Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

e: for biosphere collapse and not posting about posters: https://www.eenews.net/articles/climate-change-doubled-the-likelihood-of-south-africas-floods/

the world really is getting insanely hosed up

Rectal Death Adept posted:

People don't have a problem with the concept of you posting elsewhere. We would prefer you go back to your weird 24/7 analysis of every aspect of Glenn Greenwald's life actually. It's that you come here with this "Just asking Questions" posting style then run back over there posting stuff like this

which gives a dickhead condescending safari vibe

If you actually are some non-internet poisoned extremely earnest human like a doddering elderly person that calls it "Electronic Mail" and got your first computer that led straight to the glenn greenwald thread somehow then endlessly flailing around in a shitpost zone screeching that people are being mean and aggressive to you comes off as attention seeking, dumb and/or trolling. There seems to be no actual reason for you to want to post here due to your complaints in multiple threads about posting here. Your posting here is almost entirely about how you don't like posting here.

I don't go to your thread making dozens of posts about how glen greenwald is an extremely stupid nobody and a 24/7 megathread dedicated to him has obviously driven you all insane. I don't want to post there so I definitely wouldn't set up shop in that thread to post about my reaction to the posting there. It's weird and if I were doing it it would be to make all of you mad which is what people think you are doing now.

edit: I realize it's not important or helpful to try and hash something out with you, so here's my reply:

Take a break, don't talk to me, and stop posting about me.

NeatHeteroDude has issued a correction as of 21:04 on May 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

I don't think that's true. The only lookalike I know of isn't hollow, morels should be hollow. But still you are right in practice, absolutely proceed with mega caution when it comes to foraging mushrooms, but morels are one of the safest mushrooms you can forage.

Indeed you would have to be quite a noob to confuse the poisonous Gyromitra Esculenta with a true morel, but it's probably worth at least a mention if someone is foraging for the first time and may have only seen morels in pictures.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

TheSlutPit posted:

Indeed you would have to be quite a noob to confuse the poisonous Gyromitra Esculenta with a true morel, but it's probably worth at least a mention if someone is foraging for the first time and may have only seen morels in pictures.

truth, and I never mentioned that my family has done quite a bit of morel hunting throughout my life, so I do appreciate you pipping up to help me avoid painfully dying of liver failure or whatever else those mushrooms can do

just want to try experiencing a bit of the natural world before it all goes to hell. Going to be a wild ride

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shut the gently caress up about glenn greenwald and glenn greenwald SA drama. there's a thread for it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you don’t want your posts to be quoted and discussed, possibly elsewhere, don’t post imo.

here’s some content I guess

https://www.ft.com/content/94a9e66a-069a-47e6-b6b4-e779614e3516

quote:

Mike Cannon-Brookes was transformed into one of Australia’s first two tech billionaires when Atlassian, the software company he co-founded, went public on Wall Street in 2015.

Since then the 42-year-old, who is usually seen wearing a T-shirt and baseball cap, has gained wider recognition in Australia for using his fortune to combat global warming.

Until this year, those efforts were confined to philanthropic ventures and a series of conventional green investments. But in February, Cannon-Brookes teamed up with Canadian investment firm Brookfield to bid for AGL, an Australian coal-based utility and the country’s largest carbon emitter

Although AGL rejected the offer, the Sydney native this month revealed he had quietly amassed a 11.3 per cent stake in the group. Cannon-Brookes says he intends to use the stake to force the closure of AGL’s coal plants, thwarting the company’s plan for a demerger that would see them spun off into a separate company and run for a further 20 years.

“The company is very wedded to a slow transition — a glacial transition if it’s any transition at all — away from its fossil fuel generating assets,” Cannon-Brookes said in an interview. “That’s bad for the climate, it’s also very bad for their economics.”

The billionaire’s targeting of AGL has reverberated across an Australian business world best known for its mining industry, which is under mounting pressure to curb its own emissions.

Zoe, partner at Sydney-based climate investment and advisory firm Pollination, says Cannon-Brookes’ climate shareholder activism is a first of its kind in Australia.

“I’m personally not aware of there being another case that’s got the overlay of activism that we’ve got here, but is entirely climate change-focused,” said Whitton.

The raid on AGL maybe the billionaire’s boldest move yet, but it is in keeping with a career that has combined entrepreneurial chutzpah with a concern for social and environmental issues. Cannon-Brookes set up a philanthropic foundation long before he made his fortune.

His career began in the late 1990s at the University of New South Wales, where he met Scott Farquhar and the two established Atlassian. The company, which they got off the ground with $10,000 in credit card debt before securing venture capital backing, develops products that help software engineers collaborate.

After making “don’t f**k the customer” one of its principles, Atlassian has found success by building flexible, open-source products that do not lock customers into expensive long-term licensing contracts.

The company’s market capitalisation has climbed from almost $6bn when it listed to $42bn, making Cannon-Brookes and Farquhar the fourth and fifth richest people in Australia, according to an annual list published by The Australian newspaper.

For now, Atlassian shareholders appear unfazed as Cannon-Brookes juggles running the company with his ambition to accelerate Australia’s shift to clean energy.

Jeremy Gibson, a portfolio manager at asset manager Munro Partners, which invested in the company shortly after it listed on the Nasdaq exchange in New York, said he was reassured by the “depth of management” at Atlassian, where Cannon-Brookes and Farquhar are joint chief executives. Cannon-Brookes insists his interests beyond Atlassian do not interfere with his “day job.”

However, his increasingly muscular activism in a country where climate change remains a polarising issue has put Atlassian under the spotlight.

The company has been accused of hypocrisy for paying very little corporate tax: it had a tax bill of just A$24.7mn in 2020 after paying nothing in 2018. That has given ammunition to critics who say it undermines Cannon-Brookes’ authority when he upbraids the government over its climate change policies.

Atlassian says its low tax bill is a result of its significant expenditure on research and development, spending that under Australian law can be deducted from taxable income.

The company’s co-founders remain close friends as well as business partners. In 2018, Cannon-Brookes spent A$100mn on a mansion on Sydney Harbour next door to Farquhar’s sprawling property.

But while Farquhar has kept a relatively low profile, Cannon-Brookes’ activism has made him a household name in Australia. He describes watching An Inconvenient Truth”, former US vice-president Al Gore’s 2006 film about climate change, as a “life arc” moment.

Although the failed bid for AGL is his most eye-catching intervention, Cannon-Brookes has already ploughed some of his fortune into green investments via Grok Ventures, his family office. They include Sun Cable, an ambitious plan to build a 20 gigawatt solar farm in Northern Australia and export electricity along an undersea cable to Singapore.

The software entrepreneur is not the first billionaire to take up the issue of climate change. In Australia, mining magnate Andrew Forrest has backed green hydrogen, and has also invested in Sun Cable. Microsoft founder Bill Gates has thrown billions of dollars into efforts to develop low carbon technologies.

But taking aim at a listed company has set Cannon-Brookes’ approach apart. It also makes a potentially bruising battle almost inevitable in the run-up to AGL shareholders voting on the demerger plan on June 15.

Cannon-Brookes is dismissive of the demerger, which alongside the coal-based generation business would create a retail business that buys energy from third party generators and sells it. The demerger would end the “gentailer” model popular in Australia, in which energy companies are both generators and retailers of electricity.

Instead, Cannon-Brookes argues AGL should remain a single company, use profits from its entire business to invest in low-carbon technology and shut the coal plants down sooner.

“If the demerger gets voted down, do you think that’s a vote of confidence in the board and management team?” he said. “Would it be tenable for them to stay on afterwards in significant number?”

AGL, which last week released a 356-page document detailing the benefits of the proposed demerger, say Cannon-Brookes has not presented a serious, detailed alternative.

With AGL stepping up its own preparations for the demerger, the outcome of Cannon-Brookes’ efforts will be closely watched as energy groups across the world wrestle with the future of fossil fuel-based businesses. Pension fund Aware Super has voiced concerns about AGL’s proposal, while other big shareholders, including BlackRock, have not joined the public debate over the group’s future.

Cannon-Brookes, who will spend the next month lobbying AGL shareholders, admits it will be an “uphill battle”, but is not short on self belief.

“What am I good at? Technology, business, finance, economics — all the ingredients required to make this transition. I’ll put those skills up against anyone on the board or management team,” he said.

atlassian: famous for not loving its customers

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 21:24 on May 16, 2022

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TeenageArchipelago posted:

truth, and I never mentioned that my family has done quite a bit of morel hunting throughout my life, so I do appreciate you pipping up to help me avoid painfully dying of liver failure or whatever else those mushrooms can do

just want to try experiencing a bit of the natural world before it all goes to hell. Going to be a wild ride

anyone who forages mushrooms has gotta be a fun guy

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

atlassian: famous for not loving its customers

are there any corporations that we could describe as actually green? Like, a company owned by people who have some stake in limiting the biosphere collapse to the point where they sacrifice (I assume) more money to lobby/use business practices that are nominally good for the environment? When I hear "Bill gates has invested in low-carbon technology," my assumption is that it's basically bullshit

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

mushroom people are the train guys of amateur ecologists and I mean that with as much love and affection as I can

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:yikes:

uhm so about that biosphere collapse...?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
makin my fuckin ego collapse with all these mushrooms

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mdemone posted:

going well

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
looking like it’ll be close to a hundred degrees in NY/NJ this weekend, plummeting to 70 a couple days later

these wild temperature swings are nearly as bad as the heat itself

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NeatHeteroDude posted:

are there any corporations that we could describe as actually green? Like, a company owned by people who have some stake in limiting the biosphere collapse to the point where they sacrifice (I assume) more money to lobby/use business practices that are nominally good for the environment? When I hear "Bill gates has invested in low-carbon technology," my assumption is that it's basically bullshit

You can find companies donating poo poo to make themselves feel good or you can find companies like Bill Gate’s that use public funds to hopefully generate massive profits, but it isn’t the scale of change required.

Like we’ve past the point where “low carbon” is a solution. We delayed so now “negative carbon” is the only thing that can work.

The UN IPCC says that for our current world order to survive we must undergo change so fast and so far reaching that there is no equivalent example in human history. You can consider that a fact.

That’s the scale of challenge faced and why lobbying or donations or slightly cheaper clean tech won’t make the difference.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cold on a Cob posted:

ac in my building is on but isn't working in my unit. poo poo like this reminds me that without ac people here in loving canada die in their overheated concrete apartments sometimes and it's just gonna get worse as the grid gets less reliable and we get more heat domes. we had almost 600 deaths last year, i wonder how we'll do this year?

the thing that kills me about all this and the "don't give up hope" crowd is we don't even seem to be too bothered about building local resiliency as a country, nevermind actually trying to reverse course

The power went out in my apartment last year during IIRC was one of the hottest days of that year. This big bad climate-pilled doomer didn't have a plan. What could I even do honestly? I can't DIY up a new power grid and can't install solar panels on a building I don't own. Right now I at least have a portable battery meant for jump starting a car, so that could at least run a fan for me until the sun sets. The only solution I had at the time was to sit in my car with the windows down, as I do not have any outdoor space that's actually mine and that I won't get run out of for not paying, beyond my parking space.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

You can find companies donating poo poo to make themselves feel good or you can find companies like Bill Gate’s that use public funds to hopefully generate massive profits, but it isn’t the scale of change required.

Like we’ve past the point where “low carbon” is a solution. We delayed so now “negative carbon” is the only thing that can work.

The UN IPCC says that for our current world order to survive we must undergo change so fast and so far reaching that there is no equivalent example in human history. You can consider that a fact.

That’s the scale of challenge faced and why lobbying or donations or slightly cheaper clean tech won’t make the difference.

The climate scientists in the article I shared specifically say it is not too late. That's the entire article. That's why it's more important than ever to join in efforts to bring about those drastic policy changes.

Are you arguing that we can't succeed, so why try? Doomerism isn't accepting and acknowledging that things are bad and going to get worse. Doomerism is obsessing over those thoughts to the point that they paralyze you and keep you from engaging in active work right now to mitigate what we can and adapt where we cannot. Doomerism is letting yourself give up.

The single most effective thing an individual can do to fight climate change is... to join other people and act collectively.

I look forward to (knock on wood) owning a home some day and putting up solar panels and rain catchments and all the rest. But, real change comes from mass mobilization and action. Find a local climate action group like Extinction Rebellion and join them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NeatHeteroDude posted:

edit: I realize it's not important or helpful to try and hash something out with you, so here's my reply:

Take a break, don't talk to me, and stop posting about me.

see, I think this is what was missing from your posts. you seem like someone who tries really really hard not to be mad at things or people or at least express it. we here are all burnt-out husks of rage with voices cracked from howling at a dying planet. telling another poster to gently caress off finally makes you seem sincere.

mdemone posted:

I scrolled through Twitter and didn't see anything about it so I assume it's on hold

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

extinction rebellion, lol

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

extinction rebellion, lol

:nsa:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

The climate scientists in the article I shared specifically say it is not too late. That's the entire article. That's why it's more important than ever to join in efforts to bring about those drastic policy changes.

Are you arguing that we can't succeed, so why try? Doomerism isn't accepting and acknowledging that things are bad and going to get worse. Doomerism is obsessing over those thoughts to the point that they paralyze you and keep you from engaging in active work right now to mitigate what we can and adapt where we cannot. Doomerism is letting yourself give up.

The single most effective thing an individual can do to fight climate change is... to join other people and act collectively.

I look forward to (knock on wood) owning a home some day and putting up solar panels and rain catchments and all the rest. But, real change comes from mass mobilization and action. Find a local climate action group like Extinction Rebellion and join them.

lol a+

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

NeatHeteroDude posted:

your assumption is correct.

now take the next logical step from what you've already seen. if transnational corporations are fundamentally incompatible with a future for the biosphere, then what does that say about global capitalism?

this is where you will begin.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
There's a shop by my apartment that makes really good cookies but they just started a new thing where with each purchase they give you a stupid little plastic sticker that you pull off to reveal whether you won a prize. So now I have to either go along with it and feel a tiny pang of guilt each time I buy cookies forever, or I have to be the person who voluntarily turns down $2 off my next batch like a loving psychopath.

Fly Molo posted:

Doomerism isn't accepting and acknowledging that things are bad and going to get worse. Doomerism is obsessing over those thoughts to the point that they paralyze you and keep you from engaging in active work right now to mitigate what we can and adapt where we cannot. Doomerism is letting yourself give up.

Where on this spectrum does my cookie sticker problem fall?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

The power went out in my apartment last year during IIRC was one of the hottest days of that year. This big bad climate-pilled doomer didn't have a plan. What could I even do honestly? I can't DIY up a new power grid and can't install solar panels on a building I don't own. Right now I at least have a portable battery meant for jump starting a car, so that could at least run a fan for me until the sun sets. The only solution I had at the time was to sit in my car with the windows down, as I do not have any outdoor space that's actually mine and that I won't get run out of for not paying, beyond my parking space.

the ac in my car has also stopped working, but i guess i can hide in the underground parking garage if things get desperate

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

oh wait nvm found something

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activity-and-adventure/shocking-reality-climbing-everest-2022/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Fly Molo posted:

Find a local climate action group like Extinction Rebellion and join them.

never heard of them, are they like a chapter of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement?

no paywall: https://archive.ph/lIenD

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fly Molo posted:

lmfao I missed this. you and NHD are made for each other

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Anyone who climbs everest is absolutely loving insane. Just stupid beyond belief.

Like yes, im going to go almost up to space and required to carry literal oxygen with me and even then, still loving dying and then im going to leave a bunch of trash all over this "pristine" landscape.

Oh and you know, if I die then im going to be made into a trail marker because everyone else is so close to death that there's no way the body can get brought down.

I'd make a joke that in like 20k years if somehow humanity survives, they'd just be confused as poo poo about whatever religious ritual made weird rich old people go up to the highest point on earth to die but its all melting anyway so those bodies wont be preserved much longer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

it's an syq, you idiot

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

Anyone who climbs everest is absolutely loving insane. Just stupid beyond belief.

Like yes, im going to go almost up to space and required to carry literal oxygen with me and even then, still loving dying and then im going to leave a bunch of trash all over this "pristine" landscape.

Oh and you know, if I die then im going to be made into a trail marker because everyone else is so close to death that there's no way the body can get brought down.

I'd make a joke that in like 20k years if somehow humanity survives, they'd just be confused as poo poo about whatever religious ritual made weird rich old people go up to the highest point on earth to die but its all melting anyway so those bodies wont be preserved much longer.

Imagine how much weirder it'll be if the mountaintop is covered in scorched bones! they'll probably just assume we sent our old people up there to die

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oxxidation posted:

it's an syq, you idiot

no way. that would be the first one I've fallen for in like, years. gotta give props for that

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

quote:

And with the climbing season in the Himalayas reaching its peak, with British mountaineer Kenton Cool reaching the summit for the sixteenth time, in the process breaking the record for the most successful ascents by a non-Sherpa, Tenzing Norgay’s son, Jamling Tenzing, admits his father would be appalled by the new reality in this once untracked corner of the Himalayas.
lol at this racist rear end stat

the record is 26

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

tell me you never suffered posting in dnd without telling me

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/xr_cambridge/status/1526109626307166209

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

tell me you never suffered posting in dnd without telling me

:agesilaus:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Loving that blue rare Europe

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

So for tea it really depends what kind you're into. If you only love green tea you're kind of hosed, but if you get into sheng pu'erh long-term storage is (unless you gently caress it up badly) going to maintain or increase use value. There's a lot to be said about ideal storage conditions but it's generally about 70-85 degrees, 60-70% humidity, regular air circulation and the obvious avoid direct sunlight etc. etc. If you store it in dry conditions cooler than that it's generally not going to go bad, it just won't continue developing flavors so you can be pretty lazy about just leaving it inside a mylar or ziploc bad in a cupboard in a lot of places (for now). Oolongs/reds/etc. tend to fall in between these extremes where they're going to lose some flavor over time, but the more heavily oxidized they are the longer they'll keep well.

So in short, 1. get really into shengs and 2. move to a really high mountain and start cultivating your own trees now. Unfortunately for me I'm in the northeast now and there are no mountains tall enough out here.

e: do still open bags up to give it some fresh air now and then if you're doing bagged cupboard storage.

Thanks for this!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mdemone posted:

It's very clear a lot of glenn wold posters have not done mushrooms showing ego is pointless and useless, and it obviously shows.

I'm going to focus on stockpiling good loose leaf teas for personal consumption, and instant coffee for trading purposes down the road.

I'm also getting a ton of backlog offline games for switch/3ds, a handheld emulator, and probably an old Thinkpad with extra parts for classic PC games and manuals. Plus kindles. Gotta have entertainment for full society crackdown.

My parents house already has a ton of solar panels and the ability to charge off them, and I got one Jackery already. I figure actual collapse in 1st world is 10/15 years away, but the last couple things like coffee will probably go up to at least $30 dollars a cup. Also stocking up on things like soap seem like a good idea, and going to start learning pottery and other poo poo that is useful.

LionArcher has issued a correction as of 22:43 on May 16, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Fly Molo posted:

I'd like to echo this - I think Extinction Rebellion's commitment to practicing dissent that neatly fits within a capitalist system really shows that you can fight for a better world without making people too upset.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

LionArcher posted:

It's very clear a lot of glenn wold posters have not done mushrooms showing ego is pointless and useless, and it obviously shows.

I'm going to focus on stockpiling good loose leaf teas for personal consumption, and instant coffee for trading purposes down the road.

I'm also getting a ton of backlog offline games for switch/3ds, a handheld emulator, and probably an old Thinkpad with extra parts for classic PC games and manuals. Plus kindles. Gotta have entertainment for full society crackdown.

My parents house already has a ton of solar panels and the ability to charge off them, and I got one Jackery already. I figure actual collapse in 1st world is 10/15 years away, but the last couple things like coffee will probably go up to at least $30 dollars a cup. Also stocking up on things like soap seem like a good idea, and going to start learning pottery and other poo poo that is useful.

I don't smoke tobacco or drink, but I'm considering getting a little stash of both just for trades and bribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

no way. that would be the first one I've fallen for in like, years. gotta give props for that

hell yeah ive still got it :tipshat: