Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I'd be willing to bet that after he loses to Wardlow, we get several months of him being somewhat psychotic and unhinged which leads to him ending up in the number 1 contender's spot through whatever means, and then goes on to win it. I can definitely see him being the champion as early as the end of this year or at the start of next year (either Winter is Coming or Revolution).

Actually, if MJF isn't the champion at some point in 2023 I'll take a ban. :toxx:

(Yeah, I know that's 19 months to remember but oh well.)

Hoss Corncave fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MJF dethroning Punk early next year once the Wardlow problem is resolved would be $$$

He arguably only lost this time because of Wardlow so there’s a perfectly valid reason for a do-over right there.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

It isn't out of the question that he felt he was next in line for the title and now it seems like that's Punk.

Punk is not gonna beat hangman, but mjf might do so later in the year

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJF beats Hangman and then eventually defends against Punk, who already has a victory over him.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
WARDLOW brings the ring out to Punk and Punk uses it to defeat Hangman

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The whole "The Refs need to be invisible!" is some 2000s Vince brainworms poo poo. So of course these idiots take it as gospel.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the best refs were all completely unnoticeable and unmemorable, like Charles Robinson, or Earl Hebner

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Nick Patrick was actually the invisible man at Joey Janella Spring Break Cluster gently caress

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MJF only got to beat CM Punk twice in Chicago, he wanted at least four

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I've heard MJF is sad because he doesn't get to call him mom mean names enough on TBS

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ganso Bomb posted:

MJF beats Hangman and then eventually defends against Punk, who already has a victory over him.

I think this is the most likely option

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

People have been complaining about Bryce getting himself over as a "personality" for like fifteen years now

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Dave posted:

People have been complaining about Bryce getting himself over as a "personality" for like fifteen years now

Unfuckable nerds have been bitching about earl Hebner showing too much personality since 1997

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I used to be able to name every WWE ref back when I watch. Jfc there was even a ref match during the Invasion.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

if you know the name of a like baseball umpire it's because he sucks at his job but pro wrestling officiating is used for storytelling reasons more often than not so it's dumb as hell to reduce the refs to blank slates in striped shirts.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Chioda, Hebner, Other Hebner. WCW had Smol Naitch and that little guy who put a fan in a shoot guillotine that one time

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wcw refs were underrated. they had a handful of the best little guys. mark curtis. randy anderson. small ric flair. mickey jay

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

AEW refs are great and can even add stuff to matches. Like Bryce generally (maybe always?) refs Eddie Kingston's matches, and he had the amazing bit where he was begging Eddie to tap out in his world title match with Moxley rather than, presumably, die in the ring. It makes sense and is a fun addition to the match that shows AEW truly understands all of the moving pieces that make up good storytelling.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Seams posted:

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/1526219972489486336

I wonder if it’s just a money thing. MJF has been almost constantly featured in AEW with high-profile feud after high-profile feud. Cody/Mox/Jericho/Punk and now Wardlow. Hard to believe he’s unhappy with the booking,

Don't post rovert and don't believe rovert

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's the whole "this traditionally has never been done so clearly it's wrong and bad."

Like even if it is uncommon for people to be cheering a ref... well, Aubrey's over. We like her. At what point does this result in AEW losing money and/or viewers?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rotinaj posted:

Unfuckable nerds have been bitching about earl Hebner showing too much personality since 1997

Yeah but Hebner really started to suck poo poo later on and did actually feel like he was in the way

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
God drat it, they have a roster full of people I like. This is the last straw, AEW.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Besides Lil' Naitch and Jessicka Carr, I only know Jersey Shore ref, Scared Baby ref, and Asian ref

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I won't stand for this Danny Davis erasure :bahgawd:

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's the whole "this traditionally has never been done so clearly it's wrong and bad."

It's mostly "WWE doesn't do that therefore it's objectively wrong and bad"

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shard posted:

I remember him telling some absoltuley monster lies when he posted here lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Watching old NWA stuff from 1989 and I genuinely lost track of how many times JR kept pointing out how Tommy Young was a multi-time recipient of the NWA Referee of the Year award

Also,

Shard posted:

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

surprised someone hasn't replied to the aewbotches guy with the weird tim white suicide skits that they ran on wwe.com like a month after eddie guerrero died

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The refs are performers as well, why shouldn't they try to get themselves over?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

The refs are performers as well, why shouldn't they try to get themselves over?

is this all a thing from cornette or some other ancient faded useless wrestling dorkus malorkus who thinks the refs should be seen but not heard or noticed?

I bet that’s where this started

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/WrestlingIsKing/status/1526156432143425537

These types are really good at clever nicknames. Obamailures level stuff.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I would much rather have referees who have character and personality than just a boring blank slate in the ring personally. It's fun when referees have their own traits and quirks and can really add to a show.

Fsmhunk posted:

I remember him telling some absoltuley monster lies when he posted here lol

Surprise! He's still telling absolutely monster lies on twitter, where he has to post because he's been chased off of every other forum on the internet!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Folks be serious. If the referee is part of the match, and not invisible that means they can influence it, either directly by screwing with someone, or being offered bribes etc, or indirectly, by them being distracted in some way, and this behaviour would be unacceptable in pro wrestling.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Anger at a real-life referee gave us the Dear Ed 'Guns' Hochuli thread and he didn't even have the benefit of scripting to provoke it.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MJF trying to bribe off Bryce to avoid a countout loss the other week would have been much better if he had just been some faceless dude you don't know and not a person with a personality and past.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Surprise! He's still telling absolutely monster lies on twitter, where he has to post because he's been chased off of every other forum on the internet!

And he is extremely not mad about it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Serperoth posted:

Folks be serious. If the referee is part of the match, and not invisible that means they can influence it, either directly by screwing with someone, or being offered bribes etc, or indirectly, by them being distracted in some way, and this behaviour would be unacceptable in pro wrestling.

:hai: I expect only the fairest interpretation of the rules from Rick 'On The Take' Knox

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
When I ran an efed, we had three referee characters each with their own personality. One was a plain jane bog standard normal dude, the other was a retired luchadore who still wore his mask, and the third was a bloodthirsty Japanese death match legend who would always show bias towards the wrestler causing the most pain. Ref characters rule.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

:hai: I expect only the fairest interpretation of the rules from Rick 'On The Take' Knox

You cannot hope to bribe or fox
The Young Bucks' referee Rick Knox
But seeing what the man will do
unbribed, there's no occasion to.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When I ran an efed, we had three referee characters each with their own personality. One was a plain jane bog standard normal dude, the other was a retired luchadore who still wore his mask, and the third was a bloodthirsty Japanese death match legend who would always show bias towards the wrestler causing the most pain. Ref characters rule.

I just in general don't see why you would choose to absolutely exclude something that you can easily use to tell stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

There's a point in the Flair/Steamboat 2/3 falls match where I think Flair covers Steamboat near the ropes, Tommy Young goes out of the ring to make the count on the apron, and JR specifically says 'good officiating by Tommy Young there, if you can't get a good vantage point in the ring, it makes sense to get out to make the count', and that's stuck with me since I rewatched it a few weeks ago

hell, one of the best WWE matches of all time featured Ken Shamrock as a clearly visible and present referee, and you can't say he wasn't a major reason why that match worked so well

e: actually, you know exactly how ahistorical the 'referees should be invisible' take is? This match between Lou Thesz and Buddy Rogers from the 1950s wouldn't be half as good as it is without Jack Dempsey's officiating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIHV0m29FU

Venomous fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 16, 2022