Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

I had a darn near identical experience when my 690 forks started weeping. Thought ah dammit I gotta do this whole thing now?! Then I ran across seal mate and figured no way it could work but now I HAD to try it. Darned if it didn't permanently fix the leak (at least until I sold it then who knows). I could make one out of a milk jug but I feel alright about giving money to the people who popularized a way to save me $$$ and time on fork work. It lives in my tool role now just in case.

pro tip: you can clip the seal mate around the non shiny part of your fork to always have it on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is how i imagine rev Dr Moses looks in real life

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7097009848906239278
Since you brought it up, no, that bike is too new

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I went and checked out a Yamaha demo ride yesterday. Just a ~25 minute loop around the dealer I tried the Ténéré 700 first. First thing I noticed was how smooth it was. I couldn't even tell it was running until I started moving. It felt a little wide, but I think I could have adjusted my controls if I was given more time. Overall pretty fun and the engine was friendly enough that it (or the MT or R7) would be a great second bike.

Then I took out the Tracer 9 GT. I was unimpressed. It was also extremely smooth and comfortable, both desirable for a sport tourer I suppose. I tried a few different riding modes to make sure I wasn't handicapping myself. Up/down quick shifter felt like cheating too.

Maybe my brain is broken from riding Buells and DRZ, so the Yamahas not feeling like they're going to rattle themselves apart is boring.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Deeters posted:

I went and checked out a Yamaha demo ride yesterday. Just a ~25 minute loop around the dealer I tried the Ténéré 700 first. First thing I noticed was how smooth it was. I couldn't even tell it was running until I started moving. It felt a little wide, but I think I could have adjusted my controls if I was given more time. Overall pretty fun and the engine was friendly enough that it (or the MT or R7) would be a great second bike.

Then I took out the Tracer 9 GT. I was unimpressed. It was also extremely smooth and comfortable, both desirable for a sport tourer I suppose. I tried a few different riding modes to make sure I wasn't handicapping myself. Up/down quick shifter felt like cheating too.

Maybe my brain is broken from riding Buells and DRZ, so the Yamahas not feeling like they're going to rattle themselves apart is boring.

I only sat on the new models at the dealer, but the owner had his Tenere 700 on the showroom floor for people to check out (all their inventory for the year is already pre-sold, it's a popular bike! Good for the used market in a few years). The ergonomics on it felt really good and it seemed pretty comfortable. I liked it a lot, but they're so expensive. The Tracer is a bit of a sales flop apparently. It thought the seat was surprisingly wide at the front, and not that comfortable. The sales guy said it's because it has a completely different rear subframe to the MT09 to accommodate the larger fuel tank, which makes it wider in the legs. You can see it on the bike if you're up close.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I saw a couple of Tenere 700's at the One Motorcycle Show a couple weeks ago in the parking lot, but it was the first time I had seen one in person. Also saw the new Husqy ADV bike, too.

If you want a Tenere, you'd better have cash and a friend at the dealership. People loving love them.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I really liked the Ténéré. It had enough power to not feel like the DRZ at highway speeds (also the 6th gear), but was still light enough for fun offroading. I'm definitely not ready to fight the supply chain to get one though.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Geekboy posted:

I saw a couple of Tenere 700's at the One Motorcycle Show a couple weeks ago in the parking lot, but it was the first time I had seen one in person. Also saw the new Husqy ADV bike, too.

If you want a Tenere, you'd better have cash and a friend at the dealership. People loving love them.

jelly

I went a few years back when it was in the pickle factory and it was excellent

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Téńérë

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Ténéré (Tuareg: Tenere, literally: "desert") is a desert region in the south central Sahara.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

I can't tell if my timing is off a tooth or if it's just poo poo.
The little bike was way overdue for a valve check and adjustment. Never done it.
It took me three tries. The third try I took the cam cover off instead of just looking at the magneto mark and intake valve.

My first two attempts they were too loose, very loud, backfired once.
I think I got it the third. Sounds good and rides good.

Think the timing is off or just dogshit?
I don't want to rip the whole head off if it does need to be reset. I wonder if I could hold the magneto while using an air ratchet on the cam sprocket.

It's riding ok.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looks off a tooth to me but on some bikes that isn't a huge issue. If it's riding good I wouldn't be too worried

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The timing is advanced/retarded by one tooth, you can clearly see the crank is lined up to the mark while the cam is a whole tooth off.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hm. Thanks. I'll contact the dealership to see if that is intentional.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Lmao so precious

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Contact the dealership and make them fix it for free

E: oh, I thought the dealership did this. You just need to move it one tooth on the cam and you’ll be good. I’ve never seen a bike where those marks were off by more than a millimeter or two, they are generally pretty exact to avoid this type of confusion.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I don't know what you mean about the air ratchet. Just undo the tensioner so the chain has some slack off the cam gear and turn it back one, then pop it back on and retension. It's way less difficult than you're thinking it is

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I didn't do this, it came like it or jumped without me noticing.

I tried loosening the tensioner but couldn't get the chain to skip a tooth. I think I need to pull the cam sprocket, turn the cam by hand, and then angle the sprocket back in? Trying to get the cam sprocket off turns the crank. I need someone to sit on it or I need to find a way to stop the magneto from turning.

Curiosity is getting the best of me and I am really curious how it would run it the timing was actually right.

Edit: I was able to get it off by sitting on the bike and using an air ratchet reaching down to the cam sprocket.
I don't really know how I feel about it. Did some test riding. Going to leave it "fixed" for a bit, TDC aligned on both cam and magneto.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 15, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's only turning the crank because it's turning the chain, that should be the only thing connecting the cam gear to the crank. You just need to get the chain loose enough to move the gear on its own, but yeah you may need to dissemble things a bit to reach that point

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think he means the engine turns over when he tries to undo the cam sprocket nuts. You can either use a rattlegun or put it in top gear and get someone to stamp on the brake. If you get the sprocket off then you just need to shift the chain on it by one link and bolt it back on.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Today I saw 3, 3!, different bikes running slicks, wtf. A ZX-10R, S1000RR, and a 701SM oddly enough. The two liter bikes both had chicken strips of course.

A bird flew into me. The road was closed a mile or two ahead, so I turned around. I saw it lying in the road, so I was going to at least move it off to the shoulder. By the time I turned around, a car ran over it :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:rip: birdo

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
How'd the bird feel? I mean from your perspective not the bird's.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I hit a junebug and it feels like getting shot with a paintball gun.

Hitting a bird must suck.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It just felt like getting hit by a tennis ball or something. Definitely an impact but it didn't hurt, luckily.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Toe Rag posted:

It just felt like getting hit by a tennis ball or something. Definitely an impact but it didn't hurt, luckily.

Well that’s good. I remember a strip of tire hitting me across the chest and I had a bruise for weeks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rolo posted:

Yeah I hit a junebug and it feels like getting shot with a paintball gun.

Hitting a bird must suck.

When you think about it, a junebug is not unlike a paintball. A hard chitinous shell filled with bug juice. A small bird on the other hand is all puffy feathers, soft tissues, and thin, hollow bones. It's going to have a lot more give. A tennis ball sounds about right.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Me, going 90 into an ostrich: “tennis ball tennis ball tennis ball”

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

Today I saw 3, 3!, different bikes running slicks, wtf.

ha. i use those diablo slicks at the track. all models of that tire come with a huge sticker that says “dont roll these tires in temps colder than 45F” and they mean it.

the rubber compound turns to stone. ive rolled the track bike around the garage in the winter on old sicks and the rubber cracked like it was made out of bathroom tile porcelain.

would be curious what model they used. theres a few diff compounds, S0 -> S3, going from softest to hardest. the softest ones would be best to try and ride street with but lol if it was anything harder than that. they would never get up to temp with street riding.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

the mind boggles.

pirelli makes those racing slick tires with sipes cut into them if you must. still not street legal….

also they also make “track day” compound thats really soft and would actually be legal and pleasant to ride hard on the street.

you really have so many choices to skip over before you arrive at “worst possible tire for street riding”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some very cool dude told them it was a great idea and they're such fast riders they can keep them on the boil even in traffic. Seen it all before, fucken eedjits

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Exactly. Liter bikes are fine, chicken strips are fine, slicks (at the track) are fine! All those together, and you really have to wonder what is going on in their mind. These are roads where you're rarely going more than 60mph, unless you're extremely reckless.I have Bridgestone RS10s on my lil buddy (which I do track, otherwise I probably would have gone with a more street-oriented tire). They are more than enough, and surely even better than a slick on the street, because they're designed for that type of riding. They'll also last more than a few heat cycles and a hundred or so miles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A slick, unless it's basically a 2 lap qualifier and you have a closed road and are literally rossi, will just never get hot enough on the road and yeah, when they aren't up to temp the grip is garbage and the carcass is made of rocks and you are substantially worse off than you would be on even a mediocre street tyre let alone something made for the job. There's just nowhere near enough energy being put into them, especially the front, and loads of time between turns where they're free to cool off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have no problem keeping my R3 tires on the boil though.

My shits hot hot hot.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
My friend's fairings blew off on his CBR1000RR. Pretty sure the local bike shop prolly overtorqued them. Since the mechanic isn't an official dealer, no warranty coverage. The fairings snapped actually near the mount points.

The TCO of that bike of his seems kind of high. He's going through tires every 1000 miles. Granted he's going fast and doesn't want to use sport touring tires.

He's gonna have to drop 1k on new plastics. Oof.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
What country is that? In the UK you don't have to use main dealers to maintain a warranty, just have "official" parts used during any work.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
'merica
Yeah he's getting a lot of run around.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

My friend's fairings blew off on his CBR1000RR. Pretty sure the local bike shop prolly overtorqued them. Since the mechanic isn't an official dealer, no warranty coverage. The fairings snapped actually near the mount points.

The TCO of that bike of his seems kind of high. He's going through tires every 1000 miles. Granted he's going fast and doesn't want to use sport touring tires.

He's gonna have to drop 1k on new plastics. Oof.

This happened to me specifically on Cinco De Mayo last year and I can tell you it was certainly my dumb rear end over torquing them after I changed my oil. Still haven’t gotten replacements. :lol:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He could try his insurance, the shop should have liability. He'll pretty much have to prove they hosed it up but might work (although his deductible might be close to a grand anyways)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is he just doing burnouts left and right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

Is he just doing burnouts left and right?

Mmm...he does practice quick stopping a lot.
He had his ECU sent in for modifications. I know he's regularly going over 200mph. He rides around in full leathers. He knows how to ride well but I still think he's going to die.