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

If you are not clearing content because the RDM isn't pressing acceleration then it isn't just the RDM who is the issue. This is basically a great example of why this stuff is lovely. No DPS check is tight enough that will cause a wipe unless a bunch of other stuff is going wrong too, but it's easier to blame the RDM who didn't press acceleration than to acknowledge everyone needs to shape up.

what if they also aren't pressing a) manafication b) fleche c) contra sixte d) their gap closer or e) their raid buff

<e> or any buttons at all for a significant period

in case it isn't clear this is not in fact a hypothetical

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 15, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Stone sky sea is a terrible measure, and it's not even the same amount of damage needed per job.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
all I really want personally is an opt-in un-publicized damage meter and for the hall of the novice to train you on how you actually play the game instead of teaching you that going fast is the devil

no good can come of public damage meters

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Stone Sky Sea is so weird because you have to go into it cold, so it's basically an opener simulator.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

you don't NEED third party tools to figure out who is doing the least amount of dps. Stone Sea Sky is a thing that exists in game for this purpose. it would take extra work, yes, and maybe some guessing and working with the person(s) to help fix their rotation or their opener, but it can all be done without damage meters.

Oneiros posted:

it's tyool 2022 and the official policy towards figuring out whether someone can actually put out the dps to beat a check is for the entire party to world travel and watch each other hit a training dummy with a stopwatch

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't know what to tell you guys. they're not adding damage meters. but you can use them if you want just don't talk about it in game. i dont see what the problem is or what everyone is arguing about

edit: wait i figured out what to tell you guys

just don't be an rear end in a top hat

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if parsing was legal people wouldn't have to set ludicrously high min ilvl requirements to make sure people can pass enrage checks

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

a cartoon duck posted:

if parsing was legal people wouldn't have to set ludicrously high min ilvl requirements to make sure people can pass enrage checks

Like that would stop them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Stone Sky Sea is so weird because you have to go into it cold, so it's basically an opener simulator.

There is also weirdness in that it's a strict 3 minute timer, so optimally you do things like hold 90 second cooldowns (for the few jobs that still have those) for the 2 minute mark that you wouldn't do in a normal fight. It used to be even weirder in earlier expansions where you had more desyncs with cooldowns. It's also completely worthless for judging healer DPS, which is far more important than people give it credit for.

And of course, there are plenty of people who can perform their rotation adequately on a dummy but make far more mistakes when they have to concentrate on mechanics at the same time.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

stone sky sea is useless why is this a conversation lmao just grey parse and do mechanics it is easy

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

This week I joined an Ultima Unreal party that required ilevel 590 which is very funny because Ultima Unreal syncs to ilevel 565. It doesn't matter if you're wearing full 600 or your level 89 AF set!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oneiros posted:

what if they also aren't pressing a) manafication b) fleche c) contra sixte d) their gap closer or e) their raid buff

<e> or any buttons at all for a significant period

in case it isn't clear this is not in fact a hypothetical

Then yelling at them because of their in-game DPS meter is not actually going to change anything.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

When you think about it. DPS checks either aren't real, or encourage damage meters. If they're so easy to do that you should be able to carry at least one person through them, then they're not a thing anyone needs to worry about. If they are a thing anyone needs to worry about, then we should have a way to track dps

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

This week I joined an Ultima Unreal party that required ilevel 590 which is very funny because Ultima Unreal syncs to ilevel 565. It doesn't matter if you're wearing full 600 or your level 89 AF set!

ostensibly it's to filter out people who don't know how to play their job, or the game

it never works

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

weird how it's always portrayed as yelling and not simply being able to bring up "hey we're having problems getting past this bit and the lowest hanging fruit is you pressing your glowing buttons"

and the response can be varied!

"oh i didn't realize that was such a big part of my damage output i'll try to hit those more often"
"i'm still overwhelmed dealing with the mechanics and can't focus on my hotbars as well as i'd like but i'll try"
"gently caress you you don't pay my sub!"

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

A Moose posted:

When you think about it. DPS checks either aren't real, or encourage damage meters. If they're so easy to do that you should be able to carry at least one person through them, then they're not a thing anyone needs to worry about. If they are a thing anyone needs to worry about, then we should have a way to track dps
The DPS check to kill both the big and small birds in p3s is 4k dps per person, so about 32k total. This was a hard loving wall for most PF groups. The tank DPS spreadsheet says a warrior in full classical (not aug) with no pentamelds and no raid buffs does 4,768 dps.

DPS checks aren't real but bad players are.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
From what I've heard about P3S, a lot of PF groups drop DPS entirely during tethers for birds to focus on the mechanic which is a lot of downtime.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Eh, there is a bit of leeway on the adds DPS check on P3S because ideally you don't want to do any burst to kill the bird, and that top WAR dps of 4768 dps includes burst. Although that's still a "bad players" thing because if you haven't even seen enrage yet and are still progging the adds phase, just use your burst if you really can't get through it in any other way (although most of the reason why PFs couldn't get through adds is because they stand still instead of hitting the birds before tethers resolve, when you ideally should be hitting them before you get tethers and while the tether are present but not resolved yet).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

The ability of healers to parse well depends heavily on not having to spend GCDs healing and rezzing people who stand in the fire. A red mage who is chain rezzing idiots is going to parse badly. There are a lot of fights where random people get gaoled and lose an unknowable amount of uptime to their friends breaking them free or have to deal with some mechanic instead of DPSing (e.g. frogs on Amon in CT, the gorilla in A5). If you're running a standard strat on p2s then melee might get 100% or hosed on boss uptime during Kampeos Harma depending on RNG, or the tank/dps who is forced to run move away from the party during the second Predatory Avarice.
But how would the "scoreboard at the end" approach help with understanding any of this?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Martman posted:

But how would the "scoreboard at the end" approach help with understanding any of this?
I was replying mostly to this part.

quote:

In most content there's not really any meaningful strategic options, it's just, do mechanics correctly and hit the enemies using your proper rotation etc. I'm presenting a situation where I thought the ninja was going the entirely wrong direction but was actually doing something right, how would that happen in normal PvE content? Or, in other words, in a pve fight why would I think someone is doing poorly when they're actually not?
and giving examples of how someone could be parseing badly while doing the correct thing.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

it would be kinda cool to see a scoreboard at the end of trials/raids with like, damage done, damage taken, damage healed, number of deaths/raises, number of vuln stacks, uptime etc per person

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Oneiros posted:

"gently caress you you don't pay my sub!"

I'm an ice mage. Adjust.

I'm shocked but I'm actually really enjoying Machinist (so far, still not quite 50). I've bounced off every other ranged class I've tried in mmos.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

and giving examples of how someone could be parseing badly while doing the correct thing.
Oh ok, I think I meant sort of the opposite. Cause yeah that's a case where the scoreboard may be actively misleading in pve stuff, whereas everyone is a lot more self-reliant in pvp for now at least

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

I'm an ice mage. Adjust.

I'm shocked but I'm actually really enjoying Machinist (so far, still not quite 50). I've bounced off every other ranged class I've tried in mmos.

If you think it's good now, just wait until you start getting the FF6 skills.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yep, as a healer I have some really low grey parses in content, and then you flip over to healing done and there’s 5+ resses because the party was dragged kicking and screaming through eating one-shots non-stop (I didn’t even know this unreal HAD an enrage until I saw it in a 7+ death fight). But a lot of people only care about damage. Healers are pretty much 100% dependent on their party for parsing well because once you’re in the ressing weeds RIP. But you can’t judge on heal numbers either, because some healers are over healing majorly. You’d need like damage done, healing done, overheal percentage, etc. charted just to make it remotely fair and that wouldn’t account for the tank trying the quadruple gulg pull without using cooldowns.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A Moose posted:

it would be kinda cool to see a scoreboard at the end of trials/raids with like, damage done, damage taken, damage healed, number of deaths/raises, number of vuln stacks, uptime etc per person

god no

one of the biggest things about world of warcraft for me was that I was terrified of doing multi-player content at all, because I'm bad at video games and easily depressed, and I'd heard that people were really uptight about being hardcore

so when I finally got it together enough to try a few dungeons, I very quickly found myself (when not actually getting kicked for not being up to the regulars' standards) getting to the ends of dungeons and someone's parser would dump the damage totals into party chat just so they could feel like a big man

and so even the positive emotion of success of getting into multiplayer content and finishing a dungeon, which I'd spent absolute ages avoiding, was immediately taken away from me. not only was I being told this was not a place for me, I'd still also just occasionally get kicked for no clear reason. and it's not as if I wasn't pushing my buttons. goddamn, did I have a lot of buttons to push, and I was paying rapt attention to my hotbars

so when people told me that ff14 was a place where people were nice about multiplayer content, it still took me weeks upon weeks to build up the nerve to start doing roulettes (I was, I think, up to MSQ level 32 on the old 35-max free trial before I started rouletting)

and I still get loving yelled at on a regular basis when tanking or healing because I don't know how to do these things effectively enough for some people

I'm not here to do savage or extreme or anything like that, I only do normal-level content (apart from the occasional unsynched extreme trial for catbook.) I'm not getting in anyone's way where they're the sort of person who can use a tool to learn where numbers are slipping in a tight fight, but making everyone's numbers publicly available in any situation does not do anything helpful for anyone except people who want an excuse to poo poo on other players. I don't care that "oh, the GMs are good, they'll ban the people involved." this isn't something the GMs should have to concern themselves with.

yes, I'm bad at video games. I don't think I can move my fingers any faster than I already do, so I'm probably going to stay bad at video games. If this game could be made entirely single-player, I would sign up for it in a loving heartbeat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

coolusername posted:

Yep, as a healer I have some really low grey parses in content, and then you flip over to healing done and there’s 5+ resses because the party was dragged kicking and screaming through eating one-shots non-stop (I didn’t even know this unreal HAD an enrage until I saw it in a 7+ death fight). But a lot of people only care about damage. Healers are pretty much 100% dependent on their party for parsing well because once you’re in the ressing weeds RIP. But you can’t judge on heal numbers either, because some healers are over healing majorly. You’d need like damage done, healing done, overheal percentage, etc. charted just to make it remotely fair and that wouldn’t account for the tank trying the quadruple gulg pull without using cooldowns.

Even then properly avoiding overhealing is a lot more difficult with pub groups or whatever because both healers probably understandably have no idea if they can trust the other to do their job and it's better to get overhealing versus playing healer chicken and causing a death/wipe (I consider a death of any kind that could have been avoided way worse than any amount of overhealing). Same for dungeons because yeah, tanks not using cooldowns or whatever can gently caress poo poo up. (Alternately the amount of damage you can output with a warrior self-healing vs a dark knight is also a factor because no poo poo you're going to do more damage when the warrior has bene on a 25 second cooldown)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

hexwren posted:

yes, I'm bad at video games. I don't think I can move my fingers any faster than I already do, so I'm probably going to stay bad at video games. If this game could be made entirely single-player, I would sign up for it in a loving heartbeat.

don't the trust reworks mean this game is on the way to being 99.9% single player

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/ffxiv-trust-system-realm-reborn-heavensward-stormblood-msq/

e: they noted 8 man duties and above can't get that treatment so :shrug:

Erg fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Erg posted:

don't the trust reworks mean this game is on the way to being 99.9% single player

In about 2 years yeah