Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

when I drink coffee I'm intensely aware that it's not a thing likely to exist for the rest of my life except maybe as an extreme luxury item, unless I get killed a lot sooner than I am expecting to. Short of some kind of insane deep-deep freeze setup with a dedicated power supply there's no real way to keep decent coffee good for very long, so I've just accepted that it will probably go away at some point and also when it does I'll probably have much more worrisome things to be concerned with.'

If you need uppers, stockpile amphetamine; phenethylamines will last for generations.

When coffee runs out I plan to use my espresso machine to make cannabis extracts. ethanol at 9 bar and 96 C ought to get just about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Also, the idea that I mostly post somewhere else (in the glennthread) really pisses you off. I'm not sure why, but it does. Do you think we're all laughing about everything you post on a secret discord?

People don't have a problem with the concept of you posting elsewhere. We would prefer you go back to your weird 24/7 analysis of every aspect of Glenn Greenwald's life actually. It's that you come here with this "Just asking Questions" posting style then run back over there posting stuff like this

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I saw that and just don't really want to respond to it (it's very sad and I know my argument will just dump on someone who's already feeling terrible). but it is exactly what I was talking about, and also a very bad Disco Elysium way of dealing with the world. people don't realize that they're not 'not caring', they're just coping unhealthily with terrible stress in a way that infiltrates everything they do all the time

which gives a dickhead condescending safari vibe

If you actually are some non-internet poisoned extremely earnest human like a doddering elderly person that calls it "Electronic Mail" and got your first computer that led straight to the glenn greenwald thread somehow then endlessly flailing around in a shitpost zone screeching that people are being mean and aggressive to you comes off as attention seeking, dumb and/or trolling. There seems to be no actual reason for you to want to post here due to your complaints in multiple threads about posting here. Your posting here is almost entirely about how you don't like posting here.

You come off as a troll because of it because no normal person would be doing this which is why people are posting "aggressively" towards you as the only real explanation to us for why you would be doing this is it's an elaborate troll.

I don't go to your thread making dozens of posts about how glen greenwald is an extremely stupid nobody and a 24/7 megathread dedicated to him has obviously driven you all insane. I don't want to post there so I definitely wouldn't set up shop in that thread to post about my reaction to the posting there. It's weird and if I were doing it it would be to make all of you mad which is what people think you are doing now.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 13:07 on May 16, 2022

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Is it because it's too cold? Because I have good news on that front.

it used to be just the cold but now the heat domes take out my balcony plants at least once per summer, i've given up on growing anything except anger

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
ac in my building is on but isn't working in my unit. poo poo like this reminds me that without ac people here in loving canada die in their overheated concrete apartments sometimes and it's just gonna get worse as the grid gets less reliable and we get more heat domes. we had almost 600 deaths last year, i wonder how we'll do this year?

the thing that kills me about all this and the "don't give up hope" crowd is we don't even seem to be too bothered about building local resiliency as a country, nevermind actually trying to reverse course

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

you seem to be confusing 'individual responsibility' with 'resiliency'

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

you seem to be confusing 'individual responsibility' with 'resiliency'

my concern is my government ain't doing poo poo to harden infrastructure like the power grid

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

do you have your personal disaster plan ready? is your emergency kit well stocked and easy to access??

do your part

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cold on a Cob posted:

ac in my building is on but isn't working in my unit. poo poo like this reminds me that without ac people here in loving canada die in their overheated concrete apartments sometimes and it's just gonna get worse as the grid gets less reliable and we get more heat domes. we had almost 600 deaths last year, i wonder how we'll do this year?

the thing that kills me about all this and the "don't give up hope" crowd is we don't even seem to be too bothered about building local resiliency as a country, nevermind actually trying to reverse course

lol i dont have any windows that will fit a window unit or the exhaust tube on a stand-up one so i tape the tube to the balcony door and dummy over the remaining gap with several layers of cardboard

it works okay if you also take those tin foil lookin' emergency blankets and cover the windows / balcony door with those

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I say we dust off and nuke the glacier from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

last week several older people died in a public housing apartment in Chicago because the building operator “can’t” turn on the AC before June 1

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
wind storm last night knocked out power. over 500 people affected. line still not replaced 16 hours later lol

just some minor supply issues, I'm sure. currently thinking about the thousands of pounds of refrigerated food getting thrown out today, in my local neighborhood alone

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Again I have to highly recommend The Ends of the World. I'm at the end when he starts discussing the future in terms of past extinctions and he notes that sustained hotter temperatures are going to be catastrophic because even brief heatwaves have caused major death and unrest as well as major power grid failures

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

AWWNAW posted:

last week several older people died in a public housing apartment in Chicago because the building operator “can’t” turn on the AC before June 1

legally apartment buildings/condos in toronto aren't allowed to ever let building temp drop below 20C. also any building without a heat pump can't switch from heat to ac instantly. legally they're supposed to keep heat on until june 15 here

maybe chicago has a similar (outdated) law?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BrotherJayne posted:

Debunked where?

deboonked by politifacts and jank

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Babies are unprofitable, and also olds. When will you be designated unprofitable???? Fun 2 think about

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kyojin posted:

Babies are unprofitable, and also olds. When will you be designated unprofitable???? Fun 2 think about

Yeah but we prioritize services to the olds above anything else

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

lmao i had totally forgotten that until you mentioned it

IAMKOREA posted:

I'm sure it's nothing it's not like the top scientists on this stuff like Shakova are Russians or something

yeah it doesn’t seem like a very good sign at all

cooperate in the face of disaster?
no, more wars!

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo

kyojin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_17vRAsbOs

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah but we prioritize services to the olds above anything else

Idk seems like those that have made the mistake of being both old & poor are left to die of heatstroke no questions asked. Unless it was a mistake? In which case very careless imo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Minera posted:

wind storm last night knocked out power. over 500 people affected. line still not replaced 16 hours later lol

just some minor supply issues, I'm sure. currently thinking about the thousands of pounds of refrigerated food getting thrown out today, in my local neighborhood alone

At least they're biodegradable! :razz:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

This has made me angry at myself as well now. Goddamn I absolutely loving hate the civilisation I live in

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
Hello I am here to post before thinking.
Thank you, carry on.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

kyojin posted:

done and done

I am a western parasite

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I am in Vermont! I am at 1600'! There's not many people here and there's still birds and bugs to the extent that they are seriously loud and annoying and that's GREAT!!

Saw this little guy today which means I missed their "super tiny" early spring phase when they are like 1/2" long and loving ADORABLE, but, this dude was cute enough that I had to stop and take a picture, setting down what was in my hands at the time.

Here's what was in my hands at the time:

:rubby:

IAMKOREA posted:

When coffee runs out I plan to use my espresso machine to make cannabis extracts. ethanol at 9 bar and 96 C ought to get just about everything.

I already have an ethanol shatter factory set up, so I guess my espresso machine is a backup. Your plan sounds reasonable to me, but also in the early '00s I used to cook isopropyl hash down in my loving kitchen over an open flame with bad ventilation, so, "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly with that much pressure in the mix I would step back from the machine while it's happening, even if you are unlikely to fireball yourself with ethanol, generally.

Also, assuming I'll still be able to grow cannabis at that point and not either just have scraggly desert plants or need the space more to try to eke a few more soybeans out, is pretty optimistic. My current cannabis grow is like the most un-green thing I do in life (beyond supporting capital 40+ hrs a week ofc).

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am in Vermont! I am at 1600'! There's not many people here and there's still birds and bugs to the extent that they are seriously loud and annoying and that's GREAT!!

Saw this little guy today which means I missed their "super tiny" early spring phase when they are like 1/2" long and loving ADORABLE, but, this dude was cute enough that I had to stop and take a picture, setting down what was in my hands at the time.

Here's what was in my hands at the time:

:rubby:

I already have an ethanol shatter factory set up, so I guess my espresso machine is a backup. Your plan sounds reasonable to me, but also in the early '00s I used to cook isopropyl hash down in my loving kitchen over an open flame with bad ventilation, so, "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly with that much pressure in the mix I would step back from the machine while it's happening, even if you are unlikely to fireball yourself with ethanol, generally.

Also, assuming I'll still be able to grow cannabis at that point and not either just have scraggly desert plants or need the space more to try to eke a few more soybeans out, is pretty optimistic. My current cannabis grow is like the most un-green thing I do in life (beyond supporting capital 40+ hrs a week ofc).

Why don't you just grow outside?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

kyojin posted:

i'm in my early 40s and could end up disabled by rsi by the time i'm 50 at the rate i'm going, if not sooner

real fun to think about

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol I was out in the forest

:cry:

quote:

For almost 100 years, the Asarco Company operated a copper smelter in Tacoma. Air pollution from the smelter settled on the surface soil of more than 1,000 square miles of the Puget Sound basin. Arsenic, lead, and other heavy metals are still in the soil as a result of this pollution.

quote:

ASARCO has been found responsible for environmental pollution at 20 Superfund sites across the U.S. by the Environmental Protection Agency.

it’s so hosed they stole peoples land and sent them to internment camps to poison this here island

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 17:42 on May 16, 2022

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

mawarannahr posted:

lol I was out in the forest

:cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovggB_a9J0s

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1525989535359852560

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

nothing like a Pb and J sandwich

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jackson_Dill/status/1526263400673824771?t=N68XuoPSnbw7Wm31kyX3uA&s=19

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I'm thinking that I'm going to try and get into foraging a bit of food this year. My grandparents own ~150 acres of woodland here in rural Michigan, and there's a bit of stuff that you can find out there

ramps(aka wild leeks)

wild onions

morels

might as well eat a bit of what the forest offers

No berry patches on her property that I know of, though. Sadly. Just stuff that has moved in since they let it transition from farmland to woodland back 50-60 years ago

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I'm thinking that I'm going to try and get into foraging a bit of food this year. My grandparents own ~150 acres of woodland here in rural Michigan, and there's a bit of stuff that you can find out there

ramps(aka wild leeks)

wild onions

morels

No berry patches on her property that I know of, though. Sadly. Just stuff that has moved in since they let it transition from farmland to woodland back 50-60 years ago

Ramps make an insanely good pesto. Ramps, walnuts, olive oil, and parmesan or aged cheddar or your cheese of choice. Maybe nutritional yeast to make it vegan. Absolutely amazing I eat it once or twice a week when they're in season. Amazing on pasta, it's really strong and holds up to whole wheat pasta really well.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 20:10 on May 16, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ramps(aka wild leeks)

wild onions

morels

proceed with caution with the morels, iirc there’s a lot of species of false morels that look almost identical but are poisonous as poo poo

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

IAMKOREA posted:

Ramps make an insanely good pesto. Ramps, walnuts, olive oil, and parmesan or aged cheddar or your cheese of choice. Maybe nutritional yeast to make it vegan. Absolutely amazing I eat it once or twice a week when they're in season. Amazing on pasta, it's really strong and holds up to whole wheat pasta really well.

I'll have to try that out. I don't actually know where to find ramps on their property, but my ma does, so I'll have to bring her with me.

The whole thing is edible, right? Do you mostly use the leaves for pesto, or the whole thing? I've never actually cooked with them before, so I don't really know what to expect.

The onions(or wild garlic, I've heard them referred to both ways) are everywhere back at my grandparents place, walk 10 feet and you pass by 3-4 clumps of them, but tbqh no clue where to look for ramps

Fly Molo posted:

proceed with caution with the morels, iirc there’s a lot of species of false morels that look almost identical but are poisonous as poo poo

that's something that I've always wondered about. I've seen people talk about that a lot, but growing up looking for them we never were cautious about what was and wasn't a morel. I don't know if my family has just been insanely lucky all this time, or if there isn't any of the poisonous morel lookalikes in Michigan? I do know that one of my grandparents neighbors almost killed himself eating the wrong mushrooms, was on life support waiting for his kids to get there before they pulled the plug when he pulled through, but I don't know if he ate a morel lookalike or some other lookalike

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 20:39 on May 16, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

I don't think that's true. The only lookalike I know of isn't hollow, morels should be hollow. But still you are right in practice, absolutely proceed with mega caution when it comes to foraging mushrooms, but morels are one of the safest mushrooms you can forage.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

I'll have to try that out. I don't actually know where to find ramps on their property, but my ma does, so I'll have to bring her with me.

The whole thing is edible, right? Do you mostly use the leaves for pesto, or the whole thing? I've never actually cooked with them before, so I don't really know what to expect.

The onions(or wild garlic, I've heard them referred to both ways) are everywhere back at my grandparents place, walk 10 feet and you pass by 3-4 clumps of them, but tbqh no clue where to look for ramps

Just harvest the leaves. Leave the bulb underground and they will come up again next year. And don't harvest all of them, leave some to flower and drop seeds.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

IAMKOREA posted:

Just harvest the leaves. Leave the bulb underground and they will come up again next year. And don't harvest all of them, leave some to flower and drop seeds.

That's fair, no point in taking more than I'd need

And I just looked up the different morel lookalikes here in Michigan and yeah, they all look way different from a morel.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/things-to-do/morels/morel-identification

I could understand mistaking the gyromitra picture at the bottom for a morel if it was really dry when you went out looking, but the lack of a hollow stem would tip you off for sure. Would probably pass over it anyway with how small it was, and with how it didn't look right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IAMKOREA posted:

I don't think that's true. The only lookalike I know of isn't hollow, morels should be hollow. But still you are right in practice, absolutely proceed with mega caution when it comes to foraging mushrooms, but morels are one of the safest mushrooms you can forage.

ah i stand corrected, tyvm