Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Amorphous Abode posted:

Oh, and if you're looking for a roguelike on Switch that strays further away from the usual rooms with monsters stuff, the Tumbleseed Switch port makes great use of the HD rumble. It's a game loosely based on an old mechanical Taito arcade cabinet about using a tilt bar to guide a pinball up a wall filled with holes. Super difficult, but in a fulfilling way.

hell yeah Ice Cold Beer rules, a few of my local barcades have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

I never hear anything about this one. Is it actually worthwhile?

it's a lot of fun, if quite hectic!

tildes explained it well enough - the gameplay loop revolves around spending the daytime running around, exploring, fighting mobs and scavenging, then during the night you're defending your crops from waves of enemies. there's a lot going on at once, but it has a really unique aesthetic and sound and i don't think there's anything quite like it

precision posted:

obvious answer, but did you play Exit the Gungeon? in some ways i found it better, in some ways worse, overall it's really good though

i never actually checked it out - i got the impression that it's more of an autoscroller type game which didn't really interest me....

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

parthenocarpy posted:

Unexplored is on switch but by God I don't know how you'd play it without a mouse.

Anyone looked at Unexplored 2? Seems nothing like the first game at all, which was a complete ripoff of Brogue but real time. Very fun game, terribly underrated

I played a bit a couples months ago and it was fairly buggy. It's leaving early access on the 27th, I'd wait until then (or later), unless you want to support the developer.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was enjoying RL2 but I sort of stopped having fun by the time I got to the Study. Maybe it's because I cleared the third level very quickly that I'm underleveled/traited or something but I've unlocked the boss and fought them once and they had so much hp I found it tedious. Also just the general annoyance of dashing into a painting or whatever sucks.

The study isnt all that bad to be honest. Also you dont have to defeat the boss for now, if you grabbed the power there you can visit the 5th area and loot some new gear there with silver chests.

Also here's a foolproof tactic to destroy Enoch:

Be a cook. The cook lets you reflect the coins in phase 2 and the bottles and you can also just stay in the air and eat soup for that phase when it dashes around. Also you have free access to damage over time, take any relics that buff DoT. Also take any relics that intend invulnerability and +100% damage after being hit.

As far as the difficulty of the stages go... it gets so much worse with the NG+ burdens. Aside from stronger enemies, here's the hazard effects:

Citadel: All single Ball n chain turn into triples.
Axis Mundi. There is a huge chain of cannonballs coming from the sky periodically. This is the change I hate the most
Frozen Area: All of the icebloom hazards get one of those scars in the middle so they become huge no no zones
Stygian Study: There's a voidwall spawning either to the left or right side of the screen and closes in on you, has to be dashed through
Sun Tower: Spectral Dragoon Lancers spawn in outside areas. They can be hit to destroy and will slightly home in towards you.
Dry Lake: A huge loving line of automatons is drawn across the screen, needs to be avoided before it triggers..

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chin Strap posted:

I never hear anything about this one. Is it actually worthwhile?

I think I got it from a humble bundle or something but yeah it's pretty solid! It's a fairly tough twin-stick arena shooter with some cool base defense twists. Pretty difficult though, I think that may have caused some people to bounce off.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

If you haven't played atomicrops since the humble bundle release give it another try, they changed a lot of things since. One of the more important ones is that weapons no longer break between days, which was a ridiculous design choice in the first place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Your Computer posted:

it's a lot of fun, if quite hectic!

tildes explained it well enough - the gameplay loop revolves around spending the daytime running around, exploring, fighting mobs and scavenging, then during the night you're defending your crops from waves of enemies. there's a lot going on at once, but it has a really unique aesthetic and sound and i don't think there's anything quite like it

i never actually checked it out - i got the impression that it's more of an autoscroller type game which didn't really interest me....

it's not an autoscroller at all, it's basically the same game except it's side-view instead of top-down, so there's both a jump and a dodge roll button. instead of picking up guns, your gun changes at random, and if you keep your chain up you get better guns

a lot of the levels are really well done considering all you're doing is shooting things. check it out!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have to say I'm kind of hating how rogue legacy 2 is totally designed around the metaprogression that makes early areas totally trivial and boring, but then incentivizes doing them anyways because there will be relics and health upgrades scattered through them

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
dungeonmans wins again

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
You really don't have to play it like that though. What I have been doing for my runs is I start in stage 3 or 4, then loop back to 1 or 2 to restock on health if needed before diving into stage five.

I just beat the stage five estuary, though, so I guess I'll finish with stage six instead going forward.

Depending on my class and traits and mood, I might just jump straight to stage six. The game really is pretty flexible. If you find the way you're playing is boring, try playing in a non-boring way. Optimal and safe is not needed to win.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Major Isoor posted:

But anyway! I'm just wondering if there are any other roguelikes in the same vein, where they're kinda...narrative-driven, I guess? Compared to the usual dungeon crawl style roguelike where you navigate a map, I mean. Since I'm pretty sure ALL is the first one like this I've played, and it's been pretty good - I've barely been able to put it down! (and then when I'm trying to sleep, the battle music is stuck in my head :v: )
Caves of Qud has a remarkable setting and lore, and a main quest with memorable characters

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wittgen posted:

The game really is pretty flexible. If you find the way you're playing is boring, try playing in a non-boring way. Optimal and safe is not needed to win.
you understand that the problem is that playing and purposefully skipping good stuff would also not be fun, right

I don't play roguelikes to not optimize, it's like at least half the reason I'm into the genre in the first place

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Finished Gildenburg in The Last Spell on run 12. It was tough but I tried to utilize both weapon sets this time + offhands to give myself the most options possible, gave my dudes some scrolls and mana potions, plopped down the simplest barricades to delay the waves and stopped wasting gold on the weapon building and just focused on he shop.

I'm also seeing in the new dev notes that they're reworking production buildings to share upgrade levels and the shop to increase automatically which was probably my only gripe with the mechanics. Game good.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 16, 2022

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Tann posted:

In my dice game, you get your 5 basic heroes and have to pick one of 4 curses. These are always the same. The starting heroes are entirely replaced by half way through a run.

I'm working on a huge update and there are now 4x as many starting heroes and loads of curses. You get 5 starting heroes at random and a selection of 4 random curses. I want to treat this all as extra variety, rather than players deciding on their favorite 5 heroes and curses always playing with them. I know that if I let people restart, they will restart until they get something they're happy with. This is essentially just a very bad UI for selecting your starting load-out, unless you are trying to get a good win-streak.

I've made a system that works to avoid this. You get offered the same starting setup as last time until you reach level 3/20. It takes about 4mins and by that time you've already replaced a hero and got some loot.

The problem with this is that I know it will make many players very angry. I'm ruining their fun! Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I imagine other roguelikes may have solved this.

-

Perhaps win rate / win-streaks is enough incentive and I should just let people do what they want. I'm just very aware that players will always do the best strategy, regardless of if it's more fun.

Idea: reroll at the cost of current health? Or, a mulligan where each reroll randomly locks in one class?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Finished Gildenburg in The Last Spell on run 12. It was tough but I tried to utilize both weapon sets this time + offhands to give myself the most options possible, gave my dudes some scrolls and mana potions, plopped down the simplest barricades to delay the waves and stopped wasting gold on the weapon building and just focused on he shop.

I'm also seeing in the new dev notes that they're reworking production buildings to share upgrade levels and the shop to increase automatically which was probably my only gripe with the mechanics. Game good.

I haven’t touched The Last Spell since week 1, but all this talk has me wanting to go back to it. Is it worth it, or should I still hold off for a while?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Chakan posted:

I haven’t touched The Last Spell since week 1, but all this talk has me wanting to go back to it. Is it worth it, or should I still hold off for a while?

It looked very tower defense which was a turn off but having a party and stuff sounds fun. I generally don’t buy until games are out of early access though

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
1.0 release is supposed to come in June, so if you want to hold off it's not that far away.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Backpack Hero trip report #2: wow archers are really good, just droppin 30 poison per action on things and taking advantage of the sheer number of consumables that drop to never take any damage into the bargain

still haven't really gotten any magic item more elaborate than 1 mana: deal 11 to work

not sure what Duct Tape is for but it seems like it should be absolutely busted

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Backpack Hero trip report #2: wow archers are really good, just droppin 30 poison per action on things and taking advantage of the sheer number of consumables that drop to never take any damage into the bargain

still haven't really gotten any magic item more elaborate than 1 mana: deal 11 to work

The archer run I did I found an item that uses 1 mana to give +1 damage to all adjacent weapons, had three arrows and a shiv next to it and would pump a dozen mana into it, I was just one shotting fools left and right, it was absurd.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Congrats! Lakeburg is quite similar, the only added challenges are figuring out the new enemy types (took me some time to realize you can click on them and read their attack description) and deciding when to get the Inn & Seer. (and upgrade the Inn)

The patch notes sound really cool, but I find the price reduction of the weapon buildings to 60 extremely funny. "Well, we already buffed these buildings by doubling default production, making them share upgrades, improving worker efficiency, and allowing rerolls; but we're not sure that's enough so now they also cost 10 less gold."

Naramyth posted:

It looked very tower defense which was a turn off but having a party and stuff sounds fun. I generally don’t buy until games are out of early access though

Eh, it's less a tower defense game and more a roguelike take on Final Fantasy Tactics.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Walh Hara posted:

Eh, it's less a tower defense game and more a roguelike take on Final Fantasy Tactics.

dont give me hope

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Naramyth posted:

dont give me hope

It is quite excellent, I've put 52 hours in it so far and am excited to play more once the new patch comes out!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

IronicDongz posted:

you understand that the problem is that playing and purposefully skipping good stuff would also not be fun, right

I don't play roguelikes to not optimize, it's like at least half the reason I'm into the genre in the first place

It kind of goes back to what Rogue Legacy is selling, and what puts a lot of people off the game conceptually to begin with, but it's a game where you can grind infinitely for meta-upgrades that give you advantages. At some point, your time becomes one of the resources you have to factor in. Yes, I could go scour the castle for temporary HP upgrades that let me soak up an extra hit or two each time I want to attempt a boss. Or I could use the Architect to lock the castle in and teleport straight to the boss with a new heir, and I can probably do that 3 or 4 times in the amount of time it takes me to do a single prep run. Maybe that extra practice means I can beat the fight taking one fewer hit, negating the need for that HP upgrade to begin with.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I guess what it comes down to is that I don't want to either scour the castle for stuff, or skip straight to the boss with the architect.

what I want is to be able to get the rewards for an earlier area of the castle without spending a bunch of time doing content that is now way too easy to be engaging.

like, at the start of a run, if you've already beaten bosses, take the HP ups/relics/blessings from their areas and dump them in a room right at the start or something. because it's not hard to go back through their areas, it's just really boring(but also absolutely gives you a substantial advantage).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IronicDongz posted:

I guess what it comes down to is that I don't want to either scour the castle for stuff, or skip straight to the boss with the architect.

what I want is to be able to get the rewards for an earlier area of the castle without spending a bunch of time doing content that is now way too easy to be engaging.

like, at the start of a run, if you've already beaten bosses, take the HP ups/relics/blessings from their areas and dump them in a room right at the start or something. because it's not hard to go back through their areas, it's just really boring(but also absolutely gives you a substantial advantage).

Rogue Legacy 2 (and I remember RL1 before it being the same way) is designed around you going area by area, so you unlock the ability to permanently open teleporters at the start of each area. The fact that it has the resolve system in play limiting the amount of relics you can have at one time only further emphasizes this. Don't waste your time with earlier content unless you're grinding, but also don't just skip right to the boss unless you really just want to turbo the boss down and move on to the next area.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, I know.

I feel like you're not really talking about the actual issue I have here, which is that you get a significant mechanical advantage from redoing earlier areas.

If you redo the earlier areas, it sucks because those areas are too easy and are now boring.
If you don't redo the earlier areas, it sucks because you're weaker and more likely to lose not because of anything to do with your own skill, but rather just 'the content is tedious'.

Resolve doesn't solve this issue because
a). visiting more rooms with relics still gives you more choices of relics to spend your limited resolve on,
b). permanent health ups exist and don't cost resolves, and
c). blessings exist, are situationally very strong, and also don't cost resolve.

I don't see what would be harmed by taking all these 3 things out of rooms in already beaten areas and throwing them in a room right next to the starting teleporter so you could have them without grinding earlier zones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IronicDongz posted:

I have to say I'm kind of hating how rogue legacy 2 is totally designed around the metaprogression that makes early areas totally trivial and boring, but then incentivizes doing them anyways because there will be relics and health upgrades scattered through them

you really don't have to run old areas, i find that once you're swole enough to beat the boss you can safely start future runs at the next area

i do think that the gold rewards should be increased a bit because it seems to happen pretty quick that you hit a point where you can only buy maybe one upgrade per run because of how expensive they get

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm gonna respond by getting to the core disconnect here, which is that:

IronicDongz posted:

I feel like you're not really talking about the actual issue I have here, which is that you get a significant mechanical advantage from redoing earlier areas.

If you redo the earlier areas, it sucks because those areas are too easy and are now boring.
If you don't redo the earlier areas, it sucks because you're weaker and more likely to lose not because of anything to do with your own skill, but rather just 'the content is tedious'.

This just isn't true? Most of the time redoing earlier areas is a complete waste of time. Maybe you get lucky and find a fruit room, maybe you get lucky and one of the relics you come across is worthwhile, but most of the time, the only thing you're going to get from redoing earlier areas is a relatively small amount of gold, ingots, aether, and XP. It's just not worth the time investment, not because it's boring and tedious, but because the rewards you get for doing it are basically insignificant.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

King of Solomon posted:

Maybe you get lucky and find a fruit room, maybe you get lucky and one of the relics you come across is worthwhile, but most of the time, the only thing you're going to get from redoing earlier areas is a relatively small amount of gold, ingots, aether, and XP.
This is completely false. I almost always redo earlier areas and you usually get at least 2 fruit rooms and a couple of either relics or blessings across the first two areas, the fourth area has a guaranteed fruit room and relic room right next to each other, and the third area has 2 extra guaranteed relic spawns that replace the lilies that are there initially. Literally all of that is significant.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IronicDongz posted:

This is completely false. I almost always redo earlier areas and you usually get at least 2 fruit rooms and a couple of either relics or blessings across the first two areas, the fourth area has a guaranteed fruit room and relic room right next to each other, and the third area has 2 extra guaranteed relic spawns that replace the lilies that are there initially. Literally all of that is significant.

:shrug:

Outside of the guaranteed fruit room in zone 4, fruit rooms are uncommon. 99% of the time I ignore blessings because the defaults are fine and what they offer is worse. At that point, it comes down to if the relics you encounter are enough, and in my opinion, it generally isn't, especially considering the resolve system.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Walh Hara posted:

Congrats! Lakeburg is quite similar, the only added challenges are figuring out the new enemy types (took me some time to realize you can click on them and read their attack description) and deciding when to get the Inn & Seer. (and upgrade the Inn)

The patch notes sound really cool, but I find the price reduction of the weapon buildings to 60 extremely funny. "Well, we already buffed these buildings by doubling default production, making them share upgrades, improving worker efficiency, and allowing rerolls; but we're not sure that's enough so now they also cost 10 less gold."

Just to be sure, are you referring to Last Spell?
Cause drat that sounds interesting.

I snatched up Tangledeep and Streets of Rogue the other day and they both seem to play very well on switch.

Edit: Sky Rogue is cool on switch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
considering if you're upgrading equipment you're only gonna have enough Resolve to equip 2 or 3 Relics anyway, i don't see the issue

the fruit room thing is not really a consideration imo. you can buy permanent health upgrades so instead of looking for fruit rooms in old zones, just doing the newest zones will always be the best use of your time because if you need health upgrades that bad you can therefore and thus spend all the gold you get on later zones on health ups

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

IronicDongz posted:

I don't see what would be harmed by taking all these 3 things out of rooms in already beaten areas and throwing them in a room right next to the starting teleporter so you could have them without grinding earlier zones.
I agree with you on this. I just used the Architect for the first time and was astounded to learn that the fruit rooms (and, I presume, relic rooms) don't reset.

I thought the point of locking the castle might be to easily re-collect upgrades you got from the last run, but it's worse than that, it's really just a way to let your brand new guy wail on the boss.

For me, the extra health and runes have mattered a lot for beating the bosses, so going through the whole map has been beneficial and indeed is starting to get boring. But it might be that I should just get gud!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Naramyth posted:

dont give me hope

Oh The Last Spell is extremely good, gameplay wise probably the best FFT style game made in the last like 10 years. There were some huge issues with metaprogression but I've heard they've done a lot to improve that since I last played it.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 17, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

King of Solomon posted:

:shrug:

Outside of the guaranteed fruit room in zone 4, fruit rooms are uncommon.
On my last run I got 4 fruit rooms by redoing earlier areas. They're seemingly each adding extra HP by a percentage, and stacking multiplicatively so you get a lot more HP with them.
I think I wound up with somewhere around 75% more HP than I would have if I didn't get them.

King of Solomon posted:

99% of the time I ignore blessings because the defaults are fine and what they offer is worse. At that point, it comes down to if the relics you encounter are enough, and in my opinion, it generally isn't, especially considering the resolve system.
Losing out on extra weapon/magic damage, and especially extra 20% resolve, can be a pretty big miss. If the thing you can switch to is roughly as good for you as what you currently have you generally should, particularly talent swaps.
(And they can be better, like getting comet form which is insane.)

King of Solomon posted:

At that point, it comes down to if the relics you encounter are enough, and in my opinion, it generally isn't, especially considering the resolve system.
Encountering more relics gives you more opportunities to get good combinations-like on my last gunslinger run, where by redoing earlier areas I found "apply poison on weapon hit" and a double version of "do 20% more damage to enemies with a status effect"(so, I was doing +40% more damage on top of inflicting poison). Also as per the last thing, I swapped my talent for something else for another 20% resolve which made taking those relics easier.

If I hadn't gone through earlier areas to find those, I would have been rocking like... dreamcatcher and ambrosia instead. Obviously rerolls exist but with the couple of rerolls I have I was unlikely to get anywhere near as good of a combo as that. The more relics you encounter the better chance you have to put together a strong build, period.

And at the end of the day, this might be a difference of like... design philosophy, but even if what I got was only half as good it still shouldn't be gated behind "do something boring".
Again, what would be lost if these special drops, from areas you've already beaten, were placed in a room at the start instead of spread out through boringly easy outleveled areas?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sivart13 posted:

For me, the extra health and runes have mattered a lot for beating the bosses, so going through the whole map has been beneficial and indeed is starting to get boring. But it might be that I should just get gud!

i'm gonna reiterate that you likely would have more health, and it would be permanent, if you just started on later zones and therefore got more gold for your time

instead of grinding extra health for every dude, just grind extra health for ALL your dudes :)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't like to play for the longterm estate, I want to play to do as well as possible on my current run

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I've played a few runs of BPH now and it's super cool but it also completely kicks my rear end, at some point I'll reach a floor where every enemy is too tough for me to kill in one turn and hits too hard for me to reliably block everything even if I entirely forgo offence and then I just get worn down (or, sometimes, obliterated in a single fight). And this happens really suddenly too -- I'll go from handling floor N without trouble to getting my poo poo kicked in on floor N+1. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I dunno that Backpack Hero is selling itself to me. It feels like it wants to be a shorter game, it seems prone to long stretches where your loadout is basically set aside from fiddling around the edges with curses/consumables and lots of fights are same-y (including literally fighting the same enemy groups multiple times per area.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Disappointed to see a lack of Risk of Rain 1 and 2 in the Switch roguelike discourse. 1 runs phenomenally and 2 runs just well enough to be a blast (and watch fall apart as you play with more friends during multiplayer sessions)