Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah I guess I'll try and verify that, however if this is something users can experience when using the sd slot, my worries remain the same.

It could still actually just be a problem with your chip. Another SA user had similar problems and he checked the error logs in linux and figured out that the chip was unstable in 3d titles. I put roughly 50 hours a week into my Steam Deck and have not experienced a single crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Dramicus posted:

It could still actually just be a problem with your chip. Another SA user had similar problems and he checked the error logs in linux and figured out that the chip was unstable in 3d titles. I put roughly 50 hours a week into my Steam Deck and have not experienced a single crash.

I'll look into that next, the Hitman crash is reproducible (easily) at least, so I guess I could try escalating it to Steam Support once I have it on the SSD and such.

Alright, redownloaded it to the SSD and still the same issue going on. Are there any good resources on how to dig into this?

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Aya Neo 2 has been announced, and it will feature a substantially more powerful SoC than the Steam Deck: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/aya-neo-2-taps-rembrandt-apu-to-outmuscle-the-steam-deck

The GPU is theoretically capable of 2x the performance of the Steam Deck's GPU (+50% cores, +37.5% max boost clock), and the Zen 3 CPU should make it far better at emulation. But you should also probably expect it to be something like $1500.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Will it come with steamos? Because if steamdeck performance is something to go by, the power tweaks are going to be needed to save the battery.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Are there any good resources on how to dig into this?

Here are the other posts in this thread, sorry I can't do more than point you in that direction.

The 7th Guest posted:

i was finally able to sift through my system log and found the crash point of the gpu, which is a 'waiting for fences' timeout. googling that phrase to find troubleshooting posts from past linux computer users (ie not Steam Deck), it seems to be connected to the linux AMDGPU driver's dynamic power management. which, I guess that's a thing despite SteamOS having its own power management tools.. it's possible there's a conflict there, or just something the AMDGPU DPM is doing is causing these GPU hangs.

now i just have to figure out how to actually turn that amdgpu 'feature' off. it's not something you can do via commandline. i don't even know if this will outright fix the issues i'm having but i'll give it a shot, since i won't be requesting an RMA until mid-May.

i am still playing games despite this, it's just the problem solver part of my brain wants to work this out

Antigravitas posted:

Valve didn't create their own DPM for the GPU, they are using standard stuff.

The hang you are describing sounds like a hardware fault. There have been reports (and I've been personally affected by it) that some AMD silicon fails when it is driven as the spec allows, while on Windows certain features just aren't used at all. Like ATS: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220301201344.18191-18-sashal@kernel.org/

Generally, this is an AMD QC problem and one that has plagued them for years now. A certain percentage of their silicon leaves the factory at the edge of instability, which they try to paper over in software. As soon as an application comes along that hits just the right buttons, the hardware locks up.

The problem has gotten less severe in recent times afaik, but still. At one retailer that makes their return numbers public, the AMD RX 5600 reached a staggering rate of 50% RMA…

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

Will it come with steamos? Because if steamdeck performance is something to go by, the power tweaks are going to be needed to save the battery.

It will come with Windows 11. You can do power tweaking on other operating systems too, you know. hell, you can even do it with your desktop pc if you really want.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It will come with Windows 11. You can do power tweaking on other operating systems too, you know. hell, you can even do it with your desktop pc if you really want.

Can I press a single button and adjust this on the fly though without digging?

The surprising thing I'm taken by the Deck is the software itself. It's cool that this new handheld PC is going to be more powerful but the intricate tweaking I can do on the fly with the software is A+

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The deckOS is/will be freely avaiableso you'll be able to install it on there without issues, as the chip architecture is basically the same.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Can I press a single button and adjust this on the fly though without digging?

The surprising thing I'm taken by the Deck is the software itself. It's cool that this new handheld PC is going to be more powerful but the intricate tweaking I can do on the fly with the software is A+

It's a bit more complex than a button press using regular GPU software but it's not too hard usually. Though the Aya Neo comes with its own dashboard that will presumably control this stuff in a manner that's also quite convenient.

The onus will be on the aya neo people to actually implement this stuff in a manner that's as smooth and easy-to-use as the steam deck, but I think there's a decent chance they'll do it. They better, considering you'll probably be dropping 2x the money for one (compared to the 512GB steam deck)

Samopsa posted:

The deckOS is/will be freely avaiableso you'll be able to install it on there without issues, as the chip architecture is basically the same.

It's true that the OS will be freely available, but it's not certain that it will work on other handhelds without a hitch, including the power management software and poo poo. Even though the devices will use a similar architecture, they're not actually the same SoCs, and who knows how hardware-specific those steam deck OS features get.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 14, 2022

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's a bit more complex than a button press using regular GPU software but it's not too hard usually. Though the Aya Neo comes with its own dashboard that will presumably control this stuff in a manner that's also quite convenient.

The onus will be on the aya neo people to actually implement this stuff in a manner that's as smooth and easy-to-use as the steam deck, but I think there's a decent chance they'll do it. They better, considering you'll probably be dropping 2x the money for one (compared to the 512GB steam deck)

It's true that the OS will be freely available, but it's not certain that it will work on other handhelds without a hitch, including the power management software and poo poo. Even though the devices will use a similar architecture, they're not actually the same SoCs, and who knows how hardware-specific those steam deck OS features get.

Yeah, that is what I meant. I know windows does have tweakings, but it isn't something you can just pop with a quick press while in game like you can on the deck.

As for steamos, valve had already made it clear that they kind of expect this to be a one off and want other handhelds to jump in using steamos as well. So I don't see an issue of it being supported. Though, maybe not immediately. That is just speculation as they haven't released a desktop version of the os yet and apparently just got around to getting sound drivers available for windows.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb805CHWeks
The only thing not working yet is setting gpu clock and tdp from steam, everything else just works!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I was afraid of that when I got my iPhone XS Max, but it's going on 4 years now with no burn-in.

But I fix phones, and I do see a lot of Samsungs with bad burn-in. Mostly phones prior to the S10 though, so maybe either the tech improved or the software does something to help prevent it.

I still have my original Note 3, which is going on 9 years old, and its AMOLED display has no burn-in. I just use it as an around-the-house Youtube streamer nowadays, but still, like I said, the display is perfect after all these years. I've never had an issue with a new device's OLED display, but I have purchased a second-hand device or two with burn-in.

Audax posted:

Hey gently caress you

Hey, I said "no offense" for a reason! Someone else remarked about your hands, I was just pointing out that, otherwise, the Deck looked about the size I'd expect it to in another dude's hands, it's really not as huge as people think it is! And after all, you know what they say about guys with big hands.... :smug:

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that’s kinda the unfortunate nature of SD cards.

The SD market can be kinda a mess especially from Amazon.

Maybe they could have a more thorough SD card checker in the system utilities though.

SCheeseman posted:

SD cards are a clusterfuck, I've gotten fakes from retail.

Is there a preferred way to check SD cards for fakes? I've never had an issue with one, but because I hear so many horror stories from other people I tested the new one I bought for my Deck with "FakeFlashTest" and "ChipGenius" as suggested here. Any better ideas?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Here are the other posts in this thread, sorry I can't do more than point you in that direction.
just to be clear though, my crashes are specifically GPU hangs, where the screen freezes, the GPU resets and the screen goes black for a second, and returns to a frozen image (as I guess the game is not able to just reconnect to the restarted gpu?). so probably different than that person's more conventional error-message crashing. i don't even have an SD card in mine, i'm just going off the internal storage for everything. it's also completely on a game-by-game basis as some games i've run for many hours without any issues, while others (even 2D pixel ones) can crash the GPU after just a minute or two. Retro Machina forced a gpu reset during the company logos lol. while She Remembered Caterpillars never crashed after 4-5 hours of playing it, nor Soma Union (11 hours), or Radical Rabbit Stew (3 hours). i wish it was something more pinpointable beyond just general instability

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 15, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

just to be clear though, my crashes are specifically GPU hangs, where the screen freezes, the GPU resets and the screen goes black for a second, and returns to a frozen image (as I guess the game is not able to just reconnect to the restarted gpu?). so probably different than that person's more conventional error-message crashing. i don't even have an SD card in mine, i'm just going off the internal storage for everything. it's also completely on a game-by-game basis as some games i've run for many hours without any issues, while others (even 2D pixel ones) can crash the GPU after just a minute or two. Retro Machina forced a gpu reset during the company logos lol. while She Remembered Caterpillars never crashed after 4-5 hours of playing it, nor Soma Union (11 hours), or Radical Rabbit Stew (3 hours). i wish it was something more pinpointable beyond just general instability

Can you list more games that you are getting crashes in? Might be able to crowdsource if it's a general problem, or something just you are experiencing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Atomizer posted:

Is there a preferred way to check SD cards for fakes? I've never had an issue with one, but because I hear so many horror stories from other people I tested the new one I bought for my Deck with "FakeFlashTest" and "ChipGenius" as suggested here. Any better ideas?

All the programs do the same thing, write data to random locations along the entirety of the card and then read the exact same data from the exact same locations to verify the card wasn't lying about writing, so if you have a program that works there's not much reason to swap. That said, apparently Steam put (is putting?) one of those into the base Steam deck OS (and probably plugging it into the format SD card tool), probably because they were getting a bunch of early-release "bug reports" that just ended up being bad SD cards anyways

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Can you list more games that you are getting crashes in? Might be able to crowdsource if it's a general problem, or something just you are experiencing.
It's a problem that other Deck users have had that mostly resulted in RMAs for them. but yeah, some games that have had this problem...

crash every 10-20 minutes:
Some Distant Memory (Don't Starve/Paper Mario-esque 2.5D visuals)
Time Loader (3D)
Hellbound (3D)
Pixplode (2D but with a 3D rotation trick ala Fez)
Norco

crash every 5~ minutes:
Astrodogs (3D)
Toree 3D (...)
Machinika Museum (3D)
Heal (2D)
House Flipper (3D)

crash almost immediately:
Outbuddies DX (2D and a clickteam fusion game... i kind of thought that engine was ancient enough that it didn't even have hardware acceleration)
The Riftbreaker (3D)
Atomicrops (2D top-down pixel art game)
Retro Machina (as mentioned, it hung the gpu on the logos, the game itself is isometric bastion-style 2.5D)
Neurodeck (2D hand-drawn slay the spire like)
Tangledeep (2D pixel roguelike, has hung on the opening menus)

crashed once/twice at most in the span of hours of gameplay:
Song of Farca (mostly 2D but with a couple of 3D characters)
Serial Cleaner (2D)
Chronicles of Teddy (2D metroidvania)
Demetrios (2D)
Pixel Puzzle Makeout League (2D picross/VN)
Say No! More (3D arcadey story game from 2021)
SuperEpic (2D metroidvania)

never crashed:
Furmark (3D GPU benchmark)
Aperture Desk Job (3D, Valve's tech demo for the Deck)
Soma Union (RPG Maker)
Girls Like Robots (simple mobile-ish puzzle game)
She Remembered Caterpillars (hand-animated puzzle game)
Evan's Remains (2D platformer)
Biolab Wars (2D platformer)
Beyond Blue (3D ocean walking--er swimming simulator)
MindSeize
Milli & Greg
The World Next Door
Forgotton Anne (2.5D adventure platformer)
Panzer Paladin (2D platformer)
Sydney Hunter (2D platformer)
Mummy Sandbox (3D, albeit simple)
Radical Rabbit Stew (2D)
They Always Run (2D)
1001 Spikes (2D)
Gish (2D)
Super Fancy Pants Adventures (2D)
Hiveswap Friendsim (2D VN)
Songs for a Hero (2D)
River City Ransom Underground (2D)

I thought maybe it was a Unity thing but Outbuddies disproved that (and conversely, They Always Run and Sydney Hunter). also stuff like Aperture Desk Job pushes the GPU plenty and did not cause a hang, while something like Tangledeep is not something you would look at and think "this is gonna give a GPU problems!" Temperature's not an issue, framerate's not an issue, it's just these hangs :/

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 15, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Out of what you've listed I've got Tangledeep, Hellbound, and House Flipper and they all work fine without any crashes. I haven't played them for an enormous amount of time on the deck yet, but I've got 1-2 hours in Hellbound & House Flipper and over 5 hours in Tangledeep and had no problems.

Have you tried doing a factory reset of your deck? If it's a problem with your GPU, it won't solve anything but I suppose there's a small chance of something being borked in the install I guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

not yet. i'm also wondering if future amdgpu/mesa updates might alleviate the issue. but for now i'm just playing the games that don't have crashing issues, until i run out of them

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So my Hitman OS crashing problem? Resolved through Steam Support by changing it to Proton 7, I think it was running the native Linux binaries before.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have a 256 gig SD card installed in my 512 and I just now noticed that steam (seemingly random) has installed games on it.

It’s mostly the smaller indie games though but I really had no idea they were running off the SD card.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MarcusSA posted:

I have a 256 gig SD card installed in my 512 and I just now noticed that steam (seemingly random) has installed games on it.

It’s mostly the smaller indie games though but I really had no idea they were running off the SD card.

It sets the SD to default automatically.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

So my Hitman OS crashing problem? Resolved through Steam Support by changing it to Proton 7, I think it was running the native Linux binaries before.

Feral Interactive strikes again!

It’s somewhat common that Feral Interactive Linux ports actually run worse than the Windows version under Proton does.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Man, about three weeks in and I love this thing. Basically great all around and getting significantly better with each update, and they're coming in fast.

Main use until now: hanging around the house playing dark souls, elden ring, platformers like Celeste and super meat boy, and some chill games like vampire survivors. Most with Spotify running as well, and frequently switching to chrome to look up stuff and browse.

It's also very nice to use as a YouTube-machine: larger screen compared to my phone and blocking ads is a big big plus.

The hardware is excellent and it's no problem to use for longer periods of time. I got the 256gb one with a 512gb sd card and i cannot tell any difference between them in terms of loading times, everything is smooth as hell.

Only two downsides so far: the fan is quite loud under stress (but really acceptable under light loads since the update), and in steamOS mode I frequently have trouble closing non-steam games/apps like chrome and such, requiring a quick reboot. Oh, and Bluetooth pairing is a hassle sometimes but that's not unique to the deck.

I would 100% recommend this thing instead of a gaming laptop if you want something to use on the couch. I did that for 10 years and now my laptop has been mostly gathering dust the past month!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s somewhat common that Feral Interactive Linux ports actually run worse than the Windows version under Proton does.

Yeah, with how amazing Proton has been, I'm almost certainly going to switch to a linux distro on my gaming desktop the next time I do an upgrade. I'm not going to bother with Windows 11 at this point.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Atomizer posted:

I prefer http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/

It's in the repos, there's a gui (f3-qt), and it does the job without fuss. If you have a fake card, f3 can also create a partition on it that represents the amount of storage it actually has.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe

Samopsa posted:

and in steamOS mode I frequently have trouble closing non-steam games/apps like chrome and such, requiring a quick reboot.

Try closing by going to Steam Menu > Home > Chrome (or other app that hangs) and hit the X when inside.
I sometimes have hanging issues with some emulators and closing that specific way helps.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Pirate Jet posted:

Sad to hear that, it's really weird, because the whole launcher is completely different. I don't understand how it got verified without some sort of flag for which compatability mode to use though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It got verified as a native game.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Has anyone noticed the track pad haptics being really inconsistent?
There's a few reddit threads about it too. For me my left track pad stopped giving any haptics at all for clicking or moving and sometimes my on screen keyboard clicks with one or both track pads just doesn't work and it seems totally random

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Left trackpad haptics are a little scattershot for me, yeah. That's probably gonna be an interesting RCA. I don't really care as long as the input registers though, and that's been rock solid so far.

edit have I mentioned that I love this thing? I love this thing. Installed Battletech from GOG in native desktop mode, runs perfectly and I can't believe I have this on the go now. What a time to be alive.

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 16, 2022

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Has anyone played Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the Deck? How did it handle it and what settings did you use? Thinking about knocking it off my backlog next.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Samopsa posted:

Only two downsides so far: the fan is quite loud under stress (but really acceptable under light loads since the update), and in steamOS mode I frequently have trouble closing non-steam games/apps like chrome and such, requiring a quick reboot. Oh, and Bluetooth pairing is a hassle sometimes but that's not unique to the deck.

This should be fixed in an upcoming update unless you are on the beta build now.

It’s seems like they made it significantly quieter

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I still think eventually I'll replace the fan, seems easy enough.

The 7th Guest posted:

It's a problem that other Deck users have had that mostly resulted in RMAs for them. but yeah, some games that have had this problem...

I think you have a GPU that is bombing out in specific circumstances. You probably need to RMA and get a new one. This isn't a design issue, you got a piece of bad hardware.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pray for my email goons, be my strength.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

sigher posted:

Pray for my email goons, be my strength.

My email came a week before the calculator predicted. Peace be with you

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

For me it's this drat US 512gb queue, it seems like it's the slowest to get through since they're only moving like, 2 minutes a week.
At least I'm 25:something and they're at minute 23, but that could easily push me into next week.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I must be a big dummy because I can’t figure this out. I got FFXIV all set up and it worked fine yesterday but they did an update today and I’m getting this screen

It’s a window that pops up over the game. If I go into desktop mode the I can select the second window with the game running just fine and the game is running behind it right now in gaming mode but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to switch off this screen lol

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just got an email for my 64gb model. You guys don't have to cancel your preorders anymore.

The estimator I used thought it would be here in June, so I'm glad that it was wrong.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think the estimator is going off the rails, wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of people who received emails (like me) can't update the google form with their preorder timestamp bc the Steam API clears that field once the order confirmation email is sent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Eyy just got my email for the 256 gig model, the calculator predicted the 30th lol