Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is this the right thread to ask for advice on buying desks or is there a dedicated thread for that somewhere?

If so, I'm looking to get a larger desk to fit a planned purchase of a second monitor. Ideally I'd want it big enough to fit both monitors (my old one though doesnt have VESA unfortunately) and the tower, what size then should I big considering?

I've just been doing the standard look through IKEA's catalogue but every larger table they have is out of stock anyway. I've heard some people building their own with countertops and IKEA legs, is that a viable option? I don't care about sit-stand or anything else, I just want a fairly cheap run of the mill gaming desk.

you should do sit/stand, it’s good for your body

here ITT we’re partial to the Husky workbench in 48-72” for a dirt cheap no-brainer option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is this the right thread to ask for advice on buying desks or is there a dedicated thread for that somewhere?

If so, I'm looking to get a larger desk to fit a planned purchase of a second monitor. Ideally I'd want it big enough to fit both monitors (my old one though doesnt have VESA unfortunately) and the tower, what size then should I big considering?

I've just been doing the standard look through IKEA's catalogue but every larger table they have is out of stock anyway. I've heard some people building their own with countertops and IKEA legs, is that a viable option? I don't care about sit-stand or anything else, I just want a fairly cheap run of the mill gaming desk.

Karlby with some Alex drawers is the go to diy option. The problem is finding karlby in stock right now is a crap shoot.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Ok Comboomer posted:

here ITT we’re partial to the Husky workbench in 48-72” for a dirt cheap no-brainer option

This looks amazing, but how do you add any kind of storage to that thing? The tool drawers are too shallow and the bar means you can't just tuck a file cabinet under the drawer less version

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

This looks amazing, but how do you add any kind of storage to that thing? The tool drawers are too shallow and the bar means you can't just tuck a file cabinet under the drawer less version

IIRC the bar can be put across the back if you don't want it across the center.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I wanted to install a hanging computer holder to my electric desk at work, but it needed more space. So I unscrewed the table from the frame, moved it 10-15cm towards me and screwed it back. I bet I have the most heavily modified electric desk at work.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oysters Autobio posted:

I got the Ikea Trotten which is a newish model. It has a 10 year warranty and the 63" version (just barely) fits my 3x 27" monitors.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I also looked into the Husky workbench. My main concern was that it's shallower than I'd like at 24". It's also a bit more expensive than the Trotten and overkill for my needs, but it's going to be your sturdiest option at the lowest price.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Thanks for all the recommendations!

Anyone try Ikea's UTESPELARE gaming desk?

Has built-in cable management which seems nice, though price point is similar to the TROTTEN without sit stand.

Price here in Canada is around the same for just the walnut 73in KARLBY countertop (though the KARLBY in oak veneer is like 25% cheaper).

Is it possible to do a sit stand frame and the KARLBY countertop?

Also, has anyone tried using the HUSKY workbench that's also manually height adjustable? Seems like if it works would be a really good cheaper option for sit stand though a bit shorter than the TROTTEN at the same price point.

edit: sorry, the 46in version of the HUSKY adjustable is similar price point. The 72in version is quite a bit more than the TROTTEN

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 16, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got some Bekant legs from Ikea and attached them to a solid oak table top. My legs are not the sit/stand electric ones but I'm sure they would work well.

The table top was a bit too big so I cut it down and also put a chamfer on the edges. It's also real fuckin heavy which made getting it off the head-height shelf at the store challenging. The only finish I've put on it is beeswax.

It replaces a cheap ikea desk with a fibreboard top and non adjustable legs and is much nicer. Personally I'd get a nicer top than the Ikea ones.

The Bekant legs come with a netting cable tidy thing which I attached using self adhesive velcro ties, but they weren't strong enough so I'm getting something more sturdy.

10cm off the short edge and 5cm off the long edge. Edges routed and chamfered.

Trial fit of the frame to the top. Just screws and washers into pilot holes in the wood.

I got a monitor arm as well. Very happy with my new setup.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oysters Autobio posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Anyone try Ikea's UTESPELARE gaming desk?

Has built-in cable management which seems nice, though price point is similar to the TROTTEN without sit stand.
I don't know if anyone in this thread has it, but I did take a close look at Ikea and I've read a bunch of reviews on Reddit. Basically the consensus is that it's not a bad option if you want built-in cable management, but the gap between the wood front of the desk and the metal mesh in the back that facilitates the cable management could present issues depending on how you lay out your desk. The mesh back can also be an issue if you intend to use monitor arms.

I decided to go with the Trotten because I wanted my desk top to be a continuous surface since I wasn't sure at the time whether I would have 2 or 3 monitors or whether I would use arms. I also have a small shelf that holds my second keyboard.

The Utespelare has adjustable height but I was fine with the height on the Trotten so I figured fewer moving parts would be better, which might be why it has a 3 year warranty compared to the Trotten's 10.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just moved to a new place that I actually own and will hopefully live in forever so wanted to do the best job of cable management possible since I won't be disassembling it much if ever anymore. Specifically because I have a work laptop on my desk that is attached to a monitor and a USB hub, and a sim racing rig beside it with a whole set of other inputs/cables, I end up with a ton of cables that are a huge pain in the rear end. I'll never have a desk without visible cables of some kind but I think I've gotten it nearly as good as possible without ordering extra long versions of cables IE the one that provides power to my router. I'm mostly happy that my cables are off the floor. Here's some products I found which I think are amazing, on Canadian amazon but I suspect the same things are on whatever your country's amazon is. I'll take a photo of my desk once I'm not uhhh in a meeting...

Big fuckoff power strip for under the desk
This has enough 'grip' on the sockets to easily hold heavy wall wart type plugs upside down and was easy to install. It's close to the back of my desk underneath. The spacing between sockets is massive so there's no blocking of sockets from neighbouring ones
------------------

Weird plastic pouch things you attach to the rear of the desk and shove cables into
I was super skeptical about these but hey they work pretty well and keeping stuff out of the way/unseen. Basically you could screw these into the rear of the desk but I ended up just using the provided 2 way tape after testing it. It's rock solid, used a couple of these and basically just route the cables into them and then up to wherever. Something I can see will be a headache though is that you essentially have to pull all the cables out of it to get to one if it's near the 'bottom'.
------------------

Cable sleeves
These things work so well up to around 5-6 thick cords. Kinda a pain to install but really make a huge difference. These ones I must say do have something on the inside of them that I can feel on my fingers after installing them but it's super slight and I don't feel that any of it would come off onto my cables or something. I bought a huge run of this, like 15 feet or something and I just cut off the pieces at the size I need. I'd buy this again if I needed more, the stuff on the inside is really barely there and nearly a nonissue.
------------------

Cable channeling for the walls
I have my router/server/etc up on a shelf above my desk and this channeling stuff helps keep all those cables clean. I also use it horizontally along the wall where my ethernet passthrough/source lives (my ISP provides signal right from ethernet to my router). I ended up just using a couple pieces of two way tape on each piece to secure them to the wall as that way I have a small hope of being able to remove them at some point with no wall damage (the other option is to use screws).

e: some photos of the setup:

You can still see the bundles of cables and a nerd's foot/sock from this angle:

If you have a solid wood desk you can do stuff like this:

The right monitor is on it's own stand so that it can be swung to the sim rig if I'm not doing VR racing.

Of course now looking at these photos I see that I can clean up the cabling on the right of the desk a little. I suppose you're never really done with this stuff.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 16, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I got my DSLR out of storage, and couldn't be bothered to wait for better light. Also couldn't find my tripod, so that's handheld at ISO1250 with VR on.

Viewsonic 38" on the bottom, Acer 34" on top, with flanking Dell U2713HM monitors. NAD D7050 amplifier is barely visible behind the 38" on the left there.
I should probably find a better way to deal with my work laptop hookup to the 38" + 34", but for now it's too easy to just hook it up to USB-C + HDMI + separate mouse and let it sit directly beneath the 38".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When I purchased my Ikea Trotten, it was available with a natural or white top. I thought white might be a bit harsh and most of the promotional photos were natural top/black frame, so that's what I got:

In reality, "natural" was actually an ugly beige grey. White wasn't in stock to exchange, and I've kinda gotten used to the beige as nondescript (apologies for the cabling, still working on it):

That said, I still think the white would be nicer, and it's now back in stock. Any thoughts on whether I should make the switch? I plan on keeping the desk for at least 5 years:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

When I purchased my Ikea Trotten, it was available with a natural or white top. I thought white might be a bit harsh and most of the promotional photos were natural top/black frame, so that's what I got:

In reality, "natural" was actually an ugly beige grey. White wasn't in stock to exchange, and I've kinda gotten used to the beige as nondescript (apologies for the cabling, still working on it):

That said, I still think the white would be nicer, and it's now back in stock. Any thoughts on whether I should make the switch? I plan on keeping the desk for at least 5 years:

get what makes you happy

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Seeing as you don't particularly sound enamored even with the white version, maybe look at those stick-on desk vinyl stickers? Seems like that's already a veneer desk so it's not like you're committing some sin.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
You could just paint it too.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lots of fancy mic setups in thread. If you use speakers + dedicated desk mic for conference calls, does the mic pick up other people's voice from the speakers and cause an echo?

I've been using a Jabra wired headset forever and it's fine but the wire is distracting, AirPods Pro work ok to add variety to life, though it is annoying they don't have sidetone like the Jabra does.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

e: some photos of the setup:

Sup Meshify C buddy.

Inner Light posted:

Lots of fancy mic setups in thread. If you use speakers + dedicated desk mic for conference calls, does the mic pick up other people's voice from the speakers and cause an echo?

I've been using a Jabra wired headset forever and it's fine but the wire is distracting, AirPods Pro work ok to add variety to life, though it is annoying they don't have sidetone like the Jabra does.

I believe most PCs or software accounts for that if you use a dedicated speaker and dedicated input device. I get tired of using my Plantronics headset for listening so I'll switch over to my speakers but continue using the headset's mic and it's always been flawless.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Inner Light posted:

both the speakers and the mic are hooked up to the same incredibly powerful computer running anti-talkback algorithms more complex than the software that sent men to the moon

when faced with the same problem, the soviets used headphones

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Sup Meshify C buddy.

It's actually a Meshify 2 XL (full size tower) but we're still very close buddies!

I needed the extra room for the water cooling requisite for my anti-talkback algos so I can use a mic and my speakers like that obviously.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 16, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Ugh gently caress. I finally got over my "don't buy more WFH poo poo" phase, and you're throwing me right back into it. :ohdear:

I totally get the different light themes for work/home thing though. I've been humming and hawing about RGB smartlamps for that exact reason.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

Get more desk.

Is that the Kiyo Pro webcam? How do you like it? I've heard it can struggle with hunting for autofocus.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What is that red and black artifact above your mouse?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Ugh gently caress. I finally got over my "don't buy more WFH poo poo" phase, and you're throwing me right back into it. :ohdear:

I totally get the different light themes for work/home thing though. I've been humming and hawing about RGB smartlamps for that exact reason.

We bought a bunch of the Wiz bulbs for all our light fixtures and we really like them. They get middling reviews online, mostly stuff with connectivity, but we've had no issues with them at all. They aren't as feature rich as Hue I don't think, but they've been fine for going "Hey Google turn the living room lights blue" or whatever and don't require a hub.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

What is that red and black artifact above your mouse?

Cable bungee for the mouse. Razer makes them too, probably everyone does at this point.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Confession - I rarely use the lights and even more rarely change the colors. It's neat to have the option though and is a great conversation starter when people are around.

Josh Lyman posted:

Is that the Kiyo Pro webcam? How do you like it? I've heard it can struggle with hunting for autofocus.

Amusingly enough, the one in the picture is the non-Pro Kiyo but I've since upgraded to the Pro (which does not have the integrated light ring). The non-Pro really struggled with focus (among other things) but the Pro is solid. I have no issues recommending the Pro.

VelociBacon posted:

Cable bungee for the mouse. Razer makes them too, probably everyone does at this point.

Yep, it's a no-name one off Amazon that totally does the trick. I wouldn't spend what any of the name brands want for something that boils down to some springs connected to a heavy thing.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

RichterIX posted:

We bought a bunch of the Wiz bulbs for all our light fixtures and we really like them. They get middling reviews online, mostly stuff with connectivity, but we've had no issues with them at all. They aren't as feature rich as Hue I don't think, but they've been fine for going "Hey Google turn the living room lights blue" or whatever and don't require a hub.

Smart homes are another moneypit that I've been talking myself out of. I'd actually be totally fine with a hub if there was some consistent standard on what protocols newer smart devices were using (maybe it's better now). I've got bad wifi in my bedroom already, I don't need more traffic cluttering up the 2.4/5Ghz channels.

Aww man, coming back to this thread was a bad idea :shepspends:

WTFBEES posted:

Confession - I rarely use the lights and even more rarely change the colors. It's neat to have the option though and is a great conversation starter when people are around.

Truth be told, I just caught up on this thread and got you confused for Taima, so my next question was why are so many people around you and your wife's master bedroom.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

both the speakers and the mic are hooked up to the same incredibly powerful computer running anti-talkback algorithms more complex than the software that sent men to the moon

when faced with the same problem, the soviets used headphones

this

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

Amusingly enough, the one in the picture is the non-Pro Kiyo but I've since upgraded to the Pro (which does not have the integrated light ring). The non-Pro really struggled with focus (among other things) but the Pro is solid. I have no issues recommending the Pro.
I have an Microsoft Lifecam Cinema from 2010 that's only 720p 30fps. It gets the job done BUT it focus hunts fairly regularly. I picked up a Logitech C920 today and while the autofocus is good, it's basically unusable in low light, which is most of my Zoom usage.

From what I've read, the Kiyo Pro is supposed to have good low light performance for a webcam but suffered from focus hunting on release. There was a firmware update late last year that was supposed to help but reports are inconsistent, which is why I asked.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I have the Kiyo with the light ring like the one in the photo, which I guess is the non-Pro? Anyway, yeah it does occasionally lose autofocus for a moment or two. It doesn't happen too often, like I'd say once an hour, if that, and I'm fairly fidgety. It's noticeable but I wouldn't say it's been a problem to me. At the same time, I wouldn't doubt other models like 920 whatever do it better. The light ring is..fine. It's not going to replace a proper one if that's what you need, but it's better than nothing. For the price I paid and have seen it going for, ~$65, I'd easily recommend it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Smart homes are another moneypit that I've been talking myself out of. I'd actually be totally fine with a hub if there was some consistent standard on what protocols newer smart devices were using (maybe it's better now). I've got bad wifi in my bedroom already, I don't need more traffic cluttering up the 2.4/5Ghz channels.

Motion sensor light switches:
Work without internet
Will not be a security risk
Do not require datascrapers an app
Are $10-$20 and will out last any lightbulb

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

My Wife and I bought a house and I was hell bent on making it the smartest loving house in Kansas. I had so many grandious ideas on what I wanted to do, but after seeing how loving difficult it is to manage 2 smart light switches and 1 smart light bulb I said "gently caress that poo poo." I can't tell you how often I come out for a simple "Ok Google, turn on light" and I get "Sorry that switch is not responding" so I have to go over, restart the switch, etc etc, so I just said forget it!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the language parser is such hot garbage too. "Alexa turn on first and second lights" doesn't work, "Alexa turn on light one" doesn't work, "Alexa turn on the lights" doesn't work. whoever said it was like trying to recreate command line interfaces but much worse while pretending to be the computer from Star Trek.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

My Wife and I bought a house and I was hell bent on making it the smartest loving house in Kansas. I had so many grandious ideas on what I wanted to do, but after seeing how loving difficult it is to manage 2 smart light switches and 1 smart light bulb I said "gently caress that poo poo." I can't tell you how often I come out for a simple "Ok Google, turn on light" and I get "Sorry that switch is not responding" so I have to go over, restart the switch, etc etc, so I just said forget it!

I have never "restarted" my eve smart switch. I dont even know If I can.

I'm having a lot of success with a hue + apple tv. I even have one smart switch that has a smart bulb on the end and both work exactly how you would hope they work at all times. Still renting so I didn't want to change out all the switches but I'm moving this summer to a house and I wanted to test out a light switch.

I'm shocked my wife puts up with most light switches not working but we have apple watches so siri is always right there.

Being able to turn the whole house off and on or dimming the lights for tv/gamming is super fun.

I mostly use modes, like "day mode" for blue lights and "night mode" for warm lights.

Bedtime mode makes all lights 1% and turns a fan on in the 2 bedrooms :3:

I want to smart all the things! But god does it suck if you lose internet at your house lol. Smart switches will fix that though so im pumped to just go ham on smart poo poo.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 21, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ddiddles posted:

Renting a new house and it has a huge family room that I'm obviously gonna use as an office cause i'm a loser and single.

I'm a bit late to this but that is a beautiful room and if you're going to add some acoustic treatment to tighten it up I would do it sparingly because that wall is gorgeous and might not necessarily be terrible for the 'room tone'. Look into the Auralex acoustic foam panels, they're incredible for the price (and you get to look like a huge strongman carrying the box home because it weighs nothing), and they don't look too intrusive. If you want to really get into it also get some panels for the ceiling. But keep in mind that almost any kind of stuff is also decent acoustic treatment - I'm talking couches, upholstered chairs, a nice rug, it all provides decent absorption plus you can sit on it and stuff. Experiment with placement and get the acoustic panels up on the drywall, but if I were you I'd definitely leave that wood wall mostly alone because whatever 'room tone' it's adding might actually be pleasant - besides you don't want to go crazy on the deadening treatment, it'll drive you insane being able to hear the standing waves in the room.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
imagine allowing Yet Another Corporate Wiretap in your house

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hopefully my company pushes through this year with replacing the lovely work-issued laptop I've had now for the past 5 years.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm a bit late to this but that is a beautiful room and if you're going to add some acoustic treatment to tighten it up I would do it sparingly because that wall is gorgeous and might not necessarily be terrible for the 'room tone'. Look into the Auralex acoustic foam panels, they're incredible for the price (and you get to look like a huge strongman carrying the box home because it weighs nothing), and they don't look too intrusive. If you want to really get into it also get some panels for the ceiling. But keep in mind that almost any kind of stuff is also decent acoustic treatment - I'm talking couches, upholstered chairs, a nice rug, it all provides decent absorption plus you can sit on it and stuff. Experiment with placement and get the acoustic panels up on the drywall, but if I were you I'd definitely leave that wood wall mostly alone because whatever 'room tone' it's adding might actually be pleasant - besides you don't want to go crazy on the deadening treatment, it'll drive you insane being able to hear the standing waves in the room.

I actually ended up moving my office to one of the bedrooms, that room is now where I look at my unused dumbells and VR.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

anakha posted:

Hopefully my company pushes through this year with replacing the lovely work-issued laptop I've had now for the past 5 years.

Beautiful. How do you handle swapping that dual monitor + peripherals setup back and forth between your work laptop and personal tower?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Beautiful. How do you handle swapping that dual monitor + peripherals setup back and forth between your work laptop and personal tower?

I was initially resigned to spending on an expensive KVM switch, but a friend alerted me to this awesome little utility that uses your peripherals' USB connection to trigger a switch in the monitors' active ports.

quote:

usb_device = "2516:013F"

[monitor1]
monitor_id = "hp"
on_usb_connect = "Hdmi1"
on_usb_disconnect = "DisplayPort1"

[monitor2]
monitor_id = "benq"
on_usb_connect = "Hdmi2"
on_usb_disconnect = "Vga1"

One $20 USB switch later, and I was in business.

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Aww man, coming back to this thread was a bad idea :shepspends:

This is your loving fault, thread.

Moved my WFH setup to the bedroom and got a tri-monitor stand. What problems did all this solve? None, really. My PC only has a single video output right now, and I wanted to use my work laptop with something that's not blocked from YouTube and other stuff. I picked up a KVM KM switch that flips the keyboard/mouse between the work laptop and home PC for maximum productivity.

Really surprised at how stable the stand is, despite balancing two monitors of different weights and positions. I almost bought a 4-monitor stand to hang the work laptop off the top, but I was concerned about the tipping weight, and that kind of stand wouldn't fit back in the office anyway (overhead cabinets). Not bad for just over a hundred canuck-bucks.