Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
Multiple times now I've fallen for the DS2 fans talking about how it's secretly great and the only reason people hate it is because they're too attached to the lore or didn't like the innovative changes and I try to replay it. Then I remember that it both looks and plays like doo-doo. PS2 rear end textures and visuals and awful encounter design with completely unresponsive, sluggish, poorly animated combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

FlocksOfMice posted:

I gotta replay 2 I think, because I have the most fond memories of it compared to any other. Maybe I'm doing some serious memory holing but I remember feeling like the player was way more robust in 2 than in 3, with way more fun options for builds and varied styles? I don't remember 2 being tedious like, at all. Elden Ring is tedious as hell.

Like, Elden Ring has a handful of actual enemies at the most? Half the game is just fighting Footsoldier, Soldier, and Knight in different color-schemes in overworld areas you can just run through and ignore, or in copy-pasted underground caves. Also like it has a tiny handful of unique bosses that aren't just "enemy but with healthbar" or "guy you fought and are fighting again I guess" like tree spirit or magma worm. DKS2 has a lot more unique encounters??

I'm gonna reinstall it and see if it feels super jank and terrible and I'm willing to eat crow if I gotta but like that's fine Ornifex got that monster girl thing going for her anyway.

there's an adaptability tax but once you're playing you realize that with how many souls you get from bosses it isn't as prohibitive as it seems. you can level up REAL fast in ds2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I played this game for 200 hours and never saw a ball bearing hunter lol whoops

same lol don’t even know what they are

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dyz posted:

In a tossup between the most barebones story possible and the most sequel-y story possible Ill pick barebones everytime.

See I pick whatever is interesting regardless of source, if it’s a sequel that doesn’t mean anything to me personally

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Tolth posted:

I've been like "Huh why did I never see a single Night's Cavalry in my first playthrough" and now I realise I just suck at the game.

Yeah same. If it wasn’t a From game, I’d suggest that it was international - when you’re new and learning the game, you’ll die more often, avoiding the scary things that come out at night. Then on NG+ or your second playthrough, you rip through the early game, only to run face-first into cavalry, bb hunters, and… evil birds apparently? (I haven’t seen a death bird yet)

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Powerstancing (such as it is) Meteorite Staffs doubles the buff to gravity magic, right? I did that last night to finally beat Placidasux, and while it was the first time I've trouble Meteorite Staff X2, so I can't say I tested it rigorously, it sure seemed to make the Astel meteors hit extra hard.

Either way, now on to NG+ for a few items I missed in my first play through, so I can powerstance those. Probably should respec to something other than INT mage or blood crow, but both are so much fun it's hard to change them up.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Elden Ring is hard, but you can easily change strategy with one of the 5 billion weapons and super convenient summons. Also obviously the exploration, the scope, the this, the that, it deserves all of its praise. Radahn alone puts it in the running for best game ever. Just loving incredible stuff all around.

Bloodborne is stupid hard but you can muscle through with learning boss moves which are really basic. Like The One Reborn is just "stand by legs" and Hemwick witch is "just ignore red guys and run around". Also by far the easiest game to just run past everything. Hit da bricks extreme.

Demon's Souls is confounding and I have no idea how someone can play it without using a wiki, but it has by far my favorite combat, bosses, levels, upgrade system, etc. Like once you know exactly how everything works that game is so slick.

Sekiro was gorgeous until I hit the impenetrable brick wall of the fan lady and gave up.

Dark Souls is clunky as gently caress. Like it feels stripped down and you spend too long in the "oh god don't hurt me" phase before you become a godslayer. But the progression and the levels stacked on themselves design is gorgeous. This may be a lot of bias because I played it after the DS remake and played the first few hours of Sekiro.

Dark Souls 3 is more linear and fixes most of the problems, but also goes a little soft because of it, and I don't even remember if it had a story.

Dark Souls 2 is diarrhea from a butt.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 16, 2022

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

same lol don’t even know what they are

A big red invader-style rear end in a top hat which appears near certain graces at night.

The first is @ Warmaster's Shack. Go there at night. Bernahl will be missing (assuming he hasn't already moved to Volcano Manor) and the Bell Bearing Hunter will appear.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Am I instead remembering some sort of fever dream, or at some point did someone post about having trouble with Commander Niall (Castle Sol) and the solution was to "convert" one of the knights to your side, a'la Undead Rapport or something similar?

Is there a similar spell/item in ER?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

HaB posted:

- enemies on turntables. A trend I was disappointed to see ER bringing back. :(

this is related to my main gripe which was that so many bosses were knights with seemingly infinite poise/stamina with movesets that'd slide them across the arena

No Dignity posted:

Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made, period. I don't think if anything is ever going to knock that off the perch for best Souls game for me

trying to imagine a new focused game like bloodborne by fromsoft with a giant budget after the success of elden ring and getting unreasonably horny. i would think it'd be impossible to top bloodborne, but i also didn't think elden ring would manage to bring their incredible level design to an entire open world so...

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

HaB posted:

Am I instead remembering some sort of fever dream, or at some point did someone post about having trouble with Commander Niall (Castle Sol) and the solution was to "convert" one of the knights to your side, a'la Undead Rapport or something similar?

Is there a similar spell/item in ER?

The bewitching branch! I used it against the summons from Niall

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i still miss with how ds1 parry timings worked you could get absurdly consistent and be virtually untouchable by humanoids with weapons

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can still do that. Ongball has done many party only vids

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

FlocksOfMice posted:

Like, Elden Ring has a handful of actual enemies at the most? Half the game is just fighting Footsoldier, Soldier, and Knight in different color-schemes in overworld areas you can just run through and ignore, or in copy-pasted underground caves. Also like it has a tiny handful of unique bosses that aren't just "enemy but with healthbar" or "guy you fought and are fighting again I guess" like tree spirit or magma worm. DKS2 has a lot more unique encounters??

That's gotta be a troll, isn't it? There's absolute fucktons of different enemies in Elden Ring, right? Footsoldier, Soldier, Knight in different color schemes, ok, but there's also Perfumers, Nobles, Commoners, Pages, Gladiators, Kaidan Mercenaries, Fire Monks, Exiles, Wizards, Banished Knights, and Cleanrot Knights just to name a few more of the human enemies, and most of them can carry different weapons or magic to give them entirely different movesets. And that's not even touching the enormous amount of beasts and monsters and undead, and all the other races of creatures like the Demi-Humans or Nightkin or Ancestral Followers.

I also didn't think the copy-paste bosses weren't that bad. Sure, you fight a lot of Erdtree Avatars and Tree Spirits, but they're very organic to where they're found, and add to the worldbuilding -- the Erdtree Avatars show you how the Greater Will protects the minor erdtrees, and the Tree Spirits have been damaged by the deathroot deep beneath the earth. I dunno what the official count is, but I'm pretty sure there are a ton of unique bosses if you only count the Avatars and Tree Spirits once, and I never really expected a game this size not to have some repeat encounters.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Video Nasty posted:

The bewitching branch! I used it against the summons from Niall

When I tried that strat, niall and the other spirit just immediately murdered my charmed one in two seconds flat. I was bummed by it

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Phenotype posted:

That's gotta be a troll, isn't it? There's absolute fucktons of different enemies in Elden Ring, right?

yeah, ER has an incomprehensibly huge enemy list. even if you took out every "normal" enemy and only left bosses, elden ring would have more enemies than the vast majority of games

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

CYBEReris posted:

i still miss with how ds1 parry timings worked you could get absurdly consistent and be virtually untouchable by humanoids with weapons

God. Same. SO MUCH Same.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The thing about souls games is that they're all good games. They blow 99% of the rest of video games completely out of the water. Even if you cry about dead zones in dark souls 2 or too many references in dark souls 3 or too many dragon butts in dark souls 1... you still know that poo poo is amaze balls.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
And then there's the enemy that's like a baby assassin. The regular human sized ones in hoods that have a crossbow and love backstabbing.

There's two in Gelmir grave and 2 in the caravan in Consecrated Snowfield.

I hate them so much.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm just playing about in a build calculator and it's pretty funny the Zwei is now a dex weapon outside of excessively high level quality builds

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SHISHKABOB posted:

The thing about souls games is that they're all good games. They blow 99% of the rest of video games completely out of the water. Even if you cry about dead zones in dark souls 2 or too many references in dark souls 3 or too many dragon butts in dark souls 1... you still know that poo poo is amaze balls.

Also this. Like as weak as DS3 is in the FROM pantheon it's still in the top 20 for all video games ever.

Hell, Dark Souls 2 may even be in the top 100 if you squint and forget the dragon and the first sin.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

No Dignity posted:

I'm just playing about in a build calculator and it's pretty funny the Zwei is now a dex weapon outside of excessively high level quality builds

which build calc?

I haven't found a decent one since the MugenMonkey guy said he won't do ER.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SHISHKABOB posted:

accurate but please don't say "amaze balls"

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

late but

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They all have varying strengths and weaknesses, I can't even keep a ranking consistent for more than about 5 minutes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HaB posted:

which build calc?

I haven't found a decent one since the MugenMonkey guy said he won't do ER.

I just googled 'Elden Ring build calculator' and this came up https://eip.gg/elden-ring/build-planner/

Seems to do the job reasonably well?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HaB posted:

A big red invader-style rear end in a top hat which appears near certain graces at night.

The first is @ Warmaster's Shack. Go there at night. Bernahl will be missing (assuming he hasn't already moved to Volcano Manor) and the Bell Bearing Hunter will appear.

oh wait I did get those guys

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

nudejedi posted:

Bell Bearing Ball Breaker in Caelid, like many things in lovely Caelid, doth not fucketh around :black101:

Zullie has a video with cut content for Rennala's boss fight summons and one of the possibilities on the list (loaded into the list for the map like her dragon and the bloodhound knight) was a Bell Bearing Hunter and another was a Crucible Knight and I am so glad they didn't go with that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CYBEReris posted:

DeS and DS1 have a much lower skill ceiling in PVE than the other games, and imo this is good. You can get to a point in these games where you just never take damage in the vast majority of encounters. It takes time, but eventually there is a point where you just kind of…master it. They’ll still throw you the occasional curveball, but it isn’t that hard, even now, for me to go back to these games and parry/roll over everything I meet.

Sekiro is also kind of like this, oddly enough, but it’s the outlier in their more recent games. DS2, Bloodborne, DS3, and Elden Ring are games where the designers clearly didn’t want an outcome like this to happen. You still can develop the abilities to no-hit the entire game, but it’s much, much more difficult.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Zullie has a video with cut content for Rennala's boss fight summons and one of the possibilities on the list (loaded into the list for the map like her dragon and the bloodhound knight) was a Bell Bearing Hunter and another was a Crucible Knight and I am so glad they didn't go with that.

One of the important details from that vid is that the list isnt specific to her fight, they could've been used anywhere in the academy

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm convinced that people that struggle with Elden Ring are just doing intentionally self punishing things like not using ashes/summons or intentionally ramming their head into encounters with the same weapons/strategy all the time.

It's a challenging game but they give you so many tools to deal with things. Especially later on in the game as you get so many levels, flasks, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Every Souls game has a bunch of re-used enemies, if not literally just the same guy then at least extremely similar movesets, animations, etc.

Elden Ring if anything has more variety than most in the sense that it's much more comfortable designing enemies that work on completely different paradigms, and especially in terms of using those enemies as regular fodder instead of exclusively as bosses.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

accurate but please don't say "amaze balls"

:froggonk:

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
I have plenty of critiques of ER but the repeated bosses I actually like and wish Fromsoft would continue with. One of the best parts of these games is the boss fights, but you usually only get to do them a few times per playthrough. Repeating them at higher levels lets you recall your tactics while also offering surprises and changes as the enemies slightly evolve. I thought it was a fun way of allowing you to refight bosses.

The problem is that ER boss encounters themselves are just not well-designed, particularly the ones you fight a lot like tree spirits.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh gently caress that would have blown so hard

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It probably would have been fine, her summons only stick around for like 5-10 seconds or something anyway. I mostly ignored her summons and just wailed on her

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Every Souls game has a bunch of re-used enemies, if not literally just the same guy then at least extremely similar movesets, animations, etc.

Elden Ring if anything has more variety than most in the sense that it's much more comfortable designing enemies that work on completely different paradigms, and especially in terms of using those enemies as regular fodder instead of exclusively as bosses.

The Discourse is basically if Elden Ring or Breath of the Wild is the GOAT, and lol if anyone complains about a lack of enemy variety in Elden Ring.

Like there's at least 100 enemy types, and you can sub-divide them into poo poo like Knight < axe knight < fire axe knight or Wizard < long-range wizard < long-range beam attack wizard to bump that number up to like 500.

Hell there's enemy types that are just easter eggs. The Bloodborne sewer men show up in the Haligtree in one rot pond you have to run through. You probably didn't even fight them because the loving centipede dickheads were blasting you with pest threads.

There's a gravity zombie elf in Raya Lucaria that really doesn't want you to steal his stone. Who is he? Why was he there? Don't know. Don't care. Gotta run to the next area where a Carian knight is waiting. The only Carian knight. A mini-mini-boss with entirely unique weapons and moves you only see once.

Like yeah the imps are repetitive, and man they love those watchdogs and crystallians, but poo poo the enemy variety in Elden Ring is absolutely insane.

It's 3 months old and just yesterday people learned the flying fart cloud skeletons exist.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Quick question: I have two remaining achievements for endings (Frenzied flame and Elden Lord), would it be possible/make sense to back up my save before doing a regular ending for Elden Lord (i.e. through Brother Corhyn's questline), then restore the save, run down into the sewers, get frenzy-fingered and then do the ending again for both achievements without having to start NG++, or would progressing to the very end lock me out of either ending?

I do recall the shunning grounds/sewers still being there till the very end on my last playthrough, so I'm hoping that's an option.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Imagine more variety of prawn

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It probably would have been fine, her summons only stick around for like 5-10 seconds or something anyway. I mostly ignored her summons and just wailed on her

Yeah on my first run I was STR/FAI and so over-leveled from clearing Weeping Peninsula and most of Limgrave that I didn't know Renalla had summons. She has zero poise and my +6 blessed mace just kept her on her rear end. She got off the opening death star laser and one moon and nothing else.

A NG+ swole Renalla would be great because she is just such an utter pushover unless you're one of those intelligence dweebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rot Prawn
Blackflame Prawn
Suddenly turns into Two Prawns
Reeeeeeaaally big Prawn