Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Bad crew ergonomics hurting performance has been a major "feature" of Soviet military tech going back to at least the original T-34... and Soviet Union has also been way behind in electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

I know this is somewhat tangential, but I just read this in the Independent and it is making my brain hurt and I just have to tell someone.

It's one of the less absolutely terrible newspapers, so I can't discard it immediately.

It just hurts. Ow.

UK sounding a lot like the Kremlin bitching about their security concerns.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Really good article in the New Yorker, ostesibly about the occupation of Melitopol but it touches on the whole southern occupied portion of Ukraine. Based on interviews with people who escaped Melitopol and the mayor who was kidnapped then released.
https://twitter.com/yaffaesque/status/1526201852068503554?s=20&t=ZD52tIYJx1A1jU_Bav5AEg
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/05/23/a-ukrainian-city-under-a-violent-new-regime
It's long but I highly recommend reading it. It gives a picture of how the Russians are handling the occupation, and what kind of things they do even in cities that surrendered without a fight.

One gem:

quote:

Nearby, I came across two mothers and their teen-age daughters, drinking tea and having a bite to eat. I asked what made them decide to leave. “It’s like the nineties have returned,” Larisa, one of the mothers, said. Instead of driving to the supermarket, she hauled bags back from the open-air market. Lines were everywhere. She had adopted a nickname for the armored vehicles that Russian soldiers drove around town, often with a big letter “Z”—the symbol of the Russian invasion—painted on the side: zalupa mashiny, or “dickhead mobiles.” “We understood that it won’t be like this for one or two months, but for much longer,” Larisa said. For three days they had tried, unsuccessfully, to pass a checkpoint on the outskirts of Melitopol. Finally, on their fourth try, soldiers let them through.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

And we'd have to assume, given Russia's habits: They will either be tortured or killed.

That's what I was thinking. What with Russia's track record with civilians (never mind enemy soldiers that have been actively resisting them for months), I hope people are keeping an eye on those POW so they don't 'disappear'.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
How long have Russia and Ukraine been at it now?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

papa horny michael posted:

How long have Russia and Ukraine been at it now?

Technically since 27 February of 2014, so over 8 years when Crimea was annexed by force. But this most recent phrase has been 2 months 19 days since the large-scale invasion of Ukraine

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Arguably about 314 years, with some major pauses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Every few days, Russian officials came to Fedorov’s office to demand that he stop the demonstrations. It was a case of projection: protests in Russia are either nonexistent or imagined to be the work of outside forces. But in the modern political culture of Ukraine, Fedorov said, demonstrations are “part of our DNA.” If a person doesn’t like her President, or her mayor, for that matter, she takes to the streets and says so. “They couldn’t believe that I wasn’t organizing these protests and paying for them,” Fedorov told me. “They said, ‘Stop the protests!’ And I answered, ‘I can’t.’ ”

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

Really good article in the New Yorker, ostesibly about the occupation of Melitopol but it touches on the whole southern occupied portion of Ukraine. Based on interviews with people who escaped Melitopol and the mayor who was kidnapped then released.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/05/23/a-ukrainian-city-under-a-violent-new-regime
It's long but I highly recommend reading it. It gives a picture of how the Russians are handling the occupation, and what kind of things they do even in cities that surrendered without a fight.

One gem:

This part was interesting, as it really sums up how the attitudes of Russian speakers in southeastern Ukraine have evolved over time:

quote:

“If Russian troops had come to Melitopol in 2014, they would indeed have been welcomed with bread and salt,” Fedorov told me, using a Russian expression that means to be greeted with hospitality. Putin’s acts of aggression since then have changed public attitudes. Melitopol was once a hub for visitors headed to Crimea, but that connection was all but severed following Russia’s annexation of the peninsula. The war in the Donbas, where Russia stoked a separatist conflict for eight years, further soured residents’ feelings toward their neighbor. “We didn’t want to see Melitopol become a banana republic,” Vlad Pryima, Serhii’s twenty-two-year-old son, who works in I.T., said. “And it became clear that’s what one should expect under Russian rule.”

They really, really do not want to end up living in yet another 'people's republic'.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Every time I read something about how the Russians perspective on the world and how they operate I am horrified by the influence over thinking of the state media apparatus. It's like 1984 made real.

Sure is some scary sobering stuff about the realities of the modern world.

If there is a next generation of Russian leader, how will they make sense of the world as it is vs what they were taught. Unless of course like all elites, they got a western education first.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

Every time I read something about how the Russians perspective on the world and how they operate I am horrified by the influence over thinking of the state media apparatus. It's like 1984 made real.

If there is a next generation of Russian leader, how will they make sense of the world as it is vs what they were taught. Unless of course like all elites, they got a western education first.

The ROI for deluding your population is huge in the short and medium term but carries a major negative feedback loop over generations.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

What anecdotes like this tell me is the entire political apparatus of Russia can no longer even fathom the idea of actual democracy, so basically all of it and everyone will have to go before Russia can even start to move away from the nightmare state it is now.

Unfortunately it seems at the moment enough of the Russian populace have dined on the propaganda that supports this, so even if they wanted a change in leadership it might not change the format, just the players.

The Russian people are the only ones who can fix this, and if they do it'll probably take decades. We're looking at Russia being a pariah state for most of this century.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

I know this is somewhat tangential, but I just read this in the Independent and it is making my brain hurt and I just have to tell someone.

It's one of the less absolutely terrible newspapers, so I can't discard it immediately.

It just hurts. Ow.

They are not comparable in any way, what a sleazy comparison by the UK government.

One got invaded by a foreign power, the other signed up to an legally binding agreement and the EU has already cut them enough slack over Northern Ireland (guaranteed access to medical supplies and greatly reduced paperwork for the movement of goods).

Pacta sunt servanda as the saying goes and the Northern Ireland protocol was what they wanted and happily signed up for.

As a N.I. resident i'm fairly pissed off at being used in a diplomatic tennis match by the Tory government. :rolleyes:

tbh the UK leaders need to actually suffer to get some sense into them but only the public are getting shafted thus far.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Bel Shazar posted:

The ROI for deluding your population is huge in the short and medium term but carries a major negative feedback loop over generations.

Including but not limited to that eventually only people saturated in the brainworms are left to filter up to leadership positions, quickly replacing "people who still somewhat understand reality and are just using the disinformation to control the populace" with "deranged true believers who lost capacity for rational assessment of what's real"

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Just Another Lurker posted:

They are not comparable in any way, what a sleazy comparison by the UK government.

One got invaded by a foreign power, the other signed up to an legally binding agreement and the EU has already cut them enough slack over Northern Ireland (guaranteed access to medical supplies and greatly reduced paperwork for the movement of goods).

Pacta sunt servanda as the saying goes and the Northern Ireland protocol was what they wanted and happily signed up for.

As a N.I. resident i'm fairly pissed off at being used in a diplomatic tennis match by the Tory government. :rolleyes:

tbh the UK leaders need to actually suffer to get some sense into them but only the public are getting shafted thus far.

Be pissed at the DUP. This whole mess is happening because they poo poo their pants and are now throwing a tantrum that everyone else isn't going to clean it up for them. They could have just voted for Theresa May's intial soft Brexit plans and none of this poo poo would have happened.

But no. No. The DUP voted it down because a soft Brexit didn't hurt Sinn Fein enough for their liking and now they're holding all of Northern Ireland hostage because everyone else proceeded to take the only other option left.

Fuckers.

I don't think I can properly convey just how incandescently angry they make me without getting put on a watchlist.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

https://twitter.com/morcos_pierre/status/1526200062984048641

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Flying anything at all in a war zone when you don't have air supremacy takes balls of steel, but flying low over flat terrain in daylight is not a particularly difficult piloting skill.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Djarum posted:

Skill and an rear end in a top hat made of Diamond. They are sub 200 feet from the ground going at what looks like to be about 300 knots. There are a ton of reason why flying that slow and fast is dangerous and many completely out of a pilot’s control. Those Ukrainian pilots are crazy as hell.

I look forward to when they have F-16s. They are going to do stuff that makes the Israeli’s look tame.

How do you say 'Highway to the Danger Zone' in Ukranian?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Time...for MAPS
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1526231508914442241?s=20&t=cZM5TRl4PmCknnSejCm_cA
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1526243274817949696?s=20&t=cZM5TRl4PmCknnSejCm_cA
Note on confirmations:
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1526232806158123008?s=20&t=cZM5TRl4PmCknnSejCm_cA

Also I don't follow this twitter person as closely but he's followed by a number of accounts I've found very reliable including Jomini and Konrad Muzyka of Rochan Consulting. I personally suspect he's someone more well known's alt
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1526218539476127744?s=20&t=cZM5TRl4PmCknnSejCm_cA
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1526229364853342208?s=20&t=cZM5TRl4PmCknnSejCm_cA

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

So it was about sanctions for Turkey it seems.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1526249275503648768
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1526250363778654213

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

DandyLion posted:

F-16 is the superior dogfighter (not to mention the way better avionics allow for less stress load on the pilot and easier time flying/killing).

The Mig-29 was a great aircraft worthy of the concern of NATO and NATO fighter pilots… in 1983.

The real problem with the Mig-29 is that, when compared to say an F-16, very little about the aircraft and it’s electronics has changed since 1983.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

This sounds like a big deal since it matches the predictions for the start of the Ukrainian counter offensive. If they can secure that bridgehead then Russian supply to izyum is under major threat.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Be pissed at the DUP. This whole mess is happening because they poo poo their pants and are now throwing a tantrum that everyone else isn't going to clean it up for them. They could have just voted for Theresa May's intial soft Brexit plans and none of this poo poo would have happened.

But no. No. The DUP voted it down because a soft Brexit didn't hurt Sinn Fein enough for their liking and now they're holding all of Northern Ireland hostage because everyone else proceeded to take the only other option left.

Fuckers.

I don't think I can properly convey just how incandescently angry they make me without getting put on a watchlist.

They thought it would give them a solid border with Éire, DUP = Don't Understand Politics, a political party with a bunker mentality.

That's my angry tangental reply done. :shobon:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chalks posted:

This sounds like a big deal since it matches the predictions for the start of the Ukrainian counter offensive. If they can secure that bridgehead then Russian supply to izyum is under major threat.

Yep. Next stop, Luhansk.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

Flying anything at all in a war zone when you don't have air supremacy takes balls of steel, but flying low over flat terrain in daylight is not a particularly difficult piloting skill.

Its not very easy either, planes tend to lose altitude during turns so you must compensate for that. A mistake maneuvering at this altitude will be deadly.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sekenr posted:

Its not very easy either, planes tend to lose altitude during turns so you must compensate for that. A mistake maneuvering at this altitude will be deadly.

Not counting temperature, atmospheric and wind issues as well. Flying at low altitudes, especially at high speeds, has a ton of variables in the air. If you are at 5-10,000 feet and you hit a rough patch of air and lose 25-100 feet it is a non issue, you are sub 200 feet and that can mean you are dead before you know it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Putin is sounding pretty defeated in all his latest appearances.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

So they just trash the Russians trying to cross this river, two days in a row, and then just cheerfully do it themselves in one try. I'm sure that's just great for morale among any Russian forces with the perspective to be aware of it.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

WaltherFeng posted:

Putin is sounding pretty defeated in all his latest appearances.

You ever wonder what it's got to be like still having to spew out the sorry bullshit day after day when you are well aware everything's hosed and no solutions are forthcoming? Like what's the psychological talent set you need to continue Baghdad Bobbin through it without losing the kayfabe

Akratic Method posted:

So they just trash the Russians trying to cross this river, two days in a row, and then just cheerfully do it themselves in one try. I'm sure that's just great for morale among any Russian forces with the perspective to be aware of it.

They just drive over the helpful pile of corpses and tank bits

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Akratic Method posted:

The UA also posted this yesterday

https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/status/1525900641440342016

lol

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I hope Russia loses this war and someone can make a Downfall meme except with Putin

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I think the question is no longer in doubt whether Ukraine wins this war; the question is what happens in Russia next?

Does Russia take this political, strategic, and cultural disaster and:

Revolution and reform

Palace Coup from a Putin Flunkie

Retreat further into Hermit Kingdom status and Ukraine becomes the South Korea of the East (Heavily militarized, heavy economic and capital investments)

Would a Russia without Putin be more open to cooling tensions with the West?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I always thought Sun Tzu was a bunch of generic obvious bullshit but the whole

“know the enemy and yourself and you need not fear the result of a hundred battles, know yourself but not the enemy and for every victory you will suffer a defeat, if you know neither the enemy or yourself you will succumb in every battle”

thing just keeps getting proven in this war over and over again. Russia critically failed to understand itself and Ukraine’s real strength, and Ukraine is getting detailed real time information from NATO driving its remarkable success.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

An interesting thread comparing recently leaked internal Russian loss reports for their tank regiments with visually confirmed losses recorded by Oryx

https://twitter.com/partizan_oleg/status/1526199389764874240

Long story short, it's possible that visually confirmed losses cover 77-82% of total Russian losses. These numbers may have dropped off as the war became more about artillery and less close combat with ATGMs, but it's really impressive coverage and gives us a more accurate lower bound for estimating Russian losses.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

TulliusCicero posted:

I think the question is no longer in doubt whether Ukraine wins this war; the question is what happens in Russia next?

Revolution and reform

Retreat further into Hermit Kingdom status and Ukraine becomes the South Korea of the East (Heavily militarized, heavy economic and capital investments)

I would argue Ukraine at this point is more Cadia than South Korea.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

I always thought Sun Tzu was a bunch of generic obvious bullshit but the whole

“know the enemy and yourself and you need not fear the result of a hundred battles, know yourself but not the enemy and for every victory you will suffer a defeat, if you know neither the enemy or yourself you will succumb in every battle”

thing just keeps getting proven in this war over and over again. Russia critically failed to understand itself and Ukraine’s real strength, and Ukraine is getting detailed real time information from NATO driving its remarkable success.

It's been commented elsewhere, but a lot of the Art of War that people gloss over pertains to logistics. Specifically, rough guides of how much food you need to feed an army, how many carts, how far they can travel each day, etc. The rest is brilliant insight like “You can be sure in succeeding in your attacks if you only attack places which are undefended".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Revolution and reform

Well, considering that WW1 losses on the Eastern Front blew into full scale civil war and Afghanistan+economic problems caused Soviet Union to just stop existing, its really anyone's guess. Although that much is pretty given that as long as Putin or anyone whom the current inner circle stays in power the tensions do not start to cool down.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Akratic Method posted:

Would we have heard about any aborted attempts though? Sure we would have almost certainly seen if there was a mid-crossing disaster like what happened with Russia, but who knows how many times the Ukrainian forces got spotted in the early phases of a bridging attempt and hosed off before it all went really sideways.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Inferior Third Season posted:

At the risk of sounding ghoulish, I still eagerly await Top Gun 3 with a Ukrainian cast in a decade or so.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

What I think would be interesting to know is did the US / NATO have any idea as to the true state of the Russian military and if so, for long have they known. Unless the entire Russian regime is overthrown and replaced (extremely unlikely) we probably won't find out for another 40 years or so as I can't imagine the west wanting to show off how deeply it had penetrated the Russian government / military.

They seem to have penetrated deep, as evidenced by how US was sounding the horns months in advance of the invasion. However, the Ukrainian triumphant defense was clearly a surprise to the US as they probably would've prepared the current aid packages better and in advance had they been confident in Ukraine's defense. Also, I recall reading some US official saying that Ukraine's defensive success was a surprise.