Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I know nothing worthwhile about renting, but I have run it on a headless Linux server, and it's extremely easy with LGSM (Linux game server manager), like a couple console commands and it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
we should all boycott this game until devs release mistlands imo

enough is enough

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I will not buy one more Valheim loot box until the game is complete.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I don't have a spare PC to use as a server so we rent from survivalservers.com and it's worked well. We had one outage that they fixed real quick and their control panel is on the better side compared to some places I've dealt with.

I'm pretty excited for Mistlands. Caves got me back into the game for a hot minute but you know what to expect pretty quickly and they don't really push you to explore further, just to do more thorough mountain explorations (which is good).
Mistlands will give us a whole new biome full of views and vistas and ways to die horribly.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

My friends and I want to set up a dedicated server for valheim for a little while, does anyone here know what they're doing with that, and could you point me in the right direction to get it set up?

I stood up https://hub.docker.com/r/lloesche/valheim-server on Ubuntu on a spare mac mini I had laying around pretty easily because it supports Valheim Plus natively. I can post my startup script (minus passowords) if you'd like (it has the V+ config in it). Linux Game Server Manager looks simialrly easy.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

we should all boycott this game until devs release mistlands imo

enough is enough

I just cancelled my sub.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

empty whippet box posted:

My friends and I want to set up a dedicated server for valheim for a little while, does anyone here know what they're doing with that, and could you point me in the right direction to get it set up?

If you cant do it on your own machine, we've been using g-portal for a year and its been great, zero issues. They have Valheim+ integrated as an option too so its easy to get a modded server going.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
we really should get all the goons on one server, including friends. the game gets old fast enough that i doubt you'd see too many people on at any one time. plus as we all know, the pre swamp bits are the most fun

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

The hard part would be that some people want mods and some don’t, and some people wanna kill bosses vs some who don’t wanna deal with raids.

Outside of that I super agree. Even if you don’t all build together there’s a fun sorta parallel play aspect to knowing that the island you see on the horizon is someone else’s home and all that.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

mastershakeman posted:

the game gets old fast enough that i

Are we playing the same game?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've started having some weird framerate issues in Valheim. When I first start my game I'm fine at my base, I go to go mine some silver (portal directly from my base to where I'm mining), totally fine, BACK to base to unload some of the stone I've dug out and all of a sudden I'm getting single digit FPS.

I then tested on an older character and the same exact thing happens, fine at first, go to mountain biome, fine, back to base, slow downs. I teleport to a few more locations and it's still low FPS.

Anyone had anything like this?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I've had similar things happen in the past when they transitioned from the old terrain modification to new (to address construction dropping framerate so much), when I've had too many items loose on the ground (I made a pit of heads once), and with the planbuild mod. If it's an old world, maybe try the console command to update terrain generation and if it's new maybe go into debug mode and use the command to remove all drops. I've also had screwy things happen to frame rate and graphics on multiplayer servers when one player with a bad connection is staying at base and others are moving in and out.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

It's a new world, but I was making coal so I'll clean those up and see if it fixes it.

Edit: Loaded the game back up and couldn't repeat the issue, before or after scooping up all the coal. Little bit annoying, as I don't feel like it's actually fixed permanently.

Edit: It happened again without the coal. Hard to say what specifically is triggering it as I went through portals a bunch of times before it happened, then it was happening only at my base, not in the mountains where I was mining. Logging out and back in doesn't fix it, but restarting the game does.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 25, 2022

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Spent ~2 hours taming a wolf with all that goes into that "experience".

Oh, that's cool, they'll follow you!

Proceed to run around the meadow area and watch as it kills animals for a few minutes. Kind of cool.

Turn around and it's gone. Disappeared. No idea where it is. Logged out and came back in and it's still gone.

Is this "working as intended" and I did something wrong to cause him to poof? One of the most unsatisfactory and frustrating experiences I've had in game in quite awhile.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Here's what's gonna happen. You're gonna forget about that wolf, it's gone, poof like you said. Eventually someday you'll be wandering around and some fuckass fuling is gonna attack you out of nowhere and BOOM that wolf pops out and attacks the fuling. It dies of course because it's just a wolf, but it distracts the fuling just long enough for you to equip the right weapon and eat a lox meat pie so you can take it down. You'll cry, and quote this post, and thank your lost wolf.

Next time tame two wolves so you can make more wolves so you can still have the others back at base when you take some out hunting.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

AccountSupervisor posted:

Weve finally got a great modded and upgraded world of our original seed going and its breathed a ton of new life into this game.

Epic Loot, the mods that add new tiers to biomes of gear, enemies, bosses, mini bosses and mats and a bunch of cosmetic and QoL mods to add more reasons to farm materials have really added some new complexity to the game loop and its been a blast so far.

Im excited to see what Iron Gate does officially because these mods all together have really shown how layered the potential is for this game and I hope theyve taken a lot of the modding work into consideration for where they can take it.

I'm just getting back into the game and this sounds awesome. If it's not too much trouble could you please list what mods you're using?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sand Monster posted:

Spent ~2 hours taming a wolf with all that goes into that "experience".

Oh, that's cool, they'll follow you!

Proceed to run around the meadow area and watch as it kills animals for a few minutes. Kind of cool.

Turn around and it's gone. Disappeared. No idea where it is. Logged out and came back in and it's still gone.

Is this "working as intended" and I did something wrong to cause him to poof? One of the most unsatisfactory and frustrating experiences I've had in game in quite awhile.

Did the wolf spawn at night? I remember there being an issue with wolves (and boars) that spawn at night despawning after being tamed in some circumstances.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

LLSix posted:

Did the wolf spawn at night? I remember there being an issue with wolves (and boars) that spawn at night despawning after being tamed in some circumstances.

I don't know when it spawned but I brought it from the Mountain during the day.

pik_d posted:

Next time tame two wolves so you can make more wolves so you can still have the others back at base when you take some out hunting.

Yeah I should have done this for sure. Oh well.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Have an odd thinger happened thought I'd ask you guys. I've been playing off and on since the old days, and this has never happened to me before. Single player game, no mods/cheats etc.

I was kiting a troll to finish building out troll leather and I had a sudden slowdown (possibly world save, things were kind of hectic?) and the troll pasted me with a club. I'd drawn him into the meadows pretty close to my base so I thought ugh, but fine.

Where it gets weird is that I was so close I figured I'd run and gun over there except.... there's no death marker Day XX on the map. I retraced my steps from the skeleton crypt I'd been raiding all the way to my base and I can't find the troll, the tombstone, or even stranger, no trace the fight happened. As you guys probably know if you're fighting a club troll, there's usually a trail of wood/stone resources that's pretty easy to pick up, but there was no trace of it even though I'm 100% sure I crossed that trail. I also killed 4 gray dwarves during the fight and no trace of their goodies. I've been over the ground again and again since it's only about a 2 min run from base and I can find no trace of it.

I've read up on tombstones disappearing, but it seems like an exclusively multiplayer thing, or potential bad interaction with mods, neither of which are possible in my particular case. Is it just gone?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

New blog about the mistlands.

https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1519998263713271812

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

pik_d posted:

If you don't have 20 wolves roaming around your base, letting them breed indiscriminately like some kind of Viking trailer park hillbilly, you're doing it wrong.

I've had this really weird issue where for some reason my left/right triggers are swapped. This only happens with Valheim, I haven't messed with any settings, and I'm not sure what's causing it. It has resulted in me getting pasted by a troll more than a couple of times because I hit LT to block :(

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Scaramouche posted:

I've read up on tombstones disappearing, but it seems like an exclusively multiplayer thing, or potential bad interaction with mods, neither of which are possible in my particular case. Is it just gone?

I've e had things not save for sure, it's been a trend at some points and I'm still trying to get the right combination of steps to replicate it so i can know what not to do. Lately I've been trying to stay on the server at least until i see the next "world save" before i log off after making changes, and i think that's been helping. Did you log off or lose con right after?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thx for the reply, I never actually lost connection that I could see, as said the troll swung a club and my corpse just bounced in very slow frame rate. I ended up at base naked as per per normal, with no performance problems. I ran back to the general area and pulled up map to see where the grave marker was, but there was no marker. I spent about 30 minutes carefully going over the ground of the fight but didn't find anything, not grey dwarf remains, not smashed trees/rocks, not the troll, and obviously not my tombstone. As said the "server" in this case was my own computer since I was just doing single player.

My guess is now it's a wash, but was hoping there was a console command like LastDeath x,y but I'm pretty convinced even if I had the exact coordinates there wouldn't be a gravestone there, and as far as I can tell such a console command doesn't work.

Edit-after all that I went back to my base and quit while sitting on my bed and it's saved up until that point, e.g. naked and still with the no skill loss status.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I lost a tombstone for the first time the other day, had always retrieved my corpses before that and I was wearing like...all the good stuff I had, feeling like I'm immune to actual gear loss, still only in the Iron Age though.

What happened was I died to some eels and came back and got my corpse, but then about 30 seconds after I picked up my stuff my game crashed (unusual for me) and then when I came back I was rollbacked back to spawn again naked, and had no tombstone, I combed over the place I crashed and the original death site and found nothing.

Having to make a kind of fresh start with my inventory, I got the motivation to add the Epic Loot and Valheim Legends mods, so I now have new abilities as a "Duellist" class, and the new Iron Sword I lost is now replaced with this from the Epic Loot mod, via doing bounties on named mobs from the upgraded trader in Valheim Legends:

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I lost a tombstone for the first time the other day, had always retrieved my corpses before that and I was wearing like...all the good stuff I had, feeling like I'm immune to actual gear loss, still only in the Iron Age though.

What happened was I died to some eels and came back and got my corpse, but then about 30 seconds after I picked up my stuff my game crashed (unusual for me) and then when I came back I was rollbacked back to spawn again naked, and had no tombstone, I combed over the place I crashed and the original death site and found nothing.

Having to make a kind of fresh start with my inventory, I got the motivation to add the Epic Loot and Valheim Legends mods, so I now have new abilities as a "Duellist" class, and the new Iron Sword I lost is now replaced with this from the Epic Loot mod, via doing bounties on named mobs from the upgraded trader in Valheim Legends:

mods really do make the game a whole different experience.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With the loot mods like that, do the mods do anything to increase the challenge or are you just walking around overpowered all the time?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

With the loot mods like that, do the mods do anything to increase the challenge or are you just walking around overpowered all the time?

The modpacks do for sure, not specifically Epic Loot but many of the packs like Epic Valheim up the difficulty.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah there's lots of mods that equally up the difficulty. I ran with Epic Loot and a bunch of other things on my last playthrough and I would say it was about par for difficulty.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Is there a goon Valheim Discord server?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Hey cool, I just lost my character and inventory on death too. I got killed by wolves and exited out of the game via the menu before I respawned. The world was as expected but no marker and no body.

I've quit before respawn before and was using the menus and options available in the game (I didn't alt-f4), but I guess I quit at the exact wrong moment and messed up the save. So don't do that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh yeah very strange update on my own lost grave situation. I putzed around a bit shortly after but couldn't really build up enthusiasm to rebuild my goods so I saved in bed at base and didn't touch it for a week or so.

And then I came back, and the grave marker, all the battle debris, and the troll I'd been fighting all showed up in the map exactly where I had been looking somehow?? It was weird.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Holy poo poo, growths are so brutal. The slow down effect compounded with the knockback and poison. You can just get chainbumped/slowed to death so easily.

Edit: The answer was fire arrows and lead them to a lox

pik_d fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 16, 2022

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

pik_d posted:

Holy poo poo, growths are so brutal. The slow down effect compounded with the knockback and poison. You can just get chainbumped/slowed to death so easily.

Edit: The answer was fire arrows and lead them to a lox

Easily one of the most infuriating mobs, if not #1 on the list. They have a pretty big agro range, too.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah but one mob is somehow almost completely even with a single lox. Twice now since that post I've brought one to the other, and the lox was one fire arrow away from death by the time all the growths were dead.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If no lox or fuling camps are nearby then the only safe way to take them down is shoot and scoot. It always feels lame but corpse runs are even less fun.

Deathsquitos are worse overall I'd say. Growths have never spawned behind me and killed me while I was checking inventory.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if its because the Plains is the current "end" or something else but to me every Plains enemy feels overly powerful even if you've got completely upgraded Plains-level gear. Every other biome you eventually reach a point where it feels like you've "conquered" the region and can handle enemies, whether that's because you've learned their attacks and how to deal with them or because you've upgraded your gear enough that you can just power through whatever they throw at you. But fulings, shamans, berserkers, growths, and lox (if you want to attack them) will wreck you in just a few hits no matter what you are wearing, wielding, or eating. That's not necessarily a bad thing by itself but the effort that's needed to upgrade Plains gear versus what it gives you in return has to date not felt in the player's favor enough.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If no lox or fuling camps are nearby then the only safe way to take them down is shoot and scoot. It always feels lame but corpse runs are even less fun.

Deathsquitos are worse overall I'd say. Growths have never spawned behind me and killed me while I was checking inventory.

It doesn't matter how far I have to kite things, I'm totally over taking on the growths myself.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I have a lot of fun kiting growths into fuling bases and vice-versa. I think I just enjoy the interaction, which is much more lucrative in the aftermath than greydwarves vs skeletons or everything vs golems. Also, character skill level does seem to make a massive difference in survivability. I've been using the same character for my past three worlds and I'm noticing fulings are much less of an issue now than on my first world. Parry-stab-stab tends to be enough up to one-star enemies. Meleeing lox is still suicide, though.

Question: was something about the world generator changed in the last update when the ice caves were added? My worlds seem to be composed of much larger continents with more shoreline features (small islands right off the coast and even archipelago-type chains). It's also easier to find places where meadows, black forest, and swamp biomes are reasonably close together so your initial base can be usable for longer. No complaints at all, I just don't recall it being the case before.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I don't believe anything changed there, you've only had 3 worlds so that's a fairly small sample size all things considered. Worlds are generated from a much larger set map, then things are adjusted so that there's definitely a meadows biome in the center of the map.

This is the larger seed map if you're interested. You'll be able to find "your" islands here, except possibly the starting island since that one had to be modified to suit your center of map

pik_d fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

It takes 5 clicks to get into my server, and then a password screen. This is incredibly irritating.