Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Holy hell, I finally managed to snag one!

:hellyeah:

e: now to research eye pieces...

e2: added a celestron 8-24mm zoom, celestron x-cel 2x barlow, and a t-ring and slr adapter for my nikon d7000. Should be ready to do some lunar and planetary astrophotography now

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Read up a little bit on collimating newts, make sure you have a cheshire or something.

Maybe get a cheap wide(r) field eyepiece like maybe this at 20mm, which is $35 and gives you almost 70 degrees and about a 1 degree field of view for sky sweeping and star clusters and such. The Cel zoom is going to be like looking through a drinking straw when you back it out to 20mm, it’s best down at 12mm and under.

I don’t think the DSLR will come to focus without you moving the mirror up in the tube and/or replacing the focuser. The focuser might not hold focus well with a heavy camera sitting on it. You might want a counterweight for the butt of the ota for when you’re hanging a camera on the focuser. Taking pictures is a huge can of worms. This is a visual scope, primarily.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

duodenum posted:

Maybe get a cheap wide(r) field eyepiece like maybe this at 20mm, which is $35 and gives you almost 70 degrees and about a 1 degree field of view for sky sweeping and star clusters and such.

Thanks, I picked up this as well as a red laser collimator by the same company. I'm primarily planning to use this as a visual scope, but won't be able to resist trying photography on it as well.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Finally got out! Had 4 clearish nights and imaged on all of them. Still processing everything, but these two were the main targets.

M101

I had a lot of CA with this one, had to bring it to Lightroom to clean up. My next target didn't rise for a few hours so I shot M101 to fill the gap. The moon was higher for this one too, so maybe that had something to do with it?

IC5070

This one turned out really well, two nights, about 6 hours total integration. I'd have had 3 hours more but tree branches kind of smudged up the early bits.

I'm putting thought into upgrading scopes, but anything I'd go to I'd want pier mounted so I'm not hauling and playing the setup game. Mak-Newts look cool, a smaller RASA, or a slightly larger refractor triplet. We'll see!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone in here probably already knows, but just as a reminder there's a lunar eclipse next Sunday, everything in the US east of the Mississippi can view the full event.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2022-may-16

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
Is M101 really diffuse or something. Was freezing my rear end off last night at 3am looking for it as a last target. The coldest nights seem to be the clearest. Apparently it's brighter than M51 and M82, which I had no problems detecting. When I was looking for M101, I finally settled on a relatively large area of very subtle cloudiness, and figured that was it. Maybe I was seeing things in the blackness of space. I put down in my notes that I had spotted it, but not sure if it was legit. I was definitely scanning the right area.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

M101 has a pretty low surface brightness, so it’s one of the more difficult Messier objects through an eyepiece.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, I pulled the trigger. Thought about my struggles and how I have limited time to do this, so I figured I'd get this set up and then use my current camera/star adventurer for easier stuff while I learned the manual side a bit better.

Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTi Mount Kit
ZWO ASI533MC Pro USB3 Cooled Color Camera
ZWO ASIAIR Plus WiFi Camera Controller
ZWO ASI290MM Mini Monochrome Astronomy Camera
ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope

Already had the Radian Raptor 61. So now I guess just wait until everything gets in from being backordered, preordered, etc.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Moon eclipse tonight seems darker than the past recent ones. Gorgeous.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
It was going smack through the center of the shadow while the moon was at its furthest from earth (I think, don't quote me on that). Dark eclipse, long totality.

Beautiful show.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Man, lunar eclipses never get old. Last night was gorgeous, though it was really low on the horizon. I managed about 20 mins of totality where the Moon wasn't partially obscured by trees.

Golden-i fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 16, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a plan to do a relative brightness (keep the same exposure from start to finish) time lapse as it went across the sky but it was overcast last night. :smith:

Next time.

It cleared up about halfway through but I had already given up and left the camera in the house.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Someone on one of the astro Facebook groups bought one of these used dobs from B&H. It didn't come with the tension handles. Sky-Watcher nor any vendor sells the handles as spare parts. Buyer got a partial refund.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

xzzy posted:

I had a plan to do a relative brightness (keep the same exposure from start to finish) time lapse as it went across the sky but it was overcast last night. :smith:

Next time.

It cleared up about halfway through but I had already given up and left the camera in the house.

I did have a camera on a fixed tripod shooting a time lapse as well, but I've never done that before. I'll have to sort through the data when I get a chance but I'm almost positive that it didn't turn out.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Enos Cabell posted:

Holy hell, I finally managed to snag one!

:hellyeah:

e: now to research eye pieces...

e2: added a celestron 8-24mm zoom, celestron x-cel 2x barlow, and a t-ring and slr adapter for my nikon d7000. Should be ready to do some lunar and planetary astrophotography now

Something like the ZWO ASI224MC would work well with the dob. If you're having issues getting the dslr reaching prime focus use that barlow. Otherwise like someone else said you would have to get a low profile focuser or move the mirror (latter not recommended).

Today on FB.....

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

High dew point and haze after thunderstorms passed through yesterday evening with patchy clouds made for less than ideal viewing conditions. Still got to watch it pass into totality though. The color was a washed out orange, but it was still really cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Golden-i posted:

I did have a camera on a fixed tripod shooting a time lapse as well, but I've never done that before. I'll have to sort through the data when I get a chance but I'm almost positive that it didn't turn out.

As long as you didn't move the camera it should assemble pretty well. I made that mistake at the last one a few years ago, figuring it would be easy to stitch a time lapse panorama together. It wasn't!

Of course doing it right doesn't mean you end up with a beautiful photo, but that's how art works.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

xzzy posted:

As long as you didn't move the camera it should assemble pretty well. I made that mistake at the last one a few years ago, figuring it would be easy to stitch a time lapse panorama together. It wasn't!

Of course doing it right doesn't mean you end up with a beautiful photo, but that's how art works.

I didn't move it, thankfully, but I did manage to horribly miscalculate how low on the horizon the moon would be rising, so I'm pretty sure it's not in frame.

On this note - what's a good program to stitch together a time lapse into a short video?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
It sure was a beautiful show. Initial partial phases and first half of totality were intermittent due to patchy clouds, but the last part of totality and the outgoing partial phases were clear. Got some afocal shots with my phone through the 6" dob. Lovely night.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

If you didn't get a timelapse, never fear! Twitter user advil has you covered.
https://twitter.com/Advil/status/1526078917714399232

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Finally got off my rear end and processed my DSLR's time lapse frames. The Moon was super low on the horizon at this latitude and I live in a bit of a valley, but at least we had a break in the trees for the best part. I just wish I had the software to encode the video with way less compression, but I never edit videos so this is all pretty new territory to me.

https://i.imgur.com/QbmOsmN.mp4

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

holy crap that is fantastic

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Thanks! Hopefully next time I actually set the gear up properly and frame things better...

I finally did a proper process on my lunar eclipse pic as well. A Frankenstein combination of Pixinsight + Autostakkert3 + Pixinsight (again) + GIMP + Pixinsight (once more, with feeling) to get here, but it feels like an improvement over the original I posted. Still needs some work, I think.

Original:

Golden-i posted:

Man, lunar eclipses never get old. Last night was gorgeous, though it was really low on the horizon. I managed about 20 mins of totality where the Moon wasn't partially obscured by trees.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The night of the lunar eclipse was cloudy around me.

But instead of cursing the heavens, I spotted some gaps in the clouds, so like a cat watching a mousehole, I waited.

My patience was eventually rewarded..

Think that's Spica to the left, shot on a Timphone set to 10 seconds exposure..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 21, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Golden-i posted:

Thanks! Hopefully next time I actually set the gear up properly and frame things better...

I finally did a proper process on my lunar eclipse pic as well. A Frankenstein combination of Pixinsight + Autostakkert3 + Pixinsight (again) + GIMP + Pixinsight (once more, with feeling) to get here, but it feels like an improvement over the original I posted. Still needs some work, I think.

Original:

Holy poo poo look at all the craters! :eek:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Do you guys think that $400 350 for a 10" classic dob w/ some issues is too much? "Local" CL

https://reno.craigslist.org/spo/d/dayton-orion-xt10-classic-dobsonian/7486706284.html

I'd have to have them meet me somewhere. Figure for a 10" I'd have to drive my truck which gets ~12 mpg. That's like $60 in gas.
e: saw this on Cloudy Nights for $350 so I am going to contact him at that price.

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 27, 2022

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

pumped up for school posted:

Do you guys think that $400 350 for a 10" classic dob w/ some issues is too much? "Local" CL

https://reno.craigslist.org/spo/d/dayton-orion-xt10-classic-dobsonian/7486706284.html

I'd have to have them meet me somewhere. Figure for a 10" I'd have to drive my truck which gets ~12 mpg. That's like $60 in gas.
e: saw this on Cloudy Nights for $350 so I am going to contact him at that price.

If the mirror defect truly doesn't affect the view that should be fine. Ask the seller how well the focuser works. A stripped screw technically can be fixed by some at a machine shop or yourself if you have the skills.

I paid $500 for a barely used 10" Classic Sky-Watcher dob which then jacked up over $900 for a new one. I guess for you it depends on how often used dobs pop up in your area. The future of new Orion XT dobs is questionable at this point due to supplier issues and the Orion/Synta relationship.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Bought my first astro camera.
Got a lot to learn, but here is the first shots, an attempt at carina nebula

Carina Nebula by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 29, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got any hot news about the potential meteor storm tonight? All the reports I'm seeing are still in the "maybe" phase with a handful of recorded meteors over Spain where it's already dark, they got a peak brightness of -3. The current estimated peak seems to be about 1am EST so there's a lot of time left so I guess I'm curious at what point we'll start hearing whether it's a bust or not.

(radiant is in Bootes, NW of Arcturus)

I got clear skies most the night so I'm charging all my junk and prepping to head out.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Through intermittent breaks in the clouds, I've seen two after about 15 minutes of watching (Austin). One was just a quick flash, the other had a short trail. But nothing to write home about, basically not even as active as a routine Perseid or Leonid shower.

Edit: my skies are quite light polluted, so I only see stuff that is relatively bright. Anything fainter than about mag 3 or 4 is practically invisible to me, naked-eye.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 31, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's been a nice evening out, clear skies and enough of a wind to keep bugs away but we got the wrong side of the coin flip with this forecast.

Bortle 4 here, saw a handful of faint streaks so can't be too mad.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

This was the second target I had a go at. Lagoon nebula

Pretty happy to basically get usable images on the first night out. For the first half hour couldn't even get a focus looking at the laptop, just looked like a bunch of noise. It was only when I switched to another program I figured out what was happening.

With it being the first night with an astro camera I kinda went slowly, didn't try any platesolving or guiding, didn't even hook my mount up to the laptop. Just did the polar alignment and used the hand controller. First time stacking as well, so all over a start I'm fairly happy with.

Camera was ZWO ASI294MC Pro, taken through a canon 600mm f4L lens
40 shots @ 15sec

Lagoon nebula by Marc, on Flickr

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Raikyn posted:

This was the second target I had a go at. Lagoon nebula

Pretty happy to basically get usable images on the first night out. For the first half hour couldn't even get a focus looking at the laptop, just looked like a bunch of noise. It was only when I switched to another program I figured out what was happening.

With it being the first night with an astro camera I kinda went slowly, didn't try any platesolving or guiding, didn't even hook my mount up to the laptop. Just did the polar alignment and used the hand controller. First time stacking as well, so all over a start I'm fairly happy with.

Camera was ZWO ASI294MC Pro, taken through a canon 600mm f4L lens
40 shots @ 15sec

Lagoon nebula by Marc, on Flickr

That looks really great!

Once you get over the initial hurdle guiding and platesolving is easy stuff to move into.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someday I'll get to see a meteor storm, today was not it. I took about 390 exposures in an 1:40, this was everything I could get at 24mm on a full frame camera. There were a couple other dim ones or pinpoints that I didn't feel like including. I saw a handful more outside the camera frame, there were a couple nice bright ones that went through the big dipper.

At least you can clearly see where the radiant is I guess?

I did get to sit outside and stare at stars and wonder how much is out there so still a good night.

(the brightest star in the middle is Arcturus)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
*Finally* had a clear night with good seeing so I stayed up until sunrise and got me some Veil nebula.

A question: what do you all do for star removal? What I've seen basically operates on color range, but in this one I have red stars and blue stars (almost certainly due to the filter), so it's not a simple matter to delete them on that basis, and if I use the Minimum filter in Photoshop it seriously fucks with the nebula itself.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not sure which is sadder: That I heard someone say a satellite was moving into Leo Minor, or that I knew what the gently caress the guy was actually talking about.

I also joined an amateur astronomy organization. I get to learn how to operate their bigass telescopes after a year of good standing. I took a lovely cell phone picture of the Moon through their 22-inch reflecting telescope.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 4, 2022

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Been playing around with the astro camera I bought
Moons out so time for a couple of moon shots I guess

Moon Panorama by Marc, on Flickr

Moon by Marc, on Flickr

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Raikyn posted:

Been playing around with the astro camera I bought
Moons out so time for a couple of moon shots I guess

I finally put my camera on my spotting scope the other night. I am overdoing it on the processing, I know. But for first time, the detail is insane.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Another moon.

Got home from work just after midnight, had a meal, then thought I might as well have another shot at doing some astrophography.

First try at a planet, took a video then stacked.
Also moon was just rising before dawn so had a go at that as well.

Bit chilly standing outside (0° C ) but worth it.
Setting up equipment at 2am outside isn't a whole lot of fun, then trying to figure out why I couldn't get an image and I don't think the scope really cooled down enough, but I wasn't going to get another chance to get out for a couple of weeks.

Moon - Waning Crescent by Marc, on Flickr

Jupiter and moons by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Had a look at saturn on the weekend.

The camera isn't ideal for planets(pixels too large, not a fast framerate) but good enough for me

I took about an hour worth of carina nebula, and an hour of the running chicken nebula, both through my canon 600mmf4 lens. I just need to get around to processing them.

Saturn by Marc, on Flickr