Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TheSlutPit posted:

Also boondock saints lol, basically there was whole library of these if you were a college freshman in the 00’s

They were killing badguys for Irish God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

They were killing badguys for Irish God.

uhhh the op said “criminals” not “bad guys”. r>c>p

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

lol remember smokin aces?

fuckin loved that piece of poo poo when I was a teenager

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TheSlutPit posted:

Also boondock saints lol, basically there was whole library of these if you were a college freshman in the 00’s

That library existed in a thousand thousand dorm rooms where a guy named Mike lived, all across America

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That library existed in a thousand thousand dorm rooms where a guy named Mike lived, all across America
he was also a curator of fine wall art

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

unlimited shrimp posted:

he was also a curator of fine wall art

I’m getting more “travis” vibes from these tbh, definitely a different vibe from the cool buddy crime guy. They were friends though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this image had such an outsized impact on my life

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
does Natural Born Killers count as a buddy criminal movie?

e True Romance?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TheSlutPit posted:

I’m getting more “travis” vibes from these tbh, definitely a different vibe from the cool buddy crime guy. They were friends though.

my Travis was a cooler dude but the vibe was related

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

True Romance is too horny. I haven’t seen Natural Born Killers

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

loving love this show god drat

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

so glad it's back

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Buck Wildman posted:

loving love this show god drat

Buck Wildman posted:

so glad it's back

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I literally grew up on binging l&o because nothing was better than seeing it tackle contemporary discourse in the most unintentionally satirical manner possible

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

remembering the episode where they go up against the white suburban bank robbers who argued that it was legal because the constitution guarantees the right to pursue happiness

the bank robbers won

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i ate a bunch of peyote and watched fourteen hours straight of law and order vanilla in spanish without subtitles. it was the most effective language lesson i've ever had. i still remember the voice...la ley y el orden

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
han solo and chewie are buddy criminals

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i caught clerks 1 on TV last night. honestly it held up much better than i would've thought. i watched it about 10,000 times in the mid-2000s so there's definitely a nostalgia factor there but i thought it really worked. the movie is structured as essentially an anthology with a frame story about dante's relationship woes, which could easily have been excruciating, but the pacing is somehow compelling. it helps that the end of the movie is basically an anti-kevin smith screed about how pathetic pop culture-obsessed slackers are.

what are some other good examples of writers or artists who got popular by skewering the hypocrisies and annoying quirks of their scenes, only to later sell out by embracing them?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god in 2001 i thought jay and silent bob strike back was the funniest movie ever made

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

god in 2001 i thought jay and silent bob strike back was the funniest movie ever made

it was pretty funny at the time and the age we would have been

i never liked judd apatow movies though even with far shittier tastes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

it was pretty funny at the time and the age we would have been

i never liked judd apatow movies though even with far shittier tastes

of his directorial efforts i agree, i don't like them. i didn't see his last few though. did anyone watch the pete davidson movie?

edit lmao he wrote heavyweights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-GeX0FKJwI

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Lol whoever mentioned the nudity in the new KitH was NOT kidding. That and all the other meta jokes have been pretty funny though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

Lol whoever mentioned the nudity in the new KitH was NOT kidding. That and all the other meta jokes have been pretty funny though.

skimmed this post and thought bobby hill got hot

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Aglet56 posted:

The Mandalorian and Baby Yoda are buddy criminals

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Video game commercial.

How the hell did somebody get away with a commercial that only showed 7 second of the game in a 29 second ad.
Also this poo poo is really 90's with the elevator music, and suburban lifestyle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdfiH-xTXlg

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 09:09 on May 16, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDz9A4ByHIQ

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

lol a whole ad campaign and not a single frame of gameplay in the whole thing.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

galagazombie posted:

lol a whole ad campaign and not a single frame of gameplay in the whole thing.

But enough about the Electronic Entertainment Expo

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

holy poo poo :lmao:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A bit late bit The Lion King literally has a 'something rotten in the state of Denmark' joke iirc, they knew exactly what they were doing. And the direct to video sequel is basically Romeo and Juliet with a happy ending tacked on

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Video game commercial.

How the hell did somebody get away with a commercial that only showed 7 second of the game in a 29 second ad.
Also this poo poo is really 90's with the elevator music, and suburban lifestyle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdfiH-xTXlg

The Mother 3 advert doesn't show the game at all.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

it was, and remains so

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

it was, and remains so

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Buck Wildman posted:

remembering the episode where they go up against the white suburban bank robbers who argued that it was legal because the constitution guarantees the right to pursue happiness

the bank robbers won

remember when they did an episode about a guy who embezzled a bunch of money (and I think killed a guy?) and his defense was literally 'I'm gonna give the money to Israel though' and because the judge was jewish he kept favoring the robbing possible murderer?

Dick Wolf loving owns so hard

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

indigi posted:

it was, and remains so

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

im saint germain posted:

Stir Crazy and O Brother Where Art Thou might count

Selma and Louise

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

remember when they did an episode about a guy who embezzled a bunch of money (and I think killed a guy?) and his defense was literally 'I'm gonna give the money to Israel though' and because the judge was jewish he kept favoring the robbing possible murderer?

Dick Wolf loving owns so hard

I greatly enjoy L&O in all its (good) forms. When it's just being a great straight up procedural or some absolute batshit in the Order half of the episode. They need to get off this kick of affirmative defenses and do something like a sovcit to be really fun, but it's okay, they're already renewed for S22 and I can accept them taking a little while to get it straight again. It's still good L&O, just not as good as it could be.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MERCUTIO: A plague o' both your houses! I am sped. Is he gone, and hath nothing?

BENVOLIO: Whoa, slow your roll there, bro. A plague o' both houses? Are you seriously trying to say the Montagues are as bad as the Capulets?

MERCUTIO: I am peppered, I warrant, for this world. A plague o' both your houses! 'Zounds, a dog, a rat, a mouse, a cat, to scratch a man to death! A braggart, a rogue, a villain, that fights by the book of arithmetic! Why the devil came you between us? I was hurt under your arm.

ROMEO: Look, we're all doing everything we can to beat the Capulets in the midterms...

MERCUTIO: Help me into some house, Benvolio, or I shall faint. A plague o' both your houses! They have made worms' meat of me: I have it, and soundly too: your houses!

ROMEO: We can at least agree that the Montagues are better to have around than the Capulets, right? Right? And the important thing is that we all know they have our support in November, right?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
voteo voteo

whereforart thou voteo

deny thy party and refuse thy name

or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my platform

and i will no long be a clintonette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yesterday I watched The Breakfast Club and Old. Very similar movies, actually.