Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Where did you pull this figure from? I've always found investor ownership of SFHs an opaque subject that is hard to get solid data on.

This is from a few months ago, but it says that institutional investors own just under 2% of single-family rental units and 0.4% of all single-family units (rental and owner-occupied) in the country.

https://www.realtrends.com/articles/institutional-ownership-small-but-impact-looms-large/

At the start of 2022, Invitation Homes was the company with the largest amount of single-family homes at 80,000. There were roughly 15 million single-family rentals and 68.3 million residential single-family homes total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I don't see a lot of positive outcomes between the Roe ruling and this.

This new Roe v Wade decision should be looked at what it is:

• the terrorists mocking the Dems and the voters and daring them to do anything to stop them, knowing nothing will happen.
  • the Dems being so ineffectual that they should be considered complicit.

I don’t have solutions that I feel will actually happen because it relies on Dems and their supporters to abandon the religion of decorum.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 16, 2022

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Republicans posted:

They still think Replacement Theory is a big winner for them so they're currently defending the shooting on Twitter with "What about Waukesha when a BLM leader screamed "DIE WHITEY DIE" while driving a semi-truck through a parade and killed a thousand children!?"

They are 100% correct.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

LI know we are all pissing in the wind here, but it is time the Dems either pack the courts, reject/ignore the Supreme Court, or outright dismantle it.

We are on the track to a complete fascist takeover and without direct action from the party in power the future in inevitable. Any talk that pretends to give legitimacy to the courts, including lip services or even discussion of the legal arguments, is to support the terrorists taking over the country. If one thinks that is too far, they should ask themselves what would be effectively different if the court’s reasoning was “gently caress you because I said so”.

The cold hard reality is that the Democrats aren’t going to do anything.

Either there is a complete radical insurgence within the party (which people are trying and failing at) or a new third party is formed that does what needs to be done.

The thing is this requires pressured by the people and too many a Americans still believe in the neoliberal economic model, as they think just “giving the system a tune-up” will suffice.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

punk rebel ecks posted:

The cold hard reality is that the Democrats aren’t going to do anything.

Either there is a complete radical insurgence within the party (which people are trying and failing at) or a new third party is formed that does what needs to be done.

The thing is this requires pressured by the people and too many a Americans still believe in the neoliberal economic model, as they think just “giving the system a tune-up” will suffice.

A third party would've been a great idea years ago but I think there's little point now. We've been told for a while now that if voting rights aren't repaired by this year's midterms, the GOP will effectively have a permanent majority. I don't see how we get out of this situation short of direct action to force a new government charter.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Also there's still the prevailing myth of insurgency within the party and that no third party could ever possibly be visible.

Which may be true at this point.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bishyaler posted:

A third party would've been a great idea years ago but I think there's little point now. We've been told for a while now that if voting rights aren't repaired by this year's midterms, the GOP will effectively have a permanent majority. I don't see how we get out of this situation short of direct action to force a new government charter.

Direct action is going to be necessary no matter what. But even with direct action you need a political party to put into government.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

punk rebel ecks posted:

Direct action is going to be necessary no matter what. But even with direct action you need a political party to put into government.

Ah, I understand what you're getting at. I agree.

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 16, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It always comes back to Revolution (that somebody else should start), doesn't it? :allears:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

It always comes back to Revolution (that somebody else should start), doesn't it? :allears:

Not "somebody else". Us, inclusive. Doesn't always come back to that but its that or fascism. Which do you think is the lesser evil?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Some reporting on the rear end in a top hat from New York indicates he'd been held at a mental facility previously, for a day or two, after alleged threatening behaviorin school. I would assume that that was mandated, and as such it's gonna be super fun to find out he was still allowed to buy the firearms he did, without issue.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

Not "somebody else". Us, inclusive. Doesn't always come back to that but its that or fascism. Which do you think is the lesser evil?

I don't believe that we face a binary choice between "overthrow the government via revolution" and "fascism".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Bananana posted:

Some reporting on the rear end in a top hat from New York indicates he'd been held at a mental facility previously, for a day or two, after alleged threatening behaviorin school. I would assume that that was mandated, and as such it's gonna be super fun to find out he was still allowed to buy the firearms he did, without issue.

It's 100% legal for people to buy guns without issue in that scenario. The only situation where mental health could stop you from getting a gun in the US is if you are adjudicated mentally unfit and served time in a mental facility as your sentence instead of prison.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

A meaningful third party on the left would effectively just hand control over to the Republicans--which, in fairness, is the case regardless--while at the same time driving the Democrats even further to the right than they already are. Nothing is going to be accomplished without direct action, and you're never going to see a successful leftist party in American politics unless you completely hollow out the Democrats and "Great Replacement" them from within. And since the one thing the Democrats are truly effective at is compromising and drowning leftist political movements, I don't really see that happening.

We're way past the point where we could establish a new leftist political party that gains traction in time to stop the whole system from collapsing into bloody rubble. There just isn't a timeframe where it could be accomplished before the Democrats and the Republicans burn it all down.

How are u posted:

I don't believe that we face a binary choice between "overthrow the government via revolution" and "fascism".

Okay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

I've seen you talking about the importance of direct action in the climate thread and you should know that it doesn't have to be getting guns and storming capitol buildings. Organizing your work place, supporting third party candidates in local elections where they have the chance to make a difference, working with NGOs aligned with your values, citizen lobbying, agitating for a general strike and talking to anyone you know that might be persuadable to get more politically engaged.

Unfortunately we'd all have to stop playing Elden Ring for a few minutes so it's probably a pipe dream.

I will say with direct action vs electoralism, the two are not mutually exclusive and voting for whichever candidate you can stomach does not preclude you from engaging with more direct action.

Unless you (the general you) have something new and insightful to say about electoralism I'd really prefer not to see this argument get rehashed for the umpteenth time. Thanks.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 16, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Professor Beetus posted:

I've seen you talking about the importance of direct action in the climate thread and you should know that it doesn't have to be getting guns and storming capitol buildings. Organizing your work place, supporting third party candidates in local elections where they have the chance to make a difference, working with NGOs aligned with your values, citizen lobbying, agitating for a general strike and talking to anyone you know that might be persuadable to get more politically engaged.

Yes, no joke. That's productive action, I am 1000% behind that work. The people who just want to talk about Revolution don't seem to suggest doing that work. These are the folks who reject electoralism, reject citizen lobbying, etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Speaking of gun control, the Supreme Court has a case on its current docket that they will rule on in the next month and are almost certainly going to strike down.

Some states passed laws requiring people getting a concealed carry license to provide a reason for needing one (and generic "personal safety" doesn't count) and they were sued a few years ago.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just one poll, but McCormick has plummeted and the absolutely insane lady who has been steadily gaining in the polls is now tied with Dr. Oz in the primary. Voting is tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1526251472211542016

Just a few highlights from Barnette:

- Thought Obama was a muslim.
- Wants to send gay kids to conversion camps.
- Said black people have a slave mentality still and want to get on welfare to avoid providing for their family (she is also black)
- Called Muslims "animals" and said they need to rounded up and interned or deported unless they prove they are safe.
- Said transgenderism is not real and the product of demonic energy infiltrating society.
- Wants to put armed guards at the border to shoot people trying to cross illegally.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The second part about changing federal funding for more multi-family housing and manufactured homes/reducing the number of institutional investors buying single-family homes is going to be very significant, but only within those small categories. There's not a ton of houses being directly funded through HUD and even though institutional investors have been buying a lot of single family homes recently, they still only own ~1.5% of the single-family home market. That means even if that provision was effective in wiping out 100% of institutional investor owners of single-family homes, it wouldn't impact ~98.5% of houses.

I see this sort of thing brought up a lot lately when institutional investing is blamed for anything. The general shoot-down is 'number low, has no effect' but I can't ever find any good context.

For example, is that 1.5% of all single-family homes, or just the for sale market? How concentrated is it?

From random googling and unmatched years, there are 70 million sfh's, and 5 million sale in a year, if average time on market is 6 months that would be 2.5m/70 on the market, or 3.5%. If 1.5 of the 3.5 are owned by institutional investors, that's painting 1.5%, which is a massive number in context, as insignificant.

Has anyone seen a good write-up that answers these questions or puts the numbers in a better context?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

Yes, no joke. That's productive action, I am 1000% behind that work. The people who just want to talk about Revolution don't seem to suggest doing that work. These are the folks who reject electoralism, reject citizen lobbying, etc.

Sometimes that's the implication yes, but some of the things I've listed there are points of agreement with a diverse group of CE posters, and it would be more productive for conversation to start with shared values and talk specifics about what direct action can feasibly look like without getting into revolution chat.

And I didn't mean to pick on your post in particular, I'm just trying to keep people talking in a more productive way this morning. Thanks everyone for your effort.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

bobua posted:

I see this sort of thing brought up a lot lately when institutional investing is blamed for anything. The general shoot-down is 'number low, has no effect' but I can't ever find any good context.

For example, is that 1.5% of all single-family homes, or just the for sale market? How concentrated is it?

From random googling and unmatched years, there are 70 million sfh's, and 5 million sale in a year, if average time on market is 6 months that would be 2.5m/70 on the market, or 3.5%. If 1.5 of the 3.5 are owned by institutional investors, that's painting 1.5%, which is a massive number in context, as insignificant.

Has anyone seen a good write-up that answers these questions or puts the numbers in a better context?

It says in the follow up post that the 1.5% is percentage of total single-family rental units owned. They own about 0.4% of total single-family housing units. The worry about institutional investors isn't that they own a lot of housing stock right now. It's that they have been purchasing a larger share of the houses that go up for sale in the last two years.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

How are u posted:

what do you call it when the government's dragging people out of their homes for their crimes in violating principles of ethnic hygiene, again

bad news, it's no longer a question of 'will we have fascism in America,' that ship has sailed. the question has become 'will I become one of its targets before I die."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just one poll, but McCormick has plummeted and the absolutely insane lady who has been steadily gaining in the polls is now tied with Dr. Oz in the primary. Voting is tomorrow.

- Said black people have a slave mentality still and want to get on welfare to avoid providing for their family (she is also black)
- Called Muslims "animals" and said they need to rounded up and interned or deported unless they prove they are safe.
- Said transgenderism is not real and the product of demonic energy infiltrating society.
- Wants to put armed guards at the border to shoot people trying to cross illegally.

The whole 'demonic trans kids' thing is rather popular among the brainworms set. Baphomet is the big ringleader apparently.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Barnette has also marched with two different groups associated with white supremacism (despite being black).

Although, she says that one of them was just a coincidence and she just happened to be marching with them because they were both... storming the capitol on January 6th together.

https://twitter.com/DashaBurns/status/1526184172208914432

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Trump was just the beginning. America is going to be full on Nazi Germany at this rate.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

edit whoops sorry

Silly Kitty
Sep 29, 2007

Here kitty, kitty, kitty.

It's 100% legal for people to buy guns without issue in that scenario. The only situation where mental health could stop you from getting a gun in the US is if you are adjudicated mentally unfit and served time in a mental facility as your sentence instead of prison.

Depends on where you live. In California, anyone placed on a 5150 hold is barred from purchasing or owning guns for 5 years unless they successfully petition for restoration of their rights. This does not include anyone that gets inpatient treatment on a voluntary basis, just those placed on 3 day holds for involuntary treatment.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Silly Kitty posted:

Depends on where you live. In California, anyone placed on a 5150 hold is barred from purchasing or owning guns for 5 years unless they successfully petition for restoration of their rights. This does not include anyone that gets inpatient treatment on a voluntary basis, just those placed on 3 day holds for involuntary treatment.

Yeah, I should have specified federally.

Some states have different laws, but only California and a couple other states have any limits on non-adjudicated individuals buying guns.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Josef bugman posted:

DarkCrawler, in the nicest possible way, please stop. No-one gives a poo poo about your none evidential musings about how fascism can be stopped by shunning alone.

Good thing that was never my claim.

quote:

People have asked you questions about your points of view and you retreat into testerical musings on how they are all against you and are simply "unwilling to do the hard work". When people raise objections you shout, when people try to ask you to explain you complain. Every time anything approaching clarity on what you want people to do and how that will create the end result you want you return to saying "not like that"

I had a whole thread about explaining my viewpoint. Feel free to look at the responses. It's not me who avoided direct questions and posting sources to justify my viewpoint. It's not me who drove it into morality, or religion, instead of political strategies and effectiveness. When you say I "shout" and "complain" that is a lie, as any exchange there can tell you.

quote:

If not like that then how? If not how you do it then when? What you apparently want is to argue about something you don't actually understand on the internet. But please, do it on a tumblr or a blog where you can curate your own little area and stop inflicting this many words to say nothing.

I'll try to, once again, explain.

The current American leftist approach is basically the approach many here advocate towards the fascists in their life, only at a larger level. If we just explain our nice message the right way, surely the person American people will be rational and realize that they are the best off with me and it is the wealthy who are the problem.

They miss that everyone has already heard their message. If they know that everyone has already heard their message, then it must be about the presentation. The idea that maybe a good message just isn't enough to win never seems to enter the mind.

They get consistently defeated by people who use often corrupt (at least morally if not legally) patronage and client networks to both get their message out to the voters and mobilize them to actually go to the polls, and the politics of fear and hate. The Democratic establishment operates more on the former, the GOP on the latter but both go to each well if required.

The left refuses to engage in the former because it represents a system they want to tear down. As for the latter, they only utilize it when it is about hating the rich.

Due to various historical and cultural factors, "the Rich are loving you over" just doesn't seem to be enough for leftist victories in America. It seems to require a higher degree of political engagement, explicitly leftist views on economic matters and to motivate. I'd say that this is reflected in the composition of progressive Democrat voters.

You don't need significant any of those things to motivate voters based on hate, and it has other advantages besides the obvious impetus to vote It is efficient in gaining free publicity and air time. It eliminates compromise with the opposing side and dissension in the ranks. It coalesces important political concepts into a binary choice of with us or against us. It makes the political representatives afraid of even looking like they might vote against whatever the party is fighting against. And a wave of it can get bunch of unknowns elected without any work put in.

I think all of those are good things when it comes to what the left is driving for.

I wish that "gently caress the rich" would be enough to engender that hatred in a significant enough part of the electorate, but it seems that Americans need either hatred for a specific person or their fellow man to go to polls in good amounts. Not just nebulous malignant elites.

(For example I don't think Biden won because of his inherent charisma, political record, promises or positivity, I think it was because people hated Trump. And I don't think Trump won because of those things either, he won because he attacked the people that his electorate hated.)

So, to summarize:

I think the left should engage in politics of hate because of their effectiveness and because both their enemies are engaging in it, I think Republican voters are the perfect target for it, and I think it will make attacks against those in their own party compromising with Republicans more efficient.

And it will never happen as long as the majority viewpoint among the left is that fascists are lost and confused souls who are deep down good people. People who don't believe that have already cut out the fascists in their life.

And if you are dedicated enough morally/politically for that, you will go to the polls as well.

So, to summarize even shorter:

Hate = effective

People who sympathize with and hang out with fascists = incapable of the required hate.

It's not like there isn't hope. America is becoming more divided and partisan, and more left-leaning Americans are cutting out fascists from their lives. I just hope it becomes the dominating view so it will be reflected in political rhetoric as well.

------

As for forum drama, just like the leftists here like to rag on other leftists for being less leftist than they are over and over again, I should be able to do the same. Because if (sometimes not even actual but perceived) defense of liberals make you a bad of a leftist, defense of fascists definitely does. Even if that fascist is your grandma.

Btw. I'd be fine with "yes my grandma is a fascist piece of poo poo but I value my relationship with them more then fostering political efficiency in all things". But instead I get teary eyed excuses made for fascist pieces of poo poo. And usually from the same people who blame others for making excuses for liberal pieces of poo poo as if the same indoctrination they blame for their relatives being bad people doesn't apply to belief in the power of capitalism, only to belief in white supremacy.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 16, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Where did you pull this figure from? I've always found investor ownership of SFHs an opaque subject that is hard to get solid data on.

Leon was talking about current home ownership. Investors are buying SFHs at record rates:

quote:

Real Estate Investors Are Buying a Record Share of U.S. Homes

* Investors bought 18.4% of the U.S. homes that were purchased in the fourth quarter, a record high.

* Investor demand is stronger than ever as home prices increase, allowing investors to charge higher rents and sell flipped homes for higher prices.

* Real estate investors bought roughly 80,000 U.S. homes worth a total of $50 billion in the fourth quarter, up significantly from a year earlier.

* Mid-priced homes are becoming more popular with investors, making up 32% of investor purchases in the fourth quarter, a record high. Low-priced homes are still most popular with investors, making up 37% of purchases.

* Investors had the highest market shares in Atlanta, Charlotte and Jacksonville.

Real estate investors bought a record 18.4% of the homes that were sold in the U.S. during the fourth quarter of 2021, up from 12.6% a year earlier and a revised rate of 17.4% in the third quarter.

The number of homes bought by investors jumped throughout 2021 as home prices rose rapidly–they were up 15% year over year in December–alongside a shortage of homes for sale. Investors are taking advantage of intense demand for rentals and increasing prices, with the average monthly rental payment for a new lease up 14% in December.

Just over three-quarters (75.3%) of investor home purchases were paid for with all cash in the fourth quarter.

“While record-high home prices are problematic for individual homebuyers, they’re one reason why investor demand is stronger than ever,” said Redfin economist Sheharyar Bokhari. “Investors are chasing rising prices because rental payments are also skyrocketing, incentivizing investors who plan to rent out the homes they buy. The supply shortage is also an advantage for landlords, as many people who can’t find a home to buy are forced to rent instead. Plus, investors who ‘flip’ homes see potential to turn a big profit as home prices soar.”

“Investors buying up a record share of for-sale homes is one factor making this market difficult for regular homebuyers,” Bokhari continued. “It’s tough to compete with all-cash offers, and rising mortgage rates have a smaller impact on investors because they often don’t use mortgages at all. If home-price growth slows in the coming year, investor demand may cool down because rental price growth will slow, too.”

In dollar terms, investors bought $49.9 billion worth of homes in the fourth quarter, up from $35 billion a year earlier. The typical home investors purchased sold for $432,971, up nearly 10% from a year earlier. The price increase comes amid surging prices in the overall housing market.

More at the link.

(Ironically, I remember this increase bc a year or so ago Leon was downplaying the institutional purchases of single-family homes after I pointed out the record purchases of multifamily homes by institutional investors.)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Leon was talking about current home ownership. Investors are buying SFHs at record rates:

More at the link.

(Ironically, I remember this increase bc a year or so ago Leon was downplaying the institutional purchases of single-family homes after I pointed out the record purchases of multifamily homes by institutional investors.)

Almost twenty percent of all homes were purchased by investors? In a few decades the housing market for the common consumer will cease to exist.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Just the start of our transition to Gilead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

punk rebel ecks posted:

Almost twenty percent of all homes were purchased by investors? In a few decades the housing market for the common consumer will cease to exist.

Every time I think "drat, we could sell our house for over 2.5x what we paid around 7 years ago, my second thought is "but where the gently caress could we actually afford to move?"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah, that's why it's a horror show, and shouldn't be downplayed, no matter which team you're on. And when investors bring in offers of all-cash, 10 percent over asking, families can't compete.

Some HOAs are actually writing into their bylaws clauses that make it harder for institutional investors to snap up properties--a rare case of their doing good instead of evil.

eta: That's single-family homes; institutional investors have already been buying up more than half of the multifamily home market for several years.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 16, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Just the start of our transition to Gilead.

Is this because one of those "fetal protection laws" that 2/3 of states (including many blue ones) have?

Do you have a link to the actual story? Because I'm seeing a lot of people claim that women are being charged for miscarriages (or stillbirths) when it's almost certainly these lovely laws that Dems have helped pass holding women responsible for their drug use during pregnancy.

eta: Are you sure that's not the Oklahoma case of the woman who did meth-while-pregnant? Because she had a stillbirth, too.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The so-called "fetal protection" laws are interesting in context of how women have lost their rights incrementally, because once you declare a fetus as human life from the moment of conception, you've got your foot in the door for murder charges if anything happens to the fetus that is found to be the woman's "fault."

(The laws are also used when, say, someone pregnant is murdered to charge double homicides.)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Willa Rogers posted:

Is this because one of those "fetal protection laws" that 2/3 of states (including many blue ones) have?

Do you have a link to the actual story? Because I'm seeing a lot of people claim that women are being charged for miscarriages (or stillbirths) when it's almost certainly these lovely laws that Dems have helped pass holding women responsible for their drug use during pregnancy.

eta: Are you sure that's not the Oklahoma case of the woman who did meth-while-pregnant? Because she had a stillbirth, too.

It's Texas: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/apr/10/texas-woman-murder-charges-dropped-self-induced-abortion

The woman who was thrown in jail on a murder charge in Texas for allegedly having caused the “death of an individual by self-induced abortion” has been released after the local district attorney dropped the case.

Lizelle Herrera, 26, was reported to be back with her family on Sunday after the district attorney in Rio Grande City, on the US-Mexico border, put out a statement saying he was immediately dismissing the case. Herrera had been arrested last Thursday and placed in the Starr county jail on the back of a grand jury indictment.

------

Only The Beginning of all of this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The woman in Texas was named Lizelle Herrerra. She was originally charged with murder because she went to the hospital after a miscarriage and a nurse suspected she had induced an abortion. The charges were eventually dropped once it became clear that inducing your own abortion is not actually illegal in Texas (yet).

Unless there's another, more recent, miscarriage-to-murder-charge story I'm not aware of. I wish that tweet image had had the timestamp included.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/10/us/texas-self-induced-abortion-charge-dismissed.html

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Emerson has different results for the GOP primary than the Susquehanna poll:

Oz: 32 percent
Barnette: 27 percent
McCormick: 26

This seems more in keeping with other polls than McCormick dropping to 11 percent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

The woman in Texas was named Lizelle Herrerra. She was originally charged with murder because she went to the hospital after a miscarriage and a nurse suspected she had induced an abortion. The charges were eventually dropped once it became clear that inducing your own abortion is not actually illegal in Texas (yet).

Unless there's another, more recent, miscarriage-to-murder-charge story I'm not aware of. I wish that tweet image had had the timestamp included.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/10/us/texas-self-induced-abortion-charge-dismissed.html

Thanks! That is, indeed, a different case from the Oklahoma woman who had a stillbirth.