Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bardeh posted:

Also, I see a lot of Steam reviews complaining about a timer. My current main objective is to research the Codex Toxicorum, and all I need to start it is one purple seed. I've got plenty of every other type of seed, but have yet to get a mission I can reach in time that gives me a purple one. Does the game warn you if you're approaching a gameover state? I've been on this mission for quite a long time now, just waiting for missions to spawn that let me get a purple seed.
I think what happens is when the corruption on a planet is high enough it triggers a big mission where you have to destroy a chaos gate and if enough gates are left standing the game ends. I don't know for sure but the way the Inquisitor was talking and the cutscene that was playing gave a pretty big "this is the death timer, do something about it" vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Pierson posted:

I think what happens is when the corruption on a planet is high enough it triggers a big mission where you have to destroy a chaos gate and if enough gates are left standing the game ends. I don't know for sure but the way the Inquisitor was talking and the cutscene that was playing gave a pretty big "this is the death timer, do something about it" vibes.

5 planets lost to chaos corruption is the death timer iirc from the game devs previews. I may be wrong though.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 15, 2022

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm like 600 days in and I only hosed up one planet to chaos corruption and that was in the early game before I knew what I was doing. You can play this game for a very long time before you get close to any sort of failure state, as long as you prioritize doing missions on planets with the most corruption

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
speaking of loving up planets: what does the exterminatus missiles actually do? Do they just remove a planet from the system? How am I supposed to be using them

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Sipher posted:

Yeah my teleport strike crit interceptor with t2 falchions does like 90% of the work of my squad, it's amazing.

Haha yeah same - they are the most fun to play.

I usually roll out with two Interceptors, but one in particular got to level 9 before anyone else was level 7. He’s just a murder machine - it’s a thing of beauty.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

bamhand posted:

So I'm 500+ days in and killed the first reaper and still now Crowe. Is there a specific requirement to get him?

No, he's a random event. The only requirement is access to advanced classes (he's classed as a purifier despite have a sorta unique skillset)

If it makes you feel any better he's not great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm told this game rewards out-and-out aggression compared to your xcoms, and i'm all about that, so i've bought in

never actually won an xcom campaign tho, partly out of getting overwhelmed but mostly having all the tactical sense of a possum and getting people killed, which i was much more frustrated by than it probably deserved, but anyway: are there any newbie idiot traps waiting to catch me? all i know for sure about tactics games is that action-economy is extremely valuable

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

i'm told this game rewards out-and-out aggression compared to your xcoms, and i'm all about that, so i've bought in

never actually won an xcom campaign tho, partly out of getting overwhelmed but mostly having all the tactical sense of a possum and getting people killed, which i was much more frustrated by than it probably deserved, but anyway: are there any newbie idiot traps waiting to catch me? all i know for sure about tactics games is that action-economy is extremely valuable

Crits enable you to get resources you need to do research and upgrade gear so do not neglect crit abilities on your characters, and get the first barracks upgrade ASAP so you can have a better rotation. Outside that nah, this game is much more forgiving on the strategic lair than XCOM is imo as long as you don't completely neglect an upgrade path.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh wow Inquisitor Vakir is voiced by the same woman who does Y'shtola in FF14, Robyn Addison

withering sarcasm, be my sword :allears:

(e) has anyone noticed any bugs that'd make Grand Master mode a bad idea like XCom ironman was?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 15, 2022

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Endgame is pretty funny because I feel a lil' too powerful. I just did the Chaos Knight boss and killed it in 2 rounds. It was clear the inquisitor was going to do something scripted but since I killed the boss so fast nothing happened. Then the mission ends with the inquisitor insinuating she helped out a lot in the fight when she did literally nothing

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Psycho Landlord posted:

Crits enable you to get resources you need to do research and upgrade gear so do not neglect crit abilities on your characters, and get the first barracks upgrade ASAP so you can have a better rotation. Outside that nah, this game is much more forgiving on the strategic lair than XCOM is imo as long as you don't completely neglect an upgrade path.

There's a skull you can equip that rips seeds out from range, without having to get a crit or get your guy in range. My purgator with + grenade skills and armor that increases grenade range (he can throw like halfway across the map) gets to use the thing 5x a mission. Way easier to collect seeds.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought the game. I've only played a few hours but I'm loving it, and I have to relate the point where poo poo Got Real for me.

One of the earlier missions, the one where you have to snatch the seed from a Poxwalker. I managed to stumble into a second group of enemies while fighting one pack already. Then the last enemy I needed to kill ran into one of my melee dudes, triggered the "free melee hit on an enemy that comes into melee range" ability and got splattered.

THIS then triggered an event where two rifts opened into the warp, and two more groups of enemies teleported in. And then I got told to hold on for three turns until I could be teleported out with now three and a half groups of enemies surrounding my Grey Knights who were stuck defending a small and mostly barren hill.

It was some of the most fun I've ever had in a turn based tactics game. I had to pull some insane ninja moves to keep my group alive and not fail the "take 20 points or less of damage" special condition I had picked for myself in my hubris. But I did it. I got my guys out.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Endgame is pretty funny because I feel a lil' too powerful. I just did the Chaos Knight boss and killed it in 2 rounds. It was clear the inquisitor was going to do something scripted but since I killed the boss so fast nothing happened. Then the mission ends with the inquisitor insinuating she helped out a lot in the fight when she did literally nothing
Sounds like the standard Inquisition M.O to me.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sipher posted:

There's a skull you can equip that rips seeds out from range, without having to get a crit or get your guy in range. My purgator with + grenade skills and armor that increases grenade range (he can throw like halfway across the map) gets to use the thing 5x a mission. Way easier to collect seeds.

Which requires research that in turn needs those seeds :v:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
This game looks cool. Question tho: What does replayability look like? The good thing about XCOM/XCOM2 is that its built like a long form rogue-like or strategy game that encourages multiple playthroughs. Gears Tactics was really disappointing in this regard, despite the gameplay mechanics being really great, since it focused so much on a narrative story. Does it seen like this game would be interesting through multiple runs or is it more of a once through and done?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I really don't think the combat is varied enough for multiple runs. The maps are all hand crafted too so they get repetitive. It's kind of a shame since the random events and stuff do lend more to a rogue like feel.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Yeah, mission objectives lack variety for the most part. "Go to one/two/three spots on the map and murder what's there" seems to sum up virtually everything there is to do outside of the handful of story missions. There is a little wiggle room in terms of squad compositions, at least on the lower difficulty levels where min-maxing everything isn't required, but I'm not sure if that's enough to carry an entire separate run or two.

That said, it looks like I'm about to finish the campaign at about 55 hours played and generally had a good time, so there's certainly a fair bit of game to be had.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah agreed.

The strategic depth/variety for multiple playthroughs doesn't really exist, not even on the level of something like Gears. Once you have a couple of abilities fully skilled-up your units are very powerful in basic gear, and once the upgrades start to roll in you only become more unstoppable from there. There really is no reason not to just run Justicar/Interceptor/Interceptor/Wildcard every level with X being your teleport-god librarian or sniper-Purgator or just a third Interceptor. On the strategic level there is no real complexity in the second half of the game which is a very simple loop of waiting for boss missions to unlock via research, and the stratagem system of once-per-mission super-abilities (later on you can use them 2 or even 3 times which make them even more busted) is kind of wasted since there are two that are over-and-above the best and then also-ran filler for your third.

I'm probably gonna end my campaign at 30 hours and don't really feel the impetuous to try a higher difficulty. No doubt though it's a super-fun 30 hours and I'm so glad a new Chaos Gate game exists after 20+ tears.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Got it, that's sort of the impression I was getting from skimming through the thread and reading some reviews, even though I was hoping for something to scratch that XCOM/Battle Brothers itch for run-based tactics games. I'll throw it on the wishlist and wait for it to go on sale then.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Does the don't take X damage in a mission deed include armor damage? That's some bullshit.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I bought the game. I've only played a few hours but I'm loving it, and I have to relate the point where poo poo Got Real for me.

Haha that was awesome, thanks for sharing. Would be cool to hear other people's poo poo Got Real stories.

I had a similar nasty one early on in my campaign.

Two portals dumped in reinforcements on either side of my team, and at the same time a wandering group decided to join the party too. So I'm surrounded 3v1 without much cover or WP.

No problem - I saved my Stratagems for just this kind of situation right? That's when I get hit with a bloom surge that blocked Stratagems for 5 turns. That's a real evil one.

To make matters worse, with my next attack I accidentally hit something that explodes and spreads fire everywhere. That was great fun!

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Ciaphas posted:

oh wow Inquisitor Vakir is voiced by the same woman who does Y'shtola in FF14, Robyn Addison

withering sarcasm, be my sword :allears:

(e) has anyone noticed any bugs that'd make Grand Master mode a bad idea like XCom ironman was?

I had a mission with the optional requisition challenge bugged. It was the "complete without using willpower" one, reward of +2 and penalty of -1. I completed the mission according to that limitation, and during the victory screen the steam achievement (for the same thing) popped, but the game reported the failure mode on the requisition screen. Reloaded a save and played the whole thing again, same outcome. I eventually limited it down to a single enemy turn where the objective changed to the fail state after I passed turn, even if I didn't make any moves on my prior turn. It cost me the ability to get one of the rewards I wanted from the armory due to the 3 requisition point swing.

So not a big deal, but still something that could be annoying in an Ironman mode.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 16, 2022

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

There is a timer I ran into outside of the morbus clock I got a game end state by taking too long to research the last tech that triggers the final fight, and I got warnings on it and ignored it. I can’t say for sure if there was some sort of timer outside of it, or if finishing the dominate kadex research and the associated combat misssion starts a clock to beat the game.

It was pretty short too. Kinda bummed because the very last research gives you a point of no return warning, which I feel should be on the dominate kadex research if it’s gonna start a fast game over timer to beat the game.

Far as replay value I’m already thinking I’m gonna give it another go. I feel like there’s a ton of viable team comps, and my a-team comp was definitely driven by rng on my tier 3 finds. And I had a couple insane tier 3 pieces that interfered with my gameplan so it ended up on a bench, but coulda been busted if i built a team around it. And oh man towards the end I felt overpowered but I also felt like I really needed to be.

Like the last mission you have to kill so much poo poo it’s such a slog and if you can’t do busted stuff I don’t think you can beat it.

Hope this game gets some dlc - there were khorne bros in the tutorial so i wonder if they got cut.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This game looks cool. Question tho: What does replayability look like? The good thing about XCOM/XCOM2 is that its built like a long form rogue-like or strategy game that encourages multiple playthroughs. Gears Tactics was really disappointing in this regard, despite the gameplay mechanics being really great, since it focused so much on a narrative story. Does it seen like this game would be interesting through multiple runs or is it more of a once through and done?

It's a long campaign and it's not super story focused... and the story is mostly "Nurgle is up to some nasty plague stuff here, please murder everything there ok?" It's not really until the very endgame that the story takes a few twists and turns. You also choose yourself when you progress the narrative most of the time with specific research. So that's good.

But, while the campaign has a fair amount of maps they do get repetitive (not helped by the characters doing the same short map intros every drat time). I've also been mostly doing the same gameplay stuff with my squad since the early game so the gameplay does get repetitive at the end as well, especially when your guys are leveled up and get no new skills. The metagame with the ship upgrades stopped being interesting halfway through the game unfortunately as well.

I will personally probably not do a 2nd run but I will look forward to any eventual DLC's that expand the game a bit.

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 16, 2022

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I had a mission with the optional requisition challenge bugged. It was the "complete without using willpower" one, reward of +2 and penalty of -1. I completed the mission according to that limitation, and during the victory screen the steam achievement (for the same thing) popped, but the game reported the failure mode on the requisition screen. Reloaded a save and played the whole thing again, same outcome. I eventually limited it down to a single enemy turn where the objective changed to the fail state after I passed turn, even if I didn't make any moves on my prior turn. It cost me the ability to get one of the rewards I wanted from the armory due to the 3 requisition point swing.

So not a big deal, but still something that could be annoying in an Ironman mode.

Seems like getting hit by a drained counts as using willpower. Is that what happened to you? Someone else in the thread mentioned they failed a willpower mission as well even though they never used an ability.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Think I saw that on the steam forums too. Thankfully there's enough options that the "don't use willpower" one doesn't pop up too often. I just skip it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I always skip that one. Not using abilities isn't fun!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
:same:

requisition points are good but making missions a slog isn't fun. someone upthread mentioned it but the tier 1 weapons aren't really worth it. there are a few standouts but it's better to save points to upgrade your drops when you do the grand master reports

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There's some exceptions, like the super stun stormbolter is T1 and extremely sweet.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

There's a t2 and t3 version of every weapon and armor permutation it seems

But some permutations are so good that even if you only get the T1 variant you'll use it and not notice the difference

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 17, 2022

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The AI in this game can be quite a thing. Many a times was I given a break when an enemy pointed his overwatch cone in a direction where absolutely no one was ever going to be coming from, and yet other times…

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's a t2 and t3 version of every weapon and armor permutation it seems

But some permutations are so good that even if you only get the T1 variant you'll use it not notice the difference

oh for sure. I've just learned to not grab everything at the end of missions. I wish there was a way to recycle some of the old weapons I still have laying around. would make it easier to spend points in the early game

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wish they would let you choose skills for your new guys too. Love to spend 3 requisition on a purifier and see that he's maxed out all the melee skills. The higher level you get a character the more likely they are to have useless skills.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Melee purifiers own though

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I recruited a high-level Justicar who didnt have Honor the Chapter or Terminator Armor, that was rough. He had lots of pockets though!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
That build might be viable now that Honor the Chapter got nerfed from "gamebreaking action economy button" to "expensive but extremely powerful utility button that you can only use like twice per mission".

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Another patch today that changes the balance.

quote:

Ave Imperator, Force Commanders.

A new update has been released by the Omnissiah to address a number of issues.

Corrupted saves in a Flowering mission
A fix has been added to resolve an issue where some players could experience corrupted saves during Flowering missions. We believe we have addressed this however if you do continue to experience these issues please let us know as soon as you can by reporting the issue on our Issue Tracker.

Balancing Changes
We have adjusted some of the recent balancing changes based on player feedback. A summary of these changes is included below:

Psychic Shriek:
Changed from single targeting to area of effect.
Reduced the ability's area of effect from 3 to 1.

Destroyer of Crys’yllix:
Restored the original Force Strike stun values (+1 Stun base / +2 Stun upgrade).
The seed cost of upgrade changed from 6 to 4 Dolorus seeds for increased damage and from 4 to 6 Mortus seeds for stun increase.

Empyrean Brain Mine
Restored the stun values of tier 1 from 2 to 3.
Stun values of tier 2 and 3 have been boosted.

Thank you for your reports and feedback. We will continue to investigate all reports sent to us and review your suggestions.

Praise the Emperor.

I also want to thank this thread for getting me to realize standing back and shooting doesn't work. I need to get as close as I can and punch things in the face.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

Melee purifiers own though

Doesn't do anything the Interceptor doesn't and can't fly around the map.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Apart from the very first choice when you get to choose one of the advanced classes, i've never seen a librarian as a reward for any mission. Almost 600 days into the campaign and it seems I will never see one of the major classes in the game before I finish it :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Apart from the very first choice when you get to choose one of the advanced classes, i've never seen a librarian as a reward for any mission. Almost 600 days into the campaign and it seems I will never see one of the major classes in the game before I finish it :/

Ditto but for chaplains in my case.