Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean there is also the opposite case where dense individuals will treat any representation of these characters as protagonists as endorsement of their actions, which is pretty dumb too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know we've discussed this before but it's the this cool and awesome guy who gets whatever he wants and faces little consequences is a cautionary tale so loving rarely works it feels.

Gordon Gecko, Derek Vinyard, Tony Saprano, House, Walter White, the Punisher, the Wolf of Wall Street guy. They are all power fantasies and despite the creators saying no look these people are bad, all they see if how powerful these people feel/are. And unsurprisingly they are all white middle class/upper class guys. Hell if you spend any time on social media, you see the business people mimicking that style of I have all the money and face no hardship/consequences.

Didn't that happen with the show Dallas and J.R.? As in some communist country (Romania I think?) showed episodes where J.R. was a total scumbag, but people saw how rich and powerful he was, and, even without the government making your life hell, it's a good escape fantasy. I thought I read that after that government fell, the country's new leaders invited that actor over and held parades and poo poo for him.

edit: To be fair, I think it was pretty cool a drat TV drama helped overthrow a dictatorship.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 02:05 on May 16, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CJacobs posted:

I mean there is also the opposite case where dense individuals will treat any representation of these characters as protagonists as endorsement of their actions, which is pretty dumb too.

You see this a lot with the book banning types.

"Oh, this book contains depictions of violence and murder." Well, yes, by the bad characters and it uses those themes to highlight why they are bad.

Which leads to the inevitable (and hilarious) consequence of people using those same criteria to try and ban the bible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Book banners know exactly what they’re doing when they pull that, though. Nobody wanted Maus removed from English class because it depicts murder. They’re dumb, but they know what they want.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Depiction equals endorsement' has become a thing with tumblr progressive idiots too unfortunately. Still pops up on places like YA twitter.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Depiction equals endorsement' has become a thing with tumblr progressive idiots too unfortunately. Still pops up on places like YA twitter.

“Explaining things is supporting those things” is literally a thing we’ve had people say here on the forums.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was a famous meltdown about that on the forums somewhere, where someone kept trying to clarify how explaining something necessarily entailed supporting it, but they could never clarify what they meant and got progressively angrier at everyone making fun of them. It was linked in the old SA sagas thread, but I don’t remember which iteration.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

There was a famous meltdown about that on the forums somewhere, where someone kept trying to clarify how explaining something necessarily entailed supporting it, but they could never clarify what they meant and got progressively angrier at everyone making fun of them. It was linked in the old SA sagas thread, but I don’t remember which iteration.

Someone started a QCS thread that wanted to address the issue around the Cosby conviction getting overturned and ending their wall of text with "the explanation of an unjust system can be seen as endorsement of it"

Fister Roboto posted:

And yes, for the record, explaining the process of an unjust system can be seen as tacit support for that injustice. Discuss that instead of probating people.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What, how? Can somebody explain what kinds of botched socialization leads to this line of thinking?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The problem is that people are dumb as gently caress and anything more nuanced than Goofus and Gallant will be misinterpreted by somebody.

I remember walking out of Starship Troopers in the theater 25 years ago and my friend saying he wanted to be mobile infantry. Even my tweenage got that he missed the point. Or maybe the shower had more of an effect on him.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The funniest scene in that movie is the coed naked shower scene, because Heinlein would have never allowed it. The idea of women actually fighting in the military he found abhorrent. Although I'm sure he would have enjoyed the shower scene on a more prurient level.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole Cosby verdict overturning was 100% bullshit from any angle really, though certainly possible to explain things in a condescending enough way that it sounds like excusing it in a 'This is how it's SUPPOSED to work, you idiot' tone.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

What, how? Can somebody explain what kinds of botched socialization leads to this line of thinking?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They say it's impossible to make an anti-war war movie, but a good starting point would be not writing the script from the villain's perspective (even if the villain is conflicted about the evils of war)

I'm sure there are movies like that though

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Starship Troopers is a perfect movie with zero plot holes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Starship Troopers is a perfect movie with zero plot holes.

Well I guess maybe the galaxy is technically too big for the story that takes place but the accompanying visual gag is much too great to turn down

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

"parody"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They say it's impossible to make an anti-war war movie, but a good starting point would be not writing the script from the villain's perspective (even if the villain is conflicted about the evils of war)

have you ever seen Come and See

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Alaois posted:

have you ever seen Come and See

Or Paths Of Glory.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kwyndig posted:

The funniest scene in that movie is the coed naked shower scene, because Heinlein would have never allowed it. The idea of women actually fighting in the military he found abhorrent. Although I'm sure he would have enjoyed the shower scene on a more prurient level.

On the other hand, women piloting the ships is straight out of the book. Heinlein's :biotruths: had men as better infantry, but women as better pilots and space tacticians.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know we've discussed this before but it's the this cool and awesome guy who gets whatever he wants and faces little consequences is a cautionary tale so loving rarely works it feels.

Gordon Gecko, Derek Vinyard, Tony Saprano, House, Walter White, the Punisher, the Wolf of Wall Street guy. They are all power fantasies and despite the creators saying no look these people are bad, all they see if how powerful these people feel/are. And unsurprisingly they are all white middle class/upper class guys. Hell if you spend any time on social media, you see the business people mimicking that style of I have all the money and face no hardship/consequences.

American History X: The Nazi Cut - it's just the flashback scenes leading up to the murder, and Ethan Suplee is edited out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kwyndig posted:

As an attempt to explain, but not endorse as it were.

Essentially its the framing of the issue and why there is an awful lot of difference between someone saying "this is the reason X happened" or "X should not happen, but here is why it's been like this". The first frames things as an inescapable part of the world and beyond any human ken to argue against or effect. Like the formation of Mountains or Volcanic eruptions. Whereas the latter can be used for things that can be affected by human actions. Like defences put in place to prevent damage from Volcanoes.

The person was probably arguing against someone who said "this is why the Cosby verdict was reached" and inferring, either correctly or incorrectly, that what they are saying is "this is a normal part of a system and should not be argued against or disliked".

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It is the result of having a very childish view of the world, where things are only Perfectly Good or Perfectly Bad. Any system that ever produces <unwanted result> is therefore Perfectly Bad and must be obliterated. Anyone that does not immediately agree that obliteration is the only possible way is therefore also Perfectly Bad, and thus must also be destroyed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gnoman posted:

It is the result of having a very childish view of the world, where things are only Perfectly Good or Perfectly Bad. Any system that ever produces <unwanted result> is therefore Perfectly Bad and must be obliterated. Anyone that does not immediately agree that obliteration is the only possible way is therefore also Perfectly Bad, and thus must also be destroyed.

If a system consistently reproduces terrible results then yes. It's an individual thing to work out where that line is, but it is not childish to want things to be better, and sometimes the death of an older system is better than it's continuation.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm not talking about a desire to make things better. That's not childish at all, and is quite healthy.

I'm talking about the sort of people who think that something is not worth doing if it is only a small step forward because only instant utopia is worth trying for. The sort of people who consider reforming a flawed setup impossible. Who take any disagreement as a declaration of war.

THOSE are the people that spit out nonsense like "explaining is endorsing".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean a small step forward for you personally is usually good, great in fact!

However all too often a "small step forward" as a society is nigh on worthless and will get rolled back if you don't fight even harder for it's expansion and continuation. Like, look at a huge number of different things that are now happening to stop and reverse even the small gains that have been made since the 1980's across the world. All that bargaining with society as it exists has lead us to this point, and I am personally unsure how much further we can get with it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Luckily we still have plenty of time for small steps towards fixing things

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Grave of the Firefiles

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Grave of the Firefiles

That movie had to be a double bill with My Neighbor Totoro because otherwise it would've totally wrecked people.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Starship Troopers doesn't really have a "are we the baddies?" moment. the movie raises those issues, but our protagonists don't have that level of perspective. I think an important thing people need to learn about fascism is how it enthralls a whole population that would otherwise be compassionate people in different circumstances. Just having the bad guys be the fascists just says "Nazis are bad," which is such a simplistic lesson, it's barely worth saying.

But, also I accept that Starship Troopers engages in fascist propaganda, mostly as farce, but also in the same way that is seen as normal and acceptable in other modern war movies. I don't think you can do both "hey look cool violence & gore" and also "war bad" and have the second hit harder than the first in an audience that is used to seeing pro war propaganda in the movie theatre.

I think something that has soldiers for protagonists and also manages an anti-war message is Generation Kill. You empathize with the soldiers who are trying their best, but you can plainly see that the war is pointless and massively harmful to the people, even if those people aren't really depicted as characters.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
There's an 80's OVA called Area 88 that I recommend. It's about a dude who gets involuntarily conscripted into a mercenary air force, so right off the bat he has no delusions about fighting for "honor and glory" or whatever. He just wants to do his time and get out of there. At the end of the series when he does finish his required service (several years), he finds out he's been there so long fighting just to survive that he literally can not function in normal society. He gets into fights because that's the only thing that gives him entertainment and a sense of purpose anymore and almost ends up an international criminal because of it. At the end he goes right back to the mercenary force and dies in a futile battle. It's pretty tragic.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Torquemada posted:

Or Paths Of Glory.

Truffaut wrote a review of Paths of Glory years before his "I've never seen an antiwar film" quote. He literally talks about it in the interview that quote is from. His point was that violence is ambiguous and can be read by the audience however they choose. Paths of Glory can be seen, and was seen as an indictment of the French government, not war itself by some people. The atrocities in Come and See can be viewed as the reason why war is necessary to fight that kind of evil. Steven Spielberg watched Come and See before filming Saving Private Ryan. Its the ambiguity of how people respond to depictions of violence, not the intentions of the filmmakers, that he was addressing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

So there's no such thing as an anti-war film because some people just like wars and think theyre good.

Stunning insights lmao

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think the way to make an antiwar/cop film is to do it from the POV of the hapless victims, but that's a less compelling narrative than "good guys fight the bad guys and win!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Gundam is probably the most successful 'anti-war war story' I can think of both in terms of monetary success and getting its point across to audiences, but... well, that 'War Is Bad/Wow Cool Robot' meme exists for a reason.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Maybe Catch-22 counts as an anti-war movie? Although even then the book never argues that the US shouldn't have been fighting WWII, so an argument can be made it's more a criticism of systems and processes rather than the concept of war itself.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
You cannot make an anti-big monster movie

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A "we're too stupid and silly to be trusted with something as serious as war" movie

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

endocriminologist posted:

You cannot make an anti-big monster movie

I dunno Pacific Rim was a pretty anti-big monster film but it was made by humans so I feel it's a little biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Well now I want to see a movie directed by Godzilla himself.