Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

$400,000 per month eh? Think I might have to get in on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

quote:

Character concept: wizard, terrible at casting spells, is secretly being steered by his rat familiar from under his pointy hat

quote:

Droid who's a dark jedi who can only do the force with his feet because his top half is a droid but his legs are Darth Maul's.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

"wer" in Old English means "man," so a werebear is a man who turns into a bear exercises his right to bear arms. No wolf involved.

On the other hand, in Proto-Germanic some thousands of years ago or something, the bear had a different name, but it was so fearsome an animal, people started euphemistically referring to it as "the brown one," which in Proto-Germanic was something like "bero", which also is related to the English word "brown." So maybe "werebear" just means "brown(-haired?) dude."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

if you used the word "manbrown" i would not think you were talking about an animal

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

if you used the word "manbrown" i would not think you were talking about an animal

That's on you, pal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm only reminded of how the original ancient Egyptian name for cats is possibly Mau.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I dunno, it makes for a cute mental image. Egyptian finding a cat lounging by the granary between hunting for rats.
"And who are you?"
"Mauuu!"
"Good enough for me!"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Chinese is like that in that a lot of its words for animals are good onomatopoeic abstractions of the noise the animal makes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

"wer" in Old English means "man," so a werebear is a man who turns into a bear exercises his right to bear arms. No wolf involved.

On the other hand, in Proto-Germanic some thousands of years ago or something, the bear had a different name, but it was so fearsome an animal, people started euphemistically referring to it as "the brown one," which in Proto-Germanic was something like "bero", which also is related to the English word "brown." So maybe "werebear" just means "brown(-haired?) dude."

Even a man who is pure of heart
And says his prayers sometimes
May turn to a goon when he pays ten bucks
And commit shitposting crimes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the language Mbabaram, once spoken by people who lived near what is today Cairns, the word for the domestic canine is “dog”. It is phonetically identical to the Australian English term for the same.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My three-year old niece would refer to cats and dogs as maus and woofs and that makes perfect sense. I’m frankly surprised there aren’t more languages that use entirely first-principle names for animals.

Like mother and father are basically some abstraction of the baby noises “ma ma” and “ba ba” (or sometimes “da da”) in every language I know, but I dunno who came up with “cat.”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I want you all to really listen to the words "chicken" and "duck"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It turns out we've been using Pokemon naming rules all along

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

walrus

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My three-year old niece would refer to cats and dogs as maus and woofs and that makes perfect sense. I’m frankly surprised there aren’t more languages that use entirely first-principle names for animals.

Like mother and father are basically some abstraction of the baby noises “ma ma” and “ba ba” (or sometimes “da da”) in every language I know, but I dunno who came up with “cat.”

You don't know many languages, let's be honest here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It turns out we've been using Pokemon naming rules all along

so it's a wall? that always has the pokerus? ship it

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

Hey, where did wīz go?
dagōz when the regna- came
Down in the hulwiją
Playin' a new game
Laughin' and a-rinnaną', hey, hey
Skippin' and a-frawaz'
In the misty morning feukaną with you
Our, our hertô a-thumping and you
My bear-eyed girl
And you, my bear-eyed girl

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Platystemon posted:

In the language Mbabaram, once spoken by people who lived near what is today Cairns, the word for the domestic canine is “dog”.

In fact, the very name of their language roughly translates as "Black Betty"

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Sir Lemming posted:

In fact, the very name of their language roughly translates as "Black Betty"

Bam ba lam.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Oh now I get it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Breetai posted:

Chinese is like that in that a lot of its words for animals are good onomatopoeic abstractions of the noise the animal makes.

Talking about Donkeys and peacocks must be fun, the durian fruit of the Chinese language.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm only reminded of how the original ancient Egyptian name for cats is possibly Mau.

The Quechua word for cat is "michi", pronounced "mee chee". So when you're in the Andes and are trying to call a cat, you say "michi michi michi michi" instead of "pspspspspspsps"

There's a Quechua colloquialism, "michi uya", or "cat face(d)". It's used to describe someone the same way as "baby faced" in English, because as a cat ages his face stays the same :3:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

thepopmonster posted:

Hey, where did wīz go?
dagōz when the regna- came
Down in the hulwiją
Playin' a new game
Laughin' and a-rinnaną', hey, hey
Skippin' and a-frawaz'
In the misty morning feukaną with you
Our, our hertô a-thumping and you
My bear-eyed girl
And you, my bear-eyed girl

:perfect:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

goon songs are epic

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the formatting of songs makes them extremely easy to scroll past, at least

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the formatting of songs makes them extremely easy to scroll past, at least

Just like Tolkien

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Outrail posted:

Talking about Donkeys and peacocks must be fun, the durian fruit of the Chinese language.
They are peafowl, peacock is the male, peahen is the female.
99% of people just say peacock so whatever.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't

Sign

Your

Posts!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

On the other hand, in Proto-Germanic some thousands of years ago or something, the bear had a different name, but it was so fearsome an animal, people started euphemistically referring to it as "the brown one," which in Proto-Germanic was something like "bero", which also is related to the English word "brown."

That different name, the one the Germanic peoples danced around so hard they basically made a new name for the animal? We still use it all the time, because English is a thief, and languages where they didn't get killed by bears all day long didn't change the word.

In Greek, it's arktos. From which they had arktikos, "near the bear", for "North", apparently referring to the constellations of Ursa Major and/or Minor, of which the Big and Little Dippers are part. English borrowed arktikos to describe the land furthest North, the Arctic, and so the land furthest south is the Antarctic.

That Ursa in Ursa Major is simply the Latin form of arktos, and persists in Romance languages as "ours", "oso", "urs". If you're francophone you call the bear by its true name.

Sanskrit also preserved the name of the bear, and from there it found its way into Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi and Thai!

Meanwhile, the Slavic languages ended up with something like "medved", which was another euphemistic name, this time meaning "honey-eater".

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Now we just use Grindr to summon bears.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

They are peafowl, peacock is the male, peahen is the female.
99% of people just say peacock so whatever.

A peacock's call sounds kinda like peahaw, so it''s not too far off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ5SyMnm54M

They also do a great trill and honk, but those are too hard for me to copy.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phy posted:

That Ursa in Ursa Major is simply the Latin form of arktos, and persists in Romance languages as "ours", "oso", "urs". If you're francophone you call the bear by its true name.

English still uses "ursine" but not uh like very often

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVI1CaPnPfQ

(26 seconds in, since I've loving forgotten how to timestamp)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Empty Sandwich posted:

English still uses "ursine" but not uh like very often

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVI1CaPnPfQ

(26 seconds in, since I've loving forgotten how to timestamp)

https://youtu.be/sVI1CaPnPfQ?t=26

It is the "?t=26" at the end and it is always referenced in number of seconds from 00:00:00 on the video. If you click the share button on the video the popup that gives you the link to copy has a checkbox for start at wherever the video was at when you clicked the share button.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you can also do minutes and seconds, like ?t=4m20s

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Bloop posted:

do your balls have nips

CzarChasm posted:

do they hang below your hips
can you show them off for me
can you show them off for tips
does it make your rear end in a top hat pucker
oh you freaky little fucker
do your balls have nips

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Paladinus posted:

You don't know many languages, let's be honest here.

I mean if you have some good counter-examples I'd love to hear them. I spent one insomniac night googling a bunch of extremely non-Indo-European languages and the only one I could find that was totally off-base was the Te Reo word for mother, which was paired with the very on-the-nose "papa" for father.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean if you have some good counter-examples I'd love to hear them. I spent one insomniac night googling a bunch of extremely non-Indo-European languages and the only one I could find that was totally off-base was the Te Reo word for mother, which was paired with the very on-the-nose "papa" for father.

You should check again, I don't think you've been very thorough.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:enkidel: Grow a thicker skin, you giant pussy. :enkidel:

plashy posted:

I got banned for not keeping up with my log, I'd like to explain why I didn't in here as I'm still keeping to my gym schedule. I asked a simple beginner diet and exercise question in here and was put off by the hostility of the responses, particularly from a mod, I found it very demotivating and struggled to care about going back to the gym for a week or two. I would prefer not to be in that position and keep my motivation up, since then I've not been back in this forum at all and it's helped a lot.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Workout logs just reminds me of the guy who kept "accidentally" posting his workout log in the Kermit Gosnell thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Baron von Eevl posted:

Workout logs just reminds me of the guy who kept "accidentally" posting his workout log in the Kermit Gosnell thread.

I have been working out!